Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-16-2004, 09:57 AM   #161
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Rasheed Wallace

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
I wonder how he'll adjust to being second or third banana to a player like Dirk.
I think he'll love it. While he has the talent, Sheed's never shown any interest in being the top guy and leading a team.
However, he has shown plenty of resentment toward The Man. I doubt he'll love it.

I can only imagine what fan reaction in Dallas might've been if Wallace had been a Maverick when he made his recent comments about the NBA "exploiting" black players.

What Dallas most needs right now, is a defensive-oriented 4/5 to take the heat off of Dirk on the defensive end of the floor. You think Wallace won't notice and resent being Dirk's defensive caddy? And if that's not the role that the Mavs' "braintrust" has in mind for Wallace, WTF is the point of this acquisition? Sabotage?

Yeah....I doubt Wallace is going to love it.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2004, 09:58 AM   #162
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Wallace has never been a guy that demanded alot of shots. For his career, he's at 12.9 attempts per game. This year, he's right around 15.

There's always been issues with Wallace not demanding the ball. I've always heard that he can be lazy on offense and can drift a bit on that side of the court.

Hey, I wouldn't have a problem with him coming in and taking 13-14 shots a game especially if Walker's attempts start to drop. He spends a bit too much time out beyond the arc, but he does have a nice low post game. And, he would instantly become the best defender of the new 'big 5'.

So, am I for the deal. No, not yet. Is there any way the Mavs can include Najera in this package?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:58 AM   #163
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Donnie said yesterday that they have talked to John Nash about a trade since Dec. 23...go figure...

The idea of dumping TAW's contract certainly appeals to me...but, for me, I also need to see another 5 coming to Dallas...add Dale Davis into this deal for Najera...and you're starting to get my interest.

I can't even believe that I'm considering BOTH Wallace and Walker on the Mavs...Sheeesh !
I have said it before...but you are going down the wrong path if you add both Rasheed and Walker to the current Mavs team. Walker has been great here but lets remember he is in his best shape of his life and is also on his best behavior this year. With both Rasheed and walker I think you are starting down the road that will lead to a big dead end.

Maybe Nellie is right for wanting to jump ship.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:00 AM   #164
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Donnie said yesterday that they have talked to John Nash about a trade since Dec. 23...go figure...

The idea of dumping TAW's contract certainly appeals to me...but, for me, I also need to see another 5 coming to Dallas...add Dale Davis into this deal for Najera...and you're starting to get my interest.

I can't even believe that I'm considering BOTH Wallace and Walker on the Mavs...Sheeesh !
Donnie may not have talked to him, but I bet Cuban has. Funny how these guys carefully word what they say.

I'm like you, OP. I'd prefer another 5 coming back for this deal to happen. Still, if you look at the proposed minutes I posted above, it may not matter. Rasheed, Dirk, and Walker are going to play about 38 minutes each, and Howard's going to get around 20 minutes in the frontcourt. That only leaves 10 minutes per game for a backup center. Surely Shawn can fill that role. Also, I don't think Dale Davis would make that much of a difference for us in 10 mpg or be particularly happy in that role.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:02 AM   #165
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Conspiracy theory here:

What if this trade goes down with both Jamison and TAW leaving.

Wallace is in final year.
Walker one more year.

If Finley gets moved or his exposed to expansion draft and is taken (which I doubt he would be taken),

Then Cuban is suddenly clearing out a lot of large, long-term contracts.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:03 AM   #166
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
I have said it before...but you are going down the wrong path if you add both Rasheed and Walker to the current Mavs team. Walker has been great here but lets remember he is in his best shape of his life and is also on his best behavior this year. With both Rasheed and walker I think you are starting down the road that will lead to a big dead end.
Definitely a legitimate concern with the strong personalities of Antoine and Rashweed and the passive personalities of the Big Three.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:04 AM   #167
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Conspiracy theory here:

What if this trade goes down with both Jamison and TAW leaving.

Wallace is in final year.
Walker one more year.

If Finley gets moved or his exposed to expansion draft and is taken (which I doubt he would be taken),

Then Cuban is suddenly clearing out a lot of large, long-term contracts.
True. And if Cuban is REALLY getting a sweetheart deal, he'll figure out a way to make them include Najera for Davis like OP suggested. That would dump another long term deal Cuban never should have handed out.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #168
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Dunno about that KG...old friend...my concern is Shawn's back and his knees...and iny injury on the frontline...I'm just trying to be REAL careful here...Shawn's had to man inuries in the last 12 months for me to be real comfortable...That's really what I meant...I don't consider Dale to be any big time thing...After all a very short limited Fortson gets minutes now.

The whole issue at the 5 just scares me...I wish that was the real direction that we were going...
Old 01-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #169
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Scattershooting...

With Davis in the deal and Najera going back (actually, you have to include Delk too), what does the rotation look like?

Wallace 28 - Davis 20
Nowitzki 38 - Wallace 10
Walker 35 - Howard 13
Finley 35 - Howard 13
Nash 32 - Best 16

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #170
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Dunno about that KG...old friend...my concern is Shawn's back and his knees...and iny injury on the frontline...I'm just trying to be REAL careful here...Shawn's had to man inuries in the last 12 months for me to be real comfortable...That's really what I meant...I don't consider Dale to be any big time thing...After all a very short limited Fortson gets minutes now.

The whole issue at the 5 just scares me...I wish that was the real direction that we were going...
I agree. If you add Davis, he's insurance if Shawn can't play any more this season, or can't play effectively. With Davis, you have a rock solid 8 man rotation (the new "Big 5" plus Davis, Howard, Best), and anything Shawn gives you is a big bonus.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #171
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Definitely a legitimate concern with the strong personalities of Antoine and Rashweed and the passive personalities of the Big Three.
OH SWEET CONTROVERSY!!

(Minor criticism KG... you know I love your posts but let's be careful using Vescey's Rashweed phrasiology. If that nickname gets into the wrong hands it's going to be as tiresome as referring to the Allas Mavs.)

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #172
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the Mavs could somehow pry Davis off their hands for spare parts including Najera, I really don't see any question about whether or not the deal should be made.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #173
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Good point, V. If you've noticed, I very rarely use nicknames for players for that very reason. I just thought that one was particularly appropriate for the moment; I intend to retire it in the near future, whether he comes here or not.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:16 AM   #174
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Rasheed Wallace

Davis
Rasheed

for

Jamison
Abdul-Wahad
Fortson
Najera

Works according to realgm
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #175
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
If the Mavs could somehow pry Davis off their hands for spare parts including Najera, I really don't see any question about whether or not the deal should be made.
You're probably right.

Again, this trade helps the Mavs dump three long-term contracts plus acquire help inside; I don't know how in the world they could walk away.

In the offseason, you have the option of trying to re-sign Davis or of letting him walk and going after Tag.

As for Wallace, well, I don't think he'll walk if we get him. He won't get nearly the cash elsewhere, and we all know it's about who CTCs for him.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:19 AM   #176
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

ape - Exactly. Hopefully that's the deal Allen was pondering last night.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:20 AM   #177
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I did like Uberfan's "conspiracy theory" post....

I read something of interest about the expansion draft the other day...it suggested that we could pay $3 mil to have them pick a specific player...I believe I read that in an ESPN article...

I don't know if that's true...I didn't research it...just thought I'd through a little more fuel on the conspiracy file.

Just imagine...in the past 12 months, we ALREADY gotten rid of some terrible contracts....raef and esch...now imagine getting rid of TAW's and Eddie's....that's some nice movement away from some things that we all thought would really lock us up....
Old 01-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #178
Murphy3
Guru

Ouch, do you really think Portland would want Najera's, TAW's, Jamison's, and Fortson's contracts?
That would be a huge hit for Portland to take.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:26 AM   #179
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

It looks like Portland will be doing a move soon. They are losing games because of how unsettled the players are. They won't be able to wait until the trading deadline to get the best deal because the team will be dead in the water by then.

If we DO acquire Wallace then next offseason maybe we can do a sign and trade - Wallace for Iverson.

Quote:
http://oregonlive.com/blazers/oregon...7997122040.xml

From Portland Paper:

.....The trade talks involving the Trail Blazers are no longer speculation. Owner Paul Allen on Thursday acknowledged rumors that the team is considering a trade are true and current, as evidenced by his 30-minute meeting with team president Steve Patterson and general manager John Nash during the third quarter of the Blazers' 105-96 loss to the Phoenix Suns at the Rose Garden.

After the game, Allen said he is contemplating whether he should pull the trigger on a proposed trade.

"Trade. Not to trade. I don't know," Allen said before walking out of the arena........
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:26 AM   #180
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Ouch, do you really think Portland would want Najera's, TAW's, Jamison's, and Fortson's contracts?
That would be a huge hit for Portland to take.
For an owner that is richer than Cuban? Pocket change.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:32 AM   #181
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
It looks like Portland will be doing a move soon. They are losing games because of how unsettled the players are. They won't be able to wait until the trading deadline to get the best deal because the team will be dead in the water by then.

If we DO acquire Wallace then next offseason maybe we can do a sign and trade - Wallace for Iverson.
As much as I like Iverson, I can't see either team doing something like that. Iverson is the face to that franchise. I haven't heard a disgruntled peep from him since Brown left.

But having Wallace and Walker on the team certainly gives us some pretty good ammo for trades this summer. It might not be Iverson the Mavs are eyeing, but that doesn't mean they aren't looking at someone else.

Of course, if they want to go with Nash, Finley, Walker, Dirk, Rasheed, and Josh Howard for the next 5-8 years, they can do that too.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:34 AM   #182
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

The trade ammo thing is a great point as well. Wallace will be valuable in sign-and-trade scenarios, and Walker's trade value has already been discussed.

Bring on the question marks, I guess.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #183
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Both IVERSON and WALKER on the Mavs...oh, HELL NO !!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #184
Max Power
Banned

The Iverson trade was mostly a joke to see if murph's head would explode.

Mostly. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #185
madape
Diamond Member

Q: What do Vernon Maxwell, Nick Van Exel, Christian Laettner, and Danny Fortson have in common?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #186
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

All head cases...who the Mavs acquired at some point?
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:51 AM   #187
Murphy3
Guru

With the exception of Christian Laettner, they're all spares?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:57 AM   #188
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With the exception of Christian Laettner
?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #189
madape
Diamond Member

A: They were all considered "trouble children" or "cancers" before aquired by the Mavs, and none caused any chemistry problems while they were here.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:13 AM   #190
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
A: They were all considered "trouble children" or "cancers" before aquired by the Mavs, and none caused any chemistry problems while they were here.
Although there is always as first time.

I would not have minded Laettner coming back. He would have been a good 5 on this team the previous two years.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #191
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Saw someone speculate on LMF that Stepania was included in the deal, and he can't be dealt until 1-22-04. Perhaps that's why they're delaying.

End the speculation, Mark. I'm going nuts!

Old 01-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #192
V
Golden Member

Sheesh ... Stepania airballed consecutive free throws last night... but he IS a big robot, er I mean body...

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 11:35 AM   #193
OutletPass
Diamond Member

I guess my Dale Davis idea won't really work...that would leave the B;azers with Stepania and Reben BB at the 5 and I just can't see them doing it...so leave me out...

There's just too much risk in Wallace not re-signing...somehow, Portland has to offset that risk.

There was also a post on LMF, KG, which I thought was interesting...

Rasheed Walllace for...
Tariq Abdul Wahad
Danny Fortson
Tony Delk
and part of the $1.326 mil Trade Exception Dallas holds.

The author claims that this trade also works under the CBA...though I haven't checked that.

I can't see portland doing it...but hell, I'd have to do that one...you have to do that one in a minute.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #194
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Don't want Stepania; just thought I'd mention that his name was still floating around as well.

Old 01-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #195
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
I guess my Dale Davis idea won't really work...that would leave the B;azers with Stepania and Reben BB at the 5 and I just can't see them doing it...so leave me out...

There's just too much risk in Wallace not re-signing...somehow, Portland has to offset that risk.
I agree. No Jamison/Walker swaps unless Davis is coming back.

Quote:
There was also a post on LMF, KG, which I thought was interesting...

Rasheed Walllace for...
Tariq Abdul Wahad
Danny Fortson
Tony Delk
and part of the $1.326 mil Trade Exception Dallas holds.

The author claims that this trade also works under the CBA...though I haven't checked that.

I can't see portland doing it...but hell, I'd have to do that one...you have to do that one in a minute.
Just checked it using Marquis Daniels as the substitute for the trade exception...and it does work. No way Portland does this, however. Why would they take on 4 years of Wahad and Fortson plus 2 years of Delk when they can just let Rasheed walk?

They'll take a bad New York deal before they'll take on that hideous deal.

Old 01-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #196
V
Golden Member

Seems many Blazers fans are getting cold feet ... I'm seeing plenty of posts along these lines:

"Anyone notice we can't win without Sheed? Even you Sheed haters have to admit we need him. Take my advice and stop messing with his head. Show some support and let him play hard. He will once he realizes the playoff streak is in trouble." - knightvato

"You idiots know nothing about basketball. Without Sheed Zack is nobody special. We need to let the team fully play together now we have Anderson back. With his outside shooting and ability to slash, it could turn this team around. I don't want to lose Sheed just to get rid of him. Jamison is like a leaner version of Randolph. I don't think they will compliment each other. Resign Wallace!" - freddyharb

"It's obvious that the Blazers can't compete without Rasheed Wallace playing. Zach Randolph isn't "Zach" with Wallace on the injured list. I still have faith that this team can turn it around. A few things have to happen first.1. Stop the trade rumours - nothing is going to happen yet.2. Get Sheed back3. Get the team playiing together notably with Derek Anderson back in the line-up. I think this will improve the team's perfomance with a solid inside Threat with Sheed and Zack, and the outside shooting and slashing ability of Derek Anderson." - PaulieWals

"This has been my team for my entire life and there's no way I could turn my back now!!! We've made the playoffs 21 years in a row!!! Lets find a way to keep that streak alive. Look, I know that crowd attandance is directly tied into winning, BUT we need to pack that damn Rose Garden and show these guys that this city, this state is behind them still- especially Mo Cheeks! Rasheed also- he has been a Blazer through and through now for a while- sure he's had his screw-ups, but front office needs to give him his extention and Mo needs to let him play 4 more often. We still have some of the best talent around, so please everyone stop doggin' these guys and lets rally and make the playoffs- we can maybe shut this national media up and keep our Rip City pride alive! GET IT TOGETHER FANS!" - jnics

"Bring Back Rasheed!! We suck a#$ without him. He mat be a punk sometimes, but I think the answer for this team involves keeping Sheed and Zach, and bringing in a consistent star type point gaurd. Not getting rid of Sheed just to get rid of Sheed. A good pg could open the floor up creating room for Zach and Sheed. We need someone who can get 7+ assists a night and 15+ plus points...." - Setha12

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #197
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

OP, one more thought on Davis: The Blazers know he's walking. Maybe they want to get something in return. Then again, they might rather have him walk than receive the package we're talking about...

Old 01-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #198
uberfan
Golden Member

Second Conspiracy Theory:

Portland is floating these rumors to either get someone else off the bubble (Denver?)

OR

They really want to resign Wallace to an extension after realizing there won't be anyone better for them in FA after 2005, and they have an offer of say $8 million per on the table and they want to scare him into taking for fear he goes to Mavs and won't be able come back to Portland next year for $10 million per (Portalnd would not have cap room next year). Some seem to think Wallace would really prefer to stay in Portland.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #199
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Interesting theory, there, uber. That might have some merit, especially if you believe that the Portland writers are making all this crap up.

Old 01-16-2004, 11:55 AM   #200
cdeleon

cdeleon is on a distinguished road

Doesn't Davis have a player option for next season? I'm not exactly sure but I remember reading somewhere that he is not a free agent after this season. What about doing the trade for Wallace and then trading Walker for a big man. Let's say Big Z, Ratliffe and Terry, or A. Davis. What do you guys think?
cdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote