Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 04-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default LA/Dallas

If the Lakers decide to Break up, and decide to only keep KOBE. Would you do this one?

L.A. Lakers trades: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
SF Devean George (7.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.4 apg in 23.8 minutes)
PG Derek Fisher (7.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.3 apg in 21.6 minutes)
L.A. Lakers receives: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
SG Michael Finley (18.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 38.6 minutes)
PG Steve Nash (14.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 8.8 apg in 33.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +11.1 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and +9.6 apg.

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
SG Michael Finley (18.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 38.6 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 67 games)
SF Devean George (7.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.4 apg in 82 games)
PG Derek Fisher (7.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.3 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -11.1 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and -9.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

The lineup would then look something like this:
Shaq, Bradley
Nowitzki, Najera
Jamison, George
Daniels, Howard
Fischer, Stefesson(or FA defending PG)

Fisher brings the ball down, throws into Nowitzki and spots up at the top of the key. Shaq down low. Nowitzki has opion to go to Shaq, or drive, or shoot. Jamison, and Daniels on the backside cutting/rebounding. Simplistic triangle offense that would be hard to guard.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE:LA/Dallas

It's a tough call but I would do it. You simply cant pass up on a chance to get Shaq. With Dirk and Shaq in the game...i would be scared for the other team.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Im sure the lakers could entertain better offers however. With both Nash and Finley as well as bryant on their team...they would be way over the cap so I dont think Walker would do much good for them unless they were planning on using him as trade bait anyways.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 04-27-2004, 12:28 PM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
Im sure the lakers could entertain better offers however. With both Nash and Finley as well as bryant on their team...they would be way over the cap so I dont think Walker would do much good for them unless they were planning on using him as trade bait anyways.
Who is it you are thinking they could get? that would trump 3 all-star caliber players. I know they aren't Superstars (Kobe would be that for the team), but they are definately "better than average" players.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 04-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

The rumor about Shaq leaving LA, and being traded to Dallas was something like this...All I can say is O'Neal's best days are behind him, and this would be giving up alot for him to stay heathly and stay as motivated as he has this season, but if he was to do both of those things we would have our first NBA champions banner in the AAC...

Dallas trades: PF Dirk Nowitzki (21.8 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.7 apg in 37.9 minutes)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (21.8 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.7 apg in 37.9 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -14.8 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and -8.6 apg.

L.A. Lakers trades: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
L.A. Lakers receives: PF Dirk Nowitzki (21.8 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.7 apg in 77 games)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (21.8 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.7 apg in 77 games)
PG Steve Nash (14.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 8.8 apg in 78 games)
Change in team outlook: +14.8 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and +8.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and L.A. Lakers being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and L.A. Lakers had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement

You would still have Finley, Jamison, and Walker. Them 3 plus Shaq isn't a bad 4 some, but I can see Cuban pulling the triger on this if the Mav's go down to the King's this year....
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'd definitely do the first trade and probably the second.

My only hesitation on the second trade is how much longer Shaq is going to play.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

These trades are almost too fantastic to see it actually happening, but if either offer is on the table, I think you'd go for it. I realize Shaq is aging, but if he came here next year, that will bring Dallas closer to an NBA title than they've ever been.

I'm not saying it's guranteed, but as long as Shaq is healthy and lean, I think he can lead Dallas to at least the Western Conference Finals.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #8
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

I would do the first trade and throw in a first rounder as well but I wouldnt do the second.

Old 04-27-2004, 03:21 PM   #9
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I would do the first trade and throw in a first rounder as well but I wouldnt do the second.
The problem is, the second trade is the only one that is remotely close to one that LA might actually do.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
The problem is, the second trade is the only one that is remotely close to one that LA might actually do.
Not if the decision is to keep Kobe, and Kobe says he is leaving if Shaq and Phil are still there. LA would do it without including Dirk, if that is the best deal they could get. Their lineup wouldn't look to bad either:

Nash
Kobe
Finley
Walker
A 5 needed like the rest of the league.

They would be over the limit, and so would Dallas.
I never heard the second "rumor": I only read that Kobe says he is going if Shaq and Phil are still there, and one writer thought they should keep Kobe over Shaq due to nagging injuries, age, etc..

Old 04-27-2004, 04:01 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The second one is the only one that I'd do from LA's perspective.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:45 PM   #12
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Not if the decision is to keep Kobe, and Kobe says he is leaving if Shaq and Phil are still there. LA would do it without including Dirk, if that is the best deal they could get. Their lineup wouldn't look to bad either:

Nash
Kobe
Finley
Walker
A 5 needed like the rest of the league.

I never heard the second "rumor": I only read that Kobe says he is going if Shaq and Phil are still there, and one writer thought they should keep Kobe over Shaq due to nagging injuries, age, etc..

It was an insider by Chad Ford can't remember the date..The trade posted was Nash and Nowitzki. I added TAW as a filter to make the salaries work, and picked him because I figure if you have a chance to move a bad contract why not him because how productive has he been through out this season, and for that matter how many minutes of PT has he logged so far.

There are only 3 players worth breaking up this team for in my book...

Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Yao Ming

Me personally..I would rather have Yao Ming from the Rocket's for the future center of this team he will be hitting his prime as Shaq is leaving the league.
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #13
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I'd do the first trade in a heartbeat. I would probably do the 2nd trade but I'd have to think about it..
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:10 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: LA/Dallas

No brainer on the first trade. I'm not sure I like the 2nd trade though.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:31 AM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
There are only 3 players worth breaking up this team for in my book...
I started this thread with the <u>assumption</u> that Shaq is leaving the Lakers after this year because the Lakers chose Kobe & he won't resign unless Shaq and Phil are gone. (only assumptions - not grounded in fact, just speculation)

I, from a LA perspective agree you shouldn't break up Shaq/Kobe, BUT if Kobe says he is going if Shaq and Phil are still here........Who are you going to choose?...Shaq or Kobe? (assumption Kobe)

If the choice is Kobe because of age, injuries, etc; who could you get better than Fin, Nash, Walker? I don't see you getting Garnett, Duncan, or Yao Ming, for an injury prone 30+ year old Shaq. I also don't think Dallas would have to give up Dirk, because Kobe is going to be the Superstar, and them trying to get All-Star role players is much more important than another Superstar.

I expect Kobe/Shaq to be broke up after this year either way.

Pure speculation all around because who knows what is going to happen with Kobe. I was just wondering whether people would do the trade, if the scenerio of Shaq becoming available were to arrive. I know that Shaq could retire, and Kobe could leave, and Kobe for TMAC/AI/VC could happen - along with 99 other scenerios.

Question I have, does Mark (or the posters here) make the trade above and sign Phil? Would LA make the trade if they know that Shaq has to go and Kobe is staying, or is their a better deal for Shaq that they could get?

Old 04-28-2004, 01:11 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I'd do the 1st trade, but not the 2nd because I don't think that Shaq has that much left in his tank.