Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-21-2003, 10:58 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Utah beats Dallas

The Utah Jazz defeated the Dallas Mavericks, 77-65, in the second game of the afternoon at the Reebok Rocky Mountain Revue at Salt Lake Community College.
Dallas controlled the tip and scored the first two baskets of the game before the Jazz went on an 8-0 run midway through the quarter to take a 16-8 lead. However, the Mavericks went on their own run scoring the last six points to bring the score within two, 16-14, at the end of the opening period.

The Mavericks tied the game at 16 and kept the game close in the second quarter but the Jazz held the Mavericks to only three points in the last five minutes of the quarter as they went on a 9-3 run and took a 35-27 lead to the locker room.

The Jazz extended their lead to 17 points in the third, lead by center Curtis Borchardt’s six points, but saw the quarter end with a 10-point lead at 54-44 as Quinton Ross hit a two-point bucket at the horn.

In the fourth, Dallas couldn’t close the gap as the teams matched baskets bringing the game to a close at 77-65. The Jazz moved to 2-1 while the Mavericks fell to 1-2.

Tyrone Ellis scored a game-high 16 points (7-13, 0-3, 2-2) for the Mavericks while Ira Clark and Yuta Tabuse both added 10 points. The Jazz had five players register double figures, Michael Ruffin and Mo Williams both scored 12 points, while Raul Lopez and Quinton Ross logged 11 points and Curtis Borchardt added 10 points. The Jazz out-rebounded the Mavericks, 39-27.

The Jazz will meet the San Antonio Spurs Tuesday evening at 6:00 in a game televised on nba.com TV. Dallas will have a bye on Tuesday and will resume play Wednesday at 4:00 against the New York Knicks.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Where Powell, Howard and Daniels not existent? Whose is the guy Yatu Tabuse?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:11 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised that someone mentioned them on this second team. I don't think they are playing at all. Just in the summerproleague in long beach. I assume it's over.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:14 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Utah beats Dallas

Someone will have to check the boxscore to see if Daniels, Howard, or Powell played. They might or might not have, but I can't check that.

I forget who mentioned it first, but the Mavs may already know what those players can bring and have sat them out to get better looks at other players.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:53 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

If thats true MFF than thats a smart move from the Mavs. Give even less exposure to some of our guys who teams may be interested in but I think it would be a smarter move to just sign the guys you think can help you now which I would think Marcus Daniels is the guy. The Mavs have handled there summer league and draft very well. I assumed they would handle the free agency pool well and not do so good with the summer league and draft.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:04 AM   #6
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

dude, the proleague in long beach is over, but that team is now playing in the Rocky Revue this week. All the players are the same, its the Boston team is totally different. They are also playing this week.

MFF and FFM, I agree, I think that they decided to let some of the other guys get some minutes.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:06 AM   #7
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Where Powell, Howard and Daniels not existent? Whose is the guy Yatu Tabuse?
Yuta Tabuse G 5-8 165
On the Mavs summer league team.
Can't find any other info as of yet.

edit for sp
Old 07-22-2003, 12:11 AM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Japanese PG...Mavs only team stupid enough to waste their time on him.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:25 AM   #9
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

he is the best player in Japan
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:28 AM   #10
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Yuta Tabuse

He seems like a decent little player, and I emphasize little.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:08 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

has there ever been a Japanese player in the NBA? If not, you can virtually rest assured he gets a roster spot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:00 PM   #12
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Think the Mavs have already seen enough of Howard and daniels to know that they may be able to contribute, but as far as powell is concerned...what in the world has he done in summer league ?

If they're thinking of signing poweel he needs to be playing and producing to a much great degree than he's done so far.

Again, this is Summer league and NOT the NBA. not even comparable in the slightest way.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:28 PM   #13
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Think the Mavs have already seen enough of Howard and daniels to know that they may be able to contribute, but as far as powell is concerned...what in the world has he done in summer league ?

If they're thinking of signing poweel he needs to be playing and producing to a much great degree than he's done so far.

Again, this is Summer league and NOT the NBA. not even comparable in the slightest way.
You a probably right about Howard. But I would rather see Howard play against the players in the Salt Lake city league. It appears to be a tad better competition. It would have been nice to see him match up with Qytel Woods from Portland and Deshawn Stevenson from Utah.

Daniels played 9 minutes last night and didn't score. I hope he didn't get hurt. Daniels will have a fight to make the team this year. I think he is a good 14-15th man next year, but I wouldn't expect him to contribute besides blowouts.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:43 PM   #14
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass

So true, OP. In the age of the internet, the summer league has taken on a whole different meaning. Ten years ago, the summer league was barely covered in the paper.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I saw Rex Walters in the NY summer league about ten years ago, which featured guys like Todd Day, David Wesley and others. I was convinced that Rex Walters would be an NBA SUPERSTAR. The guy absolutely dominated the competition. He could shoot like Mark Price, but he was a couple of inches taller and much more athletic. Plus, his handle was great. I was figuring he would be a 20 point, 10 assist guy for years.

Yes...Rex Walters. I was a little off, huh?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:38 PM   #15
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Amen to that Hitman...

When I mentioned Daniels in my previous post...it wasn't because I like him that much...it was simply because a lot of people on this board do...and the Mavs may well like him, too.

I take Summer league with about 5000 grains of salt.

Rex Walters, huh ? There are guys like that in summer league all the time, brother Hit.