Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-22-2003, 09:57 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default NYT-big trade not finalized with a small Dallas mention

Knicks Set to Trade Sprewell
By STEVE POPPER

or more than a year, the Knicks have dangled Latrell Sprewell around the league, looking for a taker. For nearly as long, the Knicks have flirted with the prospect of acquiring Philadelphia's Keith Van Horn. And shortly both goals might be accomplished in one bold move.

After a week of discussions that began with the Knicks and Sixers trying to work a deal and that has expanded in a series of incarnations involving different teams, a multiteam trade may now be taking shape and could be completed as early as today. However, multi-team trades are notoriously hard to complete and this one, like others, could end up dissolving although it is clear that the Knicks appear intent on reshaping their roster before the 2003-4 season.

Advertisement

In the version of the trade now being talked about throughout the N.B.A., the Knicks would get Van Horn from Philadelphia. The Knicks would send Sprewell to the Minnesota Timberwolves, with the Timberwolves shipping guard Terrell Brandon to Philadelphia. Although the often-injured Brandon has not announced his retirement, it is unlikely he will play again. A team that acquires him is clearly doing so for salary-cap reasons, with his salary eventually being wiped off the books.

While those are the key components, according to one N.B.A. team official, the deal could eventually wind up including other players.

The deal would need more pieces to work from a cap standpoint, with Brandon making $11.1 million this season, while Sprewell is to earn $13.5 million and Van Horn $13.3 million. Minnesota's Marc Jackson, who is 6-foot-10 and 270 pounds, could be shipped to Philadelphia along with Brandon to fill the Sixers' need at center. He played in college at Temple. A fourth team could be involved, but according to one team official, the deal is most likely to be done with only three teams.

Talk of Atlanta being involved has been denied, and according one official among the teams involved, Dallas has inquired about the possibility of obtaining Sprewell.

"There is nothing planned, nothing definite," one team official, who requested anonymity, said. "We're continuing to take calls and we'll see what happens."

For the Knicks, Van Horn has been an infatuation. Originally drafted No. 2 over all by the Sixers in the 1997, he was traded immediately to the Nets, having made it clear that he did not want to play for Philadelphia.

In New Jersey, Van Horn was hailed as a savior, but he did not meet the high expectations even though he produced outstanding numbers. As a rookie, after sitting out the first 17 games with an ankle injury, Van Horn averaged 19.7 points and 6.6 rebounds a game, and he improved those numbers to 21.8 points and 8.5 rebounds a game the next season. After posting similar numbers in his third season, injuries again caught up with him. He sustained a fractured left fibula during the preseason and missed the first 32 games of the 2000-1 season.

When he returned the next season, problems arose with point guard Stephon Marbury, and then in his last season in New Jersey, he sublimated his role behind Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin.

After a troubling season in which his performance was questioned by some teammates and his coach, Van Horn emerged as a force in the playoffs for the Nets, scoring 27 points in a critical victory in Game 5 over Indiana in the first round. But when his play fell off in the Eastern Conference finals, he was - without his name being mentioned - clearly criticized by Martin, comments that Kidd agreed with.

His fate sealed on the postgame podium, he was traded to Philadelphia last summer with Todd MacCulloch for Dikembe Mutombo.

Van Horn served as a second option to Allen Iverson in Philadelphia last season and although his numbers were good in the regular season - he averaged 15.9 points a game - he again lagged in the postseason, averaging only 7.8 points in the Eastern Conference semfinals against Detroit.

His reputation, mainly among teammates with the Nets and the 76ers, was that he was not tough enough to take advantage of his considerable skills. With the Knicks, though, Van Horn would provide size where there is none. At 6 feet 10 he would be replacing Sprewell in the small forward slot.

Sprewell's path out of New York may have been paved not by his play on the court, but in his clashes with management. Sprewell was suspended and forced to stay away from the team during training camp last season when he reported to the first day of camp with a broken bone in his hand that he had not informed the team about. But on the court, Sprewell was one of the key contributors once more, averaging 16.4 points and 4.5 assists a game.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: NYT-big trade not finalized with a small Dallas mention

When I saw the headline, I thought (stupidly) that the Mavs may be getting into upgrading the team finally.

Then I read it's about wanting to land Spreewell. What the hell for? What in the world are we having to give up to get him? NVE?
Old 07-22-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Only if somehow, someway, we manage to jettison Raef does that even become a possibility... unless Nellie thinks Spree can run some point. Because Fin ain't going for Spree, that's a downgrade.. so it'd have to be NVE. And I'd rather have NVE, at this point.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:24 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas trades: C Raef LaFrentz (9.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.8 apg in 23.4 minutes)
PG Avery Johnson (3.3 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 1.3 apg in 9.0 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Latrell Sprewell (16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 38.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +3.8 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and +2.4 apg.

New York trades: SF Latrell Sprewell (16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 4.5 apg in 38.6 minutes)
New York receives: C Raef LaFrentz (9.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.8 apg in 69 games)
PG Avery Johnson (3.3 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 1.3 apg in 48 games)
Change in team outlook: -3.8 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and -2.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

But why would we want Sprewell? And why downgrade our weakest position which is center?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to tell if we're just wanting to deal with NY or if we're working a 3-team deal.

A NVE/Esch for Spreewell works.

Or another scenerio would be...

Dallas trades: Raef/NVE

Dallas receives: Spreewell/Thomas/Harrington
Old 07-22-2003, 10:54 PM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

At this point I just wanna get rid of Raef so I don't have to read/hear people crying about his contract. Even though it's a dumb contract that pays him too much, everyone who gets paid to opine about sports (and many of us who don't) thinks that that single contract is the reason for EVERYTHING negative about the Mavs. Well that and a few other choice things... coughMauicough... I don't care if he wakes up one morning and has turned into the second coming of Bill Russell.. I just want to stop the crying.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:37 PM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Good Lord. If we are trading for Knick players... the only one we need is Kurt Thomas.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:50 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Only deal I want to see from the Knicks is a Bradley for KT trade or a AJ for KT/and baggage trade. I want the Mavs to get the bigger end of the deal when it involves the Knicks.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:50 PM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

CNNSI is now saying it's a 5-way and Sacramento is involved.

Sounds like this one is far from being settled [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 11:54 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan

Sounds like this one is far from being settled [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Every time Knicks are invovled in something there is always confusion.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:40 AM   #11
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan

If this thing isn't settled yet then Dallas needs to weasle its way in to the game. Kurt Thomas in a Mavs uni (again) would be a very nice thing.

mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:59 PM   #12
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road

All I wanted this summer was for Dallas to get a post up player. Mark Cuban- if you read this- please get involved in the 5 way for Kurt Thomas!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:17 PM   #13
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Marc Crawford was supposed to be a filler for the twolves side of the deal, I like Crawford he could really help us. If I could add Thomas and Jackson Id do it. Spree for finley would be making a trade for the sake of making a trade. Kandiman and steve nash have the same agent why the hell wasn't kandiman contacted. If we had we would be set without trading the big four.

I wonder what the bulls situation with donnyell marshal is know that they signed scottie. I am more concerned with brad miller going to the kings possiblity. If only brad miller said no I want to go to the mavs.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:30 PM   #14
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

It kinda seems to me that Dallas is getting into this trade, just to transact. No way would i except Kurt Thomas for NVE. If the Mavs were to do this trade, i would expect them to try to get Ratliff, or someone better. But since the Mavs arn't willing to give up NVE, and nobody is willing to take Raef, i don't see them doing this trade.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:53 PM   #15
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Trade has been completed.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote