Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-23-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default From ESPN - Mavs trying to trade Raef....no takers...

This is taken from the 7/23 ESPN Insider:

Who would've thought two weeks into the free-agent process that the Mavs would be left standing without a significant addition to the roster? Owner Mark Cuban has made pitches to just about everyone, but in an abrupt departure from previous seasons, no one seems to want his money. The latest Mavs strikeout went down Tuesday when Robert Horry agreed to a two-year deal with the rival Spurs.

That leaves Elden Campbell, Derrick Coleman, Tyrone Hill and Predrag Drobnjak as the best big men left on the board for Dallas. Only Hill fits the description of what Dallas is looking for -- a rugged low-post bruiser willing to do some dirty work in the paint.

Instead, the Mavs may have to try to swing a deal to get a player like that. They've been dangling Raef LaFrentz (he can't be traded until July 31) but no one seems to be buying. The Heat might have had interest in swapping Brian Grant for LaFrentz had they landed Elton Brand, but now they're unlikely to move Grant. The Knicks seems willing to part with Thomas, but it's unclear whether they'd really be willing to take LaFrentz in return. A deal of Thomas and Othella Harrington for LaFrentz would work under the cap. A LaFrentz-and-Evan Eschmeyer-for-Antonio Davis deal also isn't out of the question.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Quote:
A LaFrentz-and-Evan Eschmeyer-for-Antonio Davis deal also isn't out of the question.
I would do that Trade.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

But...but...but Raef has been working out?!?!?![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Of course there aren't any takers. These teams are probably being asked a lot in return (since Cuban thinks so highly of Raef) and he's just frankly not worth it. I know he's young and he could still improve (he even shows flashes of playmaking ability), but as is, it's not a good trade seeing Raef's production and salary for these other teams. Cuban is so effective at the mid-season trade because he's able to pick up a lot for little in return since teams already know where they stand and how they can start negotiating the salary cap for the following season. It'll be real hard to pull a off a shocking trade that heavily favors the Mavs before the season starts...before any team is eliminated from the playoffs and needs to start planning for next season.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:36 PM   #5
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

It would be a beautiful dream if Raef and huge spare Esch could get you Antonio Davis. Again, ESPN insider is posting fantasy trades. I wish...but not going to happen.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I just find it hilarious when I see Mavs trying to trade Raef than after it there is the no takers lol. What in the hell has Cuban gotten himself into. I believe teams would take Lafrentz though. I think its just a matter of what Cub wants and I believe he is wanting to much. KT for Bradley is what i'm waiting to see.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:51 PM   #7
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

i would rather keep bradley. He is playing decent game from last season as a back up until he got hurt in the midseason.
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:52 PM   #8
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: From ESPN - Mavs trying to trade Raef....no takers...

i think Dallas will have to find a way to absorb either Lamond Murray or Montross to make Toronto deal. Montross has 2yrs left at 2.9/3.2 . Murray has 3 yrs at 4.5/4.8/5.2 . For toronto to take on LaF salary, i'll bet they'll want AJ's salary(endind this yr) in return for one of these guys.

possibly Davis/Murray for LAF/AJ/Esch

or Davis/Montross/MoPete for LAF/AJ/Esch if dallas is lucky

and probably Davis/Montross/Hunter for Laf/AJ/Esch
which isn't too bad because Hunter comes off after next year, and Montross the following. Laf and Esch are locked up until at least 2006.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:54 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I find it hard to believe that I'm saying this, but I don't think I'd trade LaFrentz for Antonio Davis. Kurt Thomas? Probably so.

Old 07-23-2003, 04:03 PM   #10
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why no one wants Raef is because he may have all the unrealized potential in the world but he is still a p*ssy.

But I'd trade Raef for Thomas as quick as I could. At least Thomas can rebound, and defend.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:08 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

To me in order to trade lafrentz you have to add a good contract like avery's or even the great steve nash.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:06 PM   #12
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
To me in order to trade lafrentz you have to add a good contract like avery's or even the great steve nash.
Exactly. Who in the world would want an overpaid player with longterm contract? No wonder no one wanna trade.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:44 PM   #13
EVAN

EVAN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
The reason why no one wants Raef is because he may have all the unrealized potential in the world but he is still a p*ssy.
hehehehehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!! TRUE

EVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:51 PM   #14
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road

I say just sign Tyrone Hill, I have a feeling Raef will have a better year.
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:56 PM   #15
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Dallas trades

Reaf LaFrentz

Orlando Trades

Juwan Howard
Andrew Declerq or Gorden Giricek (i'd take Giricek)

He could play center in the east, and they need one badly.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:00 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Dallas trades

Reaf LaFrentz

Orlando Trades

Juwan Howard

Did they not just sign Juwan? I don't think its possible for you to trade a player you just signed in that same off season or year for that matter. Can anyone clear this up? BTW, that trade is horrible. Do the salaries even match? Gircek I believe is on his rookie contract and Howard took the exception?

1996-2005
Old 07-23-2003, 10:06 PM   #17
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

I would take Gooden.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:08 PM   #18
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Dallas trades

Reaf LaFrentz

Orlando Trades

Juwan Howard

Did they not just sign Juwan? I don't think its possible for you to trade a player you just signed in that same off season or year for that matter. Can anyone clear this up? BTW, that trade is horrible. Do the salaries even match? Gircek I believe is on his rookie contract and Howard took the exception?
I'm not going to bother stating that a team can't trade a newly signed free agent or draft pick until December 15th, because the whole notion that a team would sign a player and trade him the next week is so fucking stupid, that anyone that suggests it ought to be banned on principle.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:30 PM   #19
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

edit
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:36 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Dallas trades

Reaf LaFrentz

Orlando Trades

Juwan Howard

I'm not going to bother stating that a team can't trade a newly signed free agent or draft pick until December 15th, because the whole notion that a team would sign a player and trade him the next week is so fucking stupid, that anyone that suggests it ought to be banned on principle.

Lol I assumed that you couldn't trade a guy you just sign. Not only does it not make sense but how easy would it be to just sign a guy for a year and use him as trade bait so a team can lose some of that pay roll? To easy.

1996-2005