Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #1361
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Astronautalis - The Mighty Ocean and Nine Dark Theaters (I heard his sound compared to Isaac Brock if he was a rapper - and really, that's not that far off. Used to be a battle rapper, now writes songs mixed with all sorts of instrumentation. He's very white, and he went to SMU. Don't let that scare you away.)

Deerhoof - Apple O' (Yeah, definitely not for everyone - but I love it. Seeing them March 9th in Austin, should be fun!)

Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds (Um...so I guess I should come out and just say it. This shit is good. I enjoyed the singles from his debut, and what can I say - kid's got talent [and good taste in producers].)

Midlake - Milkmaid Grand Army EP (Sounds like old Midlake, just not as good as their album stuff - not really worth it unless you already REALLY like 'em.)

Yann Tiersen - Amelie (Soundtrack to the film - GREAT stuff. Lots of old-school French tunes and a little piano music as well. Consistent as hell, too.)

the pAper chAse - And the Machines are Winning... (Scary stuff. Don't listen to these guys in front of small children, or anybody else. I, however, like it and have liked it for a long time. No, I'm not goth or anything.)
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #1362
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Currently in my CD player is Woody Guthrie - The Asch Collections, Volume 2. These songs were recorded while Guthrie was on leave from the Merchant Marines in April 1944. Beautiful, beautiful music.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 AM   #1363
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

FINALLY got Illinois by Sufjan Stevens. loving it.

Also picked up the new Shins album (pretty solid), The Decemberists - The Crane Wife (also very good), and Ben Folds - Supersunnyspeedgraphic (love it, and worth it just to get his cover of Dre's "Bitches Ain't Shit")
Old 02-02-2007, 01:38 AM   #1364
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloodhound Gang - Ralph Wiggum
Old 02-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #1365
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Best stuff I've listened to recently:

Cocorosie - Noah's Ark
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, You Are The Destroyer
Manu Chao - Radio Bemba Sound System & Clandestino
Arcade Fire - EP

Also, I picked up tickets to Coachella, so I might be dead in late April after 3 days of music orgy.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #1366
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

The new Clap Your Hands Say Yeah album is good upon first listen. If it's anything like their last album, it will get better upon further listening.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #1367
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

soundgarden ~ down on the upside ~ blow up the outside world

great stuff !
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #1368
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #1369
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

What a coincidence that I was listening to BOTH of the last two mentioned albums yesterday. Cool. Now I'm back to Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies
Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #1370
Motofoto

Motofoto will become famous soon enough

Radiohead - Ok Computer
Sigur Ros- Takk
Motofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #1371
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Damien Rice - 9
Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #1372
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Black Lab - Passion Leaves a Trace
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:16 AM   #1373
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Black lab is still around? Man, I got their first cd years ago, and I played the crap out of it (especially that song, "Time Ago"). I'll have to check out their other stuff.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-09-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #1374
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

some of you self professed music fans...tell me what you think of John Mayer? I need some info.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #1375
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Black lab is still around? Man, I got their first cd years ago, and I played the crap out of it (especially that song, "Time Ago"). I'll have to check out their other stuff.
Have you seen The Shield promo yet on FX? Their new song is a part of the promo.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #1376
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
some of you self professed music fans...tell me what you think of John Mayer? I need some info.
tell me!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 02-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #1377
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
tell me!
NO!!
Old 02-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #1378
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontoad
NO!!
dang it!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #1379
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Are there music fans out there who aren't self professed? I'm trying to imagine what the official responsibe for professing such titles would look like. Would he have a clipboard? I'm kinda picturing anthony edwards' character from revenge of the nerds.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #1380
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Amos Lee
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #1381
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

as to John Mayer -

I like him. And i think his latest cd was really good, chill music.

Now, he's been overplayed for years (ESPECIALLY "Body is a wonderland") so a lot of people got burned out on him. but the fact remains that he is a really good guitar player, and a good singer. as i said, i'd recommend his latest CD for sure.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-09-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #1382
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Mayer is a fantastic guitar player and talent, I just don't like the majority of his music. He's also really funny. He had a pilot for Vh1 called the "John Mayer Show" that was hysterical. I bet you could find it on Google or Youtube.

Right now, I'm listening to Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #1383
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

mayer is a very good guitarist, but, especially live, he's really started to rip off stevie ray vaughn with his licks, sound, and vocals

im listening to The Essential Bob Dylan, i cant stop either

btw, i forget who posted it, but the new Shins album is good, but definitely the weakest of their 3 albums
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #1384
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Stevie Ray's been dead long enough.. It's ok to rip him off...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #1385
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i'd agree, bluevan, definitely the weakest shins album, but still solid.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #1386
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

echoing angels. very solid especially since i have low expectations for all christian bands. then again i could think they are solid because of said low expectations.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:06 AM   #1387
Nemesis
Diamond Member

I absolutely cannot listen to Jazz. With that being said, does anyone here not recognize the genius of Nora Jones?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:35 AM   #1388
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Daedelus - Exquisite Corpse

Last edited by dirno2000; 02-12-2007 at 02:38 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #1389
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

gnarles barkley- smiley faces.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #1390
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

acousticish live show. really good if you like the Foo
Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #1391
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

The Mars Volta (everything by them)
Pat Green - Southbound 35
The French Kicks - Following Waves
OK Go - You're so Damn Hot
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #1392
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible; Great follow-up to one of the best debuts of the last few years.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #1393
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I'll confirm the greatness of Sufjan Stevens. although I think "Illinoise" is better than "Michigan," both are more than astounding.

Apples in Stereo: New Magnetic Wonder
^ interesting music.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #1394
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Flaco, Skin & Bones is simply awesome.

Nemesis, have you heard the "Little Willies"? That's Nora Jones' country band. Actually a pretty entertaining cd.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #1395
sike
The Preacha

thanks for the opinions on Mayer....I'll check out that latest album...

as for ripping of SRV, at least he has good taste.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #1396
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Flaco, Skin & Bones is simply awesome.

Nemesis, have you heard the "Little Willies"? That's Nora Jones' country band. Actually a pretty entertaining cd.
Never heard of it but I will check it out on Sonicstage. I guess you and I are the only ones that recognize her great talent. She could sing "If you are happy and you know it" and I would buy the C.D.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #1397
sike
The Preacha

Derek Webb - The House Show

Old 02-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #1398
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
I absolutely cannot listen to Jazz. With that being said, does anyone here not recognize the genius of Nora Jones?
if you like Norah Jones, check out Madeleine Peyroux, she may be a little too jazzy for your tastes, but she has, in my opinion, a much better voice than Norah

does anyone else here like the Smashing Pumpkins? ive been listening to their whole catalogue recently because they've got a new album out this summer
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #1399
Nemesis
Diamond Member

thanks for the tips. i will check that out as well.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:34 PM   #1400
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

The Fugees - The Score
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Had to bring it back a few years. Zealots popped into my head out of nowhere at work the other day, so I had to rock the Score, and followed it up with one of the best albums of the late 90s.

Primal Scream is something I got from a friend a few years ago, and never really listened to, until it popped up on random in my iTunes, and I decided not to skip over it. Man, I was missing out, this album is amazing. It's a fun fusion of Indie Brit-pop and dance music, and has me bobbing my head and tapping my feet throughout the whole ride. Check it out.

Tags
<clutch tagging>, got a bit fluffy in here