Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-09-2001, 09:48 PM   #1
fish

fish will become famous soon enough

Well, we kinda feel like we started this trouble by asking the question, so we feel obligated to provide the best answers available now (even if it leaves us with a little egg on our already barely-presentable faces):

Remember our Shawn Bradley-might-get-maxed-out story? Remember our attempts at applying logic to the idea of the Mavs giving Bradley a max-out deal of as long as seven years for as much as $118 million?
Remember that?
Forget it.
Some of the people involved are privately shooting down the idea that it will take a max-out contract to retain free-agent-to-be Bradley ...

Fish (rest of story now posted at
DallasBasketball.com)
PS That damn Jordan is so fast I think he told you about this story as I was still writing it. ... hmmm.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:49 PM   #2
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Hell no he doesn't deserve it.
Old 04-09-2001, 11:05 PM   #3
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I am forced to agree.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:43 AM   #4
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I agree that it would be a waste to sign him for the max. But for 4 mill, that is definitely workable. How many backup centers are out there that have a true defensive presence? I'm not saying he's a Mutombo or anything, but at least he does initimidate and block shots. We'll just have to put up with the few highlight reels with people dunking over him. Oh well. 4 mill is a good deal.

Fish, any word on if CWebb is really considering Dallas or if we are going to try and get him? Originally, I was really hoping for him, but I'm not so sure he would fit with the people we currently have. And I'm extremely hesitant to break up this group of guys.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 05:29 PM   #5
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Do you really think that Bradley is only worth 4 million? If he were not so set at staying in Dallas, he could easily be picked up by a number of teams mid-level cap exemption (around 4.5). Surely he would fetch more in a sign and trade. By paying Bradley less than what he's worth in the open markets, aren't the Mavs sending the wrong message to free agents?

BTW - Jim McIlvane will earn 6 million from the Nets next year
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 05:52 PM   #6
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I don't see giving Bradley a pay cut in this stage of the game. Mavs want to pay him well and send the right message to FA's... I suspect he'll get something like a duplicate of his current salary.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:17 AM   #7
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

OK, 4 or 5 mill *for the first year*. The Exception is for a single year whereas a contract gets the yearly increases. This would give him a bigger payout. Couple of question off the top of my head...

What is his salary this year?
What is his contract for in years and total compensation?

This all comes down to him being a decent backup/bench role player. But when we come up against teams with ligit centers (LA) or even ligit but aging center (Houston, San Antonio), they always go off on us. Hell, Robinson having his season high last night?

The guy doesn't get calls from the refs because he whines too much. He doesn't want to dunk the ball for some reason, rather opting for little touch layups that DON'T go in as often as they do. When is the last time he had an *offensive* foul taking it to rim? He has GOT to get aggressive and at the stage of his career and age, if it hasn't happened by now (which it hasn't) then I just don't see it happening at all.

Like I said, 4 or 5 mill, sure. The Max? No way, not even close.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 10:25 AM   #8
Hales233
Golden Member

Has McIllvaine ever played more than 5 games in a season!?!? That guy is the poster child for sitting back, doing nothing, and collecting FAT paychecks.
Old 04-11-2001, 02:00 PM   #9
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

Mavs wont ever be big players in free agency any longer. Now that we took on the Howard contract, with Finley pending & Dirk next year..we can only pursue peeps through sign and trade. On the open market Shawn could get more, but he likes Dallas , his kids are in school there..etc... So I see him signing a long term deal that wont be anywhere near MAX...
Old 04-11-2001, 02:29 PM   #10
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Damn, management shouldn't pay the mantis crap!!! Bradley should pay the fans for making us have to watch his no-game havin, slow, out of position consistantly, aligator arms havin ass loaf all over the damn court. I've tried to like him and even have defended him recently, but last night was the last straw. He is bad, plain and simple. He is a nice guy, sure, but he is worthless IMO. I'm sick of the damn layups shawn, dunk the fuckin ball...you're 7'6!!! At least try to dunk you stiff, if you do, more than likely you will be fouled. NO more of this missed layup bullshit! I'm glad nellie kept pulling you after 3 minutes or so each half...you deserve what your no hustling ass gets. Hey Cuban, lose the dead weight...

Ok, that's been brewing in me for a while now. I'm done, have a nice day!!
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 02:43 PM   #11
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I'll write something after I stop laughing my ass off.. That's hilarious, "Dunk the ball"...
Old 04-11-2001, 03:04 PM   #12
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

I'm sick of the damn layups shawn, dunk the fuckin ball...you're 7'6!!! At least try to dunk you stiff, if you do, more than likely you will be fouled. NO more of this missed layup bullshit!

My sentiments exactly. Come on Bradley. Get a clue and get mad for God sakes. Since you are incredibley uncoodinated and can't finesse a layup....Dunk the ball!
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 04:22 PM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

LOL Crippler [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . That's how i've been feeling ever since he came here.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:20 PM   #14
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

You guys are pretty fairweather when it comes to Bradley... people were in love with him when he was dominating during that homestand...
Old 04-11-2001, 05:29 PM   #15
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Not me. I've hated him since the begging of his Mavericks career. Before that I didn't really pay much attention to him.
Old 04-11-2001, 05:31 PM   #16
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I don't hate him, but to say that I've been disappointed with his play these last few games would be a huge understatement. I can appreciate him for what he is, but sometimes he does things (or rather DOESN'T do things) that just makes me go crazy!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 05:35 PM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

No one is fair weather, I was saying before when people were defending him making the max, I thought that was ridiculous. I said he had the tools to be a Mutumbo, but he's NO WHERE NEAR THAT. EVERYONE thought he was one of the top Centers in the league and I damn near got cursed out for disagreeing with that. I said he's SOLID at best. The only reason he can fit into the Mavericks scheme is because they don't need him to score, but that still doesn't mean that he shouldn't improve ALOT!!!!!
Old 04-11-2001, 06:16 PM   #18
Mavinator
Golden Member

Bradley definitely needs to improve. He has definitely not been playing well lately. But he's been getting decreased minutes and his confidence is shot from losing his starter job to Calvin Booth... and look at what we consider a bad game from him: 1-8 shooting, 9 boards, 5 blocks, and against the best frontcourt in the league, and one of the best defensive teams in the league. Everywhere I'm reading about how this game was the deathknoll of Bradley's career, and I just don't understand it...
Old 04-11-2001, 10:48 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bradley's playoff heroics this year will show his worth. The death knell of illegal defense will herald the dawn of the Bradley Age in the NBA... Can a player averaging 11 pts, 13 rbs, and 7 blocks be the league MVP?
We will find out next year...
Old 04-11-2001, 10:51 PM   #20
Hales233
Golden Member

I think Evilmav is Shawn Bradley...one and the same. It all makes sense now, why Bradley is always using his laptop when he's on the bench during games.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:52 PM   #21
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know one of my friends sait that to me a few days ago [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] He's like.."I bet this EvilMav guy is really Shawn Bradley!"
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 10:56 PM   #22
Hales233
Golden Member

lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2001, 11:45 PM   #23
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Honestly, after tonight watching him get outrebounded three times by people that are almost a foot shorter than him, I am ready to bid The Stork adeiu. I completely lost all respect for that lanky bastard. I'm 6'3", and it looks like I could have dominated him in the paint. But, then again, I probably weigh more than him.
Old 04-12-2001, 12:14 AM   #24
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Y'all got it figured out... Maybe next year without illegal defense, I'll have to change my name to EvilMVP...
Old 04-12-2001, 08:33 AM   #25
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

He did dominate ATLANTA....Bottomline, alot of guys make up for talent with sheer determination & some fire in their belly. Shawn isnt very talented nor does he have any fire. If he would just play with some fire.... he would have a following like some of the other bench players do. LOL The Crippler called him "SLOW" its interesting that you said that.....Cause I argue anyone on here that can name a player they thought Shawn could beat running in a 40yd dash. I thought about it for 15 minutes........Shawn is the slowest player in the NBA. He also gets dunked on & lay-up on because guys beat him to the rim or they just figure he "may" not even bother to block it..

J
Old 04-12-2001, 09:23 AM   #26
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

You're right. Bradley is slow....extremely slow. My God. I can't watch him anymore. Bradley's lack of athleticism make me ill to watch. Bradley is a pure waste of space. He simply doesn't help the team imo. The other players won't pass him the ball for fear of it getting stripped or Bradley throwing up some ugly shot that doesn't have a chance. The Mavs have progressed to a higher level now. Bradley cannot hold his own. Jake Tsakalidis dunks on him. Tony Delk dunks on him. He can't stop anyone. Isn't that his job? We know he can't score on a consistant basis. So why is he here? Unload the dead weight. Get a playmaker.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:55 AM   #27
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

bradley played pretty well early in the season..he's not playing worth sh*t now. it's all evilmav's fault
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 02:13 PM   #28
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav's "Take it to the Bank Prediction of the Day": Bradley will make $7-9 million annually this Summer... That is slightly above his market rate, and that is what he will be paid...
Old 04-12-2001, 02:58 PM   #29
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

What would posses the Mavs to waste all that money?
Old 04-12-2001, 10:13 PM   #30
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

Did ya'll read the Mavericks Notebook out of the Dallas Morning News. Today's article:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Change of vote

Mark Cuban had a sudden change of heart at halftime of Wednesday's Mavericks-Suns game. Cuban said he will vote Thursday against a proposed rules change that would allow zone defense. That switch from his earlier pledge to support the changes was a result of what he said was unbalanced officiating Wednesday.

"If they can't call a fair game with the way the rules are now, how can we expect them to do it if they change the rules?" Cuban said. "And it's not just today. It's been over and over and over."
------------------------------------------------------------

The Bradley Age in the NBA may never begin.
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:23 PM   #31
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Maybe that means that Cuban has no intensions of keeping Bradley and doesn't want to have to play against Bradley in a zone defense. Hey, I'm trying to be optimistic.
Old 04-12-2001, 10:27 PM   #32
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

The rule changes have been approved, and the Bradley Age has begun (assuming the 3 second defensive rule does not hamper it)...