Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default Unhappy Webber meets with team president over reduced role

Unhappy Webber meets with team president over reduced role
By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer
November 16, 2006

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Chris Webber has talked with Philadelphia 76ers president Billy King about the star forward's unhappiness over a reduced role that's included two fourth-quarter benchings.

Webber's minutes and production have dramatically declined this season, and coach Maurice Cheeks has rested him for two entire fourth quarters in seven games, turning him into a $20 million role player.

King said Thursday night he's talked recently with Webber but did not say if a trade was requested. Webber is due another $22 million next year in the final season of his contract.

"The focus has been on the team all year, and Chris is an important member of the team," King said. "Maurice has been making decisions each game that he and the staff feel will give us the best opportunity to succeed, and I support him in the decision-making process."

Webber is averaging 10.3 points on 37 percent shooting in 30.6 minutes, well off his 14-year career averages of 21.5 points on 48 percent shooting in 37.9 minutes.

"I'm not going to keep playing like this," Webber told the Sacramento Bee after scoring six points Wednesday night in Seattle. "I don't like this role."

Cheeks has said he's been very clear with Webber about what he expects from the five-time All-Star.

Since Webber was traded from Sacramento to Philadelphia before the 2005 trade deadline, he's never really seemed to be happy playing with a franchise that has hovered around .500 since his arrival. He butted heads with former coach Jim O'Brien at the end of 2005, calling his half-season the worst situation of his basketball career.

"Timeout times 50, basically," he said, referring to his infamous gaffe at Michigan.

But he rebounded with a strong season under Cheeks last year, averaging 20.2 points and 9.9 rebounds in 75 games, the most games he'd played in the last six seasons.

He said in training camp he was feeling as strong physically as he had since undergoing microfracture surgery on his left knee in June 2003.

A snapshot of his frustrations came last week when Webber had six of his 11 rebounds in the third quarter in a win against Miami, then sat in the fourth. Webber deftly deflected numerous postgame questions about his benching, smiling through brief answers and saying only that he was happy the Sixers were winning.

"It's whatever," he said.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
King said Thursday night he's talked recently with Webber but did not say if a trade was requested.
What a laugh out loud moment. Is there a more untradeable contract in the NBA?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If he doesn't like his current role perhaps he should remove the tampon and try to earn the respect of his coach. What a tool.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Just to answer your question... I think K-Mart is the most untradeable right now. He's just in the 3rd yr of a 7yr/$91M deal and both his knees look to be shot! Poor Denver even traded 3 1st round picks for him!!

But I see your point, CWeb is clearly untradeable now... although next year this time he'll be an expiring contract!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Jerome James?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Well said, V2. Martin's is the biggest albatross. Nashty, James's isn't so bad, just because it isn't near as big.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I would still have Webber backing Dirk...it would be something lil different..Webber can still get good numbers including assistes....but the contract is a problem

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Dampier and Croshere for Webber works. It will also allow Cuban to get out of Damps horrid contract and seals up a back-up PF for us for the next two seasons.

I still don't think I'd do it, though.

*Edit

Our lineup would look like this:
Diop/ Benga/ Webber
Dirk/ Webber/ Pops
Howard/ George
Terry/ Buckner/ Ager
Harris/ Johnson

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 11-17-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I would guess Philly would move Dalembert to the 4 and let Damp start at center.

Damp/ Hunter/ Dalembert
Dalembert/ Croshere/ Henderson
Iggy/ Carney
Korver/ Green
Iverson/ Ollie

Looks like an improvement for them.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Dampier and Croshere for Webber works. It will also allow Cuban to get out of Damps horrid contract and seals up a back-up PF for us for the next two seasons.

I still don't think I'd do it, though.

*Edit

Our lineup would look like this:
Diop/ Benga/ Webber
Dirk/ Webber/ Pops
Howard/ George
Terry/ Buckner/ Ager
Harris/ Johnson
Doesnt sound bad, i might do it...but i like Damp...soo idk

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 11-17-2006 at 05:17 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Just to answer your question... I think K-Mart is the most untradeable right now. He's just in the 3rd yr of a 7yr/$91M deal and both his knees look to be shot! Poor Denver even traded 3 1st round picks for him!!

But I see your point, CWeb is clearly untradeable now... although next year this time he'll be an expiring contract!
Yup, a $22M expiring contract. Possibly a great trade for the Knicks, except Isiah would never do it because it makes too much sense.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

uh...we need Damp

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

plus Webber is Cancer.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M

New Jersey used two of those Denver picks plus trash when they traded for Vince, if I remember correctly. Now Denver is stuck with an injured K-mart, his huge contract, and in bad need of a shooting guard.Talk about irony.

Camby, Nene, Melo, Vince, Miller. Ouch.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:39 AM   #15
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Webber denies asking to be traded

November 18, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- Chris Webber denied a published report Friday that he had asked the Philadelphia 76ers to trade him.

"No, I haven't asked to be traded," he said before the 76ers played the Phoenix Suns. "I did say I was frustrated with the situation, but that's pretty much as far as it goes."

Webber has talked with 76ers president Billy King about the star forward's unhappiness over a reduced role that's included three fourth-quarter benchings in the first seven games this season. In the 76ers' previous game, Webber sat out the final 15:45 of a victory at Seattle.

Webber's minutes and production have dramatically declined this season, and coach Maurice Cheeks has turned him into a $20 million role player.

"He just wants to play," Cheeks said Friday. "I don't mind him being upset about wanting to play. But this is not about individuals. This is about trying to win games. This is not punishment. This is nothing personal about any one guy.

"But I can understand his frustration."

Webber admitted that his frustration was building, but emphasized he did not request a trade, as reported by the Sacramento Bee.

"I was frustrated, but that's about it," Webber said.

Webber was on the bench in the second and fourth quarters against the Suns and scored only eight points in 20:42.

"You know he feels like he could help us if he was out there on the basketball court," teammate Allen Iverson said, "but it's out of his control and it's something he'll have to fight through. I'll be there to support him and give him as much positive energy as I can.

"He just wants to be on the court. His whole thing is not that he needs the ball or he needs his shot and stuff like that. That's not what he's concerned about. That's not what he's worried about. He's worried about being in the game. He wants to play."

Webber said he had spoken with King, "and he knows that I'm frustrated."

"That's obvious from the time that I played before and the time that I'm playing now," he added. "It's nothing more than frustration."

King said Thursday night he's talked recently with Webber but did not say if a trade was requested. Webber is due another $22 million next year in the final season of his contract.

"The focus has been on the team all year, and Chris is an important member of the team," King said. "Maurice has been making decisions each game that he and the staff feel will give us the best opportunity to succeed, and I support him in the decision-making process."

Webber is averaging 10.3 points on 37 percent shooting in 30.6 minutes, well off his 14-year career averages of 21.5 points on 48 percent shooting in 37.9 minutes.

"I'm not going to keep playing like this," Webber told the Bee after scoring six points Wednesday night in Seattle. "I don't like this role."

Since Webber was traded from Sacramento to Philadelphia before the 2005 trade deadline, he's never really seemed to be happy playing with a franchise that has hovered around .500 since his arrival. He clashed with former coach Jim O'Brien at the end of 2005, calling his half-season the worst situation of his basketball career.

But he rebounded with a strong season under Cheeks last year, averaging 20.2 points and 9.9 rebounds in 75 games, the most games he'd played in the last six seasons.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:52 AM   #16
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

If it weren't for the Knicks, the Sixers would be the laughing stock of the NBA.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #17
V2M
Diamond Member

Cheeks reacts to players' remarks

By TOM MOORE
phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA — Neither Chris Webber nor Allen Iverson spoke to the media after Monday's Sixers practice.

But that didn't stop remarks Iverson made in support of Webber after Saturday night's 103-97 overtime loss to the Clippers from being the main topic of conversation.

Iverson told two Philadelphia writers that the Sixers “need [Webber] on the basketball court.”

“We're going to struggle if he's not in the game,” Iverson said. “No disrespect to Mo [Cheeks], but I think Chris definitely gives us a chance to win. He's our best post defender.”

With Cheeks relying on a smaller, more athletic lineup for better matchup purposes, Webber didn't play at all in the fourth quarter of Wednesday's win over the Sonics or Friday's loss to the Suns.

Webber sat out Saturday with a lower back strain that kept him from practicing Monday. He's listed as questionable for tonight's home game against the Pistons (as is Steven Hunter with a sprained right knee).

“[Iverson] just wants his teammate to get in,” Cheeks said Monday. “He is just a guy trying to do the right thing for his teammate. I sympathize with that and understand where he's coming from.”

Cheeks said he's simply putting who he believes are the five best players on the floor at that time.

“I coach as the game goes,” Cheeks said. “There will be games where a guy will play 40 minutes, and there are going to be games where a guy may play 20 minutes. That's how it is.

“Fifteen years ago, I could play 40 minutes, too. We're all never the same as we get older. We can never do the things we could do years ago. I don't think Chris is at that point. I think Chris feels like he can still play, and we certainly feel like he's a big part of our team and we feel that he can still play.”
click here

Webber, a 14th-year pro, averaged just 7.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 24 minutes in the first two games of the 1-2 trip, dropping his season numbers to 10.0 points, 8.1 rebounds and 29.3 minutes - easily career-lows. He averaged 20.2 points, 9.9 rebounds and 38.6 minutes 75 games last season.

Webber's more limited role and the fact that he didn't play in four of eight fourth quarters thus far prompted him to express his frustration to the media Wednesday and Friday.

“Definitely, it's tough [on Webber],” said Willie Green. “The only thing you can do is pat the guy on the back. I've got to commend him for his attitude.''