Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Something must be done!!

If you watched the mavs and pistons game you maybe feeling as mad as I am. Some people may say I'm overreacting over a regular season game but there is no reason why the mavs should lose by that much even if two players are missing.

It's unacceptable, we need a slasher that can play defense. Josh howard once fit that description but not anymore, I talked about Iguodala being in his contract year but everyone seemed to hate the Idea of us going after him. So now another player is in my sights-Kelenna Azubuike of the golden state warriors he is another person who is very strong, athletic, young and can give us slashing. And he is in his contract year and only making something like $687,000. Maybe we can trade someone for him because we need a slasher.
And this would be a good time to get Cassell or Corey Maggette. And i think Jason Terry has been F'd up by all the trade rumors during the summer. He has become USELESS on offense and defense. We need a trade or something to spark this team. Maybe if we could get a defensive assistant coach like the celtics d e could get better. Look at the celtics even if their big three struggles they can still win games because of their defense. Something must be done! Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I would love to have Maggette here. .. and who wouldnt want Iggy here, but he is a restricted FA and the 76ers have already voiced that they are going to keep him. It wouldnt be an addition by subtraction if they lost Iggy because that already happened to them when they gave away Iverson.
But Maggette. I believe he is obtainable if we gave up Terry and someone/thing else.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't think that what we saw today was any more complicated than crappy PG play. You CAN NOT win in the NBA with crappy point guard play.

No fast break points, 11 total assists.

I'm not nearly as concerned about another slasher as I am about how horrific out PG play was. We are a pretty good team when we have devin out there but I'm still quite concerned about our lack of getting anything from our centers.

Dirk played in the post a lot today until it was basically over and they started tossing 'em to see if he could get hot and get back into it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

But dude, didn't we have the same sort of PG play in 2006?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
But back then Terry was not USELESS, he was always hitting big shots for us, playing defense(even though he was never a great defender but back then you could actually see the effort), he also drove to the rim way more back then, and he could actually bring the ball up the court back then. Somethings wrong with terry and I really love that dude but I think his head may have been f'd up from all the trade rumors during the summer. If he's not going to be traded then somebody better motivate him because this kind of play will only get this team beaten down badly in the playoffs. And after that mark will blow up this team. And I know no mavs fan wants to see that happen.

Last edited by LSMF; 02-03-2008 at 07:34 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What I think is that he's the same player he's always been.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Then me and you are seeing two different jason terry's. In my eyes he looks like a SHELL of his former self but in your eyes he looks like the same player. Well, you are entitled to your own opinion even if they sound crazy as hell.

Last edited by LSMF; 02-03-2008 at 07:52 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I just don't think that what we saw today was any more complicated than crappy PG play. You CAN NOT win in the NBA with crappy point guard play.

No fast break points, 11 total assists.

I'm not nearly as concerned about another slasher as I am about how horrific out PG play was. We are a pretty good team when we have devin out there but I'm still quite concerned about our lack of getting anything from our centers.

Dirk played in the post a lot today until it was basically over and they started tossing 'em to see if he could get hot and get back into it.
All Terry and everyone knows it...Dude you remember clearly that I said last year Terry was the better pg putting up Tony Parker type numbers so I'm pretty unbiased as can be in saying this....Terry needs to go. It isn't what he does for us, it's a million things he doesn't for us that he can because I know he has the ability. Terry has the opportunity to prove us all wrong with Harris being injured yet all he is doing is proving why Harris starts. If you get a chance when the starting pg gets injured to show who's boss, do you really back down like this? We needed to trade Terry this summer and unfortunately it didn't pan out. It absolutely has to happen at the deadline.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

It sounds crazy as hell to say that Jason Terry is the same guy he's always been? I'm sorry, but you seem to have it backwards. You think he morphed into an entirely different player almost overnight?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Who thought that? I didn't say he morphed into anything. He has the ability to play defense, drive, and distribute he just chooses not to for whatever reason. The proof is there. Take the game today vs Detroit. He drove the ball and dunked it....little Jet dunked the ball. Yet he can never rebound, play defense, drive, or dish with any consistency. Oh yeah, he doesn't dunk with any consistency either, but he can do it. He just chooses not to most of the time.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I don't get all this Terry bashing that's going down on these boards. He seems about the same as always to me. And looking at the stats, he looks to be the same as always. What gives? He's never been a great passer, he's never taken it strong to the rack, and he's never played great defense. He's always been a really good shooter and okay passer that will occassionally take it to the rim. And he's always been pretty hot and cold. I don't know why he is the scapegoat all of the sudden.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Yeah, I don't get all this Terry bashing that's going down on these boards. He seems about the same as always to me. And looking at the stats, he looks to be the same as always. What gives? He's never been a great passer, he's never taken it strong to the rack, and he's never played great defense. He's always been a really good shooter and okay passer that will occassionally take it to the rim. And he's always been pretty hot and cold. I don't know why he is the scapegoat all of the sudden.
Are you kidding me? Did you honestly actually watch the last two games? A sloth has more energy lately. He makes the same stupid mistakes and errors every game, without a care in the world about trying harder. I'm not making this up, just watch him play.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Who thought that? I didn't say he morphed into anything. He has the ability to play defense, drive, and distribute he just chooses not to for whatever reason. The proof is there. Take the game today vs Detroit. He drove the ball and dunked it....little Jet dunked the ball. Yet he can never rebound, play defense, drive, or dish with any consistency. Oh yeah, he doesn't dunk with any consistency either, but he can do it. He just chooses not to most of the time.
Did you ever think he's not good enough to do those things with any consistency? You know in economics, there's a term called the law of diminishing returns. If you keeping adding on or doing something, eventually you get less. I think it applies well in basketball. You make it sound like Jet can dunk whenever he pleases. But really Jet can only dunk (or do most of those other things you mentioned) every once in a while because he's not good enough to do them. In other words, other teams are going to start selling out to stop him if he keeps trying to dunk. Really Jet can only dunk if it's really there.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Did you honestly actually watch the last two games? A sloth has more energy lately. He makes the same stupid mistakes and errors every game, without a care in the world about trying harder. I'm not making this up, just watch him play.
So you're saying in the previous three years Terry never had a bad 2 game stretch. This is pretty much routine Terry to me.

I think we all know what this is really about is trying to redirect all of this Devin trade talk to Terry. The whole prop your guy up by tearing the other guy down routine.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 02-03-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #15
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Oh and I threw this out in another thread, but why does Devin Harris not count as a slasher? I don't think Josh Howard is the only "slasher" on the team.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

Jason Terry is not a very valuable asset to an NBA team that is contending for a title. He is very easily shut down and eliminated from doing anything special. At the same time, he will do a lot of things wrong. He is an immature, selfish, and egotistical basketball player. Not to mention that he is absolutely one-dimensional on the court.

I'll believe that a team can win it all with Jason Terry playing a large role when I see it. And I'm about 99.99% sure that I will never see it.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #17
FINtastic
Diamond Member

I think you are over-hating on Terry. He may be one-dimensional, but that one dimension he has is a pretty darn good dimension. The problem with Terry is that this team as currently constructed can't use him correctly. You need to have him as your "instant offense" sixth man, and you need a better shooting guard starting ahead of him. If we got a pretty decent shooting guard in the starting lineup, I think we'd all start to love Terry.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 02-03-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I'll probably never take Chum very seriously on his opinion of Terry because I know he's forever bitter about the whole Nash replacement thing.

Still, I'll admit I cringe when I see him dribbling the ball across midcourt. I also wouldn't mind trading him if a good deal is available.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #19
FINtastic
Diamond Member

I think we can forget the idea of trading Terry - there is absolutely no point in bringing that up. His age and contract have made him untradeable unless you are looking for a salary dump where you get nothing in return.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 02-03-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I think you are over-hating on Terry. He may be one-dimensional, but that one dimension he has is a pretty darn good dimension. The problem with Terry is that this team as currently constructed can't use him correctly. You need to have him as your "instant offense" sixth man, and you need a better shooting guard starting ahead of him. If we got a pretty decent shooting guard in the starting lineup, I think we'd all start to love Terry.
I'll agree with this. If he were in a Bobby Jackson role, which is what he is best suited for, he would be of value. But the problem is that he is not and never has been.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
So you're saying in the previous three years Terry never had a bad 2 game stretch. This is pretty much routine Terry to me.

I think we all know what this is really about is trying to redirect all of this Devin trade talk to Terry. The whole prop your guy up by tearing the other guy down routine.
BS, I back-up Terry when he is playing well.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well we had the same guy but like the league has figured out the dirkster, they've figured out jason as well. I don't recall them crowding him like they do now.

Actually I do, I recall the Lakers doing it to us and us having all kinds of difficulty with it. Most teams last year would let dirk/jason do the switch...but they've figured out that pressing him at the 10second line throws us for a loop.

We've got to remember that our offense is actually quite good, very efficient WHEN we can get into it. 8th in the league and I read somewhere very efficient. But the last two games I don't recall us getting into our offense very easily.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I think you are probably correct, just that he's played differently. If he's not pressed in the last two games we wouldn't be talking about this for sure.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

We don't really need to "get into" our offense. Our offense is simply for one guy to take it and go. Do you really need 24 seconds for that? Not really. You need more like five.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
All Terry and everyone knows it...Dude you remember clearly that I said last year Terry was the better pg putting up Tony Parker type numbers so I'm pretty unbiased as can be in saying this....Terry needs to go. It isn't what he does for us, it's a million things he doesn't for us that he can because I know he has the ability. Terry has the opportunity to prove us all wrong with Harris being injured yet all he is doing is proving why Harris starts. If you get a chance when the starting pg gets injured to show who's boss, do you really back down like this? We needed to trade Terry this summer and unfortunately it didn't pan out. It absolutely has to happen at the deadline.
I think you are putting too much on his shoulders. He's the 6th man (many times 7th)...He has limitations, but unfortunately our 3rd pg is atrocious as well, way too much of a liability and is too erratic. 3rd points usually are. So with devin out he's forced to be the top dog and the league has figured him out.

If you look at the mavs lineup that spends the most time together, it's jet/devin together, it works fine. I have no problem with jason as a sg if he doesn't fall in love with the 3.

I'd personally rather have Gasol. A solid SG would be good also. Eddie looks to be breaking down to me and Hassell has reverted to turtle man. Devean also seems to be having issues.

Bass I still am not crazy about to be honest because he takes diops minutes.

So there's a lot going on that I can point to that might not get fixed with a jason move.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
We don't really need to "get into" our offense. Our offense is simply for one guy to take it and go. Do you really need 24 seconds for that? Not really. You need more like five.
You are smarter than that chum, I'm sure you are. Dirk always works off a switch or a pass in the post. We swing the ball quite a bit, lot's of picks to open guys up, etc.

You are somehow saying that our guys are such great one-on-one players that we have one of the most efficient offenses in the NBA because of that. Then we should always be efficient but we aren't.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

Our offense is not that efficient, I don't believe.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I completely disagree with your statement about effort or not caring. I don't see that, I see a guy having a tough time dealing with pressure.

Sure I'd like more defensive effort but it isn't like that's his forte'. And for all of the railing out there he doesn't get schooled nearly like JJB does.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #29
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Our offense is not that efficient, I don't believe.
I'm pretty sure I read it was quite high. I don't know what date this hollinger stat is but he has them second. yes it's this years.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...26league%3dnba

Last edited by dude1394; 02-03-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

Well, today they looked like last. You don't go from second to last unless you really aren't that efficient to begin with.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
He is an immature, selfish, and egotistical basketball player. .
That is a hata' talking. It's okay to be a hata' but I dont' get that nor do many others.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #32
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Well, today they looked like last. You don't go from second to last unless you really aren't that efficient to begin with.
Huh? Right...
Old 02-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #33
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Diop (if they want him), Ager, Bass, and (Terry if they want him) with KVH and (2) 1st rounders for JO.

Indy gets tons of cap relief. They also get a young defensive minded center.

Dallas gets a defensive shot blocker, with inside game that would free up Dirk, and Devin.

Dirk, JO, JHo, Devin.... with either Damp, Stack, (maybe Terry).... they would be championship material.

I just think that West evened up the Boston buddy buddy stuff, and reignited the Laker/Celtic battles. Good stuff for the league, but it also makes you realize that certain things happen for some not so above board reasons.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
That is a hata' talking. It's okay to be a hata' but I dont' get that nor do many others.
I hate having to be a hater because I recognize that Terry is absolutely worthless.

But if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. Terry is absolutely worthless.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #35
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 02-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote