Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default How about Terry for Larry Hughes

Hughes is a similar player to Terry (being forced to play the one a lot, when he's not really a PG), but he's bigger and a much better defender.

Cleveland and Dallas are similar in that they both (may) have a need to shake things up a bit and re-energize their teams. And they don't play in the same conference, which obviously helps when you want to do a trade.

The Cavs would have to take on some long-term payroll, which I doubt they want to do. But we get out of some committed salary, so maybe we could help them out by taking back another contract, like a Gooden.

What do you think? Are these two teams a match? Could Larry Hughes improve us at the two (with the added benefit of having experience at the one)?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Good one!!! that might work
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
adirktotheheart
Banned

adirktotheheart has a spectacular aura aboutadirktotheheart has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Hughes is a similar player to Terry (being forced to play the one a lot, when he's not really a PG), but he's bigger and a much better defender.

Cleveland and Dallas are similar in that they both (may) have a need to shake things up a bit and re-energize their teams. And they don't play in the same conference, which obviously helps when you want to do a trade.

The Cavs would have to take on some long-term payroll, which I doubt they want to do. But we get out of some committed salary, so maybe we could help them out by taking back another contract, like a Gooden.

What do you think? Are these two teams a match? Could Larry Hughes improve us at the two (with the added benefit of having experience at the one)?
Aren't they still trying to get Bibby? Wouldn't they prefer Bibby over Terry b/c Bibby's a FA after next year while Terry still has 4 years left on his contract?
adirktotheheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirktotheheart
Aren't they still trying to get Bibby? Wouldn't they prefer Bibby over Terry b/c Bibby's a FA after next year while Terry still has 4 years left on his contract?
Probably so, on both counts. But if trades start getting more than complex than one-for-one, you never know...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want Larry "One 40 point Game Per Season" Hughes.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

I think Cleveland would jump at it. Terry makes less than Hughes so they save lux tax money and by the time those extra years on Terry's deal come around the Cavs would be rid of the contracts for Eric Snow and Z so those extra Terry years wouldn't be all that big of a deal.

Not sure it helps Dallas though. Poor shooter and injury prone.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

jackpot.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

hughes plays about a million times better defense than terry, that alone might make it worth it
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #9
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by me770706
hughes plays about a million times better defense than terry, that alone might make it worth it
Well, maybe only 999,999 times better. Last June his primary defensive assignment won a Finals MVP trophy.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with Vinny, Cleveland would be all over this. They're always looking for shooters to space the floor for Lebron.

As for Hughes, I'm wary of a "slasher" whose fg% always seems to hover around 40%. If he could duplicate his last year in Washington then you'd have something but if he's capable of that then why isn't he doing it in Cleveland?

Last edited by dirno2000; 02-13-2008 at 12:06 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:10 AM   #11
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Larry Hughes must have been told he was great jump-shooter at some point in his life. There is no reason in the world why a guy so effective at slashing to the basket just refuses to do it! But he takes the easy jumper every time, and he misses it most of the time...

I like his defense though, and I admit that he is precisely the kind of player who would have gotten me fired if I was a GM. He just keeps fooling me.

As for this deal, I would rather do it if you could throw in Damp and Z. That gives Dallas a legit post scorer and bigger 2 guard. It gives Cleveland their shooter, and they may even believe that someone like Gooden can up his scoring a little.

I doubt the Cavs would go for it, but if they would, I probably would.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

My only concern would be that other than Dirk we would have no legitimate 3-point threat. Still I think Larry would be a nice upgrade defensively and if he would start driving to the basket again instead of settling then he may be able to help offensively as well.

Terry and Hassell for Hughes works salary wise.

What we would look like:

Damp / Diop
Dirk / Bass
Howard / Jones / George
Hughes / Stackhouse
Harris / Barea

Definitely bigger and better defensively. Imagine if Hughes somehow began playing defense like he did in Washington before going to Cleveland! Having a backcourt of him and Harris could be lethal. The back-up PG still worries me, though. I just dont like Barea and don't think he has what it takes to be the back-up PG for a team with championship aspirations.

What Cleveland looks like:

Big Z / Varejao
Gooden / Marshall
James / Newble
Pavlovic / Hassell
Terry / Gibson / Damon Jones

I think it definitely improves their spacing and gives Lebron an option to kick out to. They lose a little defensively but offense is where their needs are and Terry can probably run the point better than Hughes.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote