Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-21-2003, 04:58 PM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default Concern over expansion draft

Can someone please explain to me how this expansion draft works next year?

How many players can you protect? 8?

Whenever a player is taken off your roster can you then take back any of the other players on our roster or can the Bobcats just raid the bottom end of our roster...

I'm guessing we don't have to protect anybody with contracts ending after this year, like Best.

If Nash opts out of his contract can he be left off the list?

I would hate to lose a young kid like Daniels or maybe even Najera if he's not protected.

If we can protect 8 who would they be? I'm leaving off Nash because of his opt out and Best because of his one year deal.

1. Nowitzki
2. Finley
3. Antawn
4. Antoine
5. Bradley
6. Howard
7. Fortson
8. Najera

that leaves Daniels, TAW, Delk, and Stefansson.

I would not be to worried about losing ant of them accept Daniels, but if we have to put Nash on the list that would leave two pretty good players or prospects open to be snatched up by Charlotte.
I don't think the Bobcats would think twice about taking Marquise Daniels off our hands, that kid has a bright future.

Thoughts?

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Concern over expansion draft

Well I'd give up TAW in a heartbeat is his contract went with him. We'll just have to worry about the expansion draft when the time comes. We'll have lots of opportunities to decide who is most valuable and who isn't.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Walker can opt out of his contract as well.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:11 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The guys that become free agents are not eligible to be drafted. Teams will use that to their advantage. Ex. Dallas asks Nash to wait until after the draft, then resign him at a pre-arranged deal. It was talked about on NBA tonight not too long ago. Great question and it stirred up a good debate on the show.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Expansion Draft topic

Blonde Bomber, there's some decent discussion in this thread concerning the Expansion Draft. You might want to check it out.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:17 PM   #6
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Concern over expansion draft

The Bobcats can only take one player from each team. So they would not be able to "raid" the bottom of our roster. Maybe Cubes can throw a couple of second rounders to lure the Bobcats to take TAW.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:32 PM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

We don't have to protect Nash; he'll opt out.
We don't have to protect Daniels; he is a free agent after this year.

Stefansson's contract poses an interesting problem (assuming he plays well).
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:54 PM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
1. Nowitzki
2. Finley
3. Antawn
4. Antoine
5. Bradley
6. Howard
7. Fortson
8. Najera
Only 2 from the backcourt (plus 2 from Dooby's comment)? Maybe Najera and/or some other -Bradley, Fortson?- won't be protected.

Old 10-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Can someone please explain to me how this expansion draft works next year?

How many players can you protect? 8?

Whenever a player is taken off your roster can you then take back any of the other players on our roster or can the Bobcats just raid the bottom end of our roster...

I'm guessing we don't have to protect anybody with contracts ending after this year, like Best.

If Nash opts out of his contract can he be left off the list?

I would hate to lose a young kid like Daniels or maybe even Najera if he's not protected.

If we can protect 8 who would they be? I'm leaving off Nash because of his opt out and Best because of his one year deal.

1. Nowitzki
2. Finley
3. Antawn
4. Antoine
5. Bradley
6. Howard
7. Fortson
8. Najera

that leaves Daniels, TAW, Delk, and Stefansson.

I would not be to worried about losing ant of them accept Daniels, but if we have to put Nash on the list that would leave two pretty good players or prospects open to be snatched up by Charlotte.
I don't think the Bobcats would think twice about taking Marquise Daniels off our hands, that kid has a bright future.

Thoughts?
I´d rather protect Delk instead of Najera. There wasn´t much talk about Delk after the trade, but he´s a player. I think he´ll get a fairly high spot in the rotation. He´ll probably see more minutes then Best cause he can backup both guard positions.

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:38 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Fidel, you're right about Delk. He's probably the first guard off of the bench. If he's not, I would still expect him to get the most PT of any back-up guard on the team.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:25 PM   #11
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

i agree, a player since his Kentucky days, plus he is an above average defender.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:09 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Delk is also a pretty good rebounder for a guard. He had 3.5 in 28 minutes agame.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:17 PM   #13
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Leave Bradley unprotected, that's an easy decision. What new franchise that's trying to be all hip and sell jerseys is gonna take Shawn?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 03:27 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

1)Dirk
2)Dirk
3)Dirk
4)Finley
5)Jamison
6)Howard
7)Fort
8)Dirk/Bradley
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 03:35 PM   #15
LRB
Guru

Too bad there is not a way to force a team to take TAW in the expansion draft. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2003, 03:45 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Too bad there is not a way to force a team to take TAW in the expansion draft. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I know...all Cuban can do is leave him unprotected and then do his special Cuban voodoo
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 03:58 PM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Leave Bradley unprotected, that's an easy decision. What new franchise that's trying to be all hip and sell jerseys is gonna take Shawn?
Hmm.. I think if you made the whole Maverick linup eligible, Dirk would be picked first, Bradley second. Just look at it from the Bobcat's perspective. His contact is ridiculously small for a center of his ability. It's the equivialant of a K-Mart blue light special in terms of comarisoon to others at the position. Remember, the Bobcat's are trying to field a team of 12 guys here, not just one. They may pick one high priced veteran to reach the minumum salary requirements set down by the NBA, but that's it. Plus, I will bet my balls that no team is going to leave a stud center like Eddie Curry or someone unprotected, so if Bradley were available at his cheap price, the Bobcats would pick him up in a nanosecond. He is as good a shotblocker as has you can find in this league, and won't take away shots from the budding young superstar the Bobcat's are sure to build their team around.

Do you think they'd rather be paying Jamison, Walker, max money over the next six years to take shots away from their #1 overall draft pick? Hell no! Remember, two rebuilding teams just GAVE these guys to us for nothing because their contracts were so inflated that they hindered their ability to improve. In other words, Boston/GS would rather start from SCRATCH than have Walker/Jamison on the team. What do you think a team that actually IS starting from scratch would want to do?

In my opinion, the following is a likely ranking of the desirability of Maverick players in an expansion draft:

1) Dirk
2) Bradley
3) Howard
4) Najera
5) Delk
6) Steffanson
7) Jamison
8) Fortson
9) Finley
10) Abdul-Wahed

Not eligible ( Nash, Walker, Daniels, Best)

But in reality, it doesn't matter one damn lick because Abdul-Wahed and Steffanson are going to be the two left unprotected... Why? Becase the Mavs could really not give two shits if either of these bums left.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:08 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I see these guys as definites:

1) Dirk
2) Mike
3) Antawn
4) Howard
5) Delk

Others, and why I didn't list them:

Antoine - let's assume he works out really well and we want to keep him around rather than let his contract expire or trade him. There is some possibility, if there are others we wanted to protect, that we could negotiate a new contract, have him opt out of the final year of his current one, and then wait until after the expansion draft to formally resign him. We then wouldn't have to worry about protecting him as a FA.

TAW - unless he all of a sudden develops a jumper and his knee appears perfect, he's not getting protected.

Jon - no way to know at this point whether he's worth protecting.

Fort - a likely candidate for being left off the list because of his contract, but if he actually succeeds in slowing down Shaq and not fouling out of every game he appears in...

Shawn - salary's really not that high for a big, and as long as he looks like his knee will hold up for a few more years he's probably worth hanging on to.

Najera - I love the guy, but does he really have a place on the team? Seems he's little more than 6 fouls for us at this point.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:13 PM   #19
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

IMO, By the end of the season, there will be many more of these lists posted here. But there will be far fewer Mavs fans listing Delk on the players we will make available. This guy is all Balls. He can stick a big shot, or do a damn good job on defense.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:26 PM   #20
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I see these guys as definites:

1) Dirk
2) Mike
3) Antawn
4) Howard
5) Delk

Others, and why I didn't list them:

Antoine - let's assume he works out really well and we want to keep him around rather than let his contract expire or trade him. There is some possibility, if there are others we wanted to protect, that we could negotiate a new contract, have him opt out of the final year of his current one, and then wait until after the expansion draft to formally resign him. We then wouldn't have to worry about protecting him as a FA.
I thought about suggesting this. I don't know if it passes muster with the powers that be. Seems like it shouldn't be allowed if a deal really was worked out ahead of time.

Quote:
TAW - unless he all of a sudden develops a jumper and his knee appears perfect, he's not getting protected.

Jon - no way to know at this point whether he's worth protecting.
Fort - a likely candidate for being left off the list because of his contract, but if he actually succeeds in slowing down Shaq and not fouling out of every game he appears in...[/quote]

Yup. Agree on all three.

Quote:
Shawn - salary's really not that high for a big, and as long as he looks like his knee will hold up for a few more years he's probably worth hanging on to.
I really wonder if a new team has the cajones to take Bradley. Maybe it makes basketball sense, but it is a lagher from a fans' point of view. Bradley is so well known, he'll be the most recognizable name taken, and I wouldn't want my franchise defined by Shawn Bradley.

Quote:
Najera - I love the guy, but does he really have a place on the team? Seems he's little more than 6 fouls for us at this point.
I agree somewhat; his playing time is really limited now. But I add that I think if Najera is going to be left unprotected, we can trade him for a second rounder to another team before the expansion draft happens.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote