Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-20-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Warning: This is a less than positive but not directly negative post concerning one of the Dallas Mavericks. If I hurt your feelings regarding your favorite player I sincerely apoligize in advance.

Q: Is anyone else concerned about Finley's handles and how it will effect the Mavericks as a whole in the post season? I mean most Mav fans recnognize than Finley's ball handling is no great shakes but it has never really been a huge liability to the Mavericks game. However, some of these last few games have raised some concerns with me. Down the stretch in last night's game, Theb Lakers made a big point of having Fox and bryant really Hound Mike and Mike was struggling with the ball, right before he hit that prayer shot he was really struggling with them. From then on, everytime he got the ball they made it a point to really bother him and it prevented him from barely being able to put the ball on the floor and I'm not just referring to the full court press late in the game. While I was thinking about that, I also recalled an incident in the portland game, does anyone remember this? Portland was at the line, while they were there, Scottie Pippen called a huddle with the team. The minute the Mavs got the possession back and passed the ball into Finley to dribble up court the Blazers opened up into a surprise full court press on him and Mike looked like a deer trapped in headlights. I think Scottie Pippen as well as The Laker coaches or certain players have recnognized this weakness in Finley's game. I'm most likely over worrying here but with Dirk's recent struggling against the Lakers, this could prove detrimental methinks.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2002, 02:21 PM   #2
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

Fin didn't have a turn-over through the first half, and only had the ball poked away from behind by Horry once in the second. Totall TO last night: 1. I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Get a happier face, Epitome. I'm starting to think of you as the epitomization of all the bad vibes and negative energy surrounding our team, which are admittedly dissipating these past couple of years.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 02:24 PM   #3
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

No he didn't turn over the ball much but if you look at the stats, He doesen't turn over the ball much in general. In fact from a purely statistical standpoint, it seems like Finley has super handles when that isn't the case.

Yah, I'm gonna lay off the pessimism now and just think happy thoughts.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:11 PM   #4
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well Epitome, that's been everyone's concern for the past few years now. However like you even pointed out, he's not someone who turns the ball over a ton so that's been my main point when I say his handles are good enough. Granted he'll never handle the ball as deftly as Nash or Van Excel but it's sufficient enough that he can handle it against some pressure and push it up the court and get him to the basket.

As far as Scottie Pippen goes, if Scottie came running at Isiah Thomas with those long arms of his, he would even get somewhat scared. You're talking about one of the NBA steal leaders in the HISTORY of the game, he can take the ball from anyone, if I were Fin I would be nervous about him taking it from me too.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:10 PM   #5
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

You're right in that Finley's ball handling is "good enough"--he's learned to compensate for his lack of handles and doesn't turn the ball over much because of it. But what bothers me is that his ball-handling needlessly limits his game.

It's obvious that Fin has the speed and athletic ability to blow by defenders and take the ball to the hole, yet he doesn't do it on a consistent basis, and I believe it's because his handles limit him. If he would just spend an entire off-season or so working on his ball-handling, I think he could take his game to another level.

He already possesses an almost unstoppable fadeaway. Better ball handling would give him more ability to penetrate--the possibilities are endless.
NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:25 PM   #6
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

this has been talked about constantly since the beginning of this forum. Of course, everyone is concerned. Thankfully, the mavs have two great PGs that can handle the ball and finley doesn't have to bring it up against pressure much.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:30 PM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

NYMav Fan - Finley has tried to work on his handles in the offseason; they are about as good as they're going to get. I certainly can understand where you're coming from and agree that if he was a better dribbler, he might be completely unstoppable. As it is, though, he's a known commodity, and a damn good player. Sure, he'll never be the guy that takes over a game off the dribble, but he can still get his own shot when he needs to, and can beat his man in a variety of ways. Given the many weapons available tot he Mavs, I don't think Finley's "lack of handles" will keep us from going pretty far in the playoffs.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:33 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm concerned about my handles...although I think we are talking about something entirely different here..

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 11:24 PM   #9
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

LOL Doc, me too!

Finley's handles shouldn't be too large of a problem IMO. As long as we don't ask him to innitiate the offense. He can create his shot as it is. Would better handles help? Of course. Then again, some players in the NBA have incredible handles, but can't hit a jumpshot to save their lives. I'll take Fin's J and fadeaway over better handles.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:16 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Im not too worried about Finley's handles either. For the season, he's averaging only 1.6 turnovers per game and since the trade, he's only turning it over 1.3 times a game.

Now, I know turnovers is not the only way to rate a players ball handling skills, but Finley's turnovers come from being stripped when taking it to the basket mostly or he dribbles it off his leg/foot while driving to the basket.

As for the Portland game, they really pressured him when he brought the ball up and it messed with him obviously. The only reason they collapsed on him is cause they had already done that to Nash and Nelson was trying something new. If I remember correctly, they did the same thing with Buckner.

But with Raef/Dirk/Wang opening up the middle I don't see Fin having a problem driving to the basket and being stripped since it's not congested like it was before.

Like others mentioned above, I think his ball handling skills are good enough as to where he won't hurt the team come playoff time unless Nash and NVE are out for one reason or another and Fin has to bring the ball up court an obscene amount of times.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:29 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

why the hell is everyone calling it "handles"
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:32 AM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< why the hell is everyone calling it &quot;handles&quot; >>

LOL. I guess it's slang. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2002, 02:16 AM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Why do people type LOL, instead of laugh out loud? Duh, handles is a hell of a lot more convenient than ball handling ability.

If you sincerely didn't know what handles meant, my mistake.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:25 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i know what people mean..

saying &quot;handles&quot; sounds stupid though
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 02:27 AM   #15
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2002, 04:48 AM   #16
Epitome22
Golden Member

&quot;Son, my fade is too nice, my handles..precise&quot;
Old 03-21-2002, 05:22 AM   #17
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

What's wrong with 'handles?'

It's like saying 'boards' instead of rebounds.

Anyyway, Finley might not have the handles (err... ability to handle the ball) of Jason Williams, but I would rather have Fin with the ball in his hands the Williams....
Old 03-21-2002, 09:39 AM   #18
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Handles... (In my homer simpson voice)