Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default What would you rather see?

I was sitting around today, during company meetings and thinking to myself...about Dallas Sports.

At first I thought about football...I have grown up a Die-Hard Cowboys fan and often felt that football was my favorite all time sport...so then I asked myself this question...would I rather see a Cowboys Superbowl Champion or a Stars Stanley Cup Champion?

Wow, I have been converted and I realized that I would rather see the Stars winning the Stanley Cup than the Cowboys winning the Superbowl.

So I move on...what about Baseball...then i started to gag...then laugh...The Rangers with a winning team...yep, I would rather see the Stars win the Stanley Cup...

So I move on to our beloved Mavs...I must admit as I type this, I am surprised by my thoughts as I find myself wanting to see the Mavs win the Championship...at an equal desire as I do the Stars.

Saddly, The Mavs have shown nothing that gives this fan any hope that they can win a Championship as they are currently built. With that in mind, if they are NOT winning, they are NOT fun to watch!!! So I move onto the Stars who have played one heck of a round 1 series and have created some Belief in us local fans...I can only hope that the will and desire of the Stars mixed with their toughness can rub off onto the Mavs and that we see Dallas turning this around.

If not, I'm afraid that we are watching a repeat of the Mavs and Jazz when the Mavs first returned to the playoffs...do the rest of you remember when Dirk and company upset the Jazz with Malone? The year Dirk got his tooth knocked out only to run back out onto the court. We are watching a young New Orleans team completely dismantle the experienced Mavs team and it may be time to see our team ride off into the sunset and go into rebuilding mode...keeping Bass as the only tough guy on the team...

Trade Dirk away to a team who could use him to get over the hump and win a title...dare I say, possibly trading him to Phoenix where he could join Nash for one final run at the title...Amare, Nash, Shaq, Dirk on the same team...That would be a scary group of players!!!

For the Record...I HATE THE SUNS!!! but if it would help Dirk to win a title, then I would be for it.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Purple&Gold

Purple&Gold has a spectacular aura aboutPurple&Gold has a spectacular aura aboutPurple&Gold has a spectacular aura about

LOL?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Are you on that wet? That dust? You're not even a Mavs fan. You're a Dirk fan. Trade him away to the Suns....For who? No one? Just let them get a title. Let's combine forces so we can get the Spurs. I know the Mavs are playing bad right now but goodness let's don't lose our minds.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Mood swings

Haven't we learned before?

I'm sure everyone was pessimistic after the Spurs game where Dirk went down, I was myself as well.

This pessimism turned into optimism after Dirk returned against Golden State, and we blew them out.

We lost a competitive game against the Lakers, but then defied the odds by beating the Suns with a lockdown 4th quarter defensive display. I say defied the odds because we are a bad road team and generally lose when down by 10+ points.

Then we went on to beat the Jazz and Hornets as well to close the regular season. I wasn't too concerned about Portland and Seattle.

We were optimistic going into the playoffs, now we're pessimistic, but must be mindful of the fact how quickly pessimism can become optimism. Moods and opinions can change with a WEEK.

The Spurs were called, and quite frankly, LOOKED like an "old" team in the regular season... now they have a 2-0 lead in the playoffs. the Shaq trade initially looked like a disaster, then it looked like they righted the ship, and now they're in an 0-2 hole.

Yes, this roster has flaws... but every roster has flaws... even our opponent the Hornets has one of the worst shooting guards in the league + an extremely thin, unproductive bench.

The Lakers have interior defensive issues without Bynum, and have trouble against quick point guards.

I could go on and on for most teams in the west... although I think Detroit and Boston are very complete teams rosterwise.

What I'm trying to say is right now is not the time for posts like this... we can easily win the next 2 games and suddenly the series is tied. I know we've been outscored by 48 in the last 6 quarters, but I don't think the Hornets are that much better than us. We have little margin for error at this point, but I still believe.

Let's reserve this kind of doom and gloom for when (if) the Mavs get eliminated from the post season. Things look bad now, but they can change as quickly as this Sunday if the Mavs are to tie the series. Then you know what? the pressure is on the HORNETS, not us.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I still remember the way the casual Dallas area sports 'fan' didn't give half a rat's poop about the Mavs in the 90's and I also remember just how excitedly they bunched their collectively wet underoos in warm wet heaps whilst singing hymns of praise in honor of the success of the then recently transplanted Canadian hockey team, the Stars, back when said Canadian transplants were winning hockey cups, and I still think that whole business stinks of fetid, old poontang and douche.

If you want to be a hockey fan (or Futball or Badminton or anything else), good for you, and good riddance. Thankfully, many fans on this board were supporting the Mavs back in the 90's when they were tallying win records in the low teens, and many more fans will continue to support the Mavs even if they sink into the despair of those depths again, and as painful as that support might be, that's what being a real fan is damned well all about- not just changing your wardrobe to include more green and gold hockey-wear whenever the Mavs' championship hopes wane unhappily downwards...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-23-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
I still remember the way the casual Dallas area sports 'fan' didn't give half a rat's poop about the Mavs in the 90's and I also remember just how excitedly they bunched their collectively wet underoos in warm wet heaps whilst singing hymns of praise in honor of the success of the then recently transplanted Canadian hockey team, the Stars, back when said Canadian transplants were winning hockey cups, and I still think that whole business stinks of fetid, old poontang and douche.

If you want to be a hockey fan (or Futball or Badminton or anything else), good for you, and good riddance. Thankfully, many fans on this board were supporting the Mavs back in the 90's when they were tallying win records in the low teens, and many more fans will continue to support the Mavs even if they sink into the despair of those depths again, and as painful as that support might be, that's what being a real fan is damned well all about- not just changing your wardrobe to include more green and gold hockey-wear whenever the Mavs' championship hopes wane unhappily downwards...
Amen, finally someone with some sense and a real fan. Rep for you my friend.

Edit: Just got the dreaded message: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Evilmav2 again.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 04-23-2008 at 01:41 AM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 AM   #7
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

We are the Utah Jazz of the late 90s.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Before you go challenging my Mavs fandom...let it be known, the my first NBA game was in Dallas with the visiting Pistons...

The Mavs got thier butts handed to them, this is back in the mid to early 80's when the Pistons had a semi Afro headed white kid. I was a little tyke and my brother managed to get some Floor seats at old Reunion.

I was sold-out on the Mavs and have gone through the thick and thin of the Mavs.

My loyalty is with Dallas...all of Dallas!!! Mavs, Stars, Cowboys, FC Dallas, Rangers...the old Sidekicks...now that is being a fan!!!

I have watched well over 90% of the Mavs games for the past 10 years...namely via the beauty of T.V. at home or in some sports bar somewhere in the country. Prior to that I was spending time in different locations of the world thanks to Uncle Sam...looking daily for any news that I could get on my Dallas teams!!!

I remember being in Germany when the 3 J's showed up...I recall them having a hell of a start to one particular regular season and then catching hell from fans of other teams.

Being a fan of both the good and bad times, allows us to objectively ask questions as I did. It allows us to explore our other teams, albeit in the midst of Maverick misfortune.

In the past, I have NEVER thought for a second about one of our Mavs going to another team to win a title...often hating those players as they left. I was not happy to see Aguire win with the Pistons or Finley win with the Spurs...but in Dirk's case...I don't know for some reason, I don't believe he will get an opportunity to win a title in Dallas. I don't like the idea of Kobe having 3 titles or Garnett being hyped as he is when he hasn't done squat compared to Dirk...the thought of Gasol possibly being in a better position to win a title than Dirk irritates the hell out of me.

When I see our current Mavs and think about what is needed to turn this team around and put a true Championship team together...it will take too much and actually more time than Dirk has at the moment. I would rather see Dirk go to a team that he can win a title and that he can get the respect he deserves as a Champion than to be stuck in what is rapidly turning into a rebuilding project in Dallas.

At the end of the day, this team has turned into the ultimate of skill teams with a completely soft heart. It's painful and annoying to watch!!! I especially hate seeing our beloved Mavs become so ordinary.

The best way i find to cope with the misery is to remain a fan...a true fan of all my teams and to ride the highs and the lows. While the ride for the Mavs is on a downward spiral, the same ride with the Stars has reached an unexpected HIGH!!!

The action this season by the Stars has been up and down...with the recent play being on a grit filled tough physical team oriented feature...one that could provide some hope for us Mavs fans...Yes it is possible for a team, an organization to turn it around.

I'm enjoying the Stars and prefer to watch the Stars at the moment due to the Winning factor. I can only hope that some good decisions can be made in the offseason for Dallas and in the coming 12-24 months to right the ship and hopefully the cast of players will be ones that we can all have mad fan love for...if they are winning, we will be extactic...if not...let's just not go there.

Enjoy the Mavs while you can...tune into the Stars who are equally if not even more fun to currently watch...as for the Rangers...I called for a collapse alert months ago...training camp hadn't even started...now that is a sorry team, but darnit...I'm still a DIE-Hard Rangers fan!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus Christ, another trade Dirk thread? It ain't gonna happen.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Here is how i feel about this thread

Last edited by MavsX; 04-23-2008 at 07:53 AM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
Here is how i feel about this thread

Is that Danny Devito?
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip41
Is that Danny Devito?

hell yes it is. 'it's always sunny in Philadelphia' is the show. check it out, it's freaking funny sh*t
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'm as big of a Dirk fan as anyone, but wanting him to go to Phoenix to get a ring is asinine.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
92bDad
Platinum Member

I tell you what I want more than Dirk to be traded...how about Dirk and the Mavs to turn it around and go on a run to win the Championship!!!

Then again...I am also someone who would rather watch the Stars puck off in round 2 against the Sharks!!!

Again, I love me some Mavs basketball...but down 0-2...my money is going to the Stars!!! I'm looking forward to Round 2 and looking forward to picking up some tickets for game 4...I'll be out of town for game 3, gotta fly up to Jersey for a day.

I might pick up tickets for game 6...will have to see how the series unfolds. Hey, maybe some of the Mavs will have some time off and want to join us for a Stars watching party!!!

Tags
fluffy banter