Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
enervate

enervate will become famous soon enough
Cool Conference Finals or Bust for Dallas

Conference Finals or Bust for Dallas
Written by Travis Pulver
Monday, 19 April 2010 16:21

Quote:
For the last ten years they have been among the best in the National Basketball Association. In that time span they have not finished lower than 4th in the conference nor have they won fewer than 50 games in any season (average of 56 a season over the decade). With free agency and the promise of a bigger payday right around the corner, maintaining a team of high quality for such a long period of time is no easy feat.

However, in that time frame the Dallas Mavericks have had trouble doing what really counts- winning the big one. Four times the Mavericks have lost in the Conference semifinals and three times in the first round including the 2007 season where they won a team high 67 games. With all the personnel moves that Cuban has made over the years they have only managed to make it to the Conference finals twice. They were only able to win one, but lost the NBA Finals to the Miami Heat that year after opening up a 2 game lead.
READ MORE AT MVPTEXAS.COM
enervate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

But we have finished lower than 4th in the conference...
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

fail

Championship or bust, just like every year.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
DULLAH

DULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
fail

yup.
DULLAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, we've won one game in the playoffs this year.
I didn't realize that's all it took to advance two rounds.

I'll start getting psyched if/when we get past the Spurs. Until then we have accomplished less than last year.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

I agree. There is no reason this team should not get to the conference finals this year. But then again, you could have said that about 2007 and we all know how that went.
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

i hate this thread.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

also, that article is wrong. it says we haven't finished lower than 4th and it says we'd face denver in round 2? what?

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
fail

This.^

The title of this thread was an automatic fail.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Mike Fisher is now going to write yet another article on why he doesn't like the phrase "____ or bust".

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-20-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all

Breast or bust.

Just win tomorrow, ok?
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Everytime I see "X or Bust," I am reminded of being a small child, watching the intro to Perfect Strangers.. Balki hops on the back of a truck carrying a sign that says, "AMERICA OR BURST" in semi-Greek-looking handwriting.

That's all.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
JCmasta

JCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the rough

More like championship or bust. This is a veteran team with two HOF players on their roster, the championship window has opened up for another 2 years(counting this one) but that's about it.
JCmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Mark Cuban= Window is ALWAYS OPEN. End Transmission.....

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
ItGetzReal

ItGetzReal will become famous soon enoughItGetzReal will become famous soon enough

We have a great team this year! With that said , i think we are still a piece short to win it all . I think we will make it to the conference Finals though. I think we can beat LA or Denver this year. Its just If we get to the finals , I dont see how we can match up with a stacked Cleveland team or a Deadly 3 point shooting Orlando team .
ItGetzReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItGetzReal View Post
We have a great team this year! With that said , i think we are still a piece short to win it all . I think we will make it to the conference Finals though. I think we can beat LA or Denver this year. Its just If we get to the finals , I dont see how we can match up with a stacked Cleveland team or a Deadly 3 point shooting Orlando team .
Cleveland's not stacked. I'd take Butler, Marion and Kidd before picking up Cleveland's top 3, Mo, Jamison, Shaq? Their 4th quarter offense is basically James and get out of the way. I'm more scared of Orlando than Cleveland because of Howard. They're not as good this year without Hedo. With Cleveland it comes down to if James wants to defend Dirk. Cle's got options, Hickson, Powe, Varejao to throw on Dirk early, but can james stop Dirk late. There's the same answer on our side, we can toss Butler, Marion and DeShawn at James, is that enough to slow him down. This will be a series of your top 7. Cleveland may have an advantage 9-12, but it's your top 7 that will play it out.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #17
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I hope we can win Game 2.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
ItGetzReal

ItGetzReal will become famous soon enoughItGetzReal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Cleveland's not stacked. I'd take Butler, Marion and Kidd before picking up Cleveland's top 3, Mo, Jamison, Shaq? Their 4th quarter offense is basically James and get out of the way. I'm more scared of Orlando than Cleveland because of Howard. They're not as good this year without Hedo. With Cleveland it comes down to if James wants to defend Dirk. Cle's got options, Hickson, Powe, Varejao to throw on Dirk early, but can james stop Dirk late. There's the same answer on our side, we can toss Butler, Marion and DeShawn at James, is that enough to slow him down. This will be a series of your top 7. Cleveland may have an advantage 9-12, but it's your top 7 that will play it out.
Yea nice break down. I Haven't seen to many players stop dirk from scoring in the 4th . Orlando is still a nice team , but I agree they are a different team without Hedo. They replaced him with an older 2 guard that launches bad shots like JR smith.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #19
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yea nice break down. I Haven't seen to many players stop dirk from scoring in the 4th . Orlando is still a nice team , but I agree they are a different team without Hedo. They replaced him with an older 2 guard that launches bad shots like JR smith.
As long as Howard's manning the middle, Orlando will be decent. Yep, VC was a step back and he has proven it thus far. He has one last shot this year against the Cavs to prove otherwise.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #20
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

ummm, like a few have said..let's win game 2.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #21
ItGetzReal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
ummm, like a few have said..let's win game 2.
Don't worry we will. I don't see the Mavs being beat by a hobbled spurs team. If Tony was 100% I'd be more scared of this series. They don't have the scoring threat at point guard position this year.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't worry we will. I don't see the Mavs being beat by a hobbled spurs team. If Tony was 100% I'd be more scared of this series. They don't have the scoring threat at point guard position this year.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #23
ItGetzReal

Quote:
Well I didn't expect the mavs to come out with no energy. They made a good run in the fourth, but it was too late . I still believe they will take the series though. Defense for 48 mins and rebound . Shots will come and fall
Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #24
JCmasta

JCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the roughJCmasta is a jewel in the rough

If we LOSE in the 1st round then i won't watch this team again until they blow it all up and start over(which means shop Dirk around also), must sound harsh to a lot of people but here's how i see it:

Blow a series lead in the finals
Lose to a 8 seed in the 1st after a 67 win reg season
Get smacked in the 1st by NO
Get smacked in the 2nd by Denver
Get bounced in the 1st after supposedly re opening the championship window.

I think this team should be in the finals and win it this year but if we don't at least get to the WCF then we blow it up and go for guys like JJ, Bosh, Wade, etc. We've retooled and rebuilt around Dirk way too many times already.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #25
ItGetzReal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCmasta View Post
If we LOSE in the 1st round then i won't watch this team again until they blow it all up and start over(which means shop Dirk around also), must sound harsh to a lot of people but here's how i see it:

I think this team should be in the finals and win it this year but if we don't at least get to the WCF then we blow it up and go for guys like JJ, Bosh, Wade, etc. We've retooled and rebuilt around Dirk way too many times already.
Well I love our team , so I will still watch them if they had a bad roster like new york . I do agree if they don't make it to the WCF this year then we need a blow up. I would'nt shop dirk though. I would try to lure wade or lebron , bosh, amare to pair with him. Dream lineup thats seems possible is Kidd , wade , Matrix , Dirk , Haywood with Jet , roddy , and damp come back after resign. If we could get amare with our current setup I think we could do damage . Kidd, CB, Matrix , Dirk , Amare . Jet and haywood off the bench or even Kidd, CB, Amare , Dirk, Haywood with Jet and Matrix off the bench.

Last edited by ItGetzReal; 04-23-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #26
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well I didn't expect the mavs to come out with no energy. They made a good run in the fourth, but it was too late . I still believe they will take the series though. Defense for 48 mins and rebound . Shots will come and fall
Well, that's two posts in which you missed my point...do I have to spell it out?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #27
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCmasta View Post

harsh is not quite the word I would use to describe your post.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #28
JCmasta

Quote:
harsh is not quite the word I would use to describe your post.
Judging by your username i'm sure even if we get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round this year and have a string of 50+ win seasons with nothing to show for it Dirk can do no wrong and it's the players around him that suck and come up short and not him.

He's a great player and he's provided us with some great memories but if we lose in the first round then i think it would be time to move on. Too many great players will be out on the Market so it would be a great time for a fresh start. Hopefully we succeed and win a championship with him but the dude hasn't done anything to make himself untouchable yet like Kobe or Duncan. The T-Wolves moved on from Garnett, 76ers moved on from AI, and in the NFL Philly moved on from MCnabb. They're all HOFers but they couldn't get it done for their team after several years of being the guy.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #29
ItGetzReal

Quote:
Well, that's two posts in which you missed my point...do I have to spell it out?
I got ya already. Trying to be positive and believe in the boys in Blue....