Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rangers to destroy the hapless A's...

Discuss..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Hopefully.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

this is as good a place as any to mention this, arod is flat out killing the ball right now. 2 more homers tonight.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
this is as good a place as any to mention this, arod is flat out killing the ball right now. 2 more homers tonight.
absolutely insane. 12 HR 30 RBI in 15 games.
22 hits 12 of em are HR.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

10-0 A's through 4. WOOHOOO!!!

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah..but the Rangers are coming back..
until Tex strikes out.. the dumb p**sy...

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-20-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

did tex go to the brad wilkerson school of hitting this summer?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

McCarthy's been terrible, I expected himto be much better than he has been.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 04-20-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Might want to rename this thread. This Ranger team can't hit, can't field, and can't pitch. This season could get real ugly if they don't get their shit together and soon. The bad part of this start is that their new manager is a standup guy, seems bright and very knowledgeable and yet......................the players aren't performing up to their capacity. Then again, maybe they are. This team needs a real owner and GM. Almost every trade they've made the last few years has completely backfired on them. How is that even possible?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Best. Ranger. Thread. Ever.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
Might want to rename this thread. This Ranger team can't hit, can't field, and can't pitch. This season could get real ugly if they don't get their shit together and soon. The bad part of this start is that their new manager is a standup guy, seems bright and very knowledgeable and yet......................the players aren't performing up to their capacity. Then again, maybe they are. This team needs a real owner and GM. Almost every trade they've made the last few years has completely backfired on them. How is that even possible?
because you are only thinking of the trades that have gone badly??? ricrod for padilla? delucci for tejeda? there have been some stinkers but there have been some steals stuck in there too.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #12
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
because you are only thinking of the trades that have gone badly??? ricrod for padilla? delucci for tejeda? there have been some stinkers but there have been some steals stuck in there too.
That is why I wrote the word "almost". Both Padilla and Tejeda are Rangers because both demonstrated to their former team that they couldn't be trusted so they gave up on them basically taking what they could get. Padilla is a little crazy and has major slip ups in concentration while Tejeda was just plain wild. Both pitchers are loaded with talent, but the question is will they ever harness that talent to their full potential. Padilla still hasn't won a game this year though he was pretty danged good last year. He is walking batters all over the place and basically gave Seattle the game when he beaned Ichiro. Tejeda has been up and down and still has control issues. The long ball is biting him in the ass just like Padilla. I think both guys can be real good, but I still wouldn't mind it if the Rangers upgraded. Padilla isn't really a solid #2 guy just like McCarthy isn't a solid #3. Padilla has some real issues while McCarthy is still just a pup who is going to experience growing pains. Put these in the "win" column trades if you want but I am going to take the wait and see approach.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Um, RicRod was cut by the Phillies during Spring Training. Padilla won 15 games last year. I don't care if his arm falls off tomorrow, that's a huge WIN.

Tejeda is a young pitcher that's starting to show signs of figureing it out. We gave up a 4th outfielder for him, a guy that was a free agent this past offseason and didn't re-sign with the Phils.

This is less of a win right now, but it's certainly a win, and I assure you, the Phillies would do trade backs on both of them in an instant.

As far as winning trades, don't forget the Dominguez for Rhenieker and Koronka trade. Those guys may never contribute again, but they helped last year, and Dominguez is out of baseball I believe.

Also, the Einar Diaz for Chris Young trade was a GREAT trade. It's hard to look at it that way with the two brutal disasters sandwiched around it, (only one of which JD is responsible for), but really, that still remains a really nice trade.

I'm not as sold on JD as I was this time last year. I think he's mismanaged the roster a bit. I also am still very much wondering about the Danks trade, even though that's second guessing because I supported it at the time.

But, I still think you have to give JD and this team time. They still have a very nice bullpen, they have the potential for a really nice rotation, and they're semi competitive right now with an absolutely horrible offense. The offense WILL come around.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-21-2007 at 10:10 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Same shit. Different day.

Rangers suck.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

the killer trade was the young, sledge, and AGon for Otsuka and mr. fingergate.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

The good news is that the A's will be too tired to run the bases today.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

The ass kicking has begun.. Loe and a trio of relievers have held the A's to three hits so far into the 8th.. and no runs.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #18
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

The Rangers look real good tonight, the pitching's been great.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #19
GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Um, RicRod was cut by the Phillies during Spring Training. Padilla won 15 games last year. I don't care if his arm falls off tomorrow, that's a huge WIN.

Tejeda is a young pitcher that's starting to show signs of figureing it out. We gave up a 4th outfielder for him, a guy that was a free agent this past offseason and didn't re-sign with the Phils.

This is less of a win right now, but it's certainly a win, and I assure you, the Phillies would do trade backs on both of them in an instant.

As far as winning trades, don't forget the Dominguez for Rhenieker and Koronka trade. Those guys may never contribute again, but they helped last year, and Dominguez is out of baseball I believe.

Also, the Einar Diaz for Chris Young trade was a GREAT trade. It's hard to look at it that way with the two brutal disasters sandwiched around it, (only one of which JD is responsible for), but really, that still remains a really nice trade.

I'm not as sold on JD as I was this time last year. I think he's mismanaged the roster a bit. I also am still very much wondering about the Danks trade, even though that's second guessing because I supported it at the time.

But, I still think you have to give JD and this team time. They still have a very nice bullpen, they have the potential for a really nice rotation, and they're semi competitive right now with an absolutely horrible offense. The offense WILL come around.
I think that JD like all young guys will inevitably improve as he becomes more experienced and seasoned. Nobody is ever great at their job when they first begin. It takes time. Unfortunately, he has an owner who wanted someone who will be more active than the last guy so some of these moves seem to have been done just for the sake of rearranging the deck chairs so to speak. Now, the shame of the matter is going to be that JD will most likely get the axe just as he starts to figure it out and becomes good at his job. Then some other team will snap him up and not have to deal with the growing pains. Unfortunately, that is the way professional ball seems to work sometimes.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
I think that JD like all young guys will inevitably improve as he becomes more experienced and seasoned. Nobody is ever great at their job when they first begin. It takes time. Unfortunately, he has an owner who wanted someone who will be more active than the last guy so some of these moves seem to have been done just for the sake of rearranging the deck chairs so to speak. Now, the shame of the matter is going to be that JD will most likely get the axe just as he starts to figure it out and becomes good at his job. Then some other team will snap him up and not have to deal with the growing pains. Unfortunately, that is the way professional ball seems to work sometimes.
Eh, I don't see Hicks cutting him loose any time soon, unless the Danks trade turns into a disaster within the next year or so. The PR hit from that might be enough to let him go.

Other than that, I see JD being here several more years at least.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I can not fathom how poorly Michael Young is hitting right now. I mean, he's not even getting runners hom from third with less than two outs.

And I swear, how many times can Tex kill himself to pull a ball that's 2 inches outside only to dribble it right to the second baseman?

On the plus side, Tejeda is continuing to look very very solid so far.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I will never understand by Tex can't drop a freaking bunt down the third baseline when he's hitting with a runner on third and they put the shift on.

I just don't get it. Do it a couple times and maybe they'll stop shifting you for a while.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #23
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Did something happen to Gagne? I was just keeping an eye on Yahoo & it shows he only got one out before being replaced by Aki?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Did something happen to Gagne? I was just keeping an eye on Yahoo & it shows he only got one out before being replaced by Aki?
Yeah, he did something to his right leg on the 3-2 pitch. Looked like he might have pulled something. He was in a lot of discomfort when he limped off.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #25
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Gagne got injured.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #26
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Well at least the Rangers won.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #27
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

You know, that actually could be a lower back injury. If he messed up a disk, it might have aggravated his leg.

If it's his lower back, which is what he had surgery on last year, he could be done.

Who knows.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

According to the DMN, Gagne's injury is a strained hip, and he's day to day.

You'd have to think that's no big deal, in the grand scheme of things.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #29
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

With Gagne you can never be sure even on day to day things, but it certainly sounds better than it could have been.

Even so I just picked up Otsuka in my fantasy league just in case.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
With Gagne you can never be sure even on day to day things, but it certainly sounds better than it could have been.

Even so I just picked up Otsuka in my fantasy league just in case.
Oh, I'm sure it's something that could be a couple weeks.

But it's not season ending, which it could've been if it was a back or something popped in his leg.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #31
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Oh, I'm sure it's something that could be a couple weeks.

But it's not season ending, which it could've been if it was a back or something popped in his leg.
Yeah, they'll probably be overly cautious and he'll miss a couple weeks, but luckily it wasn't as bad as it could've been.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Gagne to the 15 day dl, Frankie Frank being called up.

JD says that the 15 DL is extremely over cautious. If their bullpen wasn't so overloaded right now from McCarthy's last start, I wonder if they might not just have carried him for a few days.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game