Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #41
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Man, this is a tough one.

Memphis front court is tough. Gasol gives Tyson issues, big time. Tyson actually would be a better defender on Z-Bo...but you don't really want Dirk banging with Gasol. Dirk's defense was flat out fantastic on Pau, but if he's on Z-Bo I'm more worried about foul trouble. Tony Allen and OJ Mayo are the types of guys that I think give JET a lot of trouble.

But on the other hand, the Durant/Westbrook combo is pretty prolific.

X Factor...Dirk absolutely torches OKC and Marion guards KD well...I gotta say OKC.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #42
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
X Factor...Dirk absolutely torches OKC and Marion guards KD well...I gotta say OKC.
The thing is, we haven't played OKC since their trade. And Ibaka basically never played PF before their trade, so he never really guarded Dirk. I feel like he's someone that could give Dirk a little more trouble than he's used to.

This might drive me to buying a Synergy Sports membership this week so I can see how many times Dirk as worked against Ibaka.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #43
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, OKC has an incredible crowd. I feel like that should be taken into account somewhat.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #44
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
The thing is, we haven't played OKC since their trade. And Ibaka basically never played PF before their trade, so he never really guarded Dirk. I feel like he's someone that could give Dirk a little more trouble than he's used to.

This might drive me to buying a Synergy Sports membership this week so I can see how many times Dirk as worked against Ibaka.
I agree about the crowd. Disagree about Ibaka. We might need to step in with Synergy Sports...but I recall Ibaka guarding Dirk a number of times last year (and this year) with little success. I think Dirk is too crafty for Serge...and while hella athletic, Serge is only like 6"9 so Dirk still has a nice height advantage. It's like Josh Smith...he *should* guard Dirk well, but he really doesn't.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #45
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Westbrook may seem inefficient and unable to run an offense against the Grizz, but once he matches up with Jkidd he will dominate and become unguardable...don't sleep on Westbrook.. b/c speedy ball hog PG's are the Mavs kryptonite

Another thing...I think saying Marion can guard Durant is an exaggeration, maybe slow him down for a game or two, but for 7 games series? I dunno bout that fellas

I can't believe Zach freaking Randolph has garnered this much respect
Old 05-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #46
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

We matched up well with both teams during the season. It will not be easy, but I feel we could take either team in six closely contested games.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 AM   #47
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
Westbrook may seem inefficient and unable to run an offense against the Grizz, but once he matches up with Jkidd he will dominate and become unguardable...don't sleep on Westbrook.. b/c speedy ball hog PG's are the Mavs kryptonite

Another thing...I think saying Marion can guard Durant is an exaggeration, maybe slow him down for a game or two, but for 7 games series? I dunno bout that fellas

I totally agree (except for the part about Z-bo. The dude is flat-out beasting right now.)

Westbrook is exactly the kind of player the Mavs do not want to see in these playoffs. There's just nobody on the Mavs roster that can guard those lightning-quick PG's. While I don't like the idea of Dirk having to guard Gasol or Z-bo, if the Mavs' complete and utter domination of the Lakers have proved anything, it's that the Mavs' frontline can defend the paint.

I'm not saying I like either matchup, because I don't, but I'd be more comfortable with the Mavs taking their chances against Z-bo and Gasol than against Westbrook and Durant.

That being said, the Grizz' stout perimeter defense does worry me because the Mavs' insanely hot 3-pt shooting is what carried them to victory over the Lakers. I could see the Mavs lighting up OKC in a similar way from downtown. Memphis could be considerably tougher.

This is a really, really tough call. But in a toss-up, I have to say I prefer the Grizz.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #48
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree about the crowd. Disagree about Ibaka. We might need to step in with Synergy Sports...but I recall Ibaka guarding Dirk a number of times last year (and this year) with little success. I think Dirk is too crafty for Serge...and while hella athletic, Serge is only like 6"9 so Dirk still has a nice height advantage. It's like Josh Smith...he *should* guard Dirk well, but he really doesn't.
After 12-13 years of Dirk being Dirk, I think we should all realize that there's no player in the NBA who can effectively guard Dirk one-on-one. The only way to effectively guard Dirk is to double him. Throughout Dirk's entire career, the ONLY player I've ever seen consistently guard him well for any noticeable stretch was... Shawn Marion.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #49
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I totally agree (except for the part about Z-bo. The dude is flat-out beasting right now.)

Westbrook is exactly the kind of player the Mavs do not want to see in these playoffs. There's just nobody on the Mavs roster that can guard those lightning-quick PG's. While I don't like the idea of Dirk having to guard Gasol or Z-bo, if the Mavs' complete and utter domination of the Lakers have proved anything, it's that the Mavs' frontline can defend the paint.

I'm not saying I like either matchup, because I don't, but I'd be more comfortable with the Mavs taking their chances against Z-bo and Gasol than against Westbrook and Durant.

That being said, the Grizz' stout perimeter defense does worry me because the Mavs' insanely hot 3-pt shooting is what carried them to victory over the Lakers. I could see the Mavs lighting up OKC in a similar way from downtown. Memphis could be considerably tougher.

This is a really, really tough call. But in a toss-up, I have to say I prefer the Grizz.
Memphis was only 24th in league in defending the 3 in regular season. Allen and Battier are great ISO defenders however
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #50
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

1. Rest is great not just because we can recuperate, but also because we have all the time in the world to watch and study these teams and come up with all kinds of strategies. Also we have time to make plans for bringing back Roddy and Caron if that is possible.

2. I think both teams are not ready to go all the way trough to the finals. They'll be amazed at being in the WCF and will have less urgency because of their youth. For our guys this is it. Maybe, probably the last realistic shot for most of them to win it all. I feel Memphis causes us more trouble because of their ugly style of play, notably Randolph, OKC appears to be much "softer" whatever that means. I'd take my chances with a jump-shooting OKC team. Durant will come down to earth. But I am afraid it will happen againt Memphis not against us. We'll play Memphis.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 AM   #51
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Watching Mike & Mike and the two Mikes think no matter who wins Memphis/OKC the Mavs will be favored in the WCF.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #52
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

BTW we should not forget that OKC vs. MEM went to OT. Hopefully they will continue to play heavy minutes.

What concerns me more are the finals. A loss in the finalls will be absolutely devastating for this team. MIA, CHI, BOS, ATL have nothing to lose. From now undtil the finals the pressure is on our team. Do or die. Hopefully they will do...

Last edited by markus1234; 05-09-2011 at 08:10 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #53
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Actually, before the first round, there have been quite a lot of "experts" saying that Dirk vs LMA would be a wash. We saw how that went. Before the 2nd, some of those same "experts" were wondering whether Pau or Dirk was the best European ever. Even they know now. So I'd think it's only logical to want to play Z-Bo and see how that one will turn out.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #54
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
BTW we should not forget that OKC vs. MEM went to OT. Hopefully they will continue to play heavy minutes.

What concerns me more are the finals. A loss in the finalls will be absolutely devastating for this team. MIA, CHI, BOS, ATL have nothing to lose. From now undtil the finals the pressure is on our team. Do or die. Hopefully they will do...
They've been dealing with pressure since the minute the playoffs started. If not, how about the collapse in Portland? OK, what about after winning Game 2 in LA?

The pressure has been there all of the way and they don't care. The team has said if you don't want pressure, then don't be in the playoffs. You have to embrace the pressure.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #55
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

My superstition is to never wish/hope for any opponent. It seems that far too often the cliche "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it" comes into play. The Mavs can beat anyone when they are playing at the top of their game so their opponent doesn't really matter.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #56
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I was leaning OKC initially, but now I think I'm leaning Memphis. Five reasons:

1) Memphis's advantage--the reason they beat the Spurs--is their front-court size. The Spurs have no size in the front court, except Duncan, who is skinny and old. This is the same as the Lakers' advantage over most teams. Mavs proved this round that they have enough size to negate or at least mitigate that advantage, although Cad is obviously right that Chandler is too wirey to dominate Z-Bo or Gasol on defense.

2) OKC has the best player of either team. Arguably, they have the best two players of either team, although the way Westbrook is playing right now, that's certainly not true at the moment. I do think Z-Bo will come back down to earth, though. We saw signs of it in Game 2 against OKC. He's definitely improved a ton, but I can't imagine the guy will continue to hit every crazy fadeway in crunch time he shoots.

3) Like thig said, OKC has the better home crowd. Mavs won there twice this year, so they're not scared of it, but they get crazy in the playoffs.

4) At this point, if OKC wins, it means they will have closed out the series winning 3/4 with at least one win on the road. That's a confidence builder, which will presumably help get Westbrook and KD out of their current disconnect.

5) We were 1-3 against Memphis, but one was pretty much without Dirk, one was a blown late lead where the Mavs committed like 90 turnovers late the second game of the year, and one was a monumental fold-job after building a huge lead. Not particularly scary.

But one reason to prefer OKC: they are more similar to the Heat and Bulls, with a very talented penetrating guard (and in the Heat's case, also an elite forward). Might be good practice. Memphis would take an entirely different gameplan than what we'd use in the Finals.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #57
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I was leaning OKC initially, but now I think I'm leaning Memphis. Five reasons:

1) Memphis's advantage--the reason they beat the Spurs--is their front-court size. The Spurs have no size in the front court, except Duncan, who is skinny and old. This is the same as the Lakers' advantage over most teams. Mavs proved this round that they have enough size to negate or at least mitigate that advantage, although Cad is obviously right that Chandler is too wirey to dominate Z-Bo or Gasol on defense.

2) OKC has the best player of either team. Arguably, they have the best two players of either team, although the way Westbrook is playing right now, that's certainly not true at the moment. I do think Z-Bo will come back down to earth, though. We saw signs of it in Game 2 against OKC. He's definitely improved a ton, but I can't imagine the guy will continue to hit every crazy fadeway in crunch time he shoots.

3) Like thig said, OKC has the better home crowd. Mavs won there twice this year, so they're not scared of it, but they get crazy in the playoffs.

4) At this point, if OKC wins, it means they will have closed out the series winning 3/4 with at least one win on the road. That's a confidence builder, which will presumably help get Westbrook and KD out of their current disconnect.

5) We were 1-3 against Memphis, but one was pretty much without Dirk, one was a blown late lead where the Mavs committed like 90 turnovers late the second game of the year, and one was a monumental fold-job after building a huge lead. Not particularly scary.

But one reason to prefer OKC: they are more similar to the Heat and Bulls, with a very talented penetrating guard (and in the Heat's case, also an elite forward). Might be good practice. Memphis would take an entirely different gameplan than what we'd use in the Finals.
I would almost view your reason to prefer OKC as a 6th reason to prefer Memphis. Yeah, we would have to figure out how to play against a Miami/Chicago without a tune up (if we get there and if one of those two get there) but Miami/Chicago in that example would have tape of anywhere from 4-7 games of how to avoid Dallas from stopping them that same way.

Give me Memphis. We can beat either, and either can beat us if we don't come committed and ready to go. That said, you avoid true superstars where possible and Zach isn't that. He is playing like one now, but he is also a head case that can explode at any point. Memphis is a tough gritty team and the series would be more like the one with Portland than the one with LA; however, I always pick the lesser of two evils and I believe that is Memphis.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #58
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I think with a week or so until the Conf Finals will be underway, I'd like to start discussing the starting lineup. It has been the only weakness in this run so far. They are -14.06 in EffDiff in the Playoffs and while they managed to held their own against the big but ineffective backcourt of the Blazers, they got outscored 53-75 against the Lakers. From our Top10 lineups in terms of possessions played this is our worst. By far.

Against the more dynamic and athletics backcourts of both Memphis and the Thunder Stevenson might not be the best fit any longer.

For the season:
Marion, Nowitzki, Chandler, Stevenson, Kidd: 277.20 Poss; 97.75 OffEff; 97.39 DefEff; +0.36 EffDiff
Marion, Nowitzki, Chandler, Beaubois, Kidd: 249.10 Poss; 99.54 OffEff; 90.71 DefEff; +8.83 EffDiff
Marion, Nowitzki, ,Chandler, Terry, Kidd: 481.50 Poss; 126.48 OffEff; 100.31 DefEff; +26.17 EffDiff
Marion, Nowitzki, Chandler, Brewer, Kidd: 7.70 Poss; 182.80 OffEff; 78.34 DefEff; +104.46 EffDiff

Terry won't happen and Brewer's sample size is really small. But anyway: The combination with Stevenson is flat out the worst.

Don't want the Mavs to pay the price for not changing their starting lineup like Miami did in Game 3 on Saturday.

Last edited by j0Shi; 05-09-2011 at 11:31 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #59
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
I would almost view your reason to prefer OKC as a 6th reason to prefer Memphis. Yeah, we would have to figure out how to play against a Miami/Chicago without a tune up (if we get there and if one of those two get there) but Miami/Chicago in that example would have tape of anywhere from 4-7 games of how to avoid Dallas from stopping them that same way.

Give me Memphis. We can beat either, and either can beat us if we don't come committed and ready to go. That said, you avoid true superstars where possible and Zach isn't that. He is playing like one now, but he is also a head case that can explode at any point. Memphis is a tough gritty team and the series would be more like the one with Portland than the one with LA; however, I always pick the lesser of two evils and I believe that is Memphis.
Hmm. Not only is Zach playing like a superstar but he has reacted well to defenders doing anything they possibly can physically to stop him. He has been a different player imo this season and especially in the playoffs. His demeanor and calm attitude is similar to watching Dirk this year. He knows guys are going to try and get physical with him and try to push him out of his comfort zone but no one is stopping him and he all the sudden looks like he has been doing it for years. He has carried the team thru every tough stretch they have faced in the post season.

In general, Regardless of who we play next it's going to be much tougher because the opposing team is going to work much harder than the Lakers in almost every aspect of the game. The point guards are going to be much faster and more effective too which is a worry for us. There are bigger hurdles going forward to the finals. In theory we should probably beat either team because we are a veteran team that moves the ball as good or better than any team I have ever seen in NBA history. We have played so well and beaten two damn good basketball teams thus far that we should have "in theory" had more problems with. We played awesome basketball and it was a stellar and unexpected sweep but that wasn't the same Laker team that won it two years straight. Other than being really proud, Idk what to think right now of the next series.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-09-2011 at 11:45 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #60
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

The Thunder are my second favorite team, so I am just going to keep it separate and pull for them for now.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #61
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post

No doubt, Marion won't stop Durant to under 10 a game in a series. The thing you want Marion, Brewer or whoever else to do, is to make Durant work for everything he gets, pull a jersey here, an elbow there, a bump here, get him off his sweet spot. Make Durant work, make him work on both ends of the court, given the Mavs offense to swing the ball back and forth that will help.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #62
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
I think with a week or so until the Conf Finals will be underway, I'd like to start discussing the starting lineup. It has been the only weakness in this run so far. They are -14.06 in EffDiff in the Playoffs and while they managed to held their own against the big but ineffective backcourt of the Blazers, they got outscored 53-75 against the Lakers. From our Top10 lineups in terms of possessions played this is our worst. By far.

Against the more dynamic and athletics backcourts of both Memphis and the Thunder Stevenson might not be the best fit any longer.

For the season:
Marion, Nowitzki, Chandler, Stevenson, Kidd: 277.20 Poss; 97.75 OffEff; 97.39 DefEff; +0.36 EffDiff
Marion, Nowitzki, Chandler, Beaubois, Kidd: 249.10 Poss; 99.54 OffEff; 90.71 DefEff; +8.83 EffDiff
Marion, Nowitzki, ,Chandler, Terry, Kidd: 481.50 Poss; 126.48 OffEff; 100.31 DefEff; +26.17 EffDiff
Marion, Nowitzki, Chandler, Brewer, Kidd: 7.70 Poss; 182.80 OffEff; 78.34 DefEff; +104.46 EffDiff

Terry won't happen and Brewer's sample size is really small. But anyway: The combination with Stevenson is flat out the worst.

Don't want the Mavs to pay the price for not changing their starting lineup like Miami did in Game 3 on Saturday.
I think this is wasted effort at this point. There's just no way that this team changes their starting lineup after winning six straight. You can look at all the statistical evidence you want, but you have to consider the locker room and the momentum they must feel right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #63
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzness81 View Post
1. Will the rest hurt the Mavs?

This team has been playing at a high level and with a lot of emotion and intensity constantly for two weeks now. With all this time off, against a young OKC/Grizz team that is sure to enter the conference finals with a lot of momentum, will it put the Mavs at a disadvantage?

2. Who would you rather face? I'll take the Grizz.
No. For a veteran team, like the Mavs, they'll be fine. It never has lost a series for any team, the rest is great. I remember the 03 Nets won 10 straight playoff games before losing Game 1 in the finals. If anythiing you'll see rust maybe the first quarter and that's about it.

Matchup wise, I could care less, JJ can get by either PG's. We have the best player on either team. Both top defenders cannot stop Dirk. From Perkins-Ibaka-Gasol. Both fan bases are rabid due to the current winning, so that washes out. Wing wise, Memphis have a tougher group of defenders in Allen/Battier/Young, then do OK City...Sefolosha. Harden is their answer to Terry. I'm just hoping the east can beat the hell out of each other, Rondo's down....next up, the Heat.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #64
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
2) OKC has the best player of either team.
In comparison to Memphis, or us?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #65
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
He meant Memphis, obviously.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #66
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Did Durant just call Z-Bo "the best pf in the league right now"? After he called Dirk "unguardable"? The guy covers all his bases.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #67
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsman View Post
Did Durant just call Z-Bo "the best pf in the league right now"? After he called Dirk "unguardable"? The guy covers all his bases.
Yea well find that quote and send it to Dirk if we get OKC, Z-bo the best pf?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #68
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsman View Post
He's just too nice of a guy. I have a feeling I already know which player he would call the best PF in the league if we were to meet OKC in the WCF...

Oddly enough, I'm not even mad when a guy like Durant says something like that. Or is he less of a nice guy than I think and instead a cold-blooded opportunist secretly trying to lull his competition?
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #69
CadBane
Banned

Durant comes off as overly faux humble to me. I'm not saying he's not a nice dude...but some of his stuff is clearly an act, like at one point he said something like he doesn't even consider himself a Top 15 player.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #70
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Not sure why everyone here thinks OKC has a better crowd compared to Memphis. It is true during the regular season, but the Fedex Forum has been nuts so far in the playoffs.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #71
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Durant comes off as overly faux humble to me. I'm not saying he's not a nice dude...but some of his stuff is clearly an act, like at one point he said something like he doesn't even consider himself a Top 15 player.
It's possible, although I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt until he blatantly gets to the point where he's an obvious yea-sayer and overly charming.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #72
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
To Memphis. If you buy into the theory that you always want the best player on the court to be your guy, then we should pull for Memphis. And the Celtics.

Quote:
Yeah, he's definitely a nice dude, but he's lying through his teeth when he says that. May be a personal motivation tool, who knows. But obviously he knows he's well into the top 15.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #73
Stylistic
Golden Member

Stylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of light

I also do not believe that memphis and okc crowd is that much louder and wild than rose garden, if at all.

Last edited by Stylistic; 05-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Stylistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #74
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I just realized that out of Dallas, OKC and Memphis, only Dallas has ever been to the WCF or beyond... Hell, even most of the key players on OKC and Memphis have never been this far along.

I think our experience will be useful in the next round...

EDIT: still kinda shocked that we won't be going through the Spurs!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-09-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #75
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I think this is wasted effort at this point. There's just no way that this team changes their starting lineup after winning six straight. You can look at all the statistical evidence you want, but you have to consider the locker room and the momentum they must feel right now.
Well said...RC's going to trot out stevenson and then get a quick hook with whomever he likes to fix/create a matchup.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #76
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

F'em both...bring 'em on, I don't give a crap who.

That being said, those boys down in memphis ARE a load...either one is going to be tough.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #77
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Hell, even the players on OKC and Memphis have never been this far along.
Kendrick Perkins, Tony Allen, and Leon Powe won a ring with Boston in '08, and Nazr Mohammed won a ring with San Antonio in '05.

Only Perkins and Allen really play much of a role, but still.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #78
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
Kendrick Perkins, Tony Allen, and Leon Powe won a ring with Boston in '08, and Nazr Mohammed won a ring with San Antonio in '05.

Only Perkins and Allen really play much of a role, but still.
Edited that line to "most of the key players" right before you posted...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #79
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post

For the season:

After yesterday, the best line up the Mavs have (statistically speaking) has to be Barea-Terry-Peja-Dirk-Haywood.

That group didn't even make 82games top twenty line ups for the Mavs--although surprisingly, the same line up with Mahinni replacing Haywood actually had the best Win% of any of the 20 most frequent line ups the Mavs played.

There are 240 minutes of playing time to fill up. I think starting with a defensive-oriented line up is fine. Later on, Carlisle can put in the better offensive players--Peja, Barea and JET.

There may even be times where some of the other guys play important roles.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #80
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

1. No. Kidd need a rest, and this break won't destroy our momentum.
2. MEM. Marion couldn't guard Roy, Odom, so he will guard Durant? I want Grizz, Dirk has to show he's better PF than Yetiface.