Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-22-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default DMN Notebook

Mavs on Dirk injury: 'Sort of pleased'
Nowitzki likely to miss only 7 to 10 days with sprained ankle

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki has a way of looking like his leg is going to fall off when he gets an ankle injury.

But just as with all of his past ankle problems, the latest one won't sideline him for an extended period. Test results Monday indicated nothing more than a sprain, and Nowitzki was walking around, able to put full weight on the left ankle he twisted Sunday at Denver.

The early prognosis is he'll be out a week to 10 days.

"We're sort of pleased," said Don Nelson. "He will miss some games, but it's not as serious as we thought when he first did it."

Nowitzki was not placed on the injured list, meaning he could return anytime. He would have had to sit out the mandatory five games if he had been put on the list.

"I thought it was a serious injury, maybe extended time, like Mike [Finley's ankle]," Nelson said. "But he didn't have much swelling. He recovers amazingly well."

Calvin Booth started in Nowitzki's place.

There was some good news:

Center Erick Dampier was back in the starting lineup against Minnesota on Monday night.

Leaning on Stack:

Jerry Stackhouse will be asked to pick up some of the scoring slack left by Dirk Nowitzki's absence.

"I'd say he's got the green light, to a certain extent," Nelson said. "You have to give a good scorer [some leeway]. They're going to take a bad shot once in a while. Just don't overdo it."

Stackhouse said everybody who is healthy is going to have to upgrade their production.

"It's not just me," Stackhouse said. "We all have to pitch in. We run so much through Dirk that it's going to be a change for all of us."

Wait 'til next time:

With Dirk Nowitzki out, it robbed fans of seeing him match up against Minnesota's Kevin Garnett. Together, Garnett and Nowitzki are two of the best all-around power forwards in the game.

Garnett was asked about how Nowitzki is handling the ball more this season, similar to what Garnett does. The question brought forth one of this season's best quotes so far.

"Dirk can see this black angel pick him up 94 feet," Garnett told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "We'll see how well he handles it then."
Old 11-22-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: DMN Notebook

Quote:
"Dirk can see this black angel pick him up 94 feet," Garnett told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "We'll see how well he handles it then."
Brave words from a guy who's been pretty consistently incapable of doing much to stop Dirk from going nuts on his a$$. Can't wait till KG actually has to deal with a healthy Mavs team that's not playing on the second night of a back-to-back.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:42 PM   #3
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

KG is an idiot. I am so proud of Josh Howard right now.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:58 PM   #4
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

KG has always held a grudge towards Dirk.

Dirk has the head2head advantage by 7 I believe.

Including a sweep, and a game 3 KG still see in his nightmares.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:04 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hollywood Garnett.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:07 AM   #6
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE:DMN Notebook

I hope someone accidently slides his foot under KG... or accidently elbows him and knocks out a tooth... or even better throws beer at him.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I am just slow or what the hell was KG trying to say?
Old 11-23-2004, 12:17 AM   #8
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

What does Jessica Alba have to do with basketball?
Old 11-23-2004, 12:18 AM   #9
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Triple Threat.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:19 AM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That he could stop Dirk. Pretty funny, huh. Obviously he's threatened by all the talk about Dirk as an MVP candidate. Can I just say that it's really nice being a fan of an elite player who's comfortable letting his play speak for itself.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:37 AM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Garnett was asked about how Nowitzki is handling the ball more this season, similar to what Garnett does. The question brought forth one of this season's best quotes so far.

classy is something KG will never be accused of being.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:12 AM   #12
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

We're not exactly talking about a scholar athlete guys...Garnett and "bright" have never existed together in a sentence.