Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's your workout?

I frequently make adjustments to what I do.. Sometimes I get on running kicks.. sometimes I like to try something new. What's your workout?

Right now, I currently do a combination of:

Trampoline - 30 minutes on Sundays usually - focus on cross country skiing motion
Running - treadmill primarily; usually a little less than 3 miles and often involving sprints mixed in with the distance
Exercise Bike - Will sometimes end a workout with 10 minute on the bike while doing curls. It helps to get the hear rate up a bit
Eliptical
Weights - macine, free weights, dumb bells
Medicine Ball - usually 6-7 different medicine ball exercises after lifting and prior to cardio
Push ups and crunches - push ups at various angles

Variety is the spice of life I suppose.

One thing that I'm going to try this weekend is working out with a sledge hammer. It is exactly what it sounds like. Use the sledge hammer to hammer away on a tire for 10-15 minutes. Switch arms so you can get an even workout. I'm going to try that this coming weekend.. I've never done it, but it sounds like a great workout. I figure it's something I can do quickly after doing some push ups and crunches.. great way to top off the day. And yeah, try not to use a tire that's attached to a rim that's attached to a car/truck/suv.

My question is this.. what do you do? I'm looking for something different to add just so I don't burn myself out doing the same things too often.

My Monday through Thursday workout is kinda set simply because of the time of day. I'll start working out at about 6:00
Weights (Monday and Wedneday)
Medicine Ball
Push Ups
Crunches
Eliptical - 25 minutes
Treadmill - 25 minutes
Exercise bike - (don't always do this - 10-15 minutes)

Friday, I'll do some push ups and crunches... and medicine ball exercises

Saturday,
Weights
Medicine Ball
Eliptical
Run (indoor track)
Walk while doing different medicine ball exercises.. Makes a few people around me nervous when they're passing me while I'm throwing a medicine ball into the air. But it's one heck of a shoulder workout.

Sunday,
Push ups
crunches
Medicine ball
trampoline

I suppose I'll be incorporating the sledgehammer 4 times a week or so. If I like it, it might be something I do even more of. I think it'll help to give me a full body workout.. and help me with some areas that are probably lacking a bit. Will definitely help to get my core in shape.

Now, I haven't been at this all that long. In the past, I had done a variety of things from time to time, but my primary focus had been on running. I'm toning that down a bit because of feet/calf issues. I find that I can run without issue after being on the eliptical. No amount of stretching does me much good.. but the elitpical has done wonders for getting my feet/calves warmed up for running. However, I'm steering away from pushing it with distances longer than 3 miles.

So, any other good exercises/non traditional workout ideas from anyone?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Well, I'm not in good enough aerobic shape to do a lot of stuff, and I get no dopamine high from most cardio stuff.

Soooo, my workout is very simple and I only have one. Thirty jumping jacks, ten lunges for each leg, and ten squats, with increasing barbell weights. That covers hamstrings, quads, and glutes and also gets my heart rate going more than anything else.

For my upper half, I keep it very, very simple. Pull-ups work my biceps, shoulders, and back. I still have to use some assistance (i.e., I can't pull myself up from the ground yet), but it's getting there and I'm making real progress. Then I do dips for triceps, shoulders, chest, and abs. I do three reps of eight of each, trading off between the two with decreasing assistance with each workout if I can manage it. If I sense that I haven't worked my shoulders enough (my arm muscles are generally exhausted by the time I'm done), I'll go grab free weights and do some deltoid raises.

Then I go back and re-do my lower half again, ten lunges for each leg and ten squats. I finish up by doing ab planks. Then I stretch my legs most thoroughly.

This generally takes me about forty-five minutes to complete, and I do it every other day if I'm able. It's hardly a non-traditional workout, but it's something I don't find mind-numbingly boring. I get no natural pleasure from exercise, so I'm just really looking on getting trim. I've kept the weight I lost last year off pretty effectively, but I need to trade some of my fat for muscle, because despite having perfectly acceptable stats (5'8", 160), I still have a ridiculous muffin top and anterior pelvic tilt. I actually have curves in my arms (the good kind) that I've literally never had before in my life.

Don't know how much help this will be, because you obviously enjoy being active a lot more than I do, but that's what I do.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 08-14-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I'm looking to get more and more away from is lifting weights. I don't like lifting. I know smiles mentioned some things in the past that might be helpful. Because I want to get away from weights..well, I'm willing to try some different things... Medicine Ball/Sledgehammer.. and whatever else I can come up with. Obviously, pushups and sit ups...

I'm leaning a little hard on cardio right now mostly because I want to drop a few pounds. Once I do that, I'll slow down on that (no more than 30 minutes a day).. and I'll utilize other workout options more. I'm just trying to identify what those options are. The sledgehammer workout is awesome. Swinging a sledgehammer will help your core.

One workout involving the sledgehammer is called "shovelglove". It's a short workout that you might actually enjoy.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Monday - Chest/Biceps
Tuesday - Back/Triceps
Wednesday - Heavy Legs/Shoulders/Traps
Thursday - Chest/Biceps
Friday - Back/Triceps

The above is for building mass and strength. The below is for maintenance and toning.

Monday - Chest/Biceps
Tuesday - Cardio/core group class
Wednesday - Back/Tricep
Thursday - Cardio/core group class
Friday - Heavy Legs/Shoulders/Traps

I'm too lazy to list all of the lifts and repititions but it's pretty standard stuff. The group class is excellent because I simply wouldn't do enough cardio on my own and the lady kicks our asses. It also involves a little bit of body sculpting/strength building but that comes relatively easy to me in comparison to the rest of the class. I like to lift for more size and strength. It allows me to cover health and body image at the same time since I cycle through and utilize different workouts. It also helps to switch from a push/pull combination to pull/pull or push/push after a month or two of each.

If I run I tend to run a 2-2.5 mile course nearby the office to cover my "cardio" if I'm not doing the class. I usually will do heavy weighted abs and more movement abs beforehand to get an extra burn or return on the workout. I'm looking at moving away from long distance into more of the short burst running and core related running, sprints and burst running.

Anyways, I love working out, if you couldn't tell.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

My problem is this... I absolutely hate lifting weights. I hate it with a passion. It might have something to do with starting at a young age.. my dad would take me to the gym back when I was 11-12 or so to lift. It was fun then, but I absolutely hated it by the time I was 14-15.. hated it ever since.

So, I'm trying to work myself into getting my "weight" training through other avenues. Obviously, it can be done. Actually, it's pretty damn easy to find guys that are extremely strong that don't lift weights at all. I just need to incorporate some strength training without using traditional "weights".. Which is why I'm incorporating sledgehammers, doing more pushups/pull ups, medicine ball, and... well, that's it. I have the "and" with no answer what else to add.. I'd like to do a little more as far as the strength training/muscle building is concerned.

When it comes to cardio, I'm pretty much happy with what I do. Between playing basketball, running, elliptical, exercise bike, and walking..well, that will work.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
My problem is this... I absolutely hate lifting weights. I hate it with a passion. It might have something to do with starting at a young age.. my dad would take me to the gym back when I was 11-12 or so to lift. It was fun then, but I absolutely hated it by the time I was 14-15.. hated it ever since.

So, I'm trying to work myself into getting my "weight" training through other avenues. Obviously, it can be done. Actually, it's pretty damn easy to find guys that are extremely strong that don't lift weights at all. I just need to incorporate some strength training without using traditional "weights".. Which is why I'm incorporating sledgehammers, doing more pushups/pull ups, medicine ball, and... well, that's it. I have the "and" with no answer what else to add.. I'd like to do a little more as far as the strength training/muscle building is concerned.

When it comes to cardio, I'm pretty much happy with what I do. Between playing basketball, running, elliptical, exercise bike, and walking..well, that will work.
If you're trying to get stronger within this framework you have defined then try doing those pull-ups weighted or incorporate weighted dips. (Linear progression) On the other hand, I've never really felt "strong" doing pushups, but I do feel better when I'm doing them consistently. That accounts for something in my book. See Hershel Walker...freak of nature and poster man for pushups...but he was also doing squats, cleans, and dead lifts...

All the other things you listed are similiar to pushups. You just get good at doing pushups, sledge hammers, medicine ball, etc... but not stronger relative to someone who is doing some type of linear progression with barbells.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 08-16-2012 at 02:56 AM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Honestly, I know alot of people that are incredibly strong that never lifted a weight in their life. One of my brothers benched 300 pounds going into two-a-days his freshman year in high school.. It definitely wasn't from lifting.

There are alot of ways to get stronger/bigger without the use of barbells/dumbells. I suppose when you grow up in a farming/ranching/oil community like I did, you see alot more of it than other people do.

And when I say "without lifting weights".. I'm talking about what you'd traditionally see in a gym. Obviously, I'm not talking about getting stronger without using resistance training. I'm just using "alternative" weights. Swinging around a 12-16 pound sledgehammer is lifting weights. Pushups/pullups... that's lifting a weight... carrying around bags of cement..that's lifting weight. I'm just looking for a few more good ideas.

Last edited by Murphy3; 08-16-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Pulling and pushing over tractor tires is something to consider. You can also use them to beat on with a sledge hammer. Our YMCA where I live has them out back.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 08-16-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Resistence bands work wonders, too, if used correctly. I'll use them from time to time as more of a burnout at the end of a workout. They are probably much more preferable than weights to you.

Push ups - try different angles as well (incline/decline), moving push ups (side to side, varying hand width, etc.)

Pull ups - there are all sorts of pull ups you can do. I'm sure searching P90x will reveal all sorts of different pull ups and push ups as I've seen friends do.

Rope and tire flips - two methods I know work but I haven't tried

Full body - try carrying around two 45's for 3 different time intervals. Hits everything.

Bucket of rice - football friends did this one... said they reached down and clinched as long as they could. Forearms, grip strength, wrists, etc.

I'll try to think of others and post...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
saclare
Platinum Member

ropes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrd0o...eature=related
Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

I have a tire that I hammer away on.. just need to get a slightly larger one to push around. Obviously I'm looking to combine workouts a bit.. Once I drop 10-15 pounds, I'll slow down on the typical cardio (elliptical/running) and work more on exercises that will get the heart rate up while giving multiple muscle groups a great workout such as banging on a tire. Trust me.. you bang on a tire 300-400 times in a workout, you're feeling like you've put in a pretty good days work. The less time I spend at the gym and the more time at home ...well, that's what I"m looking for. I'm not trying to add on alot of bulk at all. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.. but I could use a little more in certain areas such as the forearms. Most of the workouts that I'm wanting to lean towards will help with explosiveness.

Last edited by Murphy3; 08-16-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

The Prowler

I'm looking into getting one of these or a cheaper version of it OR just making one myself. Not just for me but for my kids to use in the future.

Watch videos at bottom of page.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 08-16-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

I've been hitting a heavy bag as part of my routine -- great cardio workout and really tones up the arms/back. Gets all the rage out, too.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Iella, I'm actually considering that...
But, between the True treadmill, the Cybex elliptical, the weights, sledgehammer, tractor tire, medicine balls, trampoline, jump ropes... I'm kinda running out of room.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Iella, I'm actually considering that...
But, between the True treadmill, the Cybex elliptical, the weights, sledgehammer, tractor tire, medicine balls, trampoline, jump ropes... I'm kinda running out of room.
Yeah, I hear you. Logistically, a heavy bag may be more complicated than it's really worth. It was kind of an ordeal to figure out how to hang it in the garage in the first place, and I'm pretty sure my husband still thinks the house is going to fall down while I'm hitting it one day...

Feels great though!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

That's another thing.. I'm looking at buying a house with an acre or two..so, I really don't want to hang anything at this point. However, the new place has a 4 car garage, so there would be plenty of room. Why does it have a 4 car garage? I don't know. I suppose that's just what people do when they have a couple of acres. You'd expect a half million dollar home with a 4 car garage...but anyways.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #17
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

You mentioned the natural strength you've seen growing up in a farm/ranch/oil community, & I was thinking of this myself today. I moved a 50 lb bag of molasses in the garage - same stuff that gets mixed into livestock feed. The movement & smell took me back to when I was as young as 11 or so, & I could lift, load, carry & dump 20-30 of those fifties on an average morning. I don't know how on earth to get back to a place of true & useful strength like that. I don't have the time to start ranching, & I'd be bored out of my mind spending my rare & precious alone time in a weight room. Iella's idea of a punching bag might work with the right kind of music. Not sure where it would go though. I'm not working out at all these days. My oldest tried to stand on my stomach yesterday, & it hurt! I've gone all soft & wimpy.

I should've hired out to load square bales onto trailers this summer.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

It is amazing.. Some of the biggest and strongest people that I've ever known got there not by lifting weights but by doing the things you do living on a ranch or a farm. If you grew up in a small town, you probably always knew a few guys that were just big bad asses that no one in their right mind would mess with.. Obviously, it was never from going to the gym and lifting weights. Hell, we didn't have a gym to go to.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Been considering some work like this, to improve my core strength for my golf game. I like the sledgehammer idea. Except, I think I would rather throw it (as opposed to hitting a tire). I wonder how far one can throw a sledgehammer. Perhaps something lighter is in order?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Also, the guy with the strongest grip I've run across was a guy who ran dirtbikes all his childhood. I'd kill for a stronger grip.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Been considering some work like this, to improve my core strength for my golf game. I like the sledgehammer idea. Except, I think I would rather throw it (as opposed to hitting a tire). I wonder how far one can throw a sledgehammer. Perhaps something lighter is in order?
Look into ...drawing a blank.. look into shovelglove. It's basically a workout using a sledgehammer. You don't actually hit anything. It's basically a workout based around different types of swinging movements with a sledgehammer. I take it much of the workout involves "swinging" and then the act of stopping the swing. I've heard alot of people suggest the workout. I've given it a try a time or two. It can be as easy or as difficult as you choose to make it. You have a sledgehammer in your hand. You don't have to add weight.. just slide your hands up or down the handle a bit to adjust the difficulty.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Why go to so much effort to do something unconventional that doesn't give you results? You can talk all you want about hauling hay and swinging pick axes, sledgehammers.. I've done it all but I was getting paid to do it. Unless you are able to add weight you're not getting any stronger. (PERIOD) I can guarantee you that you'll be good at swinging that sledgehammer. Hell, you'll be a master swinger. But, you'll only be as strong as that weight you are tossing around. It's not really that complicated. You can talk all you want about guys working (not working out) with hay bails and sledgehammers back in the day. I know those guys...they're fucking strong... They're strong because their daddy was strong and their granddaddy was strong... You can't replicate that by going in the backyard and playing in the dirt. It's ridiculous. You'll look ridiculous trying.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Shaggy, you're not very bright. Who says it doesn't give results? Do you realize that this is not remotely a new thing?..not lifting "traditional" gym weights?

Yes, obviously it can be done in different ways. I got tired of the gym.. I'm doing things a different way. I do different exercises.. different weight training. I run 30-40 minutes with a medicine ball... I run sprints while holding a medicine ball. I do different lifts with 50 and 80 pound bags of sand and or concrete.. I beat the hell out of a tire. I do my share of push ups, sit ups, pull ups... I am very, very happy with where I am at and where I am going. I would much rather do what I am doing than go to a gym. That's me. Some like the gym, so more power to them.

As anyone from Waco can tell you, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by Murphy3; 09-05-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #24
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I may not be very bright, but I have done enough research to know that EVERYTHING I was told or have thought up for myself when I was younger to around 34 years old is bullshit. Everything you are saying, I'm sorry, it's bullshit. It will get you nowhere. That means every coach I have ever had was absolutely clueless and as a result I never reached my athletic potential. I'm 37 years old now. I am in the best shape of my life and I have chosen vitality over vanity. Unfortunately, it's a little late for me now to become the athlete I wish I could be, but I have the knowledge to share with my children. They'll never ever ever do a curl. They'll never ever do a shrug. It's pointless...

I've got the results now to prove it. (lbs)

squat (below parallel<-that's redundant but another discussion) from 200x5x3 to 365x5x3
bench press from 185x5x3 to 250x5x3
OH Press from 95x5x3 to 165x5x3
Power Clean from 95x3x5 to 185x3x5
Dead Lift from 135x5x1 to 405x5x1

I'm not talking out of my ass. Even though my ass has gotten pretty big in this process.

Start by reading this jewel. (i think its 7 pages, so print it out) See where it takes you. I challenge you to wake up, old man.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 09-06-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

What's an Ohio press? And why are curls and shrugs pointless? I like curls. They make my biceps feel stronger.

Also, what does it mean that you chose "vitality over vanity?" Aren't the lithe little guys the most vital of all? Why do you feel as though you need all that muscle mass? What is it protecting you against?

I like Murph's idea of using real-world activities to exercise your real-world muscles. My avocation is golf, and that's the present line of thinking there. All the work is in the core muscles, with fairly realistic exercises. No bench presses or anything of the sort there. Lot of medicine balls and lunges and such.

Last edited by chumdawg; 09-06-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

Also...a terrific workout for the golf swing is to take out a decent-size swath of long grass with a golf club. It works the very specific muscles involved. Reminds me of how Albert (Joey) Belle used to swing a baseball bat underwater. Trust me, that is hell of a workout.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #27
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I do like you Chum...You're an educated man. Go figure it out yourself.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #28
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
What's an Ohio press? And why are curls and shrugs pointless? I like curls. They make my biceps feel stronger.

Also, what does it mean that you chose "vitality over vanity?" Aren't the lithe little guys the most vital of all? Why do you feel as though you need all that muscle mass? What is it protecting you against?

I like Murph's idea of using real-world activities to exercise your real-world muscles. My avocation is golf, and that's the present line of thinking there. All the work is in the core muscles, with fairly realistic exercises. No bench presses or anything of the sort there. Lot of medicine balls and lunges and such.
It's just as pointless to do what you are saying as it is to explain all your misconceptions. Where did I say anything about muscle mass? Where did I imply that the size of a man is important?

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 09-06-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #29
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Also...a terrific workout for the golf swing is to take out a decent-size swath of long grass with a golf club. It works the very specific muscles involved. Reminds me of how Albert (Joey) Belle used to swing a baseball bat underwater. Trust me, that is hell of a workout.
You should video yourself doing that. How long did Albert Belle play baseball? 9 years in the Bigs? Nolan has taken shits longer than that.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
It's just as pointless to do what you are saying as it is to explain all your misconceptions. Where did I say anything about muscle mass?
I'm just not sure where you are coming from, that's all. If not muscle mass, what? Is it endurance? I don't know. Maybe you could make it a little more clear.

What I'm getting at is...if you are going for Nolan Ryan over Albert Belle...why worry about working out at all? Don't those little Japanese guys live longer than anyone else? Maybe the heart is more comfortable supporting less, or somesuch. Who knows. Again, that's my point. What is the ultimate goal of the program you support?

To me, it is sort of aesthetically pleasing--intellectually, I guess--to think about "useful" strength being gained by contextually appropriate activities. But, maybe that's the guy in me who likes to watch the lumberjacks in the Strong Man contests.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #31
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I'm not disagreeing with strength training specific to elite athletes in their respective sports. They can cut all the weeds and destroy the bottoms of swimming pools swinging bats all day long. They are way beyond linear progression. I'm saying that you and I can be more efficient and effectively train for strength just by using linear progression. That is not possible with a golf club, baseball bat, sledge hammer, and even dumbells.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 09-06-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #32
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm just not sure where you are coming from, that's all. If not muscle mass, what? Is it endurance? I don't know. Maybe you could make it a little more clear.

What I'm getting at is...if you are going for Nolan Ryan over Albert Belle...why worry about working out at all? Don't those little Japanese guys live longer than anyone else? Maybe the heart is more comfortable supporting less, or somesuch. Who knows. Again, that's my point. What is the ultimate goal of the program you support?

To me, it is sort of aesthetically pleasing--intellectually, I guess--to think about "useful" strength being gained by contextually appropriate activities. But, maybe that's the guy in me who likes to watch the lumberjacks in the Strong Man contests.
You're strong or you're not strong. You're athletic or you're not athletic. The rest is all fancy talk to hide the fact that you are weak in most every area except (fill in the blank)

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 09-06-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #33
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

There's nothing fancy about getting stronger. You lift a weight using as much of your body as possible. The next time you lift a little more. Most men never move past LP.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
I may not be very bright, but I have done enough research to know that EVERYTHING I was told or have thought up for myself when I was younger to around 34 years old is bullshit. Everything you are saying, I'm sorry, it's bullshit. It will get you nowhere. That means every coach I have ever had was absolutely clueless and as a result I never reached my athletic potential. I'm 37 years old now. I am in the best shape of my life and I have chosen vitality over vanity. Unfortunately, it's a little late for me now to become the athlete I wish I could be, but I have the knowledge to share with my children. They'll never ever ever do a curl. They'll never ever do a shrug. It's pointless...

I've got the results now to prove it. (lbs)

squat (below parallel<-that's redundant but another discussion) from 200x5x3 to 365x5x3
bench press from 185x5x3 to 250x5x3
OH Press from 95x5x3 to 165x5x3
Power Clean from 95x3x5 to 185x3x5
Dead Lift from 135x5x1 to 405x5x1

I'm not talking out of my ass. Even though my ass has gotten pretty big in this process.

Start by reading this jewel. (i think its 7 pages, so print it out) See where it takes you. I challenge you to wake up, old man.
You're so stupid it's absolutely beyond belief. I'm sorry, but muscle mass wasn't invented the first time someone decided to mix in a bench press.

Again, there's more than one way to get to where you want to go. It doesn't change the fact that you don't need traditional weights to add muscle mass. Hell, you can even find articles on it on bodybuilding.com talking about how to add muscle mass without lifting weights. It's very, very easy to find documented proof of people adding muscle mass without stepping foot in a gym or lifting a barbell. Only a narrow minded idiot would argue otherwise.

Can traditional weights be the quickest way to add mass? Sure, they probably can be.. probably are. However, just adding mass might not be my goal.

Last edited by Murphy3; 09-06-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

Cool thing that I added in that I never thought I'd be able to do.. handstand pushups. They're a work in progress, but able to knock out 3 sets of 5. I'm slowly building a nice group of exercises into my routine.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

If you're like me, well, I'm working on adding a little mass and particularly getting a stronger core. Plus, I'm looking for more functional strength. I know that traditional weights made me stronger, but ..seemed lacking. Obviously, I could have made subtle changes to my routine, but I decided to drastically change what I'm doing and I've never felt better. I can't say that I've never looked better. I'm not to where I was at when I was 18-19..but I do believe that I will pass that. Funny thing.. I timed myself in the 400m the other day, and I'm actually just about where I was at when I was in high school. Why would I do this? I was basically just a bit curious..my boss ran the 400m in college, so I wanted to see what I could run it in. I knew that I could run the 40 still in about 5.0-5.1 (raced my nephew this past spring ..he was a senior in high school at the time).

The cool thing about where I work is that we basically only hire ex-athletes. Half the company either played a college football, ran track in college, played minor league baseball, or was heavy into body building. I've just recently started bouncing ideas off of them. Some are heavy into weights, but there's a couple of us that are going different routes.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #37
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

If only I could go back in time I could throw a football over them mountains.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #38
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Uncle Rico?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
If only I could go back in time I could throw a football over them mountains.
I really don't understand what your deal is. It's fine for you to disagree. I really don't care what your opinion is. You've proven that you're narrow minded and ignorant.

Last edited by Murphy3; 09-06-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

Good workout this morning... About 200-250 swings with the sledgehammer.. 50 minute run with first 20 minutes using a medicine ball.. next 20 minutes, mixed it up with job/sprint combo. Last 10..cool down.

Tags
spamalicious