Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #41
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

An article on barbells are the most effective for gaining strength.

http://startingstrength.com/articles...tness_wolf.pdf
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #42
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

congrats to your little article
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #43
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

About to order this bad boy.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...64#showReviews
Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #44
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
congrats to your little article
Did you read the article?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Did you?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #46
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Of course not.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #47
Murphy3
Guru

Do you have a point?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #48
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Ha! Not that you will understand. You can continue to dismiss any of my informed knowledge and I will continue to educate the masses. Go swing your little sledgehammer lonely man.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #49
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Press Instruction Video.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

I'm really not that lonely. And yes, I'll continue to swing a sledgehammer as part of my workout.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #51
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

cool...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #52
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

WOW...take the temperature down some, big guys. At this rate, someone is going to get killed.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #53
Murphy3
Guru

Well, obviously, I know that the workout that I do is not 100% the best workout ever created in the history of mankind. I never claimed that it was. It works for me. It's something that I enjoy doing. I get the results that I want and expect. Could I do something different that might take less time to accomplish my goals? Sure, probably so.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #54
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

More good stuff from Rippetoe... (The title and pictures are placed by T-Nation,the article is by Rip)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ning_is_a_sham
Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #55
mattm1124

mattm1124 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to make a new thread but it won't let me. Is that because this is my first post? I was wondering if anyone knows the what that sound effect is called they play after a made free throw in Dallas? Thanks!
mattm1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
More good stuff from Rippetoe... (The title and pictures are placed by T-Nation,the article is by Rip)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ning_is_a_sham
It's entirely too long of an article. Could you shorten it down to 1 or 2 sentences and get back with me?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #57
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I know... Entirely to many letters form way to many words at one time... Overwhelming. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #58
Murphy3
Guru

Well, I've just grown bored from reading the blogs and online articles that you post from various meatheads.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #59
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Why the hell did you start a thread asking for ideas and what other people did? Could it be this was really all about what you were doing?

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 12-24-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #60
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Awesome! Would read again.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #61
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I tried a standing overhead press today, just to try it out (no weight on the bar), and it was pretty uncomfortable. Not, like discomforting, I just felt no rhythm in doing it like I've developed with, say, the squat (for which I've really gotten the form down, I think). Maybe I'll do it in lieu of the bench press once a week, but it felt pretty awkward.

I think I'd like to go get my body fat tested at a BODPOD place. I should have done so a year ago before I started doing any weight-lifting so I could see my progress. (Since I started losing weight in July 2011 I should have kept pictorial records, but alas, too late now.) This new year would make it a year that I've kept the weight off. I got to a low of 152.8 lb, but that was shortly before I started working out (and therefore had laughably little lean mass). 163 is as high as I got, but I'm at about 158 right now. So long as I can keep it under 160 I don't have anything to worry about.

EDIT: Also, I had to scrap triceps dips from my routine, which sucks, but I was having nerve trouble in my right hand. Whenever I put pressure on it that way, my whole hand starts to tingle then goes numb. Not good at all, so I had to start using doing bench presses. The OH press was just a trial for maybe an occasional substitute for it.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 01-06-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #62
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
I tried a standing overhead press today, just to try it out (no weight on the bar), and it was pretty uncomfortable. Not, like discomforting, I just felt no rhythm in doing it like I've developed with, say, the squat (for which I've really gotten the form down, I think). Maybe I'll do it in lieu of the bench press once a week, but it felt pretty awkward.

I think I'd like to go get my body fat tested at a BODPOD place. I should have done so a year ago before I started doing any weight-lifting so I could see my progress. (Since I started losing weight in July 2011 I should have kept pictorial records, but alas, too late now.) This new year would make it a year that I've kept the weight off. I got to a low of 152.8 lb, but that was shortly before I started working out (and therefore had laughably little lean mass). 163 is as high as I got, but I'm at about 158 right now. So long as I can keep it under 160 I don't have anything to worry about.

EDIT: Also, I had to scrap triceps dips from my routine, which sucks, but I was having nerve trouble in my right hand. Whenever I put pressure on it that way, my whole hand starts to tingle then goes numb. Not good at all, so I had to start using doing bench presses. The OH press was just a trial for maybe an occasional substitute for it.
I felt the same way when I first learned that lift. It is literally the hardest lift to take advantage of linear progression. I just couldn't seem to add the weight each time like I could the other lifts and pulls... I have not incorporated Rip's new approach that I posted above to get more body mass into the lift. Props to you for incorporating the lift.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #63
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Here you go Murphy...just for a change of pace to get that functional strength...

Workout
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #64
Murphy3
Guru

My workouts are suffering at the moment. I've been pitching in a wooden bat baseball league for awhile now.. Well, I now have a significant tear in my rotator cuff.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #65
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

THAT sucks assholes..
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #66
Murphy3
Guru

I've done alot of nothing with it for a couple of months..well, for the last month. Prior to that, I was still working out but trying not to do anything that irritated it. I quickly found out that just about everything ended up irritating it in some capacity. For the last month, I haven't done much of anything. It feels better, but I'll have to go back to the doc to see if there's any improvement. If not, I'll be going under the knife.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #67
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've done alot of nothing with it for a couple of months..well, for the last month. Prior to that, I was still working out but trying not to do anything that irritated it. I quickly found out that just about everything ended up irritating it in some capacity. For the last month, I haven't done much of anything. It feels better, but I'll have to go back to the doc to see if there's any improvement. If not, I'll be going under the knife.
you get that surgery or what? i had labrum repair surgery in 2010. shoulder surgery sucks balls.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #68
Murphy3
Guru

Actually, no. I finally started to see some return in strength a month back or so. I still have the pain with certain movements.... But I am trying to avoid surgery. My boss played pro baseball... Well. he talked me out of it... He's had a few shoulder surgeries and wasn't a big fan
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #69
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually, no. I finally started to see some return in strength a month back or so. I still have the pain with certain movements.... But I am trying to avoid surgery. My boss played pro baseball... Well. he talked me out of it... He's had a few shoulder surgeries and wasn't a big fan
probably for the best. My Dr told me my shoulder surgery recovery was 18 months. Sure enough, i started to see and feel a lot better right around 18 months post surgery. No joke.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #70
Murphy3
Guru

It's amazing what I can and can't do with this injury. Sometimes, I would kinda forget that it was even injured... Other times, I'd start to think that the injury was leading to overuse and issues with my elbow. I almost dropped a kid because I threw him up over my head. Well, what comes up must come down.. the coming down part was extremely painful on my arm..almost painful for the kids head.

Tags
spamalicious