Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You're looking at the numbers backwards... What difference does it make if 45 are men and 5 are women if all 50 are poor?

If I'm mugging you in the park, it's not because of my gender or race - it's because I don't have any money...

(is that so difficult to understand?)
so your explanation for why there is such a disparity between men and women is to wave your hand and say, "it does not matter?" There is something very hard to understand there.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
so your explanation for why there is such a disparity between men and women is to wave your hand and say, "it does not matter?" There is something very hard to understand there.
I wasn't trying to explain the disparity of crime between men & women - I was pointing out that the MOTIVATION for crime does not stem from race/gender...

(you & I are not having the same conversation here...)

Also, you do realize you're taking a sample of 50 criminals from Dallas and applying those statistics to society as a whole, right?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-11-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wasn't trying to explain the disparity of crime between men & women - I was pointing out that the MOTIVATION for crime does not stem from race/gender...
I know. You say it stems from not having enough stuff.
But, then why are there more males than females?

Quote:
Also, you do realize you're taking a sample of 50 criminals from Dallas and applying those statistics to society as a whole, right?
no I'm not. I'd be happy if you just explained why there are 45 men and 5 women on this list.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd be happy if you just explained why there are 45 men and 5 women on this list.
Gee, I dunno - maybe because women are busy raising kids?

Besides, we're talking about a very small geographical & date-sensitive sample - 5 years ago in Houston, the numbers could have just as easily have been 30 men to 20 women...

Basing a reality around such a small statistical sample is like looking outside right now and claiming that Dallas is generally a rainy city...

Last edited by Underdog; 06-11-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Gee, I dunno - maybe because women are busy raising kids?
there's an explanation.

Quote:
Besides, we're talking about a very small geographical & date-sensitive sample - 5 years ago in Houston, the numbers could have just as easily have been 30 men to 20 women...

Basing a reality around such a small statistical sample is like looking outside right now and claiming that Dallas is generally a rainy city...
not really.
"Gender is the single best predictor of criminal behavior: men commit more crime, and women commit less. This distinction holds throughout history, for all societies, for all groups, and for nearly every crime category. The universality of this fact is really quite remarkable, even though many tend to take it for granted.
Read more: http://law.jrank.org/pages/1256/Gender-Crime.html#ixzz0I9O1KHSp&C"
http://law.jrank.org/pages/1256/Gender-Crime.html
Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Underdog

Quote:
"Gender is the single best predictor of criminal behavior: men commit more crime, and women commit less. This distinction holds throughout history, for all societies, for all groups, and for nearly every crime category. The universality of this fact is really quite remarkable, even though many tend to take it for granted.
Read more: http://law.jrank.org/pages/1256/Gender-Crime.html#ixzz0I9O1KHSp&C"
http://law.jrank.org/pages/1256/Gender-Crime.html
Isn't there already a poster on this board named "Captain Obvious"?

Just because men commit more crimes doesn't mean they're motivated to commit those crimes simply because they're male - if that were the case, then there would be the same percentage of white men & black men (or rich men & poor men) in prison... Having a penis isn't why people are motivated to commit crimes (which is what you're flimsily implying...)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-11-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Isn't there already a poster on this board named "Captain Obvious"?

Just because men commit more crimes doesn't mean they're motivated to commit those crimes simply because they're male - if that were the case, then there would be the same percentage of white men & black men (or rich men & poor men) in prison... Having a penis isn't why people are motivated to commit crimes (which is what you're flimsily implying...)
I didn't imply it. I asked you to explain it. To that end, "The women are busy raising babies" was better than "people commit crimes because they don't have stuff"
Old 06-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'd be happy if you just explained why there are 45 men and 5 women on this list.
from the discussions that I have had with a relative who is an academic active in researching male/female adolescents, it is in the gender development/reinforcement one goes thru as a child.

the female and male are treated differently in their early formative years and due to those stereotype roles set in place the manner in which they act in later years is pretty much set.

iow girls don't act the same as boys, girls are programmed at an early age to be less aggressive and that is why girls are less likely to make the decision to act as predators/criminals.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluff on fluff crime, fluff the tragic dragon, fluffy banter, up in the deeper tissue