Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #41
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had to work with the league on licensing the photos. That's going to cost a pretty penny and change my dream scenario just a bit. I'm hoping it'll be out by the end of Feb.

That was pretty much the last step before the real nuts and bolts of the book could be worked on.
I'm sure the lockout didn't help you any since you couldn't do anything relating with the NBA personnel either.......
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #42
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, what's wrong with it? It's okay (IMO) but I wish he would have dove more into the personal side of the players..... so far the bright spot to me (and I'm about a 1/3 through it) was the anecdote about Brian Cardinal and the 16th win.....

that is what the book should have been more about (IMO)... stuff like that.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #43
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Why has it been tough going?
I just don't think it's been very interesting so far. I'm not sure what his angle is, he's not a hardcore NBA guy so he doesn't have any particular insight that I find interesting, and he doesn't have any sort of insider anecdotes. Dunno, seems like a book for very fringy Mavs fans.

Admittedly I'm not very far into it, maybe it gets better.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-10-2012 at 11:33 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #44
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
I'm sure the lockout didn't help you any since you couldn't do anything relating with the NBA personnel either.......
I couldn't interact with players, but I could with personnel. The problem was they really wouldn't sign off on anything during the lockout. Once the lockout was over, the hustle and bustle began and then a massive game of phone and email tag began.

I'm still working on the logistics/finances for the photos, it'll require some cutting down on images (unfortunately), but it won't take away from the actual manuscript.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I just don't think it's been very interesting so far. I'm not sure what his angle is, he's not a hardcore NBA guy so he doesn't have any particular insight that I find interesting, and he doesn't have any sort of insider anecdotes. Dunno, seems like a book for very fringy Mavs fans.

Admittedly I'm not very far into it, maybe it gets better.
Everyone will like the ending, obviously lol.

Mine is just a journal of the season. It has my obvious writing style in the fold with recapping things, but it also covers what it was like being there in the moment. It talks about highlights for me, stuff that you'd never really think would happen as a media member and stuff like that. I think it'll cover some of what's been wanted (hearing random stories about players or funny interactions). The fact that this has dragged on has sort of allowed me to add more along the way, the banner, Obama (maybe the ring). I will say his book has stuff that mine does, but mine has stuff that is missing in his. If you have both, you'll be set.

The word I've gotten is that the hardcore fan will love the book. It's only been fully read by two people and they loved it.

My brain trust for it has read bits and pieces, but they loved that as well...so I'm hoping it doesn't fall flat on its questionable face.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 01-10-2012 at 11:42 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #45
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mine is just a journal of the season. It has my obvious writing style in the fold with recapping things, but it also covers what it was like being there in the moment. It talks about highlights for me, stuff that you'd never really think would happen as a media member and stuff like that. I think it'll cover some of what's been wanted (hearing random stories about players or funny interactions). The fact that this has dragged on has sort of allowed me to add more along the way, the banner, Obama (maybe the ring). I will say his book has stuff that mine does, but mine has stuff that is missing in his. If you have both, you'll be set.

The word I've gotten is that the hardcore fan will love the book. It's only been fully read by two people and they loved it.

My brain trust for it has read bits and pieces, but they loved that as well...so I'm hoping it doesn't fall flat on its questionable face.
I'm very excited to read your book. You have an obvious, unique angle, and you had insider access and a much closer view of the run.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #46
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

After reading roughly half of Sturm's book, I have to admit that I'm of the same opinion as thig. The thing is that this isn't a book by some guy in the next cubicle so I hold the book to a pretty high standard. However Sturm pretty much gives you the same simplistic narratives that you hear from your generic sports journalists. I'd say that throughout the first half of the book the only thing of real value was the game recaps as it jogged my memory on various parts of the season that had gotten a touch hazy.

When you read his blog about breaking down the Cowboys games, you know he's capable of more, but this is just the wrong sport for him.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #47
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

dirk +42 lol
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #48
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm very excited to read your book. You have an obvious, unique angle, and you had insider access and a much closer view of the run.
It does have a very standard recap-ish form to it, but it does have variance to it. The personal story/angle is really what separates this from his book.

I strongly dislike the fact this process has taken as long as it has, but there really isn't much I can do about it.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #49
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm developing a serious man crush on Delonte West. I love watching him play.
Yeah, nice to see him stay out of foul trouble for a change - I was a tad worried about that with Kidd out...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #50
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It does have a very standard recap-ish form to it, but it does have variance to it. The personal story/angle is really what separates this from his book.

I strongly dislike the fact this process has taken as long as it has, but there really isn't much I can do about it.
You are going to sell it in ebook format, no?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #51
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
You are going to sell it in ebook format, no?
That could happen, but I'm just sticking to the traditional soft-back format for now. I know that things are changing with the way books are being sold and everything, but I still wanted to have something like a personal trophy for me.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #52
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
I figured the Mavs would at least let Yi get a shot. But none of them would pass him the ball.
Not true. There was at least one sequence in garbage time where Roddy made it a point to get Yi the ball at the elbow... and Yi was completely wide open. And instead of shooting he just sort of stood there pivoting around in a panic, until he found someone else to give the ball too
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #53
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

How brutal must it be to play in Detroit by the way? Did you guys see how completely empty the Palace was? There couldn't have been more than 3000 people there.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #54
sbibi

sbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
My takeaways from this game:

1. Delonte West has good handles

2. Dirk's jumpshot is silky smooth

3. Brandon Wright is beast

4. The Pistons suck balls
This.
sbibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #55
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Not to take anything away from Delonte, but I have been amazed at Jason Terry's short stints at point guard these last few games...He is much better at handling and passing the ball than I remembered him to be when he first came to Dallas, right after Nash left. He threw some beauty assists to Wright and Ian last night...

Tonight's game against Boston will be interesting in terms of guard play. They are one of the better defending teams of the NBA. If we get into a perimeter game because of lack of penetration....I hope we do better than we did against San Antonio...

Point Guard play performance this season - best to worst:

1.Delonte West
2.Jason Terry
3.Jason Kidd
4.D. Jones
5.Roddy (unless he starts improving over the next 10 games, I see him quickly becoming trade bait...for a second rounder)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #56
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

One other comment about last night's game....Congrats Dallas for finally blowing out a bad team...throughout the whole game!!! It's hard to remain focused, and to put out a lot of effort when playing a bad team.

Even through last years championship season, it seemed like Dallas struggled against bad teams, and sometimes lost..It seemed rare where we could rest our starters, or where Carlisle had to take a time out with three minutes remaining in game to put the starters back in, because the bench couldn't prevent a run from the opposing team...
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #57
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
For sure, but don't look at the +/- sheet for them tonight, because the insanity of the above lineup pushed everybody else into negative territory

DoJo was aggressive as always, but he needs that J to go down (didn't attempt any tonight). Otherwise he'll continue to look good in garbage time, but remains useless.

Thought Roddy was a tad more comfortable running the point at times in the second half, but really no big leaps there.

Wright was awesome, so was Mahinmi & Haywood. That's a huge and talented pool of bigs we can choose from on any given night.
I thought dojo really played poorly. Not only from a production pov but he seemed to go into pad my stats mode to impress someone watching, much like summer ball. It might be personally warranted because he has to see the handwriting on the wall, but still disappointing. He may not be long for this nba world.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #58
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And here I thought it would be the Dirk dunk. The funny thing about his dunk... he didn't even really jump. And then did the motorcycle!
Dirk isn't going to talk about it but that was a pathetic jump. Either he mis-timed it or that knee is bothering him more than he'll ever let on.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #59
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched it, good game overall. Started with Haywood early on and continued. Man, Mahinmi is playing great so far!

The dunk was sick...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #60
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maringa View Post
Not to take anything away from Delonte, but I have been amazed at Jason Terry's short stints at point guard these last few games...He is much better at handling and passing the ball than I remembered him to be when he first came to Dallas, right after Nash left. He threw some beauty assists to Wright and Ian last night...
I agree 100%
He's been playing the point guard role in the pick and roll very well. And it's been more than just the two-man game with Dirk on the right side of the floor that has been the staple of our team for the last five years; he's been running top of the key stuff with all of the bigs and Marion. Maybe a player CAN expand his game 10+ years in =)

IF (this is turning into a bigger if as each day passes) Lamar Odom can play somewhat up to his capabilities, we have a ton of great pick and roll players. This will create a lot of mismatches all over the floor which is vital in a best-of-seven format.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #61
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Dirk isn't going to talk about it but that was a pathetic jump. Either he mis-timed it or that knee is bothering him more than he'll ever let on.
At the pre-draft workouts in 1998, Dirk's measured vertical was 24-27in . We should be thankful that he can still jump after 14 years.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #62
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Dirk with Crank It Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ta0J...layer_embedded
Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #63
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamon View Post
That is Dirk gold.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #64
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamon View Post
OMG! Deamon made a meaningful contribution.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #65
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
At the pre-draft workouts in 1998, Dirk's measured vertical was 24-27in . We should be thankful that he can still jump after 14 years.
Dirk had a lot of powerful dunks in the playoffs last year, the two against Ibaka, the one in Game 5 in the Finals where we took the lead for good. He also got a nice jump on the layup to win Game 2 in the Finals.

I think his legs are just weak right now, he needs to hit the gym hard during the season.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #66
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
On the replay, it looked to me like he was shocked that there was zero help defense in the lane and he was anticipating contact and maybe looking for a layup and-1. He made the move so fast that he didn't have much time to elevate. He's not usually known for destroying the rim, but I thought he hammered it down pretty well under the circumstances.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #67
Cerberus

Cerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It says Dirk was 9-10 and no 3 point attempts. But I swear he shot a 3 pointer in the 3rd (or 4th?) quarter from the right side of the floor from a pass from Roddy.
Just watched the replay and you're right he did attempt a three in the 3Q. I also checked the play-by-play on the espn boxscore and they somehow gave it to Vince Carter. Weird.

Code:
6:20	  Vince Carter misses 26-foot three point jumper	66-40	 
6:20                                                                          66-40     Jonas Jerebko defensive rebound