Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #41
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Statistical notes:

- Mavs now rank 4th in DefEff (96.94), 1st in Opp. Points in Paint (55.62 pp100), 4th in Opp Shot Distance (13.40ft), 1st in DRB% (76.84%)
This is beautiful; however, I'm not getting too excited yet. It looks like the Mavs have played a disproportionate number of teams under .500...looks to be highest in nba. This could be a good thing long term, but I think it is a data point to keep in mind.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #42
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I'll be glad when they can dismantle the Spurs/Heat/Clippers/OKC like they did the Kings. Until then, there is work to do!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #43
newjersey5

newjersey5 is on a distinguished road

What up all?! VC is a straight beast! I can't wait till the Mavs win their 2nd title. That man deserves a ring!
newjersey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #44
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjersey5 View Post
What up all?! VC is a straight beast! I can't wait till the Mavs win their 2nd title. That man deserves a ring!
THIS

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #45
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOC View Post
Now basketball genius John Hollinger is going to say something about our point differential ...
We've soared all the way to 8th in Hollinger's Power Rankings thanks to our +9.50 point differential in the Last 10 games.

I think the most impressive thing right now is that the defense seems to be coming together. We are 3rd in Def Rtg after being about 20th a few weeks ago. I figured at the time that some of the reason for our poor Def Rtg was due to our schedule being front-loaded with great offensive teams and our Def Rtg would improve with the recent stretch of offensive lightweights we've been playing, but I'm still a little shocked to see us sitting all the way in 3rd. I think it's a sign that people are starting to get in shape and figure out where they are supposed to be in this scheme.

I'm also wondering if our massive depth is finally starting to play to our advantage. I think this crazy schedule is something that teams could withstand for a few weeks, but I think it's going to really grind on players' bodies the further we get into the season. The fact that this team can go 10 deep and not really have to play anyone more than 30 minutes a night (Dirk is the only one averaging more and it's only by a hair) could be huge for us.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #46
Romus

Romus is infamous around these partsRomus is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
I'll be glad when they can dismantle the Spurs/Heat/Clippers/OKC like they did the Kings. Until then, there is work to do!
OKC already DONE and LA it will happen !!!
Romus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #47
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar View Post
This is beautiful; however, I'm not getting too excited yet. It looks like the Mavs have played a disproportionate number of teams under .500...looks to be highest in nba. This could be a good thing long term, but I think it is a data point to keep in mind.
Our opponents' winning percentage right now is 49.3%, which is 19th in the league. Our schedule has been overall been favorable thanks to the latest stretch of games, but don't forget that we started our season with a few tough matchups (Heat, OKC x 2, Denver, and SA). So the defensive numbers may be slightly deceptive, but I still think this outfit is turning into a pretty good defensive team.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 01-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #48
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

The Mavs currently have 1 player in top 100 of MPG here is how it compares to rest of the contenders.

1. LAC: 5
T1. ORL: 5
3. Por: 4
T3. MIA: 4
T3. IND: 4
6. OKC: 3
T6. LAL: 3
T6. CHI: 3
T9. DEN: 2
T9. SA:2
T9. PHI: 2
12. Dal: 1

I consider contenders anyone that i think has chance to make ECF: As long as orlando has dwight they have a chance, don't consider atl or utah contenders
Old 01-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #49
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I'm also wondering if our massive depth is finally starting to play to our advantage. I think this crazy schedule is something that teams could withstand for a few weeks, but I think it's going to really grind on players' bodies the further we get into the season. The fact that this team can go 10 deep and not really have to play anyone more than 30 minutes a night (Dirk is the only one averaging more and it's only by a hair) could be huge for us.
It's going to be even more of an advantage compared to last season, simply for the fact that the bench is more versatile and it's got more legitimate of a punch.

Dirk is averaging less minutes and he's doing less with them. That sounds bad, but it really isn't. He doesn't have to grind, take extra shots, extra hits and etc. It's almost like he's getting live, intense practice sessions right now and he can work on different things or just get some shots up. In the big picture, he'll know when to crank it up and he'll be fine. The fact that they have enough bodies to allow him to keep things relatively easy is a huge, huge bonus for this squad in the long run.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #50
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Okay BG, one question I would love for you to ask Carlisle at some point would be why the Mavs' defensive and offensive rebounding are such polar opposites this season? The Mavs' are 1st in the league in Defensive Rebounding % and 3rd to last in Offensive Rebounding %. You would think that there would be a pretty decent correlation between the two, and yet here we see them at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. This leads me to believe that there's probably a schematic reason for the lack of offensive rebounding, and I'd be curious if Carlisle would give an answer on what that is.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 01-15-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #51
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Okay BG, one question I would love for you to ask Carlisle at some point would be why the Mavs' defensive and offensive rebounding are such polar opposites this season? The Mavs' are 1st in the league in Defensive Rebounding % and 3rd to last in Offensive Rebounding %. You would think that there would be a pretty decent correlation between the two, and yet here we see them at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. This leads me to believe that there's probably a schematic reason for the lack of offensive rebounding, and I'd be curious if Carlisle would give an answer on what that is.
Easy answer. Transition defense.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #52
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I remember in years past the Celtics were the same way.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #53
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Very true. So far this season, the first team to catch a quick lead usually ends up winning. That's why it's wonderful to see Vince Carter beasting like he is - he's really embraced the "quick start" role much better than Caron Butler or Josh Howard ever did... And I'm pretty darn sure that Carlisle and Cuban knew that quick leads would weigh heavier in a shortened season when they signed him, so we should probably chalk this up as another brilliant move by the front office.
Howard was one of the top first quarter scorers in the league for a couple years. Problem is, second half contributions of any kind were rare.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #54
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I disagree: I think defensive rebounding is more about technique and fundamentals, while offensive reboundings is more about athletisism and hustle.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #55
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs style of offense isn't also very conducive to offensive rebounding percentages as our 4 plays a little further from the paint than normal. We also are a heavy 3 point shooting team which contributes to longer rebounds - which are less predictable than short ones.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote