Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
For a guy with declining numbers every year and likely having to amnesty Haywood to create space for him, Kaman is not a guy I'd waste the amnesty on. Would I take low risk, low dollar flyer on him? Hell yes, but people are infatuated with what he was 3 seasons ago and not with what he is now. Also, blowing any substantive amount of cap space on Dragic is monumentally stupid and exactly what caused Detroit to blow big money on Villaneua and Gordon. Its going to take more money to sign them than what they've actually produced over the course of their careers.
We don't need a low-post scoring center. I was wrong in my quest for al Jefferson. Dirk is our low post scorer. We need a defensive guy who cannot be left alone because he has decent hands and preferably plays above the rim. Someone that ibaka for example cannot completely ignore while he waits in the paint on dirk.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
We don't need a low-post scoring center. I was wrong in my quest for al Jefferson. Dirk is our low post scorer. We need a defensive guy who cannot be left alone because he has decent hands and preferably plays above the rim. Someone that ibaka for example cannot completely ignore while he waits in the paint on dirk.
Kaman's not a good defender anymore.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Kaman's was never a good defender.
fixed
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
If the cost of that kind of option is $8-$9M who is limited defensively, then count me out. Kaman is not good defensively on the pick and roll and for a big man really isn't that strong around the basket. I just think the dude is horribly overrated here.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
If the cost of that kind of option is $8-$9M who is limited defensively, then count me out. Kaman is not good defensively on the pick and roll and for a big man really isn't that strong around the basket. I just think the dude is horribly overrated here.
I agree completely... I think it is painfully obvious that most nba teams need a solid center, the Mavs need one that also is pretty mobile to help him out defensively. But he can't e a complete failure around the rim at least offensively. If he can hit a ft shot then oh baby, the dirkster is posting up all night long.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 05-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Why do people keep mentioning Detroit as if that is the prime example on why it might be smart to keep the power dry? Those contracts were monumentally stupid to players who probably weren't worth half of what they were paid. Splitting Deron's offer with players like Dragic or Kaman would NOT in any way be the same as giving contracts to Gordon or Villanueva. Apples and oranges if you ask me.
MBT has been cleaning cap space for a difference maker, 2 to boot. They're going with the Big 3 model. Dragic nor Kaman are difference makers. You're looking at 8 million per year for each, and nothing less than 4 years. With this type of contract, they become harder to trade, when Howard does become available. You get a Nash and KG at the same rate on 2 year deals, it's an easier pill to swallow for say Orlando. Dragic would be a nice piece if we had say Joe Johnson or Iguodala, another big chip next to Dirk. But you make Dragic that 2nd option.....it's really not the way to go when you have that flexibility. If you bring in Kaman and Dragic you won't have much space to do anything outside of draft picks.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Given that he's restricted, it will all depend on Portland any ways. Plus teams just dont like tying up cap space on something that's not a done deal, while other FA's are flying off the board in the interim.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Given that he's restricted, it will all depend on Portland any ways. Plus teams just dont like tying up cap space on something that's not a done deal, while other FA's are flying off the board in the interim.
Dallas has shown a knack for chasing those RFA tho. One positive with the CBA now is the waiting game has been reduced now. Teams had seven days to match an offer. The CBA changed it to where it is now only three days.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Post your quote from Rick about making Dirk the second-best player, BG. Loved that.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Post your quote from Rick about making Dirk the second-best player, BG. Loved that.
He talked on GAC about how the staff will take a painstaking look at their roster and the rest of the league in terms of how they can really infuse the roster with talent.

One of the goals: "We’re going to do the best that we can to make [Dirk] our second best player…it’s a very exciting time for the franchise."

Just like the exit interview, he took an extremely optimistic approach to this summer. He's got a ton of faith in Mark and Donnie in making things work. The vibe I got from the interview resembled the comment Dirk made during his exit interview when Dirk said that Carlisle is basically a preparation freak. Carlisle said there are no vacations planned during this summer, all work time.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
"We’re going to do the best that we can to make [Dirk] our second best player…it’s a very exciting time for the franchise."
lol@Rick

Does he want to sign Lebron ?

They better find some guys who can be a true 2nd and 3rd best option...should be hard enough.

Last edited by markus1234; 05-15-2012 at 06:21 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I like his thinking but looking out there, there isnt a single FA out there that I'd trade Dirk for (which I think is the true measure of whether or not a player is better than Dirk)

there are some stars and superstars out there for sure and its exciting but it irks me that Carlisle thinks there are players better than Dirk as much as it excites me that he is talking roster moves that big. He's not talking trading Diop for Hollins and Carroll.

We're talking about the third dynasty of the Cuban years ( after Nash/Finley/Dirk and Kidd/Terry/Dirk). Will it happen? Probably not but I like that they are thinking (and talking) big

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-15-2012 at 07:08 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I like his thinking but looking out there, there isnt a single FA out there that I'd trade Dirk for (which I think is the true measure of whether or not a player is better than Dirk)

there are some stars and superstars out there for sure and its exciting but it irks me that Carlisle thinks there are players better than Dirk as much as it excites me that he is talking roster moves that big. He's not talking trading Diop for Hollins and Carroll.

We're talking about the third dynasty of the Cuban years ( after Nash/Finley/Dirk and Kidd/Terry/Dirk). Will it happen? Probably not but I like that they are thinking (and talking) big
Agreed, also think RC's probably not limiting themselves to the FA market, with the cap space they can also make trades.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Agreed, also think RC's probably not limiting themselves to the FA market, with the cap space they can also make trades.
That's the point I've always made when people freak out about maybe swinging and missing in free agency. The front office figured out how to build their team while being in cap hell. By getting under the cap, they could absorb junk to acquire a good player or stud.

Carlisle also referenced on multiple occasions that they view Odom's contract as a solid asset in the trade market.

Carlisle has been nothing but upbeat and very optimistic in how the front office will attack this summer.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
That's the point I've always made when people freak out about maybe swinging and missing in free agency. The front office figured out how to build their team while being in cap hell. By getting under the cap, they could absorb junk to acquire a good player or stud.

Carlisle also referenced on multiple occasions that they view Odom's contract as a solid asset in the trade market.

Carlisle has been nothing but upbeat and very optimistic in how the front office will attack this summer.
Baron Davis went to Cleveland, along with an LAC lottery pick....resulting in Irving and Thompson. Yea, Odom's contract is like Stackhouse's where 2.4 is unguaranteed, but the cap number is 9 million.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

DWill visiting the gang in Russia doesn't make me feel cozy. Apparently AK is showing them the sights.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
DWill visiting the gang in Russia doesn't make me feel cozy. Apparently AK is showing them the sights.
He's probably taking the opportunity of having a free trip to Russia while he can.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #18
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
He's probably taking the opportunity of having a free trip to Russia while he can.
i was thinking the same thing haha.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
No worries it's only May 16, he can't stay in Russia until July 11....could he?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No worries it's only May 16, he can't stay in Russia until July 11....could he?
If he gets to stay at Prokhorov's place, then I certainly would...

http://sharequotes.us/wp-content/upl...orov-House.jpg

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

I imagine rick is talking future. In two years there will probably be quite a few.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Stefan Bondy says D-Will is "looking for reasons to stay" in Brooklyn.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/net...deron-williams

Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That actually sounds strangely optimistic for us. If you have to try to find reasons at this point, then the Nets have to pull a rabbit out of their hat. They might, but it just seems so hard to envision Billy King doing all of the right moves to make that happen.

I really don't think he is going to make up his mind until he has to. The rumor winds will blow in all directions before all of this is over.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That actually sounds strangely optimistic for us. If you have to try to find reasons at this point, then the Nets have to pull a rabbit out of their hat. They might, but it just seems so hard to envision Billy King doing all of the right moves to make that happen.

I really don't think he is going to make up his mind until he has to. The rumor winds will blow in all directions before all of this is over.
Agreed, I don't think he has completley made up his mind yet either way, it will probably matter if nets can get something significant in draft day.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #25
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I love how they talk about the Mavs getting swept in the 1st round like it's a bad thing when the Nets are in a position where getting swept in the 1st round would have been the best season they've had in years...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-16-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #26
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I love how they talk about the Mavs getting swept in the 1st round like it's a bad thing when the Nets are in a position where getting swept in the 1st round would have been the best season they've had in years...
Cracks me up too. I love hearing about how much "brighter" the Nets' future is. Perception is reality, I guess.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #27
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Hoopsworld lists us as amongst the 5 teams interested in Lin:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-wil...n-jeremy-lin-2
Old 05-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #28
mavs777
Diamond Member

The last 5 years the nets are 116-268 (30.2 win %)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #29
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
This should be the top of the Mavs pitch. If Deron is about winning, then staying a Net doesn't seem to make much sense.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #30
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Mavs are 249-145 (.632%)
So there's that...
Old 05-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

As of this moment, I've never been more convinced that Deron is re-signing with the Nets.

Someone convince me otherwise. Please.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #32
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
As of this moment, I've never been more convinced that Deron is re-signing with the Nets.

Mavs front office. I mean seriously they traded a lottery pick for Gerald Wallace.
More stable organization. Deron has said he wants to settle down.
Family is here. Shopping in NY and all that is fun but taking the kids to moms is where it's at.
Dirk & Deron& D leaguers > nets

Last edited by oilfieldtrash; 05-19-2012 at 02:31 PM.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:

Could be entirely likely, especially if the Nets make a move over the offseason to get Dwight (which I think is more than a 50/50 shot).

But again, it's not worth wasting time in fretting over it until it gets closer to decision time.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #34
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

We have to dodge the lottery balls bullets and any potential more Dwight drama.

There was a report that the Magic want to push Dwight to sign an extension during the summer (probably really early in the FA).

So if they lose their pick and the Magic dont do something stupid...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #35
LonghornDub

If they get to keep their top-3 pick, I think Deron probably stays up there (because they should be able to trade it for either Dwight or someone else great). If they have to send it to Portland because it's 4 or worse, I think he probably bails.

I heard the draft lottery is May 30 or around there, so that's the big night.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #36
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I think it has to go beyond just a lotto pick. DWill is getting a sense of Dwight in 2013 as well as the Brooklyn's vs. Dallas' standing as a franchise beyond Dirk.

If he gets the sense the Nets can secure Dwight in 2013, that goes much further than a lotto pick.

If he gets the sense the Mavericks' best advantages as a franchise are state taxes and proximity to family, that brand new stadium, 30 extra million and entry into the biggest market in the US looks much more lucrative. Playoff history and a championship from a year ago is nice but that championship team will be mostly dismantled by the time he is ready to sign.

I also believe there is an owner vs owner showdown. Cuban needs to bring it in terms of presentation, money and painting a future. History shows Cuban to be a top notch owner and that should be an edge for Dallas but Prokhorov is dining the hell out of him and would have to be at the top of the list of owners with potential. DWill or not, I would not want to bet against Prokhorov long-term.

Lastly, Dallas may feel like the comfortable choice. Winning history, established FO, HOF in place as cast. NY must feel like the ambitious choice though. DWill would be the #1 face for that franchise for years and -if- they become winners, his legacy would be secured.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #37
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
I think it has to go beyond just a lotto pick. DWill is getting a sense of Dwight in 2013 as well as the Brooklyn's vs. Dallas' standing as a franchise beyond Dirk.

If he gets the sense the Nets can secure Dwight in 2013, that goes much further than a lotto pick.

If he gets the sense the Mavericks' best advantages as a franchise are state taxes and proximity to family, that brand new stadium, 30 extra million and entry into the biggest market in the US looks much more lucrative. Playoff history and a championship from a year ago is nice but that championship team will be mostly dismantled by the time he is ready to sign.

I also believe there is an owner vs owner showdown. Cuban needs to bring it in terms of presentation, money and painting a future. History shows Cuban to be a top notch owner and that should be an edge for Dallas but Prokhorov is dining the hell out of him and would have to be at the top of the list of owners with potential. DWill or not, I would not want to bet against Prokhorov long-term.

Lastly, Dallas may feel like the comfortable choice. Winning history, established FO, HOF in place as cast. NY must feel like the ambitious choice though. DWill would be the #1 face for that franchise for years and -if- they become winners, his legacy would be secured.
The "lotto pick" itself is pretty much irrelevant. The point is that the Nets can trade a top-3 pick for Dwight, or another very good player. My take is that would likely be enough to get him to hang around.

But if they don't get to keep the pick, their trade assets take a serious hit. Their best remaining player is an RFA. Wallace is going to opt out. Brooks a decent piece, but he's not netting you a star player.

They need the top-3 pick to make a serious move.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #38
mavs777
Diamond Member

Best case scenerio is Dwight gets traded on draft day to someone other than the Nets, there is a report out there that Houston will be willing to trade for Dwight as a rental.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Williams wants to be signed and delivered by the first day of signings, which is July11. Will the Magic deal Howard before the deadline? Everything will be favoring the Nets right now because they're the only ones that can wine and dine him, we get 11 days starting July 1 to start talking with him. Mavs have a history, Nets don't. Cuban will buy what it takes, Prokorov has no record, Avery's the coach. Prokorov was not with the team at all during the season.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #40
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Williams wants to be signed and delivered by the first day of signings, which is July11. Will the Magic deal Howard before the deadline? Everything will be favoring the Nets right now because they're the only ones that can wine and dine him, we get 11 days starting July 1 to start talking with him. Mavs have a history, Nets don't. Cuban will buy what it takes, Prokorov has no record, Avery's the coach. Prokorov was not with the team at all during the season.
I don't care what the east coast media is trying to sell the world, the ONLY way Deron stays in Brooklyn is if the Nets trade for Howard during the draft... And that's only happening if the lottery balls allow them to keep their top-3 pick, otherwise Deron Williams to Dallas is a sure thing...

Cuban > Pecker-ov
Carlisle > Avery
Dirk > diddly squat

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awesome to think of, colonystateofmind, death knells, delusional1234, deroff, git'erdonecubes, i have a dream, markus123no, michael reddish?, my ass bleeds for tyson, never happen dumbazz, oilfieldva-jay-jay, sard's sources outta @ss, shark tank for dwight, tank for dwight