Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough
Default Turnovers and alligator arms

Greetings by the way...

Okay, I have NBA Season Pass and I watch a lot of games league-wide so it isn't just a symptom of watching only our games. Can someone please explain to me why it is so hard for our guys to quit dribbling it to the other team and catch the ball?

I swear, if Dampier could catch a basketball we would easily have 72 wins. I can think of about 7 losses that the 10-12 he would have gotten if he could perform the most remedial task in the game (catching the dern thing) would have made the difference. I can't complain too much because he's good at the line, but jeez how can you be around a basketball as long as he has and play at this level and still not be able to catch the thing? Simply amazing.

Did Popeye Jones just give up with the beach ball or what? My niece could poke the ball out of his hands.

Last edited by come_on_now; 04-09-2007 at 03:54 AM.
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Are you kidding me? Damp's done an incredible job this season of catching and finishing this season, full credit to Popeye. And while Gana still struggles, he's made strides as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Are you kidding me? Damp's done an incredible job this season of catching and finishing this season, full credit to Popeye. And while Gana still struggles, he's made strides as well.
Are YOU kidding me? It is inexcusable how much Damp drops the ball. I think the definition of a bad pass is "any pass to Erick Dampier."

As for the original post, since when is 63% from the line good?

Last edited by jacktruth; 04-09-2007 at 09:41 AM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Damp and Diop do not have the greatest hands in the world, this is a known fact. This team would have had a chance to be 72-0, if they would have had them draw the big that is guarding them out of the lane, and the rest of the team attach the basket. This team fails when it settles for jump shots.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
Are YOU kidding me? It is inexcusable how much Damp drops the ball. I think the definition of a bad pass is "any pass to Erick Dampier."

As for the original post, since when is 63% from the line good?
Oh come on, Damp is better than he was last year. Have you been watching?

As for 63%, I'll take that from my center. When he goes to the line, I'm content with 1 of 2, and very pleased with 2 of 2.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Oh come on, Damp is better than he was last year. Have you been watching?

As for 63%, I'll take that from my center. When he goes to the line, I'm content with 1 of 2, and very pleased with 2 of 2.
He was much better when we had a new ball that would dig into his hands when he caught it. But he cannot be relied on.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

you are right. no more passes to damp or gana.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

So what your saying is if we had centers who could score we would win more... I think a lot of teams wish they had those, we are just lucky our 5 combo is good on the defensive end and boards.

Fortunately we have enough firepower to make up for playing 4 on 5 offense but I agree it is incredibly frustrating when Damp or Diop can't finish a simple layup or dunk (which is all they should be taking). I don't see them improving anytime soon, so let's just not pass to them unless... yeah let's just not pass to them.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I wouldn't mind having Big Ben.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Damp is one of the best traditional centers in the Game behind Shaq and .....idk....meani ng that there isnt that many left.

Howard, Bosh, Amare are not centers

For a millionth time....he does what he has to do and his presence is great

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 04-09-2007 at 02:42 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Damp is one of the best traditional centers in the Game behind Shaq and .....idk....meani ng that there isnt that many left.

The term "Center" is being redefined in the NBA nowadays. It did not mean the same thing it did in the 1950s when Bill Russell roamed. "Power Forwards" nowadays do the same things he did back then. Duncan, KG, Howard, Bosh..they all rebound, block shots, presence in the middle like any other "Centers" back then did. Just because nowadays our Centers are 7 feet and move like guards back in the 50s...they are not true "centers." That is crap.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

No they are more of power forwards all those guys. Dirk is 7 feet and he is not a center. All the Guys you mentioned are PF's.

Shaq
Damp
Illguaskes(spellin)
Yao
and a few others

I agree that the C position is different, but those guys are not centers they are more PF that can play centers and if Shaq cant guard any of them than why expect Damp to...

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 04-09-2007 at 04:23 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO

Okay, you just mentioned three athletic dudes. I'm not demanding more athleticism out of Dampier. That's not what we're talking about. Catching a basketball doesn't make them special. Catching a basketball is not an athletic move.

I see the point you're trying to make but it still doesn't answer the question of why a grown man that is, in fact, a basketball player can't catch a basketball.

That's all. It's maddening. Tie your high-tops, catch the basketball. And no, you have no chance of being "one of the best traditional centers" when you can't score because you can't catch the ball. I've never seen a center that couldn't catch the Spalding. That is what's called a liability.
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

I agree, if damp and diop could catch down low, we would be pretty much unstoppable.