Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Devin Taking Charge in Playoffs?

Ok, so the title is a little misleading, but I was wondering about something. Devin is obviously a huge fan of taking charges, and often from big guys. The debate over whether he has some flopping mixed in is another thread entirely, but here's my question: he always seems to go down pretty hard on these charges and it seems to me there is a high risk of injury. When does the risk of injury outweigh the help of racking up fouls against the opponent? Should Devin back off of these charges during the playoffs in order to help ensure that he is always healthy to play? Or are you in the "play hard or go home" category? Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
robo98564

robo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey
Ok, so the title is a little misleading, but I was wondering about something. Devin is obviously a huge fan of taking charges, and often from big guys. The debate over whether he has some flopping mixed in is another thread entirely, but here's my question: he always seems to go down pretty hard on these charges and it seems to me there is a high risk of injury. When does the risk of injury outweigh the help of racking up fouls against the opponent? Should Devin back off of these charges during the playoffs in order to help ensure that he is always healthy to play? Or are you in the "play hard or go home" category? Any thoughts?
I think thats just the way he plays... Yes there is risk of injury, but its one of the reasons he is one of the best defensive points in the league. I dont want him holding back anything. He gives 100% and as a Mavs fan, I heterosexually love him for that
robo98564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

If I had my way i'd take Devin taking charge in the 3rd and 4th quarter rather than the 1st half. That flopping he does can end up coming back to bite you in the ass. I will say though taking a charge is a huge momentum shifter. So I don't want Devin to completely get it out of his system but there can definately be consequences to taking those charges he does. But I think its just in Devin's system so I don't think you can sit here and have certain times he takes charges. Its just what he has to do. He's one of the few Mavs that will risk his body in that way so I definately give him props for that.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Take the charge. You don't become a star in this league thinking about the "what-ifs." You do it by acting. Dirk doesn't think about coming down on someone's ankle everytime he takes a jumpshot. Mbenga wasn't thinking about possibly being raped after blocking Kobe. Unless you're in foul trouble and could possibly be called for a blocking foul, if you think you've got position, take the charge.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Mbenga wasn't thinking about possibly being raped after blocking Kobe.
lol
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

True, that was funny.

As for the question at hand...what injury are you really risking? You aren't risking a sprained ankle or a blown-out knee or anything like that. You are basically just taking a hit to the chest. No big deal, really. Painful, maybe, but I don't think a big threat of injury. Even a concussion, if it came to that, would wear away quickly.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
True, that was funny.

As for the question at hand...what injury are you really risking? You aren't risking a sprained ankle or a blown-out knee or anything like that. You are basically just taking a hit to the chest. No big deal, really. Painful, maybe, but I don't think a big threat of injury. Even a concussion, if it came to that, would wear away quickly.
I almost mentioned the concussion thing and how it wouldn't last, but...you are asking a guy to have a concussion just to get the ball for a possession.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I say take the charge as well. Devin's the best in the league at drawing legit charges, along with some flops as well. It's who he is and how he plays the game.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
I almost mentioned the concussion thing and how it wouldn't last, but...you are asking a guy to have a concussion just to get the ball for a possession.
Nah, not for one possession. Chances are he will take the charge many times before he gets a concussion. So, it's like a concussion for all those times.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:02 AM   #10
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
True, that was funny.

I agree totally. I couldn't even tell you the last time someone got injured to the point of having to miss games by taking a charge. You're ready for a charge. You aren't ready for a foot under your ankle or getting up-ended while you're in the air.

Charges are nothin'. Right. He's light so he doens't hit the floor very hard.
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Reggie Miller took oodles of charges and lasted a very long time. Too early to tell for this discussion.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I think he has to worry about jamming his tailbone or screwing up his back more than anything...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Devin takes a lot of nastier falls attacking the basket. Do you think he should quit doing that? Of course not. Hey, Avery touts him as the best defensive point guard in the league. He frustrates other players and other coaches, so just let him keep playing the way he has been, all out. One of the easiest ways to get ian injury in any sport is just trying not to get injured.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not at all saying he should change anything, just bringing up a discussion.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

an injury to him from taking a charge is much less likely than an injury to someone else from him flopping(which he does, there is absolutely no debate about this) and falling into them.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

interesting question...I say let Devin be true to his game...and come what may......as long as "come what may" aint Bruce Bowen on a Mavs Ankle!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #17
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Tony Parker is great and maybe the fastest guy in the nba untill Harris last year. In the playoffs, Harris was amaing making Parker charge. Harris will be a big factor on how far we go. Taking charges is a big part of his game and i welcome that.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote