Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-20-2002, 09:40 PM   #1
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

The Clippers lost to the Blazers in Portland, late Saturday night. That seems to be their M.O. all season. The Clippers are now 3-14 away from home and dropped back to one game under .500 and into 10th place.

I like the Clippers for the future, but for this year, I don't think they are a playoff team. If they can keep their team together and get better PG play, they should be a solid playoff team year after year.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2002, 11:18 PM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< If they can keep their team together >>

Now that´s a huge &quot;if&quot;.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 05:46 AM   #3
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

if the mavs would have lost without nash, their best player you would have said that. so please mention the clippers were without there best player in lamar odom, who was out with an sprained wrist.
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:47 AM   #4
ma-gaga

ma-gaga is on a distinguished road

Clipfan,

Where do you see the Clippers in 2 years?
Will they keep their talent, or is the owner an idiot?
ma-gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 10:54 AM   #5
realclipsfan
Banned

2 years?? i think an title contender hopefully. they will keep most of there talent together in my opinion. i think odom,brand,miles,dooling and richardson stays for sure, but who knows on maggette and olowokandi. i hope they keep them, but if they dont oh well. the clips have enough cap room to get an good player but they may decide to keep what they have and just build around it with role players. in 2 years there should be no excuses about being young and stuff like that. they should be ready to get it going in 2 years. where do you see the clips in 2 years?
Old 01-22-2002, 12:15 PM   #6
ma-gaga

ma-gaga is on a distinguished road

It depends. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If they keep their talent: Best case - 2nd round of the playoffs. Worst case - 41-41 9th seed, still.

If they let their talent go: Nowhere.

I don't see it being a tough decision really, but I'm just trying to figure out what their owner is going to do. He has a horrible track record of keeping players. It sounds like they have a good base, do you think he'll keep the core of the team intact?

which players do you consider &quot;core&quot;?
ma-gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:24 PM   #7
realclipsfan
Banned

the core would be brand,odom,miles,dooling and richardson, but if you look at who sterling had a chance to sign you will see none of them is earning what they are getting. a few examples mo taylor and derek anderson.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:15 PM   #8
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

The clippers situation is really interesting. Sterling is absolutely the worst owner in sports. He has a great up and coming team, but I have a feeling that they won't keep the core together. Earlier this year he helped Phoenix get Bo outlaw in a three team trade. He did this so he could dump even more salary without receiving anything in return. So now one of his chief competitors for the last playoff spot has improved their team by getting OUtlaw and all they had to do is let Sterling clear costs. The guy is a joke and it will be interesting to see what the cheapest owner since Marge Schott comes throught when the time comes.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 01:46 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Within two years most of the Clippers young talent will have been traded for draft picks, guys with cheap contracts, or will they will leave the team as free agents... The only consistent roster philosophy of Donald Sterling is to keep the teams total salary as close to the league minimum as is possible. That is why the Clippers will always trade away the young talent that they draft and develop because of their unwillingness to pay more than relatively small amounts on the rookie contracts. Developed players leaving as free agents or being traded for new draft picks will continue to be the Clippers way...