Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-24-2002, 07:00 AM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Ok, I know this post has more to do with the Lakers than the Mavs, so if the moderaters want to move it that is fine. I think this post, though in a roundabout way, ties into the Mavs playoff chances. First off the Lakers are playing some awful ball. They have lost 5/7 and 4 in a row with Shaq. In fact since there 16-1 start the Lake show is just 12-10. So the question is can they turn it on. We had the same questions last year at this time. Many thought the Kobe/Shaq fued had killed team chemistry ruining their chances at a title, but we all know what happened. Now the question is can the Lakers and Phil Jackson put humpty dumpty back together again. Other questions linger this year such as their desire after winning two straight, and Shaq's feet. In spite of that I still fear the Lakers, and believe they are capable of putting everything together when they need to. I hope I am wrong, but would anybody be surprised if they won 19/20 going home and then dominated the playoffs. History tells me to be wary of the mighty Lakers.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2002, 09:27 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Just bumping this up since it seems to have gotten buried [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 11:26 PM   #3
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Thanks DJ, I thought it might make for an interesting discussion. I guess I was wrong though.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:01 AM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I dislike the Lakers in general,
and as much as I dislike Shaq's game...

I wholeheartedly believe that as long as Shaq is able to walk, he will singlehandedly will this year's team to a title.

As long as they don't meet the Mavs in the playoffs...haha
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:17 AM   #5
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

This kind of stretch has hit them in both their championship seasons in one way or another....

After they hit a bad stretch in their first championship season, they reeled off 19 in a row...

They ain't going anywhere until someone de-thrones them.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:02 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Lakers are so much better than the rest of the league that when playoff time rolls around it will be the same story as the last couple of years. Maybe Shaq will quit to play baseball...

Now I did find it interesting that Jackson plans to "retire" after next year when his contract expires. Jackson is an expert at finding the team that is on the verge of winning it all - I wonder if he is as good at figuring out when to leave. That would mean that he MIGHT think the Lakers will drop off their elite level after next year.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 04:49 PM   #7
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< I think the Lakers are so much better than the rest of the league that when playoff time rolls around it will be the same story as the last couple of years. >>

Last couple of years? Like when the Blazer would have shuffled them out of the playoffs if that team had anything resembling cohesion? Or do you just mean last year when they actually were dominant?

I completely disagree that the Lakers are that much better than the rest of the League. SHAQ is that much better than any other big man (but then this year he is overweight, his toe hurts, and he acts bored half the time), Kobe is a top player, and the rest of the team is well-coached second-stringers. And I think their greatest strength is the illusion of invulnerability that Shaq fronts.

Of course, that's a seperate question from 'can they turn it on in the playoffs'. The answer from last year seemed to be yes--but in that case, they had a lot of agression in the first half of the year and didn't so much 'turn it on' as turn it out instead of in for the stretch run. This year, they just seem a bit blase and I'm not sure they can turn it on from there.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:53 AM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Last couple of years? Like when the Blazer would have shuffled them out of the playoffs if that team had anything resembling cohesion? Or do you just mean last year when they actually were dominant? >>

Yes the Blazers had a meltdown and otherwise would have beat the Lakers. But the Lakers DID make a comeback in the game and put them in the position where the Blazers had the opportunity to fail. Too many people focus on the negative of the Blazer failure rather than the positive of the Laker comeback.

The Lakers were dominant last year late in the season. That's when the team realized that the regular season games were almost a waste of time and they COULD turn it on for the playoffs.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote