Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #481
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
You want respect AMavs?

WIN THR F"N GAMES

Games like these is why people still say crap about Dirk and the Mavs. Shoot the damn ball. It wasn't Stack's fault that the leader of the team didn't shoot the damn ball in the closing seconds. Rise up and shoot it Dirk. Damn. It was Ginobili on you. He wasn't going to f'n block your shot. G%d damn. Be a player and quit passing it to others.

You wanted the Spurs. No prove that you can man up against them. Today you didn't. You wilted.
Dead on. Your the f'in man you take the shot! If you miss it so be it, we weren't meant to win the game.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #482
Winwall

Winwall is a jewel in the roughWinwall is a jewel in the roughWinwall is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
It's not about Dirk being aggressive. It's nearly impossible to be aggressive when you're being double teamed so quickly that far from the bucket. He needs to play smart. He doesn't need to force shots. The Mavs need to run him off screens so that he can get some relatively open looks. They need to get him in the post more often.

But, if San Antonio is going to double him so quickly that far from the bucket, his scoring options are limited. If he's 'aggressive', his chances of turning the ball over are increased considerably.
right. the mavs need to find a way to punish them as soon as they try to double dirk.
they need to pass the ball faster so their defense doesnt get a chance to rotate.
if the mavs move the ball faster on offense they will get an open look.
Winwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #483
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I didn't know we had any timeouts. The way Stackhouse was playing you'd think he wasn't informed we had a timeout either. I just don't understand what he was thinking by going back for a tougher shot. Stack put together a good game but he left most of his mark in the first half. The 2nd half was vintage Stackhouse.
Even if there were no TO's, Stack made the worst possible decision.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #484
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Let's not put too much of the blame on Stack here. He made some horrible decisions late, but he was a key in the Mavs staying in the game. The Mavs have got to get more out of JET and Dirk.

Now, you have to examing HOW you can get more out of JET and Dirk. Well, JET quite simply just had a bad game. He wasn't guarded particularly well. He just didn't finish and didn't hit alot of open looks.

How do you get more out of Dirk? That's where the conversation has to start. It seems like Dirk got the ball in just about the same place on every single possession. That has to end because it played Dirk right out of the game in the second half.
That's a pretty damn fine post murph.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #485
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Barbaric Yawp!
Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #486
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

That ending was so last year.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #487
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I can't believe we didn't take advantage of this and win this game. This is very disappointing, and the road to winning this series just got a hell of a lot harder.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #488
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

The last shot was nuts. I can't believe that's our game-tying shot.

That said, this loss falls on Dirk, JET and anybody who shot a free-throw today except Howard. If we had gotten average performances from 2 of those 3 variables - this is a win.

Nothing to do but to regroup and try to steal game two.

Good game.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #489
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

What is Dallas's record now when Dan Craford refs a game?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #490
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the record is or anything, but I do know the officiating was atrocious today.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 05-07-2006 at 03:09 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #491
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
That's a pretty damn fine post murph.
AJ was sorely out-coached. When the Spurs started doubling Dirk up top, he never made an adjustment. Well, I take that back. He made an adjustment. The adjustment was for anyone other than Dirk to try and take their man off the dribble. Surely they've got to have a better game plan than that when Dirk's doubled up top.

With that being said, dirk did miss 2-3 open looks... If you're not going to get many open looks because of being doubled, you need to hit virtually every one of them when the opportunity arises.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #492
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I'd also like to know what's the Mavs record when they play on ABC. Going back to the past 2 or 3 years.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #493
Winwall

Winwall is a jewel in the roughWinwall is a jewel in the roughWinwall is a jewel in the rough

this will be a tough series for dirk ... its seems that bowen is allowed to play illegal defense on him ... i guess its hard for dirk to find his rhythm if he gets shoved and hold by dirty bruce all the time. officals need to call that. they cant allow this scrub to play a superstar like that.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #494
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winwall
right. the mavs need to find a way to punish them as soon as they try to double dirk.
they need to pass the ball faster so their defense doesnt get a chance to rotate.
if the mavs move the ball faster on offense they will get an open look.

Mavs with only 8 assists as a team, and 0 assists for Dirk.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #495
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I'm in agreement with those that want Dirk taking that last shot. Now, I realize that he was off balance, but he also made the decision to pick up his dribble, which is why he was forced to pass.

Oh well. Avery and his staff need to look back at the things they did offensively on April 7. They didn't do nearly enough of it today.

One other thing. If I have to read or hear one more account of how the "odds were stacked against the Spurs," I think I'll puke. Also, if I have to read one more post from a Mavs fan proclaiming the series over after one game, I think I'll puke.

It's ONE game.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #496
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Honestly I thought the officiating was bad on both parts. The refs weren't sure if they wanted to let the guys play physical or call a close game. Diop deserved his fouls as far as i'm concerned. Damp on the other hand didn't. Damp got called for about 2 or 3 questionable fouls. Other than that I have no problem with the officiating. I didn't think it favored any team.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #497
Murphy3
Guru

I'd like to have Dirk take the last shot as well. I'm sure he'd like to take the last shot. But, I think once he lost his balance, he didn't think he was the best possible option.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #498
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
One other thing. If I have to read or hear one more account of how the "odds were stacked against the Spurs," I think I'll puke. Also, if I have to read one more post from a Mavs fan proclaiming the series over after one game, I think I'll puke.

It's ONE game.
And if 3 more occur like it then there'll be 82 next year.

At some point the Mavs have to seize their opportunities. They let one slip away today. If you truly want to be a championship team then you can't let opportunities slip through your hands. It catches up with you.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #499
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
FWIW, I'm in agreement with those that want Dirk taking that last shot. Now, I realize that he was off balance, but he also made the decision to pick up his dribble, which is why he was forced to pass.

Oh well. Avery and his staff need to look back at the things they did offensively on April 7. They didn't do nearly enough of it today.

It's ONE game.
I think what happened with Dirk on that play was that Dirk picked up his dribble and was about to shoot. He had been doing it all game but the shot wouldn't fall. Still in that situation that's Dirk's shots.

I don't know about the odds being against the Spurs. The media forces that bs to fans talking about how Duncan's plantar fasciitis will become a problem for Duncan and the so called "back to back" would factor in to the Spurs being depleated but honestly the Spurs are champs. There team is full of guys who have been here before. There should be no excuses going around on either side.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #500
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

At some point the Mavs have to seize their opportunities. They let one slip away today. If you truly want to be a championship team then you can't let opportunities slip through your hands. It catches up with you.

Example of this is all of those free throws Stack, Damp, Dirk and JET missed. They all add up. Those were free points. No contesting involved. The opportunites were there today. Mavs didn't take advantage and it cost them the game.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #501
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Obviously, you're right. The Mavs have to win 4 games to advance. I just disagree with the premise that this game means that the Mavs lose the series. From my vantage point, Dirk and Terry had subpar games, our big men were in foul trouble, we missed a bunch of FTs, and we lost by 2.

The Mavs will take Game 2. Mark it down.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #502
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winwall
this will be a tough series for dirk ... its seems that bowen is allowed to play illegal defense on him ... i guess its hard for dirk to find his rhythm if he gets shoved and hold by dirty bruce all the time. officals need to call that. they cant allow this scrub to play a superstar like that.
The thing is, Dirk could have fouled him out in the 2nd half.

Dirk shot a fade away in the closing seconds of the 3rd quarter with Bowen drapped all over him and he did the same thing from the block early in the 4th. The refs showed early in the game that they would protect Dirk if he went straight up but he continued to shoot fades.

An a certain level you can't knock that because that's his game but he has to be smart enough to know when he has a guy on the ropes and knock him out.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #503
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"It seems like Dirk got the ball in just about the same place on every single possession. That has to end because it played Dirk right out of the game in the second half."

just got through telling my wife the same thing...I did not like where or how they got the ball to dirk in the second half.

all in all, what a great game.

if THIS is what the spurs got.....I love our chances.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #504
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4
Mavs with only 8 assists as a team, and 0 assists for Dirk.
I believe the Spurs only had 11. It wasn't a game of much ball movement for either team.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #505
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
The thing is, Dirk could have fouled him out in the 2nd half.

Dirk shot a fade away in the closing seconds of the 3rd quarter with Bowen drapped all over him and he did the same thing from the block early in the 4th. The refs showed early in the game that they would protect Dirk if he went straight up but he continued to shoot fades.

An a certain level you can't knock that because that's his game but he has to be smart enough to know when he has a guy on the ropes and knock him out.
There is some truth to this. We had Bowen in foul trouble and really didn't force the issue as much as we should have.

On the other hand, I thought Bowen fouled Dirk several times and it wasn't called. Heck, Bowen admits that his strategy is to foul Dirk every play that he guards him.

Bottom line, if the refs are only going to call certain things as fouls, Dirk has to adjust and be a cold-blooded killer in that respect, too.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #506
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

yeah i have to agree with this.

This is what cost them the Sac series in 03-04 with the toine and tawn. All the games were close and the mavs lost 4 of them.

I'm not sure what is going on with Dirk...I was reading all these articles about how he's been working hard between series and pretty much locked himself in a gym. What happened? Bowen got physical with him and started pushing him around

Let's get it together and grab game 2.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #507
Drbio
Banned

You know those of you who have already quite disgustingly thrown in the towel are welcome to get the hell out and go visit a board like the Knicks or somesuch. Maybe you would be more comfortable rooting for the Kansas City Royals or the Minnesota Vikings? Perhaps the Tampa Bay Devil Rays or the Houston Rockets would get you off?

Just a thought. Otherwise, enjoy the greatness that is the Mavericks as they advance into the Western Conference Championship on their way to the title.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #508
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

overall....I did not like the way AJ failed to use dirk as a weapon in this game...Dirk seemed more like a fall back....I'd love to see AJ force the Dirk "issue" more than he does....throughout the entire game....and not just as a bail out late in the fourth.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #509
Drbio
Banned

AND IN BETTER NEWS.......

I just scored a ticket to sit in the third row of Tuesday's GAME 2 from a client!!!!!

Oh hell yeah!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #510
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:

I just scored a ticket to sit in the third row of Tuesday's GAME 2 from a client!!!!!

Oh hell yeah!
if you die before Tuesday night....can I have the ticket? (inserts 9mm clip and puts on Rambo bandana)

Old 05-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #511
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

What I saw today in the 4th is that the refs let Bowen get away with a lot on Dirk. He wasn't fouling him so to speak but they were letting him play Dirk physical. Letting him put a body on Dirk and everthing. They didn't allow this in the first quarter. They quickly gave Bowen 2 fouls in the first quarter for doing the same type of activities. That's what the Mavs need. Someone who can play physical. Someone who is going to make guys work. Not put them on their ass but do what Bowen did and just throw everything you have out there. The refs are going to let you play physical in the 4th. The Mavs need to rise up to the challenge and play physical. Who cares if you get called for a foul. Keep playing aggressive and physical.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #512
sike
The Preacha

Dirk just did not battle Bowen enough...

oh, and why go away from the pick and roll?....

Old 05-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #513
Winwall

Quote:

Oh hell yeah!
Congrats
Hopefully one day I'll get a chance to go to a mavs game too.
Must be a great atmosphere, especially during the playoffs.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #514
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:

It's ONE game.
Totally agree with you. Our superstar played well below his potential and Terry's play was not what I expect from him, but we only lost by 2. It sucks we lost, but the first team to 4 wins. And the Spurs have 1. Just 1. It ain't even close to over.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #515
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Did Quis' hamstring tighten up on him? Quis had 3 assists in 6 minutes and looked pretty good out there in the first half. Then he gets out there in the fourth quarter and looks afraid to drive, which is why he ends up trying to make a pass that isn't there and looking really bad in the process.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 05-07-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #516
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Quote:
You know those of you who have already quite disgustingly thrown in the towel are welcome to get the hell out and go visit a board like the Knicks or somesuch. Maybe you would be more comfortable rooting for the Kansas City Royals or the Minnesota Vikings? Perhaps the Tampa Bay Devil Rays or the Houston Rockets would get you off?

Just a thought. Otherwise, enjoy the greatness that is the Mavericks as they advance into the Western Conference Championship on their way to the title.
Spurs board that way ---------->

Comeback for the Mavs begins now.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #517
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:

Oh hell yeah!
I think this pretty much guarantees victory.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #518
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
There is some truth to this. We had Bowen in foul trouble and really didn't force the issue as much as we should have.

On the other hand, I thought Bowen fouled Dirk several times and it wasn't called. Heck, Bowen admits that his strategy is to foul Dirk every play that he guards him.

Bottom line, if the refs are only going to call certain things as fouls, Dirk has to adjust and be a cold-blooded killer in that respect, too.
The way to get cold blooded is to make bowen sit on the bench next to Pop complaining. Dirk can't be physical with him because Bowen will just go down and he'll get the call every time due to the size descprepancy. He has to make a concious effort to get bowen in the air then go straight up.

I wil add this though, Dirk is really hurt by the fact that Terry isn't a precision passer. There's no way a small man should be able to front a big man...just lob in in before the bacside help can get there. Unfortunately JT can't do that.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #519
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
I wil add this though, Dirk is really hurt by the fact that Terry isn't a precision passer. There's no way a small man should be able to front a big man...just lob in in before the bacside help can get there. Unfortunately JT can't do that.
You know, if Avery would kind of let Quis run the offense, it might help out that problem a little bit. In my opinion, Quis has been the best person setting up the offense these last few months and does a good job of getting the ball to players in a good position (note that pass to a cutting Terry for a basket during the game). For whatever reason though - whether it is injuries to Quis or Avery's unwillingness to let him ride out his mistakes - Quis never gets much of a chance.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 05-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #520
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
The way to get cold blooded is to make bowen sit on the bench next to Pop complaining. Dirk can't be physical with him because Bowen will just go down and he'll get the call every time due to the size descprepancy. He has to make a concious effort to get bowen in the air then go straight up.
True. I'll add to this that I thought on several of those drives that were no-calls late in the game for Dallas, the Mavericks didn't just go up strong with the ball and draw the foul. They tried to throw up a very difficult call and avoid the defense, which almost always means the refs won't call the foul, even if one is there.

Quote:
He was hurt by Terry's passing, but he was also hurt by the fact that Terry wasn't shooting the mid-range jumper. The Spurs were letting Terry go off the screen and roll, and Terry was driving all the way into the shotblocker instead of simply shooting the mid-range 10-footer that was available and wide-open every time.

Terry has to play smarter in Game 2.