Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light
Default Bosh won't resign with Raptors

source : www.theknicksblog.com

Stpehen Smith thinks Bosh name will surface in trade rumours, mentions Miami and Dallas as possible destinations.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Now that would be a good move. It'll never happen, but I'd drink myself silly in celebration if it did.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Pull that off, and there's no need to worry about being under the cap in 2010. We'd have Bosh's Bird rights at that point. Getting Bosh would put the Mavs in the driver's seat for re-signing him in 2010, and in the meantime, they could start taking advantage of other teams' desire to cut payroll for 2010 by absorbing some longer contracts on players who can help this team win and win now.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

TEASE
Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Pull that off, and there's no need to worry about being under the cap in 2010. We'd have Bosh's Bird rights at that point. Getting Bosh would put the Mavs in the driver's seat for re-signing him in 2010, and in the meantime, they could start taking advantage of other teams' desire to cut payroll for 2010 by absorbing some longer contracts on players who can help this team win and win now.
Actually, that's the one thing I didn't consider when I argued against Bosh coming to Dallas in another thread - the draw that Bosh/Dirk/Kidd would have on other players around the league...

My biggest arguments against Bosh could easily be alleviated with a significant change in personnel - this team currently isn't built to win with a Bosh/Dirk defense, but some more-than-solid defensive-minded shooters could easily fix that...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-02-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Faith.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Based on the reliability of Screamin A smith, I don't want to believe this article, But it sure is tempting if we could pull it off.

The good Ol days : Click

Last edited by quietsavant; 02-02-2009 at 12:59 PM.
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

I just don't think the Mavs have enough to pull off a deal for any type of superstar type player.

Unless we get a Pau type discount deal like the Lakers got last year.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
I just don't think the Mavs have enough to pull off a deal for any type of superstar type player.

Unless we get a Pau type discount deal like the Lakers got last year.
That would be a first - there seems to be little love/connection between our front office and the rest of the league... We can get deals done, but nobody is hooking us up...

Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Trade for Bosh now--or in the offseason, but I'd rather it be now to keep me interested. Offer Ron Artest the full mid-level in the offseason--that enough defense? Front line of Bosh, Dirk, Artest, with Kidd & Wright in the backcourt.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
Underdog

Quote:
Trade for Bosh now--or in the offseason, but I'd rather it be now to keep me interested. Offer Ron Artest the full mid-level in the offseason--that enough defense? Front line of Bosh, Dirk, Artest, with Kidd & Wright in the backcourt.
Nice...

Old 02-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Like I said in the other thread, Josh, Stack and Bass for Bosh is an accepted trade in the nba trade machine. Would that be enough to get Bosh as far as the Raptors are concerned? doubtful, unless they just decide they're not getting fair market value for him (which they won't) and decide that this is the best they can do. It seems like there's better options out there (Amare for example) but they sent Vince Carter to the Nets for nothing good in return so who knows.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

They can do better than that, IMO. Anything with Amare as the centerpiece will overshadow what we would have to offer.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I don't think Toronto is crazy enough to trade Bosh. They'll try their best to make him happy with trying to acquire talent to put around him. If they can't do it by the trade deadline next season then there may be a small chance they'll trade him then but I think our best chance at bringing Bosh back to Dallas is probably going to be through signing him to a contract in 2010.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard for Toronto to acquire talent around him. I think the last couple of seasons is it for the Raptors as far as talent-wise, which young NBA superstar is going to want to play in Canada? It's a harsh reality.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 02-02-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
I don't think Toronto is crazy enough to trade Bosh. They'll try their best to make him happy with trying to acquire talent to put around him. If they can't do it by the trade deadline next season then there may be a small chance they'll trade him then but I think our best chance at bringing Bosh back to Dallas is probably going to be through signing him to a contract in 2010.
Who said Bosh didn't want to stay in Toronto because of talent?

Maybe it's just because they're...well...Canadians.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

There's really no reason to trade him this year, unless they get an offer they like such as Amare for example.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
alby
Guru

It really isn't fair to the fans up there though, the support for the Raptors is amazing and you sometimes get a European feel when watching their games (which by the way is far superior to anything we can offer here in the states at a professional level). The truth of the matter is, no one wants to go north of the border to live and spend your non basketball life there. The only guys are the players that they draft and/or players in the twilights of the careers (Hakeem).

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 02-02-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #19
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post

Maybe it's just because they're...well...Canadians.
Yeah..and we all know they are afraid of the dark
Old 02-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bosh says Stephen A. Smith is Wrong!

Bosh denies comment made about his no return to the raptors.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...gency_rumors/#
Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #21
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

If the Raptors were scared that Bosh wasn't going to resign they could probably get another star in return for him, like someone mentioned, Amare. Good move for the Suns there, Bosh and Shaq would make much more sense, and the Raptors don't lose any sleep over that deal either. Amare/Bargnani would be pretty lethal with Calderon setting them up.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

If they're going to trade him, they'll trade him in the offseason or later, either way it's not happening in 2 weeks IMO...maybe a draft night deal. They'll need to ultimately figure out what kind of assets they really feel good about getting in return. It's not like a star for star move is going to fix Toronto. They need multiple pieces to come back to make it work.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #23
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
It's hard for Toronto to acquire talent around him. I think the last couple of seasons is it for the Raptors as far as talent-wise, which young NBA superstar is going to want to play in Canada? It's a harsh reality.
I think you can argue the Raptors have some of the most talent in the East. Why their record is so bad is beyond me.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #24
alby
Guru

my point exactly

Contact Me
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #25
bobatundi
Golden Member

well if the Mavs don't get anything done before the deadline, I think our offseason plan should be to (a) trade for Bosh, (b) re-sign Kidd, and (c) try to get Artest for the full MLE. Chances of trading for Bosh could increase in the offseason, as we could include our 1st in a draft-night deal. Josh, Stack, Bass & a #1 for Bosh? Sounds like a pretty solid deal for Toronto, especially if their alternative is just losing him altogether.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #26
alby
Guru

^
Kidd
SG
Artest
Dirk
Bosh

wow!

Contact Me
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #27
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
^
Kidd
SG
Artest
Dirk
Bosh

wow!
This works too:

Kidd
JET
Artest
Dirk
Bosh

Terry would go OFF in this lineup and would be much less of a defensive liability with Artest on the floor (JET would be free to sell-out trying to strip the ball with Ron-Ron backing him...)

Sure, I'd still use him as 6th man, but you could keep Wright in that lineup and still get good results with Dirk/Bosh/Artest doing all the scoring...

[I love pipe dreams...]

Last edited by Underdog; 02-03-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: more typoz
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #28
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
well if the Mavs don't get anything done before the deadline, I think our offseason plan should be to (a) trade for Bosh, (b) re-sign Kidd, and (c) try to get Artest for the full MLE. Chances of trading for Bosh could increase in the offseason, as we could include our 1st in a draft-night deal. Josh, Stack, Bass & a #1 for Bosh? Sounds like a pretty solid deal for Toronto, especially if their alternative is just losing him altogether.
Can't trade your first round pick 2 years in a row. Remember we gave the Nets the 2008 and 2010 First round pick. So we can't use a First round pick in a trade until 2012.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 02-03-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #29
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Can't trade your first round pick 2 years in a row. Remember we gave the Nets the 2008 and 2010 First round pick. So we can't use a First round pick in a trade until 2012.
Correct, but there is a way around it. You can't trade your first round pick 2 years in a row but you can immediately trade the rights to someone you just drafted using a first round pick that you weren't allowed to trade. So theoretically the Raptors and Mavs could have a deal all worked out on draft night in 2009 where the Raptors just tell the Mavs who to draft. Once David Stern is finished saying "the Dallas Mavericks select.........." then the deal can go through.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #30
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro View Post
Correct, but there is a way around it. You can't trade your first round pick 2 years in a row but you can immediately trade the rights to someone you just drafted using a first round pick that you weren't allowed to trade. So theoretically the Raptors and Mavs could have a deal all worked out on draft night in 2009 where the Raptors just tell the Mavs who to draft. Once David Stern is finished saying "the Dallas Mavericks select.........." then the deal can go through.
That's true, but that doesn't happen very often. For us to assume that the Raptors and Mavs are going to work that out is kind of silly. Especially since the Mavs probably (hopefully) won't even be a lottery team. But it's possible I guess.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 02-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #31
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Would you guys trade Dirk for Josh, Stack, Bass, and a first rounder? The Raptors won't lose their star for that garbage either. Pipe dream, other teams could easily offer a better package. Our only hope would be to wait until he's an FA.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #32
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
That's true, but that doesn't happen very often. For us to assume that the Raptors and Mavs are going to work that out is kind of silly. Especially since the Mavs probably (hopefully) won't even be a lottery team. But it's possible I guess.
No doubt. I agree with you. I was just pointing that out for information only. If/when the Raptors decide to move Bosh they can get a better deal elsewhere.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #33
ty
Diamond Member

Access Denied.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #34
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
On the day that ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith was reporting the Raptors’ star forward had told Colangelo, the president and general manager, that he would leave Toronto when he becomes a free agent after next season, the two were at opposite ends of the room. Were these conversations lending veracity to Smith’s story? “No. No. No. I have not told him that,” Bosh said, shooting down the report. “It was a surprise to me. I can’t be responsible for what people say. I understand that people are entitled to their opinion. But making stuff up, we can’t do that. Let’s all be fair.” National Post
cont.

Quote:
“There’s no truth to the rumour or the speculation that he said anything to any of us in the organization that he’s going to be leaving,” Colangelo added. “There’s no truth to the fact that he’s on the trading block or being shopped in any regard. “There just doesn’t seem to be a lot of accountability with respect to the topic sometimes.” National Post
Old 02-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #35
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
Based on the reliability of Screamin A smith, I don't want to believe this article, But it sure is tempting if we could pull it off.
rep

Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #36
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Well Bosh and the Raptors FO are both denying he said he wouldn't resign. Unless it's damage control then all of this talk is pointless.