Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #841
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymcfly View Post
Rondo sucks.

Told everyone this trade was basically gonna kill our season. If we just continued at our pre-trade pace, we'd be sitting at 38-14 right now with the 2nd best record in the West and the 2nd best point differential. We'd probably be the 3rd or 4th favorite to win the title. Now our realistic best-case scenario is winning one playoff series.
And another one bites the dust!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #842
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rondo sucks.

Told everyone this trade was basically gonna kill our season. If we just continued at our pre-trade pace, we'd be sitting at 38-14 right now with the 2nd best record in the West and the 2nd best point differential. We'd probably be the 3rd or 4th favorite to win the title. Now our realistic best-case scenario is winning one playoff series.
I can't say for sure that this roster can win a championship, but I can say that a team giving starter minutes to a player the caliber of Jameer Nelson isn't going anywhere, strong bench or not. And while I do think there is some value to those numbers, I just don't believe a great offense/worst in the league defense is ever going anywhere.

Last edited by spreedom; 02-06-2015 at 07:14 PM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #843
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
So I guess you are satisfied with a 50 win team with Rondo over close to a 60 win team with Wright and Nelson. Well I'd rather us win more. We were a better team before the trade. I don't know why people are in denial about that around here.

For one thing, I think you highly overestimate the value of Wright, the bench player, compared to Rondo, the 35MPG starter. And why do you even bother mentioning Nelson? He wasn't even playing like a good backup when he was here. For me, the proof is in the pudding. To go from #2 offense/#29 defense to #7 offense/#7 defense largely due to the addition of a single player... well, one of those two teams has the potential to go somewhere in the playoffs and the other one is extremely lucky to get out of the first round, regardless of what seed it earns.

That's why I don't even particularly care if the Mavs end up as a 50-win team in the regular season. Seeding in the West is going to be irrelevant because there are 10 teams in the West that would be cleaning up out East right now. If the Mavs ended up #1 they might draw #8 OKC. If they ended up #7 they might draw #2 Memphis. Right now #6 Dallas draws #3 Houston... who might not even have Dwight Howard. Winning 60 games doesn't guarantee a deep playoff run this year. If we make progress on the court (almost irrespective of actual win-loss record, as long as we make it in the playoffs) I absolutely love this trade. Heck, if we make one trade for any sort of halfway-decent center or PF/C combo player that can defend, we're leaps and bounds better than the pre-Rondo roster. Even if we just add JO (which I'm mostly underwhelmed by, but it seems like this is where things are heading) we're still a better roster top-to-bottom because of the different role that O'Neal fills that Wright simply can't.

I mean seriously... do some people actually think Wright, as awesome as he played in a limited role, is anywhere near as valuable as a playoff warrior at PG that has almost single-handedly dragged our defense out of the gutter? Fit with Ellis/Dirk aside... Rondo is the real deal. Wright was a great bench player. Nelson was basketball AIDS.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #844
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rondo sucks.

I don't think it matters how many statistical reasons you come up with to say the Mavs don't need Rondo. Steph Curry just put up 51 reasons why we do. With Rondo, Harden and Westbrook and Derrick Rose score 20 or less.

Those Harris stats total 100 minutes. That's 2 games and 4 minutes. If you are going to cherry pick like that, I hope, next time, you'll bake us a nice pie.

As for 38-14, that would only be possible if you managed to make the Rondo part of the season against all the weak assed teamed we beat before he got here. Before the trade, we were blown out be every playoff team in the West. Wright never got to double figures. Since the trade, we have won a few and been and been competitive in a few more. Its progress. But a team that can't defend guards is going nowhere in the West, even if it can score 42 in a quarter. GSW just proved again what the smart people figured out in November and December.

Last edited by G-Man; 02-06-2015 at 08:04 PM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #845
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

I don't get how minority of fans have turned on Rondo. He's barely played. Didn't even start a preseason with the team. His impact on the court is strong. No...I'm not talking about scoring. It's his overall way of spreading stat sheets. Getting timely steals or finding right guys open. Whoever wants him gone this early doesn't seem to have much patience for an 82 game season.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #846
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Rondo is good. Rondo will get better. Rondo may be as good as Harris is for this team after Rondo has played even a fraction of the 341 regular season games with the Mavs as Harris is.

HOWEVER, dude needs to find a way to fit in. He's gotta figure out how to play with the guys NOW and he has to find a way to be a consistent three-point threat. We don't have the time.

It's silly to compare a guy whose played 341 games to a guy who has barely scratched 21, but Rondo's impact can't be ignored. He has to get better playing with Parsons, Ellis, and Dirk by game 50-60 for us to have a chance.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #847
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Clippers about to lose their third game in a row with a BRUTAL upcoming schedule: OKC, Mavs, Rockets x2, Spurs and Griz x2 . I wonder if theyre thinking about benching Paul for Austin Rivers.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #848
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Clippers about to lose their third game in a row with a BRUTAL upcoming schedule: OKC, Mavs, Rockets x2, Spurs and Griz x2 . I wonder if theyre thinking about benching Paul for Austin Rivers.
Blammo.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #849
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
I'm pretty sure they are just gonna cut paul instead of benching him.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #850
spreedom
Diamond Member

Pretty good bit on the BS Report today with Zach Lowe saying very directly that many NBA front office types and players absolutely hate Chris Paul's behavior and think it's awesome that Doc Rivers is eating shit as an executive right now.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #851
iggymcfly

iggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I don't think it matters how many statistical reasons you come up with to say the Mavs don't need Rondo. Steph Curry just put up 51 reasons why we do. With Rondo, Harden and Westbrook and Derrick Rose score 20 or less.

Those Harris stats total 100 minutes. That's 2 games and 4 minutes. If you are going to cherry pick like that, I hope, next time, you'll bake us a nice pie.
You'll be happy to know that Jameer Nelson played 254 minutes with the starters, and that lineup did better than the Harris lineup both offensively and defensively. So if anything I reverse cherry-picked and showed you the less convincing part of the argument in the pretty graphic.

Quote:
As for 38-14, that would only be possible if you managed to make the Rondo part of the season against all the weak assed teamed we beat before he got here. Before the trade, we were blown out be every playoff team in the West. Wright never got to double figures. Since the trade, we have won a few and been and been competitive in a few more. Its progress. But a team that can't defend guards is going nowhere in the West, even if it can score 42 in a quarter. GSW just proved again what the smart people figured out in November and December.
Hmm, if only this had been addressed somewhere. Like the graphic which showed the Mavericks actually faced better defenses on average pre-trade before Rondo drove the Mavericks greatest of all-time offense off a cliff.
iggymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:47 PM   #852
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Great offenses and no defense don't win championships. Just ask Don Nelson and Mike D'Antoni.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #853
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Pretty good bit on the BS Report today with Zach Lowe saying very directly that many NBA front office types and players absolutely hate Chris Paul's behavior and think it's awesome that Doc Rivers is eating shit as an executive right now.
I can't stand Chris Paul and that's putting it nicely. I've just never seen any player bitch as much as he does. Every time he doesn't get his way endless bitching, complaining, and flopping ensues. Yes, he's talented and arguably the best Point Guard in the league, but his antics make me dislike him in a major way. I have no respect for Chris Paul and I hope to see him fail every single time he's in the Playoffs.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:34 AM   #854
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
I can't stand Chris Paul and that's putting it nicely. I've just never seen any player bitch as much as he does. Every time he doesn't get his way endless bitching, complaining, and flopping ensues. Yes, he's talented and arguably the best Point Guard in the league, but his antics make me dislike him in a major way. I have no respect for Chris Paul and I hope to see him fail every single time he's in the Playoffs.
It's pretty tough to find an argument that he's better than Steph. Absolute peak paul sure , but Paul now? Pretty clearly behind Steph imo
Old 02-07-2015, 04:36 AM   #855
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
You'll be happy to know that Jameer Nelson played 254 minutes with the starters, and that lineup did better than the Harris lineup both offensively and defensively. So if anything I reverse cherry-picked and showed you the less convincing part of the argument in the pretty graphic.

Hmm, if only this had been addressed somewhere. Like the graphic which showed the Mavericks actually faced better defenses on average pre-trade before Rondo drove the Mavericks greatest of all-time offense off a cliff.
Do you or does anyone else really believe the mavs were the best offense in history before the trade rather than a very good to great offense that was being boosted by unsustainable numbers in a small sample size?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #856
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

People overrate the pre-trade Mavs. They were blowing out teams, i mean BAD teams. The sixers lost by 472 points, that boosts your stats. A team with Nelson as the starter goes nowhere and Wright was a non-factor against better teams.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #857
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

I really don't understand where the trolls against Rondo come from. One was a clear Rondo hater & a Rockets fan (shown by the fact that he registered just after the Mavs-Rockets game). It was quite clear that Rondo hasn't put much effort into training and playing for the past few years and you can blame his lack of work ethic for that - but I would partly blame the Celtics' organization also. They should have convinced him to try to develop outside game or something else rather than mope on the bench. Perhaps they did try and Rondo resisted, I don't know...

It should be quite clear that Rondo trade was for his Bird rights rather than win-now mode. For sure it was seen as an improvement by the Mavericks FO but I think it was made more in terms of next year's preparations. Also, having Rondo right now means that you can assess how well he fits in and whether you would be willing to offer him a max deal. Lets be clear, it's rather obvious that Jim Buss will offer Rondo max deal because of Kobe. I would be surprised if it didn't happen. Only way it wouldn't happen is if they'd get a 3rd star to play alongside them. I believe that before the Rondo trade, Mavericks would've been willing to offer him near max deal but this season they have a chance to see what Rondo actually is made of and perhaps convince him to sign for less. * (I still believe that Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis could sign modest or hometown discount if it helps the team to improve it's bench - I would be really surprised if Chandler goes after a huge contract for another Knicks type of ride and I doubt Ellis would get max although he might get similar offers that Iguodala got - from top teams) * also, by modest/hometown I simply mean they would accept less than they are offered from other teams, I'm not talking about Dirk-like discount; similar what Ellis signed with Mavs before

I also believe that true assessment of Rondo in Dallas should only be done in October/November. Mavericks are probably amongst very few organizations that could convince Rondo to develop a reliable 3-point shot like Kidd had. Wouldn't you do the Rondo trade again if he would be willing to develop a 3-point shot for next season?

Furthermore, blaming him for his recent lack of effort... Well, this is actually who Rondo is. I think that his first games with Mavericks was the Playoff-Rondo and after that he just slipped into his Regular Season form. I haven't watched recent Mavs games (waiting for Mavs to clear the air about O'Neal is just too painful for me to wait, I'd rather see them auditioning other bigs and keep one spot open or promise to release once he decides to join - but I love what Powell has shown) but when was the last time Rondo drew a charge like he did in the first game? I'm sure he'll be ready to do it come Playoffs but if I'm not mistaken, he isn't doing it now - before the knee-to-the-face that is.

To be short, I believe Rondo's trade was mainly done for his Bird rights and bonus is that Mavericks can see how well he fits before they give him a huge contract. They also can see how willing he would be to develop Kidd-like features. Blamers should come out next season if Rondo still plays like he does now, but currently there's nothing else to do other than wait. Isn't current lineup better than last year's that took Spurs to 7 - especially if you add a big like O'Neal?

People should be more concerned about Chandler Parsons as he has to invent something if Rondo remains as a Maverick. I don't think that his style of play fits current lineup although I really like his game and potential, minus the jump shot.

* I also forgot to add that people doesn't seem to acknowledge how well top teams were able to defend P&R, especially Grizzlies seemed to do it very well. I really loved Harris to Wright connection but this was basically all that Wright brought to the team. Pre-Rondo team was better suited for Eastern Conference but current lineup fits better against Western teams.

Last edited by Thebo; 02-07-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #858
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Best first post ever
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #859
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
I really don't understand where the trolls against Rondo come from. One was a clear Rondo hater & a Rockets fan (shown by the fact that he registered just after the Mavs-Rockets game). It was quite clear that Rondo hasn't put much effort into training and playing for the past few years and you can blame his lack of work ethic for that - but I would partly blame the Celtics' organization also. They should have convinced him to try to develop outside game or something else rather than mope on the bench. Perhaps they did try and Rondo resisted, I don't know...

It should be quite clear that Rondo trade was for his Bird rights rather than win-now mode. For sure it was seen as an improvement by the Mavericks FO but I think it was made more in terms of next year's preparations. Also, having Rondo right now means that you can assess how well he fits in and whether you would be willing to offer him a max deal. Lets be clear, it's rather obvious that Jim Buss will offer Rondo max deal because of Kobe. I would be surprised if it didn't happen. Only way it wouldn't happen is if they'd get a 3rd star to play alongside them. I believe that before the Rondo trade, Mavericks would've been willing to offer him near max deal but this season they have a chance to see what Rondo actually is made of and perhaps convince him to sign for less. * (I still believe that Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis could sign modest or hometown discount if it helps the team to improve it's bench - I would be really surprised if Chandler goes after a huge contract for another Knicks type of ride and I doubt Ellis would get max although he might get similar offers that Iguodala got - from top teams) * also, by modest/hometown I simply mean they would accept less than they are offered from other teams, I'm not talking about Dirk-like discount; similar what Ellis signed with Mavs before

I also believe that true assessment of Rondo in Dallas should only be done in October/November. Mavericks are probably amongst very few organizations that could convince Rondo to develop a reliable 3-point shot like Kidd had. Wouldn't you do the Rondo trade again if he would be willing to develop a 3-point shot for next season?

Furthermore, blaming him for his recent lack of effort... Well, this is actually who Rondo is. I think that his first games with Mavericks was the Playoff-Rondo and after that he just slipped into his Regular Season form. I haven't watched recent Mavs games (waiting for Mavs to clear the air about O'Neal is just too painful for me to wait, I'd rather see them auditioning other bigs and keep one spot open or promise to release once he decides to join - but I love what Powell has shown) but when was the last time Rondo drew a charge like he did in the first game? I'm sure he'll be ready to do it come Playoffs but if I'm not mistaken, he isn't doing it now - before the knee-to-the-face that is.

To be short, I believe Rondo's trade was mainly done for his Bird rights and bonus is that Mavericks can see how well he fits before they give him a huge contract. They also can see how willing he would be to develop Kidd-like features. Blamers should come out next season if Rondo still plays like he does now, but currently there's nothing else to do other than wait. Isn't current lineup better than last year's that took Spurs to 7 - especially if you add a big like O'Neal?

People should be more concerned about Chandler Parsons as he has to invent something if Rondo remains as a Maverick. I don't think that his style of play fits current lineup although I really like his game and potential, minus the jump shot.

* I also forgot to add that people doesn't seem to acknowledge how well top teams were able to defend P&R, especially Grizzlies seemed to do it very well. I really loved Harris to Wright connection but this was basically all that Wright brought to the team. Pre-Rondo team was better suited for Eastern Conference but current lineup fits better against Western teams.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #860
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
'

Great. If you can arrange for the Mavs to play the average of the teams they face, this would mean something. The reality is they play some good teams and some bad teams and some average teams. Before the trade, we excelled against the bad and average. We still do. Before the trade, we sucked against the really good teams, and we still lose to them. But their star guards do not average career games against Rondo like they did before he got here.

Look at the 4 game losing streak. The only blowout was against Memphis, who we just beat the week before. The other losses were by 3, 4 and 5 points. Those games were all winnable, largely because no star guard scored over 20. D Rose 20, J Harden 17.

It does not matter how we do against the defensive average. If we get raped nightly by the likes of Harden and Westbrook and Curry, we go nowhere in the playoffs. That was a crisis the MBT faced and solved. We still have half a season to massage the offense. But we are better defensively. That does matter.

Its like arguing to bring back Nellie's Mavs. Hate all you want on the Little General. But he made everybody try on defense and that got us to the Finals, and laid the groundwork for the championship. You may not believe this, but Carlisle does. That's why we got Rondo. This is not the end of the process...it still close to the beginning.

Last edited by G-Man; 02-07-2015 at 11:25 AM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #861
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
So I guess you are satisfied with a 50 win team with Rondo over close to a 60 win team with Wright and Nelson.
That's a nice understanding of sample size, you got there.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #862
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rondo out through All-Star break

DALLAS -- Rajon Rondo won't return before the All-Star break as the Dallas point guard recovers from breaking the orbital bone of his left eye.

The Mavericks said Friday that Rondo would miss the remaining three games before the break, starting Saturday night against Portland. He will also miss games against the Los Angeles Clippers and Utah.

Sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that while surgery for Rondo has not been ruled out completely, team officials are hopeful that prolonged rest will enable him to avoid an operation.

Rondo also broke his nose when he was inadvertently kneed by teammate Richard Jefferson while getting up after tripping over the leg of Orlando's Elfrid Payton early in a game Jan. 31.

In 21 games since being traded to Dallas from Boston, Rondo has averaged 9.2 points and 6.5 assists per game.
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...-bone-left-eye

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #863
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim MacMahon: Rajon Rondo whipped Rick Carlisle in Connect 4. Rick: "He got all excited afterward. I told him to learn how to make a shot." Twitter @espn_macmahon - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.3I88VJSC.dpuf
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #864
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Tim MacMahon: Rajon Rondo whipped Rick Carlisle in Connect 4. Rick: "He got all excited afterward. I told him to learn how to make a shot." Twitter @espn_macmahon - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.3I88VJSC.dpuf
Genius.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #865
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's just the ESPN writers for the mavs, including BG IIRC, but they're all agreeing that Rondo made the offense stagnant. Theres only one ball and parsons needs it in his hands to be productive. When not in transition he is wasteful on offense bc he dribbles a lot and no one respects his pnr. Parsons production suffered when rondo was on the court. Obviously we're riding out the season with him but I hope he isn't here long term unless something changes on the court.

I know I'm going to get killed here.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #866
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I know it's just the ESPN writers for the mavs, including BG IIRC, but they're all agreeing that Rondo made the offense stagnant. Theres only one ball and parsons needs it in his hands to be productive. When not in transition he is wasteful on offense bc he dribbles a lot and no one respects his pnr. Parsons production suffered when rondo was on the court. Obviously we're riding out the season with him but I hope he isn't here long term unless something changes on the court.

I agree. But I'm willing to give him another chance to make it right. Especially if our bench picks up with Amare. Rondo still learning the system.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #867
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He needs to make quicker decisions. Its ok to probe the defense and see which way it bends but too often Rondo hangs onto and continues dribbling the rock for an extra beat or two. And also he needs to better recognize and make the RIGHT pass, even if it is the simpler, less fancy option. Kidd was a master and we're all somewhat spoiled having watched the guy here for years.

Now we have 4 guards who tend to over dribble. Granted, a big part of Monta's game is predicated on dribble drive and to create separation but at least thats purposeful.. Crisper ball movement on the perimeter should be a HUGE second half focus. It will lead to more open looks for everybody. One of my favorite parts of Parsons game is how economical he is in his movements- not a lot of wasted motion(except for the leg kick thingy of course)
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #868
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Obviously we're riding out the season with him but I hope he isn't here long term unless something changes on the court.

So again for the "Rondo sucks" group here:

WHO should be the PG in the future? Please tell me. And dont come with Dragic. Or some crazy big trade where we ship out Parsons or Ellis to get two significant player in return on the missing positions

Dirk
Chandler
Ellis
Parsons
Harris

So our options to get a PG after "letting Rondo go":

10-12m cap (remember, looks like the Lakers throwing a 20m max deal after Dragic)

or packing Felton with our late 1st

or with our 3m Mini-MLE

Awesome. So please tell me, who is this guy we are able to get for the PG position? Blabla Rondo isnt the perfect piece or fit - of course. But are there any BETTER options? I dont see them. And no, i also dont think this Wright&future 1st would have been enough to get Lawson.

Last edited by sefant77; 02-16-2015 at 09:14 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #869
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Well, in the last couple of weeks Rondo had plenty of time to watch and study how we want to play on offense. No more excuses.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #870
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

I love when the "Rondo sucks" people come on here and try to post up stats when WE WERE PLAYING A CREAM PUFF SCHEDULE and compare it to the grind part of our season where it's another top 8 west team every night.

Yeah, let's see if we can get Jameer Nelson back. That will get us to be a 65-win team.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 02-16-2015 at 09:34 PM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #871
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Awesome. So please tell me, who is this guy we are able to get for the PG position? Blabla Rondo isnt the perfect piece or fit - of course. But are there any BETTER options? I dont see them.
I don't see that there are any other reasonable options than Reggie Jackson/Patrick Beverly. Jackson actually would be odd as he is too young by Mavs' standards, also he doesn't help with outside scoring. Beverly mostly helps out with defensive effort but doesn't seem to have much upside, just solid player. These are the only 2 names I can come up with that are available if Mavs would consider letting Rondo go.

Thing to remember is that you won't see what Rondo really adds to the team until playoffs start. And also you don't know how much he would improve his game before next season - by improvement I mean adding J-Kidds 3 point shot.

I think all can agree that Rondo-Ellis-Parsons is an odd fit if neither one of them is coming off the bench. Rondo with 3PT scoring skills would help out but in the end I think all depends on how much Parsons is willing to reinvent himself into pure shooter. He doesn't seem to be much of a defender but he can also improve his rebounding.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #872
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Well, in the last couple of weeks Rondo had plenty of time to watch and study how we want to play on offense. No more excuses.
Yes, he certainly won't need any time on the floor with his teammates to build chemistry.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #873
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Excellent news. Rondo will play against OKC! Now I just wonder about Tyson Chandler.

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 02-17-2015 at 08:17 PM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #874
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Excellent news. Rondo will play against OKC! Now I just wonder about Tyson Chandler.
Good stuff
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:31 AM   #875
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Rondo will be just fine offensively. When he realizes his role will be more of a scorer in our offense he will build confidence.
The Boston game he was more selfish and wanted to prove something so his confidence level was high and we see how he torched his old team with 3s so he is capable. Now RC just has to bring that out of him on a regular basis. I think that will happen next season when Dirk takes a huge step back in terms of role and lets this become the Rondo-Ellis-Parsons team.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #876
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Dirk takes a huge step back in terms of role and lets this become the Rondo-Ellis-Parsons team.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #877
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
If this team expects Dirk to be the catalyst the rest of his career we are in big trouble.
Someone needs to step up and we will most likely commit to Rondo and Ellis for the rest of the Dirk era so they better become the new catalysts along with Parsons soon. I'd hate to think we'll have 45+mil tied up in 3 role players.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #878
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
If this team expects Dirk to be the catalyst the rest of his career we are in big trouble.
Someone needs to step up and we will most likely commit to Rondo and Ellis for the rest of the Dirk era so they better become the new catalysts along with Parsons soon. I'd hate to think we'll have 45+mil tied up in 3 role players.
I wonder if we would be able to make a move towards KD in free agency 2016?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #879
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
I wonder if we would be able to make a move towards KD in free agency 2016?
I doubt it with Parsons, Dirk and most likely Chandler, Ellis, Rondo locked up that year.
I'm afraid our only hope would be a trade for him but that would be a long shot.

I think Cuban and Donnie are done with the "dreaming for superstars" strategy.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #880
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I'd love for Kevin Durant to play in Dallas, but I really would hate to be in the position to figure out how to make such a trade work. That'd be very complicated. There are a number of guys I don't want to see leave right now. Sure, he's a better player than anyone on our team right now. I give him that, but is he worth multiple stars? I wouldn't say that. IMHO Monta Ellis, Dirk Nowitzki, and Tyson Chandler are all untouchable. And who wants Chandler Parson's contract? It was devised so that it would be untradable.

Then there is Rondo. OKC does not need him. The only player the Thunder likely want from Dallas is Tyson Chandler.

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 02-18-2015 at 04:11 PM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goat offense, jameer nelson goat