Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-14-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
zanahale

zanahale is on a distinguished road
Default Chris Mihm? FA

I just saw an article from www.prosportsdaily.com nba rumours http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nba/lakers/rumors.html that LA might be interested in Chris Mihm. I just looked at his stats and they really arent too bad considering his limited playing time. If you compare him to Mark Blount (which just resigned) he averages more PPG, RPG, BPG in 48 minutes. He also beats Antoine Walker in most every category (not saying too much)...He is better then what we have now and he is 7' 265lbs. he is young and would come somewhat cheap. Of course we would have to do a sign and trade with Boston though. Him and DJ could split the rotation....at least it would be SOME kind of an upgrade. We need to get something at the center spot and there isn't much else to choose from. Why choose Dampier who is older and will want a 10mil/year contract or Zildrunas Ilgauskas (huge contract) when we can go cheap and still get a considerable upgrade....

zanahale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Chris Mihm? FA

Chris Mihm is an upgrade over who exactly?

He's a bum. A backup at best.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
zanahale

Default RE:Chris Mihm? FA

A upgade over Walker, Fortson, Najera, and even Bradley...would you liek for me to keep going.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Mihm is not an upgrade over Walker. As much as I hate Walker I will at least give him that. Mihm over Bradley? uh no.

Mihm doesn't equate to Najera really so I pass over that one. That leaves Fortson. I'd take Fort over Mihm (I just hate Fort's contract).
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
zanahale

Walker flat out SUCKS, FORTSON is 6 8" and cant defend cause he is too slow. Bradley falls down ever trip down the floor and gets dunked on by midgets...I'm not sure how you can base your decision. Just because he didnt play many minutes last year doesnt mean he isn't any good. We need a big body and I would take just about anyone that has has size, can rebound, and block some shots. I bet if he played 25 to 30 minutes, he could be pretty effective.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:43 AM   #6
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Actually guys...I tend to agree with Zanahale. Mihm has put a nice little career together - although he did suck early on. I think he would be a "minor" upgrade over what we've got going on right now (which is basically nothing.). Imagine if Raef never shot 3's and was a more competent low post denfender and rebounder...that is basically what Mihm is. I'd be all for it.

He'll give you 20 minutes, 5 or 6 points, 6 or 7 boards, and a couple of solid fouls.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:00 AM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Mihm is a Shawn Bradley "wanna be". He is a backup Center. We have one of those already in Bradley. He is too small (265) to be a banger, and slow to be an athletic shot blocking Center. The closest person to his game I have seen is Evan Eshmeyer. If you want Evan, you can get him cheaper than Mihm. If you are going this route, then at least get Ostertag...he is a step up from Mihm, IMO.

I would prefer the Big Z route. Big Z, Bradley, Benga, and PPod would be good enough for a few years.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

If the idea is to get a mediocre backup center, then Mihm is among about 30 guys you should consider. If the idea is to get a real NBA center that can anchor our defense for the next five years, Mihm is not the guy. If we aquire someone, I want it to be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. Mihm is a below average center in this league. Aquiring him isn't going to solve anything.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
zanahale

madape, who do you propose is a SIGNIFICANT center the mavs have a CHANCE to get?.....hence the word chance. I'd much rather have Dalemburt, Dampier, or even ilgauskas but it seemes like if we could have done something with them, we would have already done so. So who do you consider SIGNIFICANT that may be available?????
Old 07-14-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

zanahale- those guys that you mentioned are all significantly better than Mihm. This is day one for activity....give it a chance to play out. Last years big move was made the week before the season.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #11
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

The best option we have is just to keep signing young centers, and hope we get lucky......who know Mihm might wake up like Blount did this last year in Boston......I still would not say he is a better player than Walker, but if we can get him for cheap I would go for it.......I dont think we are going to be able to stumble on to an established top center, so we should focus on developing our own.....maybe DJ will do it, amybe not....we just have to keep trying

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:32 PM   #12
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Last years big move was made the week before the season.
And how did it make us better? Too early to tell until Walker is moved. But it did not help us last season.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:34 PM   #13
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
Actually guys...I tend to agree with Zanahale. Mihm has put a nice little career together - although he did suck early on. I think he would be a "minor" upgrade over what we've got going on right now (which is basically nothing.). Imagine if Raef never shot 3's and was a more competent low post denfender and rebounder...that is basically what Mihm is. I'd be all for it.

He'll give you 20 minutes, 5 or 6 points, 6 or 7 boards, and a couple of solid fouls.
If you can do a S&T for Fortson or Laettner, you would have to say that is an upgrade over we now have.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

We have five centers on our roster now that have an equal or greater chance of "waking up" as Mihm does. Bradley, Laettner, and Fortson have all proven themselves in the past to be better centers than Mihm. Podskolzine and MBenga aren't as good now, but both have bigger upside. If you want to carry a sixth center, go ahead. I think that's crazy, but I guess it improves the odds that at least ONE of them will show up. If you want to dump one of them to take on Mihm, you are going to have to convince me that Mihm is better than the one you dump. I don't think he's can help us next year better than either Laettner or Fortson. I don't think he can help us four years from now any better than MBenga or Pavel. If he can do either, it's only by the tiniest of margins.

The Mavericks have aquired crap-ass centers for years in the hopes that they will be at least marginally better than what they currently had. But that doesn't change the fact that Evan Eschmeyer, Calvin Booth, Hot Rod Williams, Danny Fortson, etc etc etc are still spares.

Mihm is a mediocre. If he were on this team we'd still have a team full of mediocre centers. Different year, same problem. Don't you want things to change? I'm getting sick and tired of trying to address our center position with spares. Aren't you?
Old 07-14-2004, 03:27 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Mihm is a good center, although the point is moot since we arent in the sweepstakes for him because of our fiscal situation and I wouldnt trade much for him. He'll definitely get paid more than he's worth.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:12 PM   #16
Redbug

Redbug is on a distinguished road

Cmon now....all these teasipper fans that keep bringing up former ut players need to be slapped out of their coma....it's almost as bad as thinking mack brown/greg davis might actually beat zero u one of these days.....

Regardless of meaningless numbers...Mihm can't carry Blount's jock....Mihm's a bigger spare than all the soft white boys the Mavs have trotted thru here the last dozen years....Antsey...Esch...the fabulous Bruno....on and on.....good thing Denver took shitzvilli....even though they're trying to unload him on the hapless nets.....

I think I'll pass on all that minor league ut talent.....
Redbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:18 PM   #17
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSPPPARE!
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #18
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Redbug
Cmon now....all these teasipper fans that keep bringing up former ut players need to be slapped out of their coma....it's almost as bad as thinking mack brown/greg davis might actually beat zero u one of these days.....

Regardless of meaningless numbers...Mihm can't carry Blount's jock....Mihm's a bigger spare than all the soft white boys the Mavs have trotted thru here the last dozen years....Antsey...Esch...the fabulous Bruno....on and on.....good thing Denver took shitzvilli....even though they're trying to unload him on the hapless nets.....

I think I'll pass on all that minor league ut talent.....
Is someone jealous of UT's basketball program?

I agree that UT doesn't put out a very good NBA ready product and Mihm is a good example but get over the hatred of the greatest sports school in the nation.