Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-23-2004, 05:05 AM   #1
zanahale

zanahale is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs, Magic talk trade

Mavs, Magic talk trade

By Art Garcia

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The Mavericks and Orlando are discussing a multiplayer deal that would include Magic power forward Drew Gooden, according to an NBA source. The Mavs' package would likely involve Jerry Stackhouse or Christian Laettner, both acquired in a trade with Washington last month.

Gooden, the fourth pick of the 2002 draft out of Kansas, has averaged 12.0 points and 6.5 rebounds over two seasons. Set to earn $3.2 million this season, Gooden began his career with Memphis before being traded midway through his rookie year.

Laettner, in the last year of his contract at $6.2 million, would provide salary-cap relief for the Magic after this season. Stackhouse, with three contract years remaining at $22.5 million, would give Orlando another scorer to team with newly acquired guard Steve Francis.

For the salaries to work in the proposed trade, the Magic would probably need to include veteran center Andrew DeClercq, who makes $2.8 million. Cleveland, Minnesota and Golden State reportedly also have shown interest in Gooden.

The Mavs also have discussed a sign-and-trade deal for Boston center Chris Mihm, a restricted free agent, but the deal appears unlikely because of salaries.
zanahale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2004, 05:24 AM   #2
arkuo

arkuo is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Mavs, Magic talk trade

finally... some real rumor to move stack and L8.. don't get me wrong, but i love to have gooden on the team.. finally, some useful pieces to get us back on track... i hope... seems like all west teams are improving with the exception of dallas... if that were to happen and the rumored walker to philly trade were to be pulled of, how would our team look like?

C- bradley / benga / fortson
PF- dirk / gooden
SF- finley / howard / robinson
SG- quis / korver
PG- harris / avery / stefansson

still need to get a center though... i hope cuban gets his way and lands VC and damp.. now were not gonna have a first round playoff exit.. thank God!!!
arkuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Mavs, Magic talk trade

The deal, as proposed, is terrible. I appreciate the attempt to get younger, but you don't give up an all-star type player like Stackhouse in the prime of his career and a servicable center with an expiring contract for a dissapointing soft big man and a pile of useless junk.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:20 AM   #4
Redbug

Redbug is on a distinguished road

I agree with madape......Gooden is S-O-F-T....a bit of a malcontent, not a TEAM PLAYER..., has a tendency to want to be a perimeter player instead of getting in there and mixing it up, he has TEAM CANCER & BUST written all over him....only way I'd take him is if it was to immediately ship him off to Cleveland or someplace else....

Mihm is a total waste of space...so we bring him in to battle for center minutes with Pavel, Fortson, & Najera....Behind Bradley, Dirk, L8, DJ????.....Mavs would be better off going and signing another summer league body......
Redbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:36 AM   #5
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Why should the Magic want Stackhouse? I see Mobley in the starting 2-spot and both are too small for the 3-spot.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #6
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Stackhouse can play the 3 in a pinch(he is listed at 6'6 and 218) and will spend some time at the 3 here if he stays.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

I think the deal would be Laettner for Gooden/DeClerq. That comes closest to matching salary-wise. Also, Magic are supposedly looking for a veteran front court player. Laettner fits that description better than Stack. Bonus is that Laettner has an expiring contract, clearing $6 million in salary for Magic.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:50 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I might be willing to talk about Kelvin Cato. I also like Britton Johnson.

Orlando does present an opportunity to trim down the roster. Abdul-Wahad, Fortson, and Delk's contracts combined look an awful lot like Grant Hill's. You would have to think that Magic management is tired of lugging that albatross around. Having three guys that can actually play might seem to them to be a breath of fresh air. If we can swap out three bad contracts for one, it would help us clear up some roster spots for some of these young guys.

Stackhouse, Laettner, TAW, Fortson, Delk
for
Hill, Gooden, Cato, Johnson

might make a little more sense than what is being proposed here
Old 07-23-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Is Stackhouse really in the prime of his career though? I would like to see what he has left before the Mavs try to trade him.

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
The deal, as proposed, is terrible. I appreciate the attempt to get younger, but you don't give up an all-star type player like Stackhouse in the prime of his career and a servicable center with an expiring contract for a dissapointing soft big man and a pile of useless junk.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:38 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
I think the deal would be Laettner for Gooden/DeClerq. That comes closest to matching salary-wise. Also, Magic are supposedly looking for a veteran front court player. Laettner fits that description better than Stack. Bonus is that Laettner has an expiring contract, clearing $6 million in salary for Magic.
Exactly. The FWST rumor is Laettner OR Stackhouse, not both. I'd trade Laettner for those two.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

Laettner for Declerq and Gooden is a deal you make 100 times out of 100.........I also like the deal Madape described, but it seems a little more out of the realm........

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

I misread the original article. A Laettner for Gooden trade does make sense.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: giantbenmav
Laettner for Declerq and Gooden is a deal you make 100 times out of 100.........I also like the deal Madape described, but it seems a little more out of the realm........
Absolutely. DeClerq's in the last year of his deal, and there's a team option on Gooden, so you aren't even losing the value of Laettner's expiring contract.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:44 AM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Then what do you do, include DeClerq in a package as trade filler or possibly straight up for a second rounder?

You could trade DeClerq, a second rounder and $3M to Charlotte for a second rounder. Charlotte keeps DeClerq or cuts him, making $700k on the deal. They make an additional million if DeClerq gets picked up by another team as a end of the bench center. Dallas saves almost $2M in luxury tax and moves up in the second round and gains a roster spot.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:17 AM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Clever maneuver, Dooby. Definitely one to look at.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #16
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Then what do you do, include DeClerq in a package as trade filler or possibly straight up for a second rounder?

You could trade DeClerq, a second rounder and $3M to Charlotte for a second rounder. Charlotte keeps DeClerq or cuts him, making $700k on the deal. They make an additional million if DeClerq gets picked up by another team as a end of the bench center. Dallas saves almost $2M in luxury tax and moves up in the second round and gains a roster spot.

I don't think Charlotte has second round picks for the next several years though. I believe they traded 2 of them for Ely. I am not sure if second round picks are similar to first round picks in that you can't trade consectutive picks. Even if you can't, the earliest second round pick they have would be '07.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:25 AM   #17
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Good idea... a win-win deal for both Dallas & Charlotte if that could be worked out. If not, since it's an expiring contract, they may also choose to keep him until trade deadline so he could be packaged in another trade.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:33 AM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting about trying to get Chris Mihm. He's a pretty servicable big. Shame that the salaries wouldn't match.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:47 AM   #19
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

i would not give up stackhouse he is better he would be like jamison i would'nt do this trade
Old 07-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #20
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
Quote:

I don't think Charlotte has second round picks for the next several years though. I believe they traded 2 of them for Ely. I am not sure if second round picks are similar to first round picks in that you can't trade consectutive picks. Even if you can't, the earliest second round pick they have would be '07.
I believe the "can't trade consectutive picks" only applies to the first round, but I may be wrong. I think SAC did it with Keon Clark to Utah trade.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #21
doggnutz

doggnutz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
I misread the original article. A Laettner for Gooden trade does make sense.
Gooden is gone to the Cavs in a trade today.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...home-headlines
doggnutz is offline   Reply With Quote