Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all
Default Darren Collison

Should the Mavs try to offer the Hornets financial relief in order to obtain Darren Collison? We could have a future back-court of Collison and Roddy B ... Collison gets an opportunity to learn from Jason Kidd after being tutored by Chris Paul.

The only thing is, I don't know what we could offer New Orleans (other than the Damp chip, which is reserved for other things ... though if NO is willing to deal Paul then that's a whole different story)
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zki41 View Post
Should the Mavs try to offer the Hornets financial relief in order to obtain Darren Collison? We could have a future back-court of Collison and Roddy B ... Collison gets an opportunity to learn from Jason Kidd after being tutored by Chris Paul.

The only thing is, I don't know what we could offer New Orleans (other than the Damp chip, which is reserved for other things ... though if NO is willing to deal Paul then that's a whole different story)
The only way NO even thinks about trading Collison unless we take on contracts of Posey or Peja

Last edited by mavs777; 04-08-2010 at 01:39 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

People need to stop this BS about learning from Kidd. You can learn from Kidd by watching him play. You can do that with films.You mostly learn though experience and playing in the game. Some players are not good teachers. Does anyone know if Kidd is a good teacher? Besides both Collison and Roddy are a different typle of point than Kidd. They have different body types and would be utilizing different skills. The best skills Kidd possesses are court sense and passing ability. They are an inate talent and really can't be taught. You have it or you don't. So stop this learn from Kidd mantra. One could say that they could play alongside Kidd and that would take some of the pressure off and give them time to develop. That would be legit. Collison is at the point now that he is ready to play and keeping him on the bench would be counterproductive. Roddy is different he is new to the game and needs all the time he can get.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do we want Collison if we have Kidd and Roddy?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
mavsfan2323

mavsfan2323 will become famous soon enoughmavsfan2323 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Why do we want Collison if we have Kidd and Roddy?
because kidd turns 64 next year

Greatest video ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmE3B-s8ow
Dirk- "I saw everything slipping away, the great season we had..."
mavsfan2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

So, I don't think it would be a bad idea if the Mavericks picked up: JOHN SALMONS & AL HARRINGTON They'll be Free Agents. So the line up would like this:

KIDD
SALMONS
MARION
NOWITZKI
HAYWOOD (PLEASE RESIGN HAYWOOD PLEASE)

BENCH:
BUTLER
TERRY
BEAUBOIS
STEPHENSON
HARRINGTON
Another Big Man
KINGBEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBEEF View Post
So, I don't think it would be a bad idea if the Mavericks picked up: JOHN SALMONS & AL HARRINGTON They'll be Free Agents. So the line up would like this:

KIDD
SALMONS
MARION
NOWITZKI
HAYWOOD (PLEASE RESIGN HAYWOOD PLEASE)

BENCH:
BUTLER
TERRY
BEAUBOIS
STEPHENSON
HARRINGTON
Another Big Man
Salmons = Less playing time for Roddy (which is unacceptable in my book)
Harrington = Chucker who plays no defense

I would be disappointed if Dallas got these guys...
Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
Salmons = Less playing time for Roddy (which is unacceptable in my book)
Harrington = Chucker who plays no defense

I would be disappointed if Dallas got these guys...
Roddy wouldn't get less playing time if he's taking Kidd out at the point.
Besides, looking at the rest of the FREE AGENTS, nothing else looks feasible
Old 05-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Roddy wouldn't get less playing time if he's taking Kidd out at the point.
Besides, looking at the rest of the FREE AGENTS, nothing else looks feasible
I don't mind Salmons as a player, but I don't see him as a huge upgrade over Butler. IMO, you would have to trade either Butler or Terry first for the Salmons signing to make sense.

[Personally, I would prefer a JET for Baron Davis swap where Davis plays as a backup to Kidd and Butler/Roddy play the 2...but that is a different story...]

Also, how are we going to sign both Harrington and Salmons? We are above the salary cap. All we get is an MLE. For now, our best bet is the DUST chip...
Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
KINGBEEF

Quote:
I don't mind Salmons as a player, but I don't see him as a huge upgrade over Butler. IMO, you would have to trade either Butler or Terry first for the Salmons signing to make sense.

[Personally, I would prefer a JET for Baron Davis swap where Davis plays as a backup to Kidd and Butler/Roddy play the 2...but that is a different story...]

Also, how are we going to sign both Harrington and Salmons? We are above the salary cap. All we get is an MLE. For now, our best bet is the DUST chip...
Damp's contract will be gone.

Baron Davis will not play for anyone, coming off the bench.

Now Roddy wouldn't mind coming off the bench for Kidd.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
Damp's contract will be gone.

Baron Davis will not play for anyone, coming off the bench.

Now Roddy wouldn't mind coming off the bench for Kidd.
Take a look,

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

Even if you take out Damp's $13 million we are still over the cap...

Btw, if Davis came to Dallas he wouldn't have a say over what his minutes would be. Carlisle will decide when he plays and he'll have to live with it. Personally, I think he would be happy to get away from the Clippers and to a contending team like Dallas. I guess that is just me...
Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
KINGBEEF

Quote:
Take a look,

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

Even if you take out Damp's $13 million we are still over the cap...

Btw, if Davis came to Dallas he wouldn't have a say over what his minutes would be. Carlisle will decide when he plays and he'll have to live with it. Personally, I think he would be happy to get away from the Clippers and to a contending team like Dallas. I guess that is just me...

hmm... due-ly noted. I was miss-informed about our salary cap.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #13
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Baron Davis wont play 100+ games in one season. Thats what you need for a ring.

And he will never play like 2007 again, dont overrate him.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 AM   #14
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Baron Davis wont play 100+ games in one season. Thats what you need for a ring.

And he will never play like 2007 again, dont overrate him.
Umm...I am not expecting anything spectacular from him nor would the Mavs need him to be spectacular. If he is a serviceable backup to Kidd that will be good enough.

Also, I am not implying that this move will make us ring worthy contenders. I only see it as a slight improvement (and it would move Roddy firmly into the 2 position - where I happen to think he belongs). The trade was JET for Davis. Hence we would still have our DUST chip and be in a position to get someone to make us real contenders...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Umm...I am not expecting anything spectacular from him nor would the Mavs need him to be spectacular. If he is a serviceable backup to Kidd that will be good enough.
You can end the conversation right there - Baron's ego isn't backing anyone up...

I agree with sefant77 - Mavs fans overrate Davis more than any other basketball fans because of what he did to us in that 2007 series. Fact is, that's the best stretch of basketball he's ever played in his career.

EDIT: plus, rumor has it that Cuban passed up a Kaman/Davis-for-Kidd trade because Davis was a deal-breaker...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-07-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You can end the conversation right there - Baron's ego isn't backing anyone up...

I agree with sefant77 - Mavs fans overrate Davis more than any other basketball fans because of what he did to us in that 2007 series. Fact is, that's the best stretch of basketball he's ever played in his career.

EDIT: plus, rumor has it that Cuban passed up a Kaman/Davis-for-Kidd trade because Davis was a deal-breaker...
Point taken. I guess that deal goes in the trash bin so to speak.

What do you think about these deals that SeriousSummer posted earlier? I think they are worth discussing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer View Post
Terry is clearly tradeable--he finished second in the sixth man of the year voting. I'm not sure you would get a lot of value for him, but you never know. Milwaukee brought back Stackhouse to act as its sixth man, Terry is much better (and more expensive).

You could trade Terry to Milwaukee for Gadzuric and Charlie Bell, or to Portland for Przybilla and Fernandez or probably to Chicago for Kirk Hinrich. There are probably a lot of other deals out there. It's just a matter of finding one that makes the Mavs better.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What do you think about these deals that SeriousSummer posted earlier? I think they are worth discussing...
First off, I'm against any lateral trades when it comes to JET - why risk chemistry at the expense of one of our more vocal "leaders"?

That pretty much eliminates Hinrich from the discussion.

Gadzuric/Bell doesn't interest me in the least. I'd rather have Damp back than play Gadzuric and I've never even heard of Charlie Bell (but I'd probably still take Stringer Bell over him!) We don't need to get rid of JET just to get rid of JET - he's still serviceable...

Przybilla/Fernandez is a little more interesting - you're getting a solid backup center in Przybilla and a promising young prospect in Fernandez. I'm not sure if that trade helps us "win now", but it would be worth exploring if we upgraded the 2 in a separate deal (JET becomes 100% expendable if acquire someone like Wade or Joe Johnson).

But I like the way Serious Summer is thinking... At least it's not all "get LeBron or Wade or trade Dirk!" - he's actually using his noodle to explore clever trade options...

EDIT: this thread should probably be merged with the 2010 Trade Targets thread at this point...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-07-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #18
KINGBEEF

Przybilla/Fernandez is a little more interesting - you're getting a solid backup center in Przybilla and a promising young prospect in Fernandez.

Now I like the sound of that!!!

Last edited by KINGBEEF; 05-07-2010 at 12:27 PM.