Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation The Official USC vs. Texas Rose Bowl Thread

It's a certainty at this point. Let the hype begin. This may be the most anticipated college football game ever.

I can't wait. As a fellow Big 12'er, I'd just like to say Go Horns!

Last edited by Drbio; 12-03-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

Longhorns will not be able to keep up with USC's spread offense. I don't see this one being particularly close, with USC pulling out a double digit victory. USC keeps the streak alive!
Old 12-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you honestly see USC being able to keep up with UT's offense? Vince Young may have 250 yards rushing.

In my opinion, UT's defense has a much better chance of slowing down USC's offense than USC has of slowing down Texas' offense. Let's just hope that UT can keep the mental mistakes to a minimum on offense..that'll be what gets them beat if they lose.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

I was hoping for Texas or USC to stumble giving PSU a chance to play for a NC, but I wish the longhorns good luck and I hope they win. Reggie Bush is the real deal, stopping him will be the key to the game.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

For 30 days analysts and sportswriters will pontificate, postulate, and denigrate the Longhorn's chances. Don't listen...

Turning the offense over to VY has set Mack free. Texas goes 4 deep at both the RB and WR positions. They routinely post 1-play, and 2-play, and 3-play drives. Meanwhile, Gene Chizik is damn good at executing his gameplan and making adjustments. He's got a stout bunch with senior leadership at all three levels. Their secondary will bend but won't break. Suprisingly the only glaring weakness over the course of the first few weeks - special teams - has morphed into yet another UT strength.

UT is loaded, but the difference for this year, for this team is focus. They maintain their composure in hostile environs - in uneasy situations - when the odds are against them. All will be the case come January 4.

Longhorns 37
Trojans 29
Old 12-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

USC by 2 TD's.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would set up better for UTs if it was the Os versus the Os and the Ds versus the Ds BUT I still think UT is in ok shape for this game. I think jamaal charles or ramonce taylor will come out of this game as a superstar. I hope its ramonce because I played him in a scrimmage in high school and I talked to him for a while afterwards and he is a good guy. Plus he is the fastest player in this game. Just had to throw that out there. He doesnt have the moves bush does but I would put money on him beating bush in a straight race. Charles nagging ankle should be healed.

This game isnt like Miami vs OSU a couple of years ago. Neither team just squeeks by every week. Both DOMINATE. USC lets some people stay in but they are still amazing. Leinart is in my opinion one of the most underappreciated guy in the country right now. Yes he has a TON of weapons which makes him look good but if they win this game he is the best qb in CFB history. He is the indespensable(sp?) member of this team. Not bush. Such an awesome matchup this should be. I just hope Uts O is on. They cant afford to have one of VYs turnover days.

That said if he is on I will give it to UT right now. They will NEVER lose a game that Vince is on. The team feeds off of him more than any team feeds off of one player in the country. Sweed will make a big catch in this game. Man Im hyped for this game. Im a tech student so I shouldnt care but Im a huge UT fan. Rodrique wright, the most talented defensive lineman in the country needs to be ready to cause havoc because that USC oline is just AMAZING. I thought UTs was the best but I dont know. This should be awesome.

All that said, my pick is..................................... UT by 10.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Man...how can you be a huge UT fan but go to Tech?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #9
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

Gene Chizik, I remember that guy.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I have been a UT fan since I was about 6. IF UT offered a degree in Chem E last year I would have been at UT. I know its odd. The 10 points thing, I dont think UT is 10 points better than USC. I think if they played 10 times it UT would win 5 or 6 of them. That said I think that is how the game will turn out.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Whether or not UT wins is too dependent on whether or not VY has a great game throwing the ball. I, for one, am not convinced he can do that on a consistent basis against great teams.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #12
Five-ofan
Guru

SC isnt a great defensive team and he doesnt have to be consistent, he has to do it for one game. Vy has been fine throwing the ball. I find it amazing that you consistently praise the sec teams with athletic qbs who dont throw as well as vy much less better.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:54 PM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Whether or not UT wins is too dependent on whether or not VY has a great game throwing the ball. I, for one, am not convinced he can do that on a consistent basis against great teams.
FWIW Vince Young ended the season with the highest passer rating in the nation.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:11 PM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

rep points from me

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:30 AM   #15
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Who was he passing against, though? Tech was the only team they faced that had a top 30 pass defense.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:52 AM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

You seem to think that Georgia and LSU would do fine against anyone and VY is a much better passer than either shockley or Russel. Russel is gonna be a beast though.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:10 AM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Who was he passing against, though? Tech was the only team they faced that had a top 30 pass defense.
1) SC's passing defense is ranked 77th in the nation in yards per game so I'm not sure why you think Vince would have such a hard time passing on them.

2) Matt Lienart and SC didn't face one top 30 pass defense the whole year but I imagine you still think he's a pretty good quarterback...
Old 12-06-2005, 03:40 AM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

People that finished the year ranked highly in passing wont have faced many Ds that finished the year ranked highly in passing D. Its just not possible. Only 1 or the other can have a good game stats wise and if you have to go up against the other too much either the passers stats will come down or the Ds will. Both a pass D and a QB cant have a great game stats wise against each other in the same game.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #19
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

about USC'd weak pass D,
they played 8 of the top 25 passing teams
Texas played 1.
So stats in this matchup are pointless, because they played such different teams
Old 12-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211
about USC'd weak pass D,
they played 8 of the top 25 passing teams
Texas played 1.
So stats in this matchup are pointless, because they played such different teams
They're 4th in the Pac-10 so they're not even an elite pass defense when judged against their peers.

I'll pose the question to you: what have you seen from either team that would lead you to believe that Vince can't throw the ball effectively against SC?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #21
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I haven't watched but maybe 3 or 4 UT games this year, but a lot of the yards and TD's he's racked up through the aircan not only be attributed to inferior talent, but poorly coached defenses. There's no telling how many times VY took a 3 step drop and just lobbed it up to a receiver who was being single covered. So much of that single coverage can be attributed to trying to keep as many people in the box as possible because UT's OLine is so good...especially when compared to most of the teams they've played's dlines. I don't think you'll see much man coverage from USC.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

...well then Vince and his backs will run for 300 yards...you have to give up something. I'd actually prefer this because it'll keep the ball out of Lienart's hands.

As someone that's watched Matt Jones the last four years, you have to know the pressure that a running quarterback puts on a defense. If SC has their safeties and LB's sit back in coverage, Vince can go for 60 at any time. You're almost forced to spy him on every play.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

It would be awesome if they sit back. Charles should be healthy by the times bowl season runs around. With him taylor and vince if they sit back they will be in alot of trouble. BTW UTs oline is ALOT better than SCs Dline.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:34 AM   #24
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
For 30 days analysts and sportswriters will pontificate, postulate, and denigrate the Longhorn's chances. Don't listen...

Turning the offense over to VY has set Mack free. Texas goes 4 deep at both the RB and WR positions. They routinely post 1-play, and 2-play, and 3-play drives. Meanwhile, Gene Chizik is damn good at executing his gameplan and making adjustments. He's got a stout bunch with senior leadership at all three levels. Their secondary will bend but won't break. Suprisingly the only glaring weakness over the course of the first few weeks - special teams - has morphed into yet another UT strength.

UT is loaded, but the difference for this year, for this team is focus. They maintain their composure in hostile environs - in uneasy situations - when the odds are against them. All will be the case come January 4.

Longhorns 37
Trojans 29
What he said...
Old 01-05-2006, 02:43 AM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

This was almost too easy.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #26
Five-ofan
Guru

Vince effing Young.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure the Texas kicker actually made that extra point. I watched it frame-by-frame several times. That, and the fact that they somehow didn't call that interception on the goal line an interception when it CLEARLY was, and other things as well, had me wondering if there wasn't an officiating conspiracy going on. I just don't know how it's possible to miss some of those calls.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #28
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure the Texas kicker actually made that extra point. I watched it frame-by-frame several times. That, and the fact that they somehow didn't call that interception on the goal line an interception when it CLEARLY was, and other things as well, had me wondering if there wasn't an officiating conspiracy going on. I just don't know how it's possible to miss some of those calls.
calling a facemask on the 3rd and 12 play and missing young's knee being down on the lateral pass for a TD, makes me think there wasn't any conspiracy going on there.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Young was amazing. Congrats to our sister Big 12 institution. Way to represent fellas!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

That facemask should have been tackling by the facemask and not incidental but no biggy.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #31
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

aex, are you saying the facemask should not have been called? that it wasn't a facemask? it clearly was.

now, the knee-down-lateral was obviously a blown call, but the facemask was legitimate.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-06-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote