Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-28-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default Hinrich

OK- I know I'm about to get tarred and feathered for proposing this trade. And, I know that we would be way overpaying...but, sometimes you've got to give alot to get something of value. I think Hinrich is a young Nash-esque player. We didn't want to pay Nash b/c the length of the contract - but if you could have paid (in players, not cash) and gotten a younger Nash?

Dallas trades: PG Jason Terry (9.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 3.6 apg in 24.5 minutes)
SG Jerry Stackhouse (14.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.4 apg in 29.9 minutes)
PG Devin Harris (6.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 2.5 apg in 18.8 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Antonio Davis (5.7 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 24.1 minutes)
SG Eric Piatkowski (4.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.9 apg in 13.2 minutes)
PG Kirk Hinrich (15.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.7 apg in 36.3 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -5.6 ppg, +3.3 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

Chicago trades: PF Antonio Davis (5.7 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.0 apg in 24.1 minutes)
SG Eric Piatkowski (4.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.9 apg in 13.2 minutes)
PG Kirk Hinrich (15.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.7 apg in 36.3 minutes)
Chicago receives: PG Jason Terry (9.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 3.6 apg in 24.5 minutes)
SG Jerry Stackhouse (14.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.4 apg in 29.9 minutes)
PG Devin Harris (6.8 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 2.5 apg in 18.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +5.6 ppg, -3.3 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and Chicago being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and Chicago had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Dallas: gets the PG they desperately need. Get's more depth at PF - behind the fragile Hendu. Also, clears bottleneck at sg.

Chicago: Gives up a premiere young PG- but brings in another young star (yet unrefined) at PG plus 2 all-star caliber (in the leastern conference) players in Terry and Stack - who have put up great numbers in the East. Harris would also probably be a fan favorite since he played college ball nearby. They also clear a ton of salary cap space in Antonio Davis.

Let the t&f begin.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:05 PM   #2
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Hinrich

I dunno, Harris is as strong a prospect as Hinrich was last year. The difference? Kirk got huge minutes cause the bulls SUCK. If we want Devin to be a stud by next year (Hinrich isn't quite a stud but solid nonetheless), then all we'd have to do is throw him to the wolves, watch our season get worse etc...

Dunno if I like the trade, I am a fan of Hinrich though.
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of
Default RE:Hinrich

I don't see the point in this trade at all.

Nash-esque player? 6,7 assists in 36,3 minutes is nothing compared to the 11,2 assists, in 34,6 minutes which Nash averages.

Jason Terry has had 13 point, 4,3 rebounds, 4,8 assists and 2,25 steals per game since he is starting. And he did all that in 27,2 minutes while averaging 57,1% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc.

Kirk Hinrich is shooting 38,9% from the field and 34,6% from beyond the arc. And in 36,3 minutes he has 15 points, 3,8 rebounds, 6,7 assists and 1,3 steals.

Jason Terry will be just fine, if you give him some PT.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

hinrich is a franchise cornerstone for chicago

any trade offers for him will receive a response of "dream on"
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

If they were to reject that offer, they'd be pretty stupid...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Old 12-28-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

I think it is too much to give up, because Harris has potential to be as good or better than Hinrich. And to throw in two guys that are solid contibuters (one of them is a starter) would be overpaying too much.

PS- Arne..... stop using commas as decimal points
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #7
Arne
Golden Member

Sorry, forgot...
But is it really irritating you that much?

Old 12-28-2004, 03:52 PM   #8
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Nash-esque player? 6,7 assists in 36,3 minutes is nothing compared to the 11,2 assists, in 34,6 minutes which Nash averages.
I submit to you that if Hinrich were the PG at PHX his numbers would improve dramatically...I'd also suggest that if Nash were the PG at CHI his numbers would drop dramatically.

Hinirch is a stud. Quickly becoming a proven commodity. He gives you a chance this year.

Hinrich/ Armstrong
Fin/ Daniels
JHo/ Daniels/ Pietkowski
Dirk/ Davis
Dampier/ Bradley/ Booth/ Davis

I like it.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #9
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I think Hinrich is that teams best player. I'd love to see him in a Mavs Uni. However, I just don't see it happening unless the management in Chicago is really stupid. Oh, wait it is.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:18 PM   #10
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: GP
I think Hinrich is that teams best player. I'd love to see him in a Mavs Uni. However, I just don't see it happening unless the management in Chicago is really stupid. Oh, wait it is.
exactly. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2004, 04:20 PM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I like Hinrich, but I don't like this trade.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:03 PM   #12
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

I think it would take Daniels to get Hinrich. My thinking being that the Bulls would want a young big gaurd with passing abilities to pair with Gordon in the back court.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:31 AM   #13
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I like Hinrich as well, but we are giving up way too much to acquire him. Harris may one day be the best point guard in the league. Terry has improved his play every week as a mav. I want to see this team gel.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:40 AM   #14
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Harris may one day be the best point guard in the league
The same things were said about TJ Ford a year ago...he may...he may not. It's up to him...I think we'd all be overjoyed if Harris were playing at Hinrich's level this time next year.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:19 AM   #15
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

I would not make that trade. To me, Harris and Hinrich are even in potential (even though Hinrich is clearly farther along at this point). Then the rest of the trade, Stackhouse/Terry for Davis/Piat is awful for the Mavs.

Does CHI want to move Gordon to the point? If so, a MDaniels-Hinrich trade, offering them a big guard to pair with Gordon, makes sense to me. Daniels for Hinrich/Piatkowski works capwise but Chi would want more. So this is like your original trade on the CHI end, but a bit more balanced in talent I think.

CHI trades Davis, Hinrich, Piatkowski
DAL trades Booth, Daniels, Terry

The numbers work, and there is something in there for both sides, I think - providing CHI would be willing to move Hinrich. That is a huge "if" however.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:28 AM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
Quote:
Harris may one day be the best point guard in the league
The same things were said about TJ Ford a year ago...he may...he may not. It's up to him...I think we'd all be overjoyed if Harris were playing at Hinrich's level this time next year.
Re: Harris, I like a lot of what I see from him, but it seems to me that the great point guards are able to distribute the ball from Day 1, and that it's NOT that dependent on experience.

Harris certainly doesn't have the numbers to suggest Great Point Guard visision, and from what I've seen of him in a half dozen games, there's not much reason to think he's going to be a great passer either. He's capable of the spectacular play, but he doesn't look like a player who's going to get you 8 assists a game, night-in, night-out.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:04 AM   #17
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

...cause he lacks a mentor. That's why the Mavs can't build for the future, on star-potential young players -with the exception of the eternal exception, Dirk, which, btw, had to have an external mentor; they end traded if they can't develop quick by themselves. Not different than with most NBA teams, but here is remarkable.

At least the last five years.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #18
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Hinrich looks like an all-star for years to come. I hope Harris becomes just as good. I watched the Bulls play a couple of times and if they keep that team in tact and develop some ability to work together as a team they will be very scary in the future. I don't know what they are trying to accomplish with Skiles but I don't think it is working yet. Hinrich is a fabulous player. He put on a show when I was watching the New Jersey game (Mavs were killing Boston at the time). He'd be worth shipping Daniels out for; however, Chicago already has young athletic players that are going to be exceptional: Gordon, Deng.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:13 PM   #19
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
I would not make that trade. To me, Harris and Hinrich are even in potential (even though Hinrich is clearly farther along at this point). Then the rest of the trade, Stackhouse/Terry for Davis/Piat is awful for the Mavs.

Does CHI want to move Gordon to the point? If so, a MDaniels-Hinrich trade, offering them a big guard to pair with Gordon, makes sense to me. Daniels for Hinrich/Piatkowski works capwise but Chi would want more. So this is like your original trade on the CHI end, but a bit more balanced in talent I think.

CHI trades Davis, Hinrich, Piatkowski
DAL trades Booth, Daniels, Terry

The numbers work, and there is something in there for both sides, I think - providing CHI would be willing to move Hinrich. That is a huge "if" however.
I think Daniels/Henderson/Armstrong for Hinrich/Davis might make more sense for both teams. It would give the mavs a big expiring contract for next year to go along with Terry's, and give the bulls about 10mil in cap relief this year which would put their total payroll at around 20mil. That's alot of money they could use to sign some vets to go along with their youth.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:04 AM   #20
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

I'd love to see what he can do.