Old 08-09-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
Finley4ever

Finley4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Rockets sign Sura, Ward

Link

Rockets sign point guards Ward, Sura
By RICHARD JUSTICE
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets today filled their void at point guard with the signing of free agents Charlie Ward and Bob Sura.

Since the trade of Steve Francis to Orlando and the Tracy McGrady deal, the Rockets have been shopping for a starting point guard.

Today they got two of them. Ward and Sura will compete with veteran Tyronn Lue, who was also aquired from Orlando, for playing time.

The Rockets made inquiries about a number of other guards including Brent Barry and Derek Fisher.

In Ward, they are getting a near perect extension of coach Jeff Van Gundy. Ward played for Van Gundy with the New York Knicks, and the coach has long held him in high regard.
Finley4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default RE:Rockets sign Sura, Ward

Good pick up in Sura...

The Rockets are going to be good.

Really, really good.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

The Ward signing makes alot of sense. Sura will be able to play both guard spots off the bench and he can hit a 3 so this is a good signing as well.
The West just keeps getting a little tougher but at least the MONSTER moved to South Beach.
The Lakers and Kings should be coming down while the T'wolves look to repeat their first really good season. SA with Barry added to the mix should be as tough as ever. Denver has improved greatly and Utah should be better if all the new guys can buy into Sloan's system. NO moved into a tough spot and they added Birdman but little else. Phoenix looks to be a serious player in the Pacific with LA and Sac falling.

...And there are still 2 1/2 months till the season starts.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rockets sign Sura, Ward

Sura is a really nice signing for them. I doubt Ward can beat Lue out for minutes.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Both signings were great for the Rockets if for nothing else they added a little depth. This is going to be a fun and competitive season

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:06 PM   #6
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Honestly, should we be surprised that "Cholie Wahd" was signed by a team coached by Jeff Van Gundy?

Nah....these two practically are in love with each other.

There is supposed to be a press conference later today. I wonder who will be wearing the wedding dress.....a la "The Ditka/Ricky Williams marriage thing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

But I did like what H-Town did here.

Instead of blowing all of there money on overpaying a "supposed-to-be-marquee" PG like Derek Fisher, they instead saved the money and signed two decent PG's, filling the hole in there team and adding depth at the position all at the same time. Even though these two PG's are basicaly in the catagory of "best of what's left," this added depth could be there saving grace. Also, Sura could also serve as a decent backup for T-Mac at the 2 as well.

Old 08-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

oooooh....I like the Sura signing. Houston's roster is shaping up very nicely.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Probably about the best the Rockets could have hoped for, I suppose. I'm still waiting to see with them, though. They've got arguably the second best center and the second best G/F in the game, but they're hurting for depth at center, and don't really have a bonafide starter at either point guard or power forward.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

If they acquire Mutombo as has been reported, they'll be fixing the center depth thing shortly. Their PFs are lacking defensively and on the boards, but they can score.

Sura and Lue isn't all world, but Sura's better than a lot of people think. That's a solid PG combo.

I hate to say it, I really do, but the Rockets are going to be a tough win next year.

Old 08-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #10
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

They are looking good right now, but will Tmac be able to do what steve francis couldnt... let yoa be the #1 option. I think they will be an intersting team to watch because they will have a lot of new parts.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:55 AM   #11
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

T-MAC couldn't get it done in Toronto and Orlando. Maybe the fact that Houston ends in N means that he has a better chance.

T-Mac show me the money, until then you are all talk and no substance!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #12
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
T-MAC couldn't get it done in Toronto
....Cause he was straight out of high school and had yet to have his game mature. If he was in Toronto now, with a healthy Vince Carter, the Raps would get a lot of things done.

Quote:
and Orlando.
....Cause the dude just had no help period. I dont care what anyone says here.....this dude literally had to carry his team every night. He put together strings of 40 point game streaks, and yet his team still couldnt win cause he had no supporting cast.

I guarantee you this.....put any player (Dirk, Kobe, CWebb etc..) in the situation T-Mac was in last season and the results would be exactly the same.

The only player that would produce different winning results for this team is the MDE himself, Shaq.

Quote:
Maybe the fact that Houston ends in N means that he has a better chance.
....Or maybe its the fact that H-Town has some 7'6" Chinese dude with a lot of upside.

Honestly, if he went there cause the city's name ends with "N," why didnt he go to Bosto"N?"

How bout Sa"N" A"N"to"N"io ....plenty enough "N's" there.

Or Maybe "N"ew Orlea"N"s........

I"N"dia"N"a....

Quote:
T-Mac show me the money, until then you are all talk and no substance!
Funny thing is this guy doesnt really do a lot of talkin......and yet he's the easily one the "Top 5" players in the NBA....exactly the opposite of what you claim him to be.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:26 PM   #13
Finley4ever

Finley4ever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Funny thing is this guy doesnt really do a lot of talkin......and yet he's the easily one the "Top 5" players in the NBA....exactly the opposite of what you claim him to be.
Well, 2 years ago in the first round of the playoffs against the Pistons, he was doing some talkin. When the Magic were up 3-1 he talked about how great it was to finally get to the second round. Then he proceeded to lead his team to three straight losses to lose the series. What a great leader. [img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]
Finley4ever is offline   Reply With Quote