Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 04-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2010 Trade targets

Trade targets for the summer beside MLE/Dust FA.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Andre Iguodala - 4 years 55mio left

Good defender, size, slasher, good passing skillz to pair him with Roddy in the backcourt. Roddy fulltime backup #1 and #2

I think Sixers are ready to trade him for expirings. Terry+Stevenson would be a dream.

Kidd/Roddy
Iggy/Roddy
Butler/Marion
Dirk/Marion
Hay

Last edited by sefant77; 04-29-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
sefant77
Guru

Al Jefferson - 3/43 left

Coming from a bad season, injuries plagued, doesnt work good with Kevin Love together.

Buy low candidade for his quality.

Last edited by sefant77; 04-29-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

I think we should go for Joe Johnson. He's probably the most realistic option we have in terms of getting a star via free agency.

Atlanta is a cheap team, they probably won't ask for too much in a sign and trade. Atlanta may not even make it out of the first round, I don't think Johnson will stick around.

Of course, I would say LeBron and Wade would be the best two choices.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
satrekker

satrekker will become famous soon enough

I think Joe Johnson is realistic, and a very nice fit. He's not D Wade, but he is very, very good.
satrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
Strokepod

Strokepod is on a distinguished road

Joe Johnson will go to NYC if Lebron doesn't. If Lebron does, he still might be the second player they target. Detroit was reportedly shopping Ben Gordon last season, I think his skill set would fit in, and his contract is two years longer than Terry's.
Strokepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Some names I'm throwing out -

Gerald Wallace: If we want a strong rebounder/slasher/finisher. Also very good efficiency.

Gilbert Arenas: If we want to take a HUGE gamble on a scorer.

Monta Ellis: A smaller gamble than Arenas, but we already have Roddy.

Andre Iguodala: If we want a more well rounded player, but not a superstar.

Corey Maggette: A pure slasher who gets to the line.

Kevin Martin: He is a great scorer that doesn't seem to be working out in Houston.

EDIT: I know most of these guys are NOT shooting guards, just pure scorers/slashers.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.

Last edited by bcrav4; 04-30-2010 at 09:59 AM.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

1. Terry, Marion & Stevenson for Deng and Hinrich;
2. Haywood (S&T) for Al Jefferson; and
3. Dampier & No. 1 Draft Choice for David Lee (S&T).

Chicago realizes significant cost savings, and gets back useful players. Minnesota trades Jefferson, who doesn't work with Love for a center that should (may take including someone else to make the numbers work), and New York picks up a No. 1 draft choice at no cost for a player it wasn't going to keep anyway.

Dallas restructures its team:

PG--Kidd, Hinrich, Barea Now Kidd's minutes can be cut to something reasonable
SG--Beaubois, Carroll But most of the minutes go to a 3 guard rotation of
Kidd, Hinrich & Beaubois or going big Deng or Butler
SF--Butler, Deng
PF--Dirk
C--Jefferson, Lee Once again three players split time: Dirk, Lee & Jefferson

Now resign Damp, when he's cut, or Tim Thomas or Najera or a couple of other scrub bigs and Dallas is good to go.

The logic here is that Beaubois needs to play with a relatively big point or combo guard so that he can guard the point on defense and doesn't have primary ball handling responsibilities.

Dirk needs to play with a center who can score. In fact, if Kidd is still playing substantial minutes, then everyone else on the floor needs to be able to score--so no Damp, Haywood or Marion.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Enough with the small guards and ellis isn't a great player in the half court and horrific defensivly, I want a 2 guard with size that can do it all slash, shoot, and defend. The obvious exception is dwade when it comes to size but he is taller than ellis. I want d wade or Joe johnson, get terry out of here and make booby the 6th man
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer View Post

Chicago realizes significant cost savings, and gets back useful players. Minnesota trades Jefferson, who doesn't work with Love for a center that should (may take including someone else to make the numbers work), and New York picks up a No. 1 draft choice at no cost for a player it wasn't going to keep anyway.

SF--Butler, Deng
PF--Dirk

Now resign Damp, when he's cut, or Tim Thomas or Najera or a couple of other scrub bigs and Dallas is good to go.

The logic here is that Beaubois needs to play with a relatively big point or combo guard so that he can guard the point on defense and doesn't have primary ball handling responsibilities.

Dirk needs to play with a center who can score. In fact, if Kidd is still playing substantial minutes, then everyone else on the floor needs to be able to score--so no Damp, Haywood or Marion.
I could only hope the Mavs could pull off something this auspicious.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

I am not sure I want Jefferson.

1) He is undersized for a center (which is why Minnesota plays PF) has a bad injury history. He is good in the post though

2) I think between Al Jefferson and Kevin Love, Minnesota wants to keep Jefferson (which of course, they are idiots because Love is a lot better, but hey, this is the GM that drafted Ricky Rubio who will probably never play a minute for the Wolves). This is evident from the fact that the Wolves started Darko Milicic so that Jefferson could play PF, and banished Love to the bench, even though in my opinion he is the best player on that time. They know Jefferson and Love cannot coexist ... but it seems Love is the one they'd rather move.

Jefferson isn't a true center anyway. I'm tired of having undersized people play center, and David Lee and Jefferson would be two examples of that. I'm also tired of short players in general.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer View Post

SF--Butler, Deng
PF--Dirk

Jefferson is extremely overrated, Minnessotta was worse offensively when he was on the floor as well as defensivly: http://www.82games.com/0910/09MIN12.HTM also he is a true 4 and better at the 4. Lee plays poor defense, no thank you. I wouldn't mind Ben Wallace here to back up Haywood after the Dust chip trade
Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

If we want a 7 footer, who can score, it's going to be either revisiting Gortat, or going after Kaman, Okur, Shaq or Jermaine O'Neal.

And FYI, Haywood was actually 17th in scoring among centers during the regular season at 9.1ppg.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #14
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4 View Post
If we want a 7 footer, who can score, it's going to be either revisiting Gortat, or going after Kaman, Okur, Shaq or Jermaine O'Neal.

And FYI, Haywood was actually 17th in scoring among centers during the regular season at 9.1ppg.
shaq or jermaine oneal?? this aint the 90s again.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:05 AM   #15
two2er

two2er is on a distinguished road

Why doesn't Cuban go after Yao Ming? He's the perfect fit playing along side Dirk. For all these years, the Mavericks have had great point guards in Steve Nash, DH, JK, very good two guards in Jason Terry, J.S., borderline all-star like Howard, Buter. They have Dirk at four. One thing they never had is a good to great center, a post threat, or a guy who can change a lot of shots. Yao was all of those things.
All those post season failures show one major flaw with these mavs on offense, they don't have a post up option on the low block. When things go tough, they don't have someone who can get the ball deep in the post and make high percentage shots. They have been a "jump shooting team"(courtesy of R.C.) for years. That's why they always have trouble with stingy defense imposed by teams like the Spurs.
Yao was considered by some to be the best center in the league before he went down with an injury. He was killing teams with his shooting in the paint area. The only thing that hindered him is that the fronting defense prevent him from getting the ball sometimes. To solve that problem, he needs a tall guy to pass him the ball. Dirk can be that guy and the fronting defense will be neutralized.
On defense, Yao's sheer size will be a problem for any one who wishes to get around him. He's a decent shot block, good rebounder and honed his defensive skills under coach Jeff Van Gundy.
Yao likes to play in the paint and Dirk favors the area outside. So there will be no conflict in playing style with these two. You plug in some decent guards and small forwards. The team is set to be a championship contender for a few years.
Yao was an underachiever in Houston. Last season he led the team past the first round and gave fits to the Lakers in the second. Without him, the rest of team didn't make the playoffs. He's a restricted free agent this off-season. Words have it that Owner of the Rockets don't like Yao much even he likes all the money generated by him. He said something like "our team is finally fun to watch after eight years (since Yao joined)" at the beginning of the season. Yao certainly knows what's going on. So, parting ways isn't totally out of question.
The only thing that might hinders one from making the pitch is injury concerns. Yao just had foot surgery and is projected to play 25 minutes per game next season. But no risks, no rewards. If Yao is playing like an all-star again, there will on chance to get him. D.wade is good. Lebron is great. Chis Bosh is more realistic (to get). But do you really thing Chis Bosh is better than Yao? Dirk and Bosh, or Dirk and Yao, which combo do you prefer?
two2er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:40 AM   #16
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all

Yao would be the perfect compliment for Dirk. But how in the world are the Mavs going to get him? I don't see it happening...
Old 05-01-2010, 04:07 AM   #17
two2er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
Yao would be the perfect compliment for Dirk. But how in the world are the Mavs going to get him? I don't see it happening...
Yao is a restricted free agent. He wants a long term contract secured this summer due to concerns about the expiring collective bargaining agreement in the NBA(or something like that). The Rockets top brass doesn't appreciate him much as a player (maybe he's not very athletic), which might lead to him wanting to leave. Besides, it's not too much a fuss for him to relocate to Dallas.
Not saying that it's easily done, but certainly not impossible. By the way, who had ever thought the Lakers getting Pau Gaso?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #18
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about Yao as well. I think he has a player option at around $17 million for next year. If he exercises that option, and Houston decides they don't want to pay him that, we could swap them Damp & Barea for Yao. They then cut Damp and end up $10MM or more under the cap.

BUT

Does Yao win us a championship? How far has he carried Houston? He's always hurt, and he can't run--which means having him on a team quarterbacked by J-Kidd is just silly.

I think Haywood is just fine as our starting C. The 2 spot is where we need help, desperately. Gotta go for D-Wade.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #19
two2er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
I thought about Yao as well. I think he has a player option at around $17 million for next year. If he exercises that option, and Houston decides they don't want to pay him that, we could swap them Damp & Barea for Yao. They then cut Damp and end up $10MM or more under the cap.

BUT

Does Yao win us a championship? How far has he carried Houston? He's always hurt, and he can't run--which means having him on a team quarterbacked by J-Kidd is just silly.

I think Haywood is just fine as our starting C. The 2 spot is where we need help, desperately. Gotta go for D-Wade.
Come on. If Yao's value is Dampier plus Barea. There's no point in doing that in the first place. Likewise, if Yao is here only to fit into J-kidd's style of playing not otherwise, there's no point in having him.
Haywood is a decent center but Yao is miles better than him. An upgrade at 2 is always a good thing. But what this team needs most is a great post scorer who can contribute whey points are hard to come by. And maybe also, a younger point guard.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #20
two2er

Quote:
and he can't run--which means having him on a team quarterbacked by J-Kidd is just silly.
One more thing. It's time everyone stops the obsession with the running game. It's definitely fun to watch and can get you a lot of wins in the regular season. But it's not the winning formula come the post season. When the opposing team tightens their defense, running will become moot. Nellie tried it. The suns have done it repeatedly and brilliantly. But none comes to fruition. The best result was actually achieved under the little general. I bet R.C. isn't a big fan of running either. But he's obliged to do that out of requests of his players. In order to win, this team needs to add a little grind it out type of players, not otherwise. That is to say, with the goal of winning the trophy in mind.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2er View Post
Yao is a restricted free agent. He wants a long term contract secured this summer due to concerns about the expiring collective bargaining agreement in the NBA(or something like that). The Rockets top brass doesn't appreciate him much as a player (maybe he's not very athletic), which might lead to him wanting to leave. Besides, it's not too much a fuss for him to relocate to Dallas.
Not saying that it's easily done, but certainly not impossible. By the way, who had ever thought the Lakers getting Pau Gaso?
1. The Rockets top brass will never let Yao go. They make too much money off of him.

2. I haven't seen any indication that Yao wants to leave Houston.

3. Personnel-wise, Houston needs Yao more desperately than Dallas or any other NBA team. The Rockets had a 6'6 center starting last year which amounted an open invitation for others to score in the paint. I watched the games, it wasn't pretty.

Yao coming to Dallas is about as silly as Rocket fans thinking that Cuban will let Dirk come to Houston. Frankly I can't find a single reason why Yao would want to leave Houston. Even if Yao did opt out, I believe the Rocket's top brass would suck it up and pay him.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #22
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Come on. If Yao's value is Dampier plus Barea. There's no point in doing that in the first place. Likewise, if Yao is here only to fit into J-kidd's style of playing not otherwise, there's no point in having him.
Haywood is a decent center but Yao is miles better than him. An upgrade at 2 is always a good thing. But what this team needs most is a great post scorer who can contribute whey points are hard to come by. And maybe also, a younger point guard.
Ok, did you not say two posts earlier that the Rockets' brass doesn't appreciate Yao? His "value" isn't Damp & Barea on the court--his "value," in that trade idea, is that by doing that deal, the Rockets get out of having to pay him. Period.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
1. The Rockets top brass will never let Yao go. They make too much money off of him.

3. Personnel-wise, Houston needs Yao more desperately than Dallas or any other NBA team. The Rockets had a 6'6 center starting last year which amounted an open invitation for others to score in the paint. I watched the games, it wasn't pretty.

Yao coming to Dallas is about as silly as Rocket fans thinking that Cuban will let Dirk come to Houston. Frankly I can't find a single reason why Yao would want to leave Houston. Even if Yao did opt out, I believe the Rocket's top brass would suck it up and pay him.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...-agency-waters
Old 05-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #24
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
I saw this article a while back - its nothing new. It is a possibility that he opts out to sign a long term deal with Houston before the CBA expires. Like I said before, Houston is going to outbid everyone else when it comes to Yao. He is the face of the franchise and is a player Houston DESPERATELY needs personnel-wise. Les Alexander has already made it clear he is more than willing to pay whatever luxury tax is needed to make this team a contender. I don't see that as an issue either...
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #25
two2er

Quote:
Ok, did you not say two posts earlier that the Rockets' brass doesn't appreciate Yao? His "value" isn't Damp & Barea on the court--his "value," in that trade idea, is that by doing that deal, the Rockets get out of having to pay him. Period.
Someone not being appreciated by his or her boss doesn't equate to him or her being of low value. The Rockets are very appreciative of what Trevor Ariza did for the team. That doesn't mean they can trade him for Dirk Nowitzky.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #26
sefant77
Guru

Championship = playing over 100 games

Yao = will play maybe the half...

No thanks. Yao is great WHEN healthy, but he isnt.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #27
mavs777
Diamond Member

what do you guys think of Josh Howard?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #28
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Someone not being appreciated by his or her boss doesn't equate to him or her being of low value. The Rockets are very appreciative of what Trevor Ariza did for the team. That doesn't mean they can trade him for Dirk Nowitzky.
I don't know who the hell Dirk Nowitzky is...but thanks for playing. Douche.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #29
two2er

Quote:
I don't know who the hell Dirk Nowitzky is...but thanks for playing. Douche.
Fixating on a typo just shows your inability to have a reasonable argument. So far, you have shown two things: lack of basketball knowledge esp. as far as wining a title is concerned and your tendency to lose your disgusting temper. You need anger management. Discussing anything with you is pointless.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
Zki41

Houston will get money off of having Yao on the roster (selling tickets, China, etc.), but I do not think they will ever win with Yao. Houston right now has a lot of athleticism and does well when they push the tempo. By having Yao, they got bogged in the half court, and it reduces the effectiveness of players like Brooks.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #31
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zki41 View Post
Houston will get money off of having Yao on the roster (selling tickets, China, etc.), but I do not think they will ever win with Yao. Houston right now has a lot of athleticism and does well when they push the tempo. By having Yao, they got bogged in the half court, and it reduces the effectiveness of players like Brooks.
I can assure Houston won't get "bogged" in the half court next year. Yao is the best scoring center in the NBA. And with Houston having Scola, Ariza, Martin, Brooks, anyone who doubles and/or fronts Yao will get burned...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
I can assure Houston won't get "bogged" in the half court next year. Yao is the best scoring center in the NBA. And with Houston having Scola, Ariza, Martin, Brooks, anyone who doubles and/or fronts Yao will get burned...
Yao was the best scoring center no one knows how he will play after the serious injury. Of those 5 players you named, 3 are much better players on the break Ariza and Brooks are electric in transition and Scola is a great filler on the break as he is much quicker than most bigs. Houston should be good offensively but bad next year, Yao probably won't be in the best condition and will struggle defensively and we know how bad Brooks and Martin are already defensively.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #33
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Last time i checked you could take Yao out of the game with fronting him with a single strong player, even 6-8 players like Bass.

Did i miss something and the Rockets got someone that can throw a perfect entry pass?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #34
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Yao was the best scoring center no one knows how he will play after the serious injury. Of those 5 players you named, 3 are much better players on the break Ariza and Brooks are electric in transition and Scola is a great filler on the break as he is much quicker than most bigs. Houston should be good offensively but bad next year, Yao probably won't be in the best condition and will struggle defensively and we know how bad Brooks and Martin are already defensively.
You are right - we really don't know how good Yao will be. Remember though that Yao's game (unlike a T-mac for ex.) isn't based on athleticism. So even if he isn't moving around so well he can still make a hook shot or a mid-range jumper. I would say the same applies roughly to the defensive end. As long as he is an effective shot blocker in the paint he will have done his job.

I agree that Ariza is MUCH better on the break than half-court. But all he has to do is knock down the open three then he will have done his job in a half-court offence. (i.e. the kind of role he had with LA)
Brooks can knock down open threes. More importantly he can also drive & create a midrange pullup for himself and/or create opportunities for others.
Scola was easily our best half-court player this year. I suspect things will get easier for him with Yao around.
Martin: I don't need to say more. Offensively this guy has all the tools..

The moral: Houston has the players to be a good half-court team.

With regards to defence, the Rockets absolutely sucked this year. Brooks, Martin, and Scola (see David West vs Rockets) are all not good defenders.
Without a legitimate shot blocker, anyone was able to get into our paint and get easy layups. With Yao that changes. Teams don't get easy layups and they have to work harder for their points and take tougher shots. With Yao in the middle, Rocket players can afford to play tighter defence.

The moral: the Rockets without Yao are an atrocious defensive team. With him they'll probably become average to above average.

Btw, the Rockets were actually MORE efficient offensively with Yao in 09 then they were this year. So much for the whole myth that Houston is offensively better off without him...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #35
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Last time i checked you could take Yao out of the game with fronting him with a single strong player, even 6-8 players like Bass.

Did i miss something and the Rockets got someone that can throw a perfect entry pass?
Jason Kidd,

Seriously though, fronting leaves the paint open for someone like Brooks/Martin/Ariza to drive and make a layup. Well, either that or someone on the Rockets finally learns how to throw a perfect entry pass...lol...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #36
sefant77
Guru

Anyway, Yao wont opt out and Houston would never trade his a$$, so thats all to say about Yao or the Rockets.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #37
Mavericks Rockets Fan

To Clippers:
Jason Terry
+[Fillers]

To Mavericks:
Baron Davis

Davis would make a good back up point guard for Kidd. We get rid of Terry. The Clippers get someone who can score of the bench. Win-Win all around imo...
Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 AM   #38
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

maybe they should've started David Andersen at Center
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #39
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
maybe they should've started David Andersen at Center
Yeah, it would have been nice if he was capable of playing any defence or gathering rebounds...
Old 05-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #40
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather trade Terry for a big, possibly to step in for Damp, instead of bringing in another combo guard to rob minutes from Robo.

Maybe Biedrins (27 over next 3 with option for 36 for 4) or Okafur (50 million over the next 4)? Financially, they'd win but I don't see the personnel need on those two teams as they both have two good smallish points/combo guards. It would be great if we could somehow take Al Jefferson (3 for 45+) as Minny commits to Love. Would need to spice that package up for sure.

A couple guys who are a few million over and are on expiring deals may be an option if the teams are eager for cap room this summer and like Terry. Off the top, I'm thinking Dalembert or Redd if we wanna go small and for shooting.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 05-03-2010 at 01:07 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote