Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #41
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

Usually Lurkin, your request that I somehow "validate" my information by providing a link where someone else wrote that story that we alone have dug out, is (a) somewhat insulting, (b) naive to think we don't have access to first-hand sources, which are at least as good as any Mavs reporter around and in many cases far better, (c) short-sighted to believe its truth depends on whether there is a linkable article, and (d) disappointing that you or anyone would think when I say "this is a FACT" it might just be some sort of goofy spin or delusion on my part. FACTS are facts, and I've told you straight out what they are, and also I've told you where I am drawing inferences and what they are based on. And because this is a very sensitive story on lots of levels, that's the full depth of what we are comfortable revealing for now.

To your other points ....

I don't disagree that Avery has every right to pick/fire his assistants. But notice also a story being invented about Del's leaving that glossing over the real situation, Del staying on and being paid, and Del giving input to Mark not Avery. All of those are FACTS. Together at the very least they hint at an undercurrent no one has told you about, don't they?

My point wasn't to make a big deal that Avery got rid of Del. I agree that it's no sin. The story to note is that as a result, the philosophical landscape changed. That unnoticed change IS significant and an issue, if it's resulted in lessened productivity.

When you say "I'd say the "system" that steamrolled the NBA was something that came out of Avery and Harris working together" then you are operating on a lack of knowledge, because that is factually completely wrong. It was Harris' system that Avery had used for 2 years as a newbie, put together over 30 years, used by Nellie/Del, and extremely flexible. But the themes are now looking very altered. Despite the contacts we have, until we did some digging earlier, we had been just as deceived as everyone else in thinking it was Avery's system that he brought here, but it was never any such thing. We never even thought to question it because he so consistently and blatantly claimed it as his own. This was written in Dec. by Fisher and you'll see a lot of the same themes there, that we are now more concerned by as they've lingered. http://dallasbasketball.com/fullArch...mn.php?id=2582

purplefrog "Do you think the "blow-up" between Cuban and Avery (supposedly related to Bass) was somehow related to conversations between Del and Mark?" ........ Absolutely not. Although Mark isn't a coach, he is smart as a whip, and a student of the game (just like the people here). He understands the need for a center on the floor, and for defense. And when he sees Avery giving way too many minutes in a key late-season game to an undersized player who's a poor defender, with the result that (as usual) the team is being penalized for those moves, he called Avery out on it. And (to paraphrase the exchange, from what I've been told) Avery said loudly and defiantly, "I'm the coach and it's my decision who I play and when I play them" and Mark said, "Fine, as long as you're the coach, you have the right to ignore my input that I'm offering based on my basketball knowledge" and he showed up the next game wearing a shirt saying Avery's Team.

But if he continues to make poor illogical decisions, and the team continues to flounder as a result, Avery has set himself up to get the full reward for those choices.

Last edited by DLord; 04-04-2008 at 11:20 PM.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links