Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-29-2001, 01:12 PM   #41
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I know I've heard Seattle and Orlando are interested in Trent--and I've seen LAL fans on Nbatalk who were interested, but do you really think Trent has that much value given the fact that he's incredibly injury prone? I have no doubt the Mavs will give him a good contract--to prove to future free agents that they keep their 'wink-wink' promises even if players get hurt, but I'm not sure we'll be able to do much with him.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2001, 06:22 PM   #42
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

I would love to see a trade of trent for Anthony Mason. Mason is a bad ass. He can bring some attitude that the mavs could use. What ya think dj
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 06:38 PM   #43
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Well, we know Pat Riley loves undersized, thuggish big men...
Old 03-29-2001, 06:47 PM   #44
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I still think that the Mavs are going to shock everybody by signing Trent for about or 8 million a year... Money speaks louder than playing time, and there is a certain matter of a handshake agreement for Nelson to take care of...
Old 03-29-2001, 06:57 PM   #45
dallmav

Give him the money and do a sign and trade for someone who can help us. We need some help off of the bench. He hasnt showed us much help since he came back. But to support him, he hasnt had much playing time.
Old 03-29-2001, 07:00 PM   #46
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

I think we get plenty of help off the bench, I think we just need another scorer to come off the bench while Eisley's slumping... Buckner and Booth are studs on defense, Najera is a great rebounder with a lot of hustle, Eisley and Maxwell play good defense and pass the ball pretty well... it just eventually starts to hurt us that we only (only?) have four guys that can consistently score the ball. I'd still like to see Mitch Richmond here next year...
Old 03-29-2001, 07:02 PM   #47
Mavinator
Golden Member

I do think it was wishful thinking to believe that Maxwell would step in and become Hubert Davis... Hubie is one of the best three-point shooters in the history of the league, and while Mad Max has a reputation for being a great three-point shooter, if you look at his career statistics, he's always only been a poor to decent shooter... granted, he's way down this year, but he's never been great...
Old 03-29-2001, 07:04 PM   #48
dallmav

we should have picked up Felipe instead. He is lighting it up in minnesota
Old 03-29-2001, 07:08 PM   #49
Mavinator
Golden Member

I don't know about that. Maxwell has been a huge influence on Finley (particularly his madness of late), a great friend to Dirk and Bradley (from what I understand), and a lockerroom leader with the playoff experience of a true veteran. Felipe can score a bit, but he doesn't bring all that to the table...
Old 03-29-2001, 07:25 PM   #50
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I don't think anybody is going to be shocked when the mavs give Trent a nice payday. Or they shouldn't be. This is a much more important message than any sent by signing Finley or Bradley this year. Less important to the team's actual play, but more important to pulling in future free agents with our cap exceptions--"come here for the minimum, take the paycut in the short term, and we will make it up to you, we will take care of you even if you get hurt to the point of uselessness."

Now I really hope that once they've done that the Mavs find a way to unload Trent in a sign-and-trade, but there's no doubt he's going to get his payday.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 08:08 PM   #51
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be amazed if we didn't take care of Trent this Summer... If he isn't going to be on the Mavs, then we will utilize his Larry Bird rights to give him a larger contract in a sign and trade... Under no circumstances will he leave the team as a free agent (and lose a lot of money)...
Old 03-29-2001, 08:31 PM   #52
dallmav

I agree that he should get his payday for his sacrafice to the mavericks the last couple of years.
Old 03-30-2001, 08:37 AM   #53
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

yeah..trent sacrificed some pay to come and play for the mavs... so what? that doesn't matter anymore. that's in the past. let's look at what he's done for the team the past couple of years...yes, i know it's hard to blame a player for being injured but even when he was on the mavs active roster, he wasn't always into the game. one game on the bench, he spent several minutes trying to get a girls attention behind him so that he could get her number...this is while the game is going on.
if you can sign and trade him to help out the team, that's fine...but otherwise, just get rid of his no playing butt
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote