Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-27-2001, 09:08 AM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Last night when Donyell Marshall hit Dirk, I swear I was pissed. Not at Donyell but at the Mavericks coaching staff and players. What happened to the days of protecting your players. I recall when the Bulls played the Jazz one time and someone flagrant fouled Jordan, Phil Jackson put Stacy King in and he POUNDED (I can't remember the player who he flagrantly fouled) the person who fouled Jordan. Of course he got kicked out of the game and was fined. However you know what happened, JORDAN paid his fine. THAT'S what we need. Like I said, people thought I was joking, we should sign someone like Bubba Wells. For instances like lastnight, you insert Bubba to FOUL THE $#@& out of him. Not to hurt him but give him the hardest foul he's ever had.

We need someone like that ESPECIALLY for those HACKERS on Utah. Really, they're RIDICULOUS!!!!!! However when your star players gets hammered like that you need to send a message that as a team, you're not going for that. If Dirk or Fin gets fouled hard like that, then someone should either pound the shit out of Stockton or Malone and just like the bitches they are they won't do anything but BITCH!!!!
Old 03-27-2001, 09:23 AM   #2
Linde

Linde is on a distinguished road

weed need tyson for the last game against utah
after 30 sec he and malone would be out of the game
Dying Fetus, Skinless / Neurotic DF / Devourment / FTC / Undergrind Freakfest ? / Deathfeast / Misery Index / Obscene Extreme / Dong / Mountains Of Death / NRW DF / Luha DF / Bloodshed / Grind Gütiger
Linde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 09:26 AM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I agree and I think Mark Bryant could be that guy.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 09:28 AM   #4
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

the only person that seems to get upset is a 7'6 stickman that if he throws his weight around, he might break himself in half.
but..i think the mavs made a statement last night. no, they didn't "fight" back...but they did prove that they could not be bullied. the way they proved that is by kicking a little Utah Ass.
Winning against teams that play dirty is the best way to combat them.
(although it would be nice to bring in the equivalent of SlapShot's Hanson Brothers...i wonder what they are doing now?)
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 09:39 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

I agree 100% with you Lam, but I just get SICK of Utah's claim that they're just blue collar hard working players, but they do a lot of dirty things. That's why I think it would be great that after we're winning and we know we're going to win, with maybe about 40 seconds left on the clock insert the goon and let him go nuts. He'll get kicked out the game for sure, but what the hell. I did like how they stepped up to the challenge lastnight though.
Old 03-27-2001, 09:51 AM   #6
LAM0015
Banned

i agree that it would be nice if the Mavs had someone that would step up and knock someone from Utah on their arse...one thing we have to worry about is retaliation....cheap shots come and go around. we don't want retaliation to come at the expense of dirk or fin..or nash..or even juwan.
their's a difference between standing up for yourself and having a goon. the mavs do need to be more physical when called for..and yes, it would be nice to see a mav player knock malone into next week...but, overall, it might not be in the mavs best interest. besides, the mavs are getting respect around the league and getting just a little more respect from officials now (not much). we all know how officials give stars calls all the time....well, the mavs don't need to do anything else to put themselves in a negative light with officials...cuban has done enough... (yes, i know the greatness of cuban...but i think he was a bit off base with the way he went about trying to get the officials attention earlier in the year)
thanks, bye

and thekid...don't agree with me ever again..you're ruining my positive reputation
Old 03-27-2001, 10:04 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

Ok how is this, You're WRONG! lol
Old 03-27-2001, 10:09 AM   #8
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

Ive expressed all year that we needed someone to be an Enforcer to protect the likes of Fin,Nash,& Dirk. I suggested that we try to get Anthony Mason this summer....maybe see if he's interested in the mid-level exception. But notice Finley took a hard flagrant foul on Byron Russell...Last night Finley clearly established he's the leader of this team...Plus BOOTH doesnt strike me as the type to be pushed around down low....neither is Buckner or Howard..But I do think in the playoffs other teams will attempt to intimidate US....especially running a guy at Bradley to get him out ..sense he has a short fuse..
Old 03-27-2001, 10:17 AM   #9
LAM0015
Banned

finley established himself a leader because he made the mistake of pushing russell when he was going for the layup instead of going for the ball?
that is ridiculous....
finley established himself as a leader through hard work and through an all around solid game...and by being a guy that you can count on in the fourth quarter....yes, finley is a leader but not because of the flagrant foul on russell...i'm not for sure if that's what you're saying, but if it is..please get help.
if anything, finley led the team with his sheer will in the first 3 quarters and dirk helped to further establish himself as one of the two main go to guys in the clutch with his performance in the last two minutes.
finley was awesome in the clutch..so was dirk..that's what helps to make them leaders of the team. the entire maverick team had a tremendous amount of fight last night.... no..the team short horribly but they pulled the win out through finley's will in the first three quarters, booth's defensive presence and offensive put-backs, and dirk's late game heroics. the whole mav team played pretty solidly on the defensive side..
Old 03-27-2001, 10:21 AM   #10
LAM0015
Banned

i apologize for the marginal (at best) personal attack. i was simply trying to guide your opinion in the right direction.
i do hope you'll accept my apologies
Old 03-27-2001, 11:01 AM   #11
Jordan23TX

No apologies needed BECAUSE you read one thing & DREW a conclusion on another...I pointed out that we also committed a HARD FOUL last night ...it was done by Finley.........& I said "after" that ...He established himself as the real leader of this team because in the toughest game of the year to date ...He was THE ANSWER... His overall play lead to this victory.....BTW, Lam your takes are taken w/a grain of salt...LOL im hardly the one to be faded.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:07 AM   #12
LAM0015
Banned

it's quite alright, you don't have to apologize...please, just next time.. try and be a bit clearer with your point. well, at least try and have your point...umm..well, where people can understand what you're trying to say.
and, if that's your definition of a hard foul...then there were about 50 hard fouls last night. finley just made the mistake of not going for the ball. i think that if you asked him, he would say that he made a mistake and should have went for the ball. he would also say that if he knew that he would be whistled for a flagrant 1 foul, then he wouldn't have done it
thanks..bye
Old 03-27-2001, 11:09 AM   #13
LAM0015
Banned

it was flagrant because he made no attempt at the ball..their were harder non calls than that foul on finley...finley wasn't trying to send a message..he was attempting to stop a layup.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:28 AM   #14
TheKid
Diamond Member

Lam you must be smoking over there, you had something good to say about Finley.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That's very true though, that's the way he needs to play and the fact that he drove to the basket that one time shows me that he has the ability to do it more often. If he drives more often, that dunk when he dunked on the police officer, next time he will be shooting at the free throw line.

As I watched that game, I couldn't wait to get on here so I could let everyone have it about Dirk. Then he stepped up HUGE in the fourth quarter, which shut me up FAST!!!!
Old 03-27-2001, 11:31 AM   #15
Jordan23TX

Besides referees Lam u need glasses as well ....Make sure you can read more clearly before you make a take on something u didnt (by your own admission) wasn't clear to u....The point, considering the TOPIC was needing a GOON ......was that we committed a hard foul on the Jazz... we just weren't chumped in every area. Whatever the case, u have determined the motive for Finleys foul to be he didnt want to give-up a layup....I see it differently.....especially since it happened within 3 minutes of Donyell's foul on Dirk...where he was also trying to prevent a layup (I suppose).... But irregardless of that, Finley was a STUD flagrant foul or not...
Old 03-27-2001, 12:20 PM   #16
LAM0015
Banned

finley's foul wasn't any harder than the majority of fouls committed. finley was trying to prevent a layup. that's not my opinion, it is a fact.
Old 03-27-2001, 12:22 PM   #17
LAM0015
Banned

thekid, finley i've said all along the finpooch is a top 5 shooting guard in the NBA...just imagine how tough the mavs will be when dirk steps his game up even more and becomes a top 10 player in the NBA.
offensively, they'll be dominating....of course, with help from nash and howard.....
the mavs need to get some bench help...nice game out of booth last night
Old 03-27-2001, 01:35 PM   #18
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait until Bill Duffy (the agent for Nash and ZhiZhi) brings us another of his clients, Antonio Davis this Summer...
Old 03-27-2001, 02:45 PM   #19
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

What makes me so frustrated I could pull out the last of my hair is that the ULTIMATE goon (Malone) should have been a Maverick. Then, of course, he would not be a goon but a hard-nosed player.
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 05:54 PM   #20
LAM0015
Banned

yeah...but malone is on the downside of his career now.... (although he's still an all-star)....the current group of mavs could be very good for a long time... so lets move on from the past...
Old 03-27-2001, 06:16 PM   #21
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

But couldn't you just imagine him teaching Dirk and Bradley/Booth the fine art of elbowing?

All kidding aside, we need to improve our toughness around the ball. We need to be able bump and grind if we ever want to go far in the playoffs.
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 07:04 PM   #22
thirdbse

thirdbse is on a distinguished road

My point last week was Dirk needs 40 pounds, His beautiful shot wont be worth a durn with his teeth knocked out. broken shooting wrist,
hurt shoulder. maybe an elbow looking crater in his face
I am sticking to my previous opinion, He needs 30 to 40 pounds/
On a frame like his this extra muscle wont amount to squat in messing with his shot
thirdbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 07:18 PM   #23
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very happy if we aquired this particular goon... At 6-10, 280 pounds, Vitaly Potapenko has established a hard as nails reputation for himself in the NBA... I bet we could steal him from the Celtics, and he would be a perfect enforcer who could play 15-20 minutes of brutal defense, good rebounding, and very good jumpshooting. The "Ukraine Train" is only 25 and would bring us years of brutal interior enforcing (I saw him take Jalen Roses' legs out from under him as he drove to the hoop earlier this year- he then proceeded to walk over the fallen swingman while glaring at an animated Al Harrington)... I really think this guy would be a GREAT roleplaying enforcer who could come off the bench to provide muscle- And as I said, he is a damn good jumpshooter...

Old 03-27-2001, 07:48 PM   #24
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

I'm on board the Train... going to email Mark Cuban?
Old 03-27-2001, 10:42 PM   #25
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Sounds like a good idea to me...
Old 03-27-2001, 11:34 PM   #26
LAM0015
Banned

i think the mavs should sign "The Crippler". From personal experiences in a friendly environment such as this, i think he could fill the role quite nicely.
Old 03-28-2001, 02:08 AM   #27
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Gary Trent stood up to the Warriors a while ago. I think it was V. Cumings and someone else, but I remember it was cool team spirit.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:27 AM   #28
TheKid
Diamond Member

thrdbase, You know Cartwright the man with the hardest elbows in the world didn't outweigh Nowitzki by 40lbs. However he had toughness and a low post game. NOW, he didn't have the agility of a Nowitzki, but my point is Nowitzki doesn't need 40 lbs. to attain what you're referring to.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:31 AM   #29
LAM0015
Banned

i think he must be looking for dirk to be a center in the NBA..or someone that can guard every center in the NBA..one or the other. you have to realize that dirk's game iside outside-in. he's 21..he'll continue to develop his inside moves... he'll continue to improve defensively...he'll continue to rebound better. it takes a little time. Remember, he's tall for his age
Old 03-28-2001, 08:37 AM   #30
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Anthony Mason. Or Cuban could just provide each player with his own set of brass nuckles.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:40 AM   #31
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

With a name like Potapenko Karl Malone and company would also have to look over their shoulders for guys in maffia suits, and concealed handguns [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]