Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-27-2001, 05:49 PM   #1
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

just a question....of players on the current roster, who would you max out?...who do you actually think you'd have to max out to keep from leaving via free agency at the end of their contracts
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2001, 06:21 PM   #2
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

Dirk, Finley, maybe Nash (if he can stay healthy). Howard and Bradley are worth 6 to 8 million each.

I think all of the players on the roster would take SLIGHLY less to play on the Mavs.
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 06:23 PM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Mavs#1... Our big three deserve the max (If Nash is healthy), and Howard and Bradley are right behind them... If Eisley wasn't in his slump, I would say he is worth 4-6 million a year...
Old 03-27-2001, 07:30 PM   #4
thirdbse

thirdbse is on a distinguished road

I say offer Bradley 6 to 8 million. And if he wants to leave let him go. I really like Bradley too. But call his bluff, No one will treat him better than we do here. The new guy is filling in nicely.
thirdbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 07:32 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Finley and Dirk deserve the Max. Closely followed by Nash and Howard.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 11:27 PM   #6
LAM0015
Banned

i'm just not sure how healthy nash will ever be.... he's not going to be able to put much strength or weight onto his frame.. and with as aggressive and with how hard and often he goes inside, he's going to take his bumps and bruises. it will wear him down.... i hope he can play at this same level for years to come..if he can, he's a very, very valuable point guard
Old 03-28-2001, 02:09 AM   #7
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Fin, Dirk, Nash and Bradley.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:11 AM   #8
LAM0015
Banned

wow.... that's alot of people to max out. trying to reach the $200 million mark per year in salary to the mavs?
Old 03-28-2001, 08:12 AM   #9
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Nash's health has to do with the # of games he has played this year ... max him out. Fin, Nash, Dirk then Howard ... we should pay Booth more than Shawn if he keeps this pace up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2001, 08:21 AM   #10
LAM0015
Banned

ok..?
what did nash's health last year have to do with? the # of pickup games he participated in on off days?
nash goes 100% all the time... he's more likely to be injured, especially with his frame. it's probably not a good idea to just max nash out.. besides, he's barely had over a year of solid play with the mavericks. let's see if he can consistently play at this level
Old 03-28-2001, 08:33 AM   #11
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I don't care what Nash's health is like, there is no way in the world the Mavs should max him out. There are two players on that team that should be maxed out Dirk and Fin that's it. Juwan should resign at something around 7-8 mill a year, Nash should resign at about 6 mill a year and Bradley should sign at about 5 a year. (I'm talking when all of their contracts come up and I'm basing this off of this year's performances).
Old 03-28-2001, 08:44 AM   #12
LAM0015
Banned

i think nash is a very solid point guard..or, at least he has been this year. but he's not near the caliber of player that you would max out. i hate to say it, but i agree with thekid. he's a very solid player..very solid, but you don't max out "solid" players. you can keep nash without paying him a rediculous amount of money. the same with bradley. cuban should be able to sign bradley for 6-9 million or so. no reason to max stickman out. NO REASON AT ALL.
juwan, he should just be happy that he's playing in a place where he doesn't get booed every game. juwan fits in with nash...should be able to sign both for around the same amount.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:52 AM   #13
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

and shawn b. is the type of player you would max out. ok, i win that argument cause at least some of you are the same people blabbing about how its o.k. to pay that fool the max cause after all its not our money blah blah blah.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:54 AM   #14
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

nash has been playing basketball for 11 month non stop, and we wont even have to worry about resigning him for a couple years, and we will know all we need to know about his health by then.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:25 AM   #15
LAM0015
Banned

fcc, i'm sorry, but...shawn isn't a guy that you would max out. shawn hasn't even played up to his current contract value for the majority of the time he's been here.
Old 03-28-2001, 10:19 AM   #16
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

Dirk, Finley, and Nash. I would max these guys out with out a second guess. Im telling you. Without nash at the point, we wouldnt have made the playoffs. Cant count on eisley to put us very deep.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:47 AM   #17
LAM0015
Banned

i know we need nash..but i don't think there's any reason to max him out. i don't think that it would take that kind of money to keep him in dallas.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:50 AM   #18
TheKid
Diamond Member

Yes I hate to say this too, but I agree with Lam. Nash is very good, and you're right a large reason why we're in the playoffs this year, but he's NOT that caliber of player that deserves to be maxed out. Maybe he will be someday, but right now, NO WAY!!!!

I'm not even going to bother with the Bradley thing, I KNOW Cuban isn't crazy enough to max him out. That's just stupid, I don't care how "solid" he has been.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:56 AM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

On the Bradley thing, the only way I can see Cuban maxing him out is if he has some sign and trade deal in the works. There is no way he will be Mr. Wang over and max Bradley out. We don't know much about Zhi-Zhi yet, but I guarantee this, he can give us EXACTLY what Bradley gives us!!!! He'll block shots at 7'7, I'm sure of it.

That's what I think Cuban has in mind (just my opinion), because I thought about this. Think about this realistically, would he max out Bradley or pay him anything more than 6 million a year to sit on the bench. If Zhi-Zhi gives us what Bradley can, he'll play just because he's younger and appears to be more athletic. We know, Dirk won't sit, Juwan won't sit and Bradley can't play point or shooting guard so Bradley's minutes will diminish even further. If that happens, it makes NO SENSE at all to resign that man. Unless they sign him on a ONE year deal to wait and see how Zhi-Zhi developes. I'm sorry folks, I just don't see them giving up much money at all for Bradley.
Old 03-28-2001, 12:22 PM   #20
LAM0015
Banned

you've been saying that alot recently "i hate to agree with Lam".
well, be careful, i've been verbally threatened because of the facts that i have stated on this board. it's ok, the person that threatened me lives in austin, i believe...so not too much to worry about
Old 03-28-2001, 12:25 PM   #21
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

i happen to live in austin too, i can take him/her out for you, but it will cost ya [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], oh, on the Bradley and the max, my comment was dripping with sarcasim, i was just stating that there were people arguing against Nash getting the max. but are for Shawn getting it, i was just pointing out the total ridiculousness of this line of thinking.
Old 03-28-2001, 12:30 PM   #22
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

the kid, why in the hell would a team trade for a maxed out Bradley? no reason whatsoever. Wang is 7'1" and will be playing at the small forward slot. Therefore, Shawn should definately not sign for the max. the only reason he would even be offered that contract would be Cuban's ego. Not that i have a problem with his ego, but i honestly think he and Nelson think Bradley is a "cornerstone". No person of this planet would trade for a maxed out Bradley. Thank you for being yet another source of humor for my day.
Old 03-28-2001, 05:09 PM   #23
TheKid
Diamond Member

I know no one in their right mind would take a maxed out Bradley. What I was saying was the ONLY way I could see Cuban JUSTIFYING paying him that much would be if he knew he was getting rid of him and getting something for him.

Also what I was saying was, they're NOT bring Mr. Wang here to sit the bench. It doesn't matter if he's only 7'1. They're bringing him here to play and if ANYONE is expendable for playing time, it's not going to be Nash, Dirk, Finley or Howard. It's going to be Bradley. So my point was if he was truly considering maxing Bradley out, that would be the DUMBEST thing on the planet because the guy will get NO TIME. I don't care HOW much money Cuban has. As a said before, he's great owner, but a business man first.

Old 03-28-2001, 07:03 PM   #24
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

A lot of columnists make this mistake too, but I'd hope that Mavs fans would manage to get their own player straight. Wang ZhiZhi is NOT 7-7. He is 7-1 and his game is likely to be a lot closer to Dirk's sf versatility than to Bradley's. A lot of people seem to confuse him with Yao Ming--who is 7-6 and will play center if he ever comes to the US--but not for the Mavericks, because he is will likely go top 5 in the lottery which we will not see again for a long time to come.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 07:42 PM   #25
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Speak on brotha hoopmeiser. And actually, ming is supplosedly not even a great shotblocker. He definitly has the body to be a great one, but everything I've read is that he's not to that point yet. So, no kid, not even the 7'6" in chinese dude will give you what Bradley does shotblocking wise. He is supposed to be a pretty good scorer though, but we'll have to see how he does against good competition.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 07:46 PM   #26
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ming is all potential and upside... He also doesn't run the floor as well as the "Best running 7-6 player in the history of the NBA"... He is bulkier though...
Old 03-28-2001, 11:49 PM   #27
LAM0015
Banned

in a recent game against yao-ming's team, i think zhizhi put up numbers like 43 points, 16 boards, and 5 blocks. i've seen him play on tv a couple of times..he's got alot of skills...very similar to dirk in alot of ways. how well will he adapt to the US? i don't know, time will only tell
Old 03-28-2001, 11:52 PM   #28
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

That was the championship game too..Wang's team won it all for like the millionth consecutive year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 08:11 AM   #29
LAM0015
Banned

cool, thanks for the verification pj
Old 03-29-2001, 08:53 AM   #30
TheKid
Diamond Member

I've seen both of those guys play. I do get them confused sometimes, but even the 7'1" can fill in for Bradley. They guy blocks a TON of shots, and like I said he can give us what Bradley does and then some. I can tell you this now, after watching Booth, I wouldn't even BOTHER resigning Bradley. I LIKE Booth, and if we can keep Bradley for cheap it would be excellent but I WOULD NOT spend a lot of money on him. Also, I'll be mad if Cuban does.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:10 AM   #31
LAM0015
Banned

i wouldn't mind keeping bradley and booth...pretty good combination at the center. i really don't know if zhizhi could guard some of the bigger centers in the NBA. i don't even know if center would be the best position for him to be playing in the NBA.

Old 03-29-2001, 09:49 AM   #32
TheKid
Diamond Member

He can guard them as well as Bradley. Bradley doesn't shut anyone down, he may alter shots and block shots but Zhi-Zhi if nothing else can do the same thing.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:06 AM   #33
LAM0015
Banned

well..i don't think he will alter as many shots as bradley..but maybe he'll be able to put more of a body on some of the bigger inside players in the western conference.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:36 AM   #34
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Keep in mind that right now Booth is still a terrible individual defender (like Bradley). He got bullied around by Sabonis all night long. He is very aggressive on the help side defense and you've got to love that. He is shorter than Bradley, and hasn't established the reputation that Bradley has as a shotblocker yet (this could be the reason for the number of blocks he's been getting). I still think he'll be a great addition if we can keep him. I love it when both Bradley and Booth are on the floor at the same time. The middle is completly shut down.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:43 AM   #35
LAM0015
Banned

booth does seem to have a bit more quickness than bradley....which helps when guarding people 10-15 feet from the basket. i'll agree with a couple of your statements though...it is interesting seeing bradley, booth, and dirk in their at the same time.
Old 03-29-2001, 12:56 PM   #36
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well Sabonis is the only guy other than Shaq that's hard to move around. Shaq is strong and Sabonis is FAT, Portland like's those fat jumpshooting centers (Kevin Duckworth and didn't Oliver Miller play for them at one point). So that doesn't bother me that Sabonis was pushing him around, because Sabonis could do the same to Bradley. However I don't think Booth could be our FULL TIME center, but a good backup or a player to come in and give us some low post help at the power forward too.

I still believe that Zhi will be as good or better than Bradley.
Old 03-29-2001, 01:04 PM   #37
LAM0015
Banned

Sabonis may have put on some weight, but he also has tremendous strength. he has a very solid all around offensive game for a center
Old 03-29-2001, 01:07 PM   #38
madape
Diamond Member

Wangs probably going to play forward from what I've read. Regardless, he is still likely a couple of years from being able to contribute anyway. As far as next season, it looks like we'll try to re-sign both Booth and Bradley unless we can steal Antonio Davis in free-agency. To do that, we'll probably need to sign and trade both Trent and Booth. What do you think?
Old 03-29-2001, 01:19 PM   #39
LAM0015
Banned

well, personally, if nellie and cuban feel like we can contend for the title in the next couple of years, then maybe we do go after davis. if not, then sign and keep booth. davis isn't a guy that will be with the mavs for the extended future but booth is young and could possibly be. i think trent is gone... very doubt in my mind about that.