Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-15-2003, 11:23 AM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Clemens says he may boycott Hall ceremony

Clemens says he may boycott Hall ceremony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

He's won six Cy Young awards and 300 games and is only one of three pitchers with 4,000 strikeouts. Roger Clemens has written his own ticket to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

The question is, will he be in Cooperstown on the day of his eventual induction?

Clemens said Saturday he will not attend his own induction ceremony if he is not allowed to go into the Hall of Fame as a member of the New York Yankees.

The Hall of Fame reserves the right to select which team a player will be identified with for induction. For example, Gary Carter will enter the Hall this summer as a member of the Montreal Expos, even though his wish was to go in as a member of the New York Mets.

The 40-year-old Clemens, who won his 300th game Friday night against the Cardinals, has said he plans to retire at the end of this season. If he does retire, he will become a member of the Hall in 2009. Clemens, who also pitched for the Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays, has emphasized numerous times his desire to go into the Hall as a Yankee.

"I play 20 years, work my tail off, they're not going to tell me what hat I'm wearing," Clemens told reporters Saturday. "I promise you that. There might be a vacant seat there. I'll take my mother and we'll go to Palm Springs and invite all y'all and we'll have our own celebration."

Clemens spent 13 years with the Red Sox, two with the Blue Jays and the last five with the Yankees. He posted terrific numbers for all three franchises, but did not win a championship until he joined the Yankees. He has won two titles with New York, plus his sixth Cy Young Award.

"Somebody told me there are a couple of guys who don't even have a hat on," Clemens said. "But that would be disrespectful to what Mr. (George) Steinbrenner has given me: an opportunity to come here and continue my career, to be able to achieve these moments and become a Hall of Famer.

"I became a Hall of Famer here," Clemens added. "If I'd have listened to people there [in Boston], then I'd have been done. Not people. One person that evaluated my skills and he didn't take the time to get to know me."

Clemens left Boston as a free agent after the 1996 season when general manager Dan Duquette and the Red Sox figured that his best years were behind him. Clemens then signed with the Blue Jays and won the Cy Young in each of his two years in Toronto. He was then traded to the Yankees.

Clemens has been solid for the Yankees this season, going 7-4 with a 3.73 ERA with a league-leading 97 strikeouts in 89 innings.

More from ESPN...
Klapisch: Emotional relief for The Rocket
After some false alarms, ...
Report: Boss denies Torre is on hot seat
On a night when Roger Clemens ...

Clemens says he wants to enter Hall as a Yankee
Roger Clemens took some time ...

ESPN Tools
Email story

Most sent

Print story

Daily email

ESPN EXTRA
Amazing Hometown Highlight Challenge
Cast your vote today on the best photos and videos submitted, and you could win a trip to a Sports Fantasy Camp of your choice!

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Clemens says he may boycott Hall ceremony

For me, Clemens is a Red Sox.

But being a Yankee in the Hall of Fame is as being in the Hall of Fame of the Hall of Fame.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

it doesn't make sense that the players cannot pick which team they go into the hof as a member of
Old 06-15-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If I recall correctly, Gaylord Perry went into the Hall of Fame with a jersey that had something like 10 teams logos on it. I think it should be up to the player myself.

I don't blame Clemens one bit at all.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:50 PM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I am sure Red Sox will grab every opportunity to bug Yankee Organisation. But I do agree with Doc that the player should be able to decide which hat he wants to wear. I do not mind putting a condition of atleast two or three years with the organisation.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

wait i don't know really anything about how this works, so can someone explain to me the reasoning behind why the hall of fame gets to choose the hat and the player doesn't?
Old 06-15-2003, 04:28 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
wait i don't know really anything about how this works, so can someone explain to me the reasoning behind why the hall of fame gets to choose the hat and the player doesn't?
Because of the Rangers and Nolan Ryan. There are a lot of people in baseball who were furious that he went to the Hall as a Ranger. There was deep rooted suspicion that the "personal services" contract that the Rangers signed Ryan to after his career was just a bribe to get him to be the first Ranger in the Hall of Fame.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #8
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

ahhh, ok. thanks, mffl.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #9
TheLou

TheLou is on a distinguished road

Actually, the one that finally made the Hall of Fame decide to take control of it was Dave Winfield in 2001, he had a bidding war over whose team hat he would wear in the hall, as he played for about 7 teams, including the Yankees, eventually, the Padres paid him the most so he went in from them.
TheLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:47 PM   #10
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

it's sad that things like that happen and make it so that clemens can't go into the hall with the team he chooses.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:22 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

players shouldn't "choose" who they go in with.

why should they?
The hall should decide which team the player goes in with to uphold the integrity of the HOF. The Winfied and Ryan incidents cast a black cloud over the Hall of Fame. So, they did something about it.

If Clemens doesn't want to be at the ceremony when he's inducted..then fine. The Hall really doesn't need him there.

The selfish bastard
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:58 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

I disagree. The player is the one who performed at the level that made him a Hall of Famer. He should be able to choose how he enters the Hall. I will say that the Winfield thing was bunk though. That was unfortunate, but still, Winfield performed not the hall.

The players should be able to choose. Not the Hall of Fame which is in the business of making money off of the fame of players.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:37 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Hall should choose because too many players cannot take the process seriously.
Clemens is simply pissed at the red sox so he wants to go in as a yankee to spite the red sox.

The players do not own the hall of fame. Therefore, the Hall of Fame has the right to choose what team a player goes in with.

The players had the responsibility once upon a time..but they screwed it up. The Hall took it into their own hands. Good for the Hall of Fame.

It's good to know that there's still just a little decency left in the game
Old 06-16-2003, 04:10 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

The Hall should choose because too many players cannot take the process seriously.
Horsecrap. But it's nice to know someone out there can determine what is taken seriosuly and what is not.

Clemens is simply pissed at the red sox so he wants to go in as a yankee to spite the red sox.
Of course he is. When you hear his story you will understand. Take the time to listen to him tell about how Dan Duquette handled his situation. At best it was very disrespectfully handled. At least, it was an intentional attempt by Duquette to force Clemens into taking a stupid contract offer. Duquette was/is a retard.

The players do not own the hall of fame. Therefore, the Hall of Fame has the right to choose what team a player goes in with.
Again, Horsecrap. The players own the rights to their images. MLB owns the rights to use those images. Not sure about the Hall of Fames contractual rights, but as long as the Hall is making money off the efforts and performances of the PLAYERS, the players should be able to choose how they are portrayed. Your rational (or lack thereof) is rediculous and unintelligent.

The players had the responsibility once upon a time..but they screwed it up. The Hall took it into their own hands. Good for the Hall of Fame.
Glad to know I don't have to interpret responsibility so carelessly. The players should control their image and likenesses. Business 101.

It's good to know that there's still just a little decency left in the game
Sure if by decency you mean capitalism and greed. The Hall of Fame is attempting to make decisions based on future sales,etc. They are in business to make money. Is it decent to whore out a players likeness in a way that they are not comfortable with? Is it decent to allow the uncompensated marketing of the Hall without the players approval? Is it decent to allow a player that has worked so hard to reach a level so few do to not decide how to be remembered forever? No, No and of course....No.

Besides, we all know that you only took this rediculous and uninformed stance because it would be argumentative.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:21 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

If clemens doesn't want to abide by the rules of the hall, then there's no problem with him not being there.

common sense 101.

Look into it
Old 06-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

That's just purely ignorant and totally expected.

Thanks for another incredibly stupifying thoughtless my-dad-is-bigger-than-than-your-dad-esque quality-deficient response.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:24 PM   #17
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i am enjoying this clash of gurus [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2003, 04:24 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

The players simply do not have enough integrity to uphold the integrity of the game in this instance.
If Roger Clemens feels screwed over... oh well.
He is not bigger than the hall of fame..the hall will survive with or without him appearing at the induction ceremony.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:31 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Man...the integrity of baseball? It is a wonderful game, but those who have been placed in charge of its' care over the last decade should be whipped with a corked bat and forced to negotiate the labor contracts of homeless beggars. Don't give baseball integrity points.

Now, noone has said that Clemens is bigger than the game of baseball. He isn't, so don't even try to put words into someones mouth that didn't come out. It's your specialty, but I will not allow it to happen here. Much like you have done in the past here, the Hall is getting too big for their britches.

At least there is something to think about in the last response though. Baby steps, I suppose.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

I do not put words into your mouth. And that is not something that I do.

If you would like to keep the discussion on topic without the b.s., that would be fine.
However, until you show the ability to do so, it's really not worth discussing anything with you.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:38 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

I do not put words into your mouth. And that is not something that I do.

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHA....OMG this is the funniest thing I have read all year. That is just laughable. You've made a living at this site doing just this. Oh man this is hilarious. I'm sure that 90% of the forum readers will chuckle over this one for days. That statement alone should be nominated for the D-M.com Thread Hall of Fame. Pure comedy.

If you would like to keep the discussion on topic without the b.s., that would be fine.
You have yet to enunciate your reasons...but rather have made bold statements without backing. Another of your trademarks.

However, until you show the ability to do so, it's really not worth discussing anything with you.
Woo Hoo!!!!! Christmas in June!!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:06 PM   #22
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
i am enjoying this clash of gurus [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Too soon to say it. Be aside until you get Diamond, at least. It's when we have developed functional airbags.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #23
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

oops. thanks for setting me straight, chiwas