Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-16-2005, 01:16 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Vince Carter back on the trading block?

A lot of folks are focussed on the Artest trade talk right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Vince trade ends up being the real balance-changer in the West this year (and boy, oh boy, much as I would hate to see our ghostly assassin go, that would be a beautiful way to cash in our expiring Van Horn contract)

Nets set for shopping season following loss

By BOB CONSIDINE, THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: December 15, 2005)

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. —The Nets have been beaten in back-to-back games in embarrassing fashion over the last nights.

So today, they're left to wonder if their next loss will be a player.

The Nets' 91-83 defeat to the lowly Charlotte Bobcats before 13,363 angry fans last night came on the eve of when all NBA players who signed new contracts over the summer are eligible to be traded.

And the underachieving Nets are definitely shopping, according to several league sources. Rightfully so.

While the Bobcats saw the end of their eight-game losing streak, the Nets dropped their third in a row and fell to 9-12.

The Nets were slightly better than their ugly 94-74 loss to the Washington Wizards on Tuesday night.

But chemistry remains an issue as center Marc Jackson took a DNP and angrily declared he would welcome a trade. The remaining Nets are left to answer what the Nets are missing the most.

"Our willingness to win," Vince Carter said.

Brevin Knight led Charlotte with 25 points and, once again, the Nets' Big 3 of Richard Jefferson (25 points), Carter (22 points) and Jason Kidd (eight points, 10 assists, eight rebounds) were not enough.

And while the job security of Nets coach Lawrence Frank was not believed to be in immediate jeopardy, Nets president Rod Thorn was meeting with the third-year coach in his office nearly two hours after the game.

The Nets led by 11 in the first quarter, but fired 14 for 44 in the second half.

A Melvin Ely 3-point play and Emeka Okafor free throw with 3:22 left gave Charlotte a 76-66 lead and that was all she wrote.

Jackson, Jeff McInnis, Lamond Murray and Scott Padgett — all signed during the summer — are now trade-eligible.

The Nets are also believed to be dangling guard Zoran Planinic and their two first-round draft picks in order to procure a big body. Planinic was put on the inactive list and did not play, while Jackson and McInnis, the Nets' two main free-agent signings in the offseason, did not play.

Frank said he was searching. Jackson was steamed, nonetheless.

"If (Frank) don't think I can help the team, then maybe get rid of me for somebody you think can help the team," Jackson said. "That DNP is real crazy, man. That DNP, only happens since I've been here."

Players that would become available today who the Nets would have an interest in include Ely, Milwaukee's Dan Gadzuric and the Clippers' Chris Wilcox. Even Houston's Stromile Swift, who the Nets coveted in the off-season, would become available

But whether the Nets are willing to make a bigger deal depends on their patience level. There is a growing sentiment in the organization that Carter could be expendable if it can return an impact defensive player.

"We definitely can turn this thing around and all of the sudden, everybody will be like, 'Wow, this is a great team,' " Carter said.

The Nets haven't had that defensive enforcer since Kenyon Martin was traded to Denver two summers ago. Ironically, the Nuggets are said to be shopping Martin - who comes to the Meadowlands tomorrow night.

Collins update: Nets forward Jason Collins will undergo more tests today to gauge the inflamed peroenal nerve in his right leg. Collins has played the last two games, but continues to feel discomfort. If it continues, surgery may be an alternative.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p...512150344/1108

Last edited by Evilmav2; 12-16-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Eh.. Vince for Josh anyone?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

No thanks, I dont need someone who jacks up 30 shots and doesnt defend
Old 12-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Vince for Josh.....na

I can't see Vince a mav.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Not for Josh...

Vince is flat out one of the most talented players in the league. He has God-given abilities like no one. I'm not sure he really loves the game and lives for it though, and guys like that usually don't win.

For his talent alone, I would certainly be interested, but I wouldn't part with Josh or Devin.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone that doesn't want Artest but wants Carter needs to have their head examined. Carter, while not quite the headcase, has everybit the rep of being a cancer in the locker room, and has also completely quit on a team.

Besides that, Vince Carter does not bring us what we need. We HAVE a slashing swingman that scores in buckets and plays with blinders on. His name is Jerry Stackhouse. Actually, Stack actually drives to the hoop, something Vince has slowly stopped doing over the years.

You think our guard defense is putrid, replace Josh or Marquis in the starting lineup with VC and see what happens.

Vince Carter is NOT what this team needs. Artest was a risk I was willing to take becuase he brings was we need. Carter does not.

And anyone that thinks Carter is a better player than Artest needs to rethink their logic and focus on more than the offensive side of the ball.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-16-2005 at 03:48 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Thanks, but no thanks. We don't need super talents who think their only job is to jack up shots and try to pour in 40 a night, damn victory or defeat.

We need well-rounded, unselfish team players who are ready to defend, do the dirty work and help complement other players in the team. Like Josh, Harris and Quis.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

As with Artest, Vince ain't worth Josh or Devin, although that's largely because of the salary matching considerations mandated in the CBA. Beyond that, though, the only thing that's comparable about Vince and Artest are their respective talent levels. I'd make a deal for Vince, who grades out as a very good defender in +/- analyses, in a heartbeat.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #9
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I wonder if the Nets and Pacers would consider an Artest/Croshere for Vince deal. Vince is too similar to Jefferson, and Artest would make them a much better defensive team while not commanding the ball as much as Carter. (Though honestely Carter needs to be commanding the ball more, not less in NJ right now.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c
As with Artest, Vince ain't worth Josh or Devin, although that's largely because of the salary matching considerations mandated in the CBA. Beyond that, though, the only thing that's comparable about Vince and Artest are their respective talent levels. I'd make a deal for Vince, who grades out as a very good defender in +/- analyses, in a heartbeat.
I'm a believer in stats. I am. But that is proof positive that stats can be wrong. The just can. Vince Carters is not a good defender, and he is not even close to what we need.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

So you're a believer in stats unless they disagree with you. You don't sound like much of a believer to me.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:03 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

No, that's true. I've withdrawn a point before based on statistical evidence. But you will never convince me that Vince Carter is a good defender. He's a lazy player, and lazy players don't play good defense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game