Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default MVP Race by Greg Anthony

Choosing the leading BrandBy Greg Anthony
ESPN Insider
To me, the Most Valuable Player award should always go the player who has the greatest impact in making his team a winner. Individual stats can be deceiving -- the MVP isn't necessarily the best player statistically.

But my current leader in the MVP race is impressive by any measure of numbers, and he's boosting a team to some newfound winning ways. That kind of combination is tough to beat. So here's how the chase stacks up:

Brand
1. Elton Brand, Clippers forward -- The Clippers are in first place. I don't think anybody in their right mind would have said that coming into the season. Brand's scoring at a career-high average (25.0), but what's most impressive is his turnovers are down to a career-low 2.0 per game. He's an undersized (6-8) power forward who never takes a night off. I think he can keep up this MVP pace; the question is, can his team keep pace with him?

2. Allen Iverson, Sixers guard -- The most intimidating ballplayer at 6-foot to ever play the game has matured. He's got his team in first in the worst division, but that still means a playoff berth. The NBA's leading scorer (33.4) is shooting better than he ever has (45 percent). And he's flirting with a career-low in turnovers (3.0). Impressive.

3. Steve Nash, Suns guard -- You couldn't have an MVP list without last year's winner. Nash has kept his team in the thick of things without Amare. And I think he's playing much better D this year than in years past.

4. Tim Duncan, Spurs forward -- His numbers (20 ppg, 12 rpg) never blow you away, but his game does. When you look at his overall impact, you've got to put him on the list. He's the best power forward to play the game when you judge him on what he's done -- win, and win a lot.

5. LeBron James, Cavaliers forward. He and his team are obviously getting better, and the offensive numbers show it. But he's been poor defensively since he's come into the league. He's got to become more dominant defensively. When he does that, that's when his whole team goes to another level.

ON THE FIVE FRINGE
Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki and Lakers guard Kobe Bryant are two guys who have stood out, and one of them could end up winning it. It's not like a top five and big drop. The Lakers' team is playing great D, much better than they did than did a year ago. Dirk has continued to take his game to another level as a leader. Statistically he's always been there.

Steve Nash playing better defense? a whopping .87 steals per game....jesus some people are blind.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

[QUOTE Greg Anthony]You couldn't have an MVP list without last year's winner.[/QUOTE]

F'ing moron.

Last edited by capitalcity; 12-20-2005 at 12:35 PM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:42 AM   #3
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree that listing Nash just to list last year's MVP is a waste of brainwaves, Nash IS still a candidate, and as Larry Hughes proved last year, getting 2.5 steals a game does NOT make you a good defender.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I just can't understand LeBron and Nash in that top 5 list when Dirk is left off. The Mavs have the 3rd best record in the league?

I'll give him Brand, TD and AI...but Nash and LeBron... $hit I'd love to see the Mavs in the East...They'd probably be 10 games up on the Pistons if they were playing that that those trash teams day in and day out... After Detroit... no one else is worth a crap...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

neither does .87 steals per game. While I agree that stealing the ball doesn't make you a great ont he ball defender, Nash has played us twice and did nothing to slow our point guards down. He'll never be a good defender.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Nash can suck it.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

with the clippers beginning to lose, their goes brand and the mvp talks =]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
blahblehblah

blahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the rough

I pretty much agree with his list, except for the fact he list LBJ ahead of Dirk...but its a minor quibble.
Statistically LBJ is having a much better year than dirk... but the mavs as a team are doing a whole hell of alot better than the cavs. And since he obviously takes into accnt team records, as evidence by his comments, this should put Dirk ahead of LBJ. I man its not like LBJ doesnt have some talent around him to help him win also.

I totally agree however with Nash being on that list. Only a Moron would not mention Nash as an MVP candidate thus far... I mean he's been leading his team all year without amare and yet they are still at or near the top of their division. I mean jesus, look at the players who are all of a sudden "good" players with him... Boris Diaw?? eddie House? James Jones?? Raja Bell??

Say what you will about his defense, he sure makes his teams and teammates a hell of a lot better... I mean how many ppl expected the friggin suns without amare to even be 500% at this point (If i recall correctly from the Amare thread in Oct, not many). Ands thats not to mention all the other injuries they've had this year.

Last edited by blahblehblah; 12-22-2005 at 11:35 PM.
blahblehblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #9
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

nash is playing better this year than last.

Contact Me
Old 12-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
nash is playing better this year than last.
I agree.. the fact that the Suns are still probably the third best team in the West without their leading scorer says quite a bit for the leadership of Nash.. because they sure aren't getting bailed out by their bottomless talent pool..
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Nash can suck it.
so can kobe...forcibly

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #12
DeusDeOmini
Banned

DeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these parts

how is it Nash's greatness that is getting Diaw 6 assist a game?
DeusDeOmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusDeOmini
how is it Nash's greatness that is getting Diaw 6 assist a game?
Quotes from a Suns game vs Seattle, earlier this week.

SONICS GUARD RAY ALLEN (26 PTS, 4 REBS): “They got a lot of good production from their bench tonight, and we didn’t have an answer for them. Steve Nash won the MVP last year and I think a lot of people don’t appreciate the things he does or doesn’t do. I look at the stats, he didn’t have a big night statistically, but he played the majority of the game, and kind of got out of his teammates way. He passed the ball to Shawn and let him play, to Eddie when he was open, and Boris. When a point guard directs a team like that, they all develop confidence, they all learn to play very unselfishly, and I thought he was the catalyst for that tonight.”
Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
DeusDeOmini
Banned

DeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milles
Quotes from a Suns game vs Seattle, earlier this week.

SONICS GUARD RAY ALLEN (26 PTS, 4 REBS): “They got a lot of good production from their bench tonight, and we didn’t have an answer for them. Steve Nash won the MVP last year and I think a lot of people don’t appreciate the things he does or doesn’t do. I look at the stats, he didn’t have a big night statistically, but he played the majority of the game, and kind of got out of his teammates way. He passed the ball to Shawn and let him play, to Eddie when he was open, and Boris. When a point guard directs a team like that, they all develop confidence, they all learn to play very unselfishly, and I thought he was the catalyst for that tonight.”
have you watched PHO play?

Diaw makes sensational passes, he is just finally getting pt, that has nothing to do with cash. Sure, he gets guys involved, no question, but its not like he's playing with complete spares. I mean he gets open looks for good 3pt shooters (Bell, jones, jj) and Marion and Diaw create for themselves and others accordingly as well.
DeusDeOmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:06 AM   #15
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
have you watched PHO play?

Diaw makes sensational passes, he is just finally getting pt, that has nothing to do with cash. Sure, he gets guys involved, no question, but its not like he's playing with complete spares. I mean he gets open looks for good 3pt shooters (Bell, jones, jj) and Marion and Diaw create for themselves and others accordingly as well.
Yes, I have watched Diaw play.

Those were not my words, those are the words of Ray Allen. It was he who was opining that Nash makes his team better.

One doesn't get into the NBA without some drive, skill and talent, unless you are 7 feet tall, Diaw is now showing his talent. This was a take from Lang at Slam on Diaw,
Quote:
It's unclear who the "quality player" is that Belkin is talking about, since Boris Diaw is the only player the Hawks are giving up, and we've all seen what he brings to the table.
I believe Lang thought Diaw to be a complete spare. If you read the Links, you know that Lang loves his Hawks and probably saw more of Diaw than one could imagine, certainly more than I saw. Diaw was universally considered to be a throw in on the Johnson trade. Not much was expected of him and to date he seems to have exceeded expectations. Coincidence?

Quote:
"When a point guard directs a team like that, they all develop confidence, they all learn to play very unselfishly, and I thought he was the catalyst for that tonight.”
Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:43 PM   #16
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Good god, this guy is a f*cking idiot. It's bad enough that he has Nash on the list at all, let alone ahead of Dirk. And of course, there's good ol' Tim Duncan. I wonder, how on god's green earth is Duncan ahead of Dirk? Because the Spurs are a single game ahead of the Mavericks? A team's record is essential to a players MVP canidacy, and idiots like this are incredibly selective when choosing to consider this, and CONSTANTLY contradict themselves. For example, if record has anything to do with canidacy, then Steve Nash is automatically gone, because Phoenix's record was the ONLY thing that got him the award last year... Don't give me any bullsh*t about his numbers... they were impressive sure, but hardly MVP worthy. So record apparently is very important; its the sole reason Duncan is listed, because as Anthony himself said, his numbers won't blow you away. Yet, if record is so important then why the F*CK isn't Dirk listed, let alone ahead of LeBron and *cringe* Nash? Either it matters or it doesn't... apparently it does because Duncan's on the list... yet doesn't, because Nash, and LeBron are ahead of Dirk... This moron, and the rest of the idiots like him need to make up their minds. If record matters, then Dirk is automatically at the top of the list, or close to it as his numbers are better than Duncan's, and the Mavs are only one game behind. If record isn't important, then why the hell isn't Kobe ahead of Nash and Duncan.... G*ddamnit, stuff like this really pisses me off.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:57 PM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

...who doesn't enjoy a good spiral rant...
Old 12-25-2005, 12:18 AM   #18
alby
Guru

IMO

its brand, dirk, nash, bron

if the clipps falter OR the mavs finish 1st in the west, mvp goes to dirk.

Contact Me