Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #41
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

George has historically played spot minutes at the 4, so there's precedent for that, though as I said in another thread I think there are only a few matchups where using him in that way would be more than a last resort. And the 11/12th man characterization goes too far, I think. He's a highly capable defender, above average rebounder, and (pre-injury) a guy who can knock down an open three pointer with reasonable efficiency. If you have that basic skill package out of your backup SF I think you should be quite happy with the way that position is being manned. His almost complete lack of offensive versatility means he'd be a bad choice as a starter on most teams, but if his three point shot is there he could fit just fine in the starting lineup on a team like SA that has legit offensive weapons in the starting lineup at the 1, 2, and 4.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #42
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is we are getting post injury devean George. Anyway, I wasnt very clear or to be more exact i worded my last post wrong. For the mavs he is the 11th or 12th man. He could be a solid 9th or 10th man for some teams too. For the mavs,
Dirk, jho, Damp, Terry, Diop, Buck, Devin, Aj, Stack, and croshere are all higher on the depth chart imo.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #43
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

The Spurs deals were bigger than the Deavan George deal in my opinion.

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #44
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

George could be a sixth man on a lot of teams Five, even a starter if the situation presents itself.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #45
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiosity, 5-0, let's say George comes in and plays quality defense (even looking at last year's numbers I see plenty of cause for optimism on this front) and rebounds at a rate that's been typical for him throughout his career (~8.5 per 48 as a SF), AND shoots 35% from three (that's the lowest percentage he connected on in any single year from 01/02 through 04/05). Would you start to feel better about him being more than an 11th/12th man on this team? Or do you just not like the guy's game and so wouldn't be satisfied with even those numbers?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #46
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Call me weird, but I think the acqusition of Buckner was our best move this offseason. I think he is going to start at SG, and the combination of his defense + 3-pt shooting (I pray) will be something we did not have last season. He is also gives 200% every night. As long as his shooting is consistent he's a difference maker. I am not sure why he was not included on the 10 best small moves list, maybe it was his salary (3K too much?) or maybe I am embellishing his abilities.
purplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #47
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I don't think George could start for another team, maybe he could be a sixth man. I think a lot of us are overrating George a little.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #48
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I also think buckner addition will be greater than georges. I also think that the AJohnson addition will be greater than georges. All depending on injuries of course.

Buckner imo will at least be able to be a safety valve when/if a possession goes awry whereas griffin could not. However I wouldn't be surprised to see our rebounding dip some.

Johnson will allow devin/jason to play a lot more together without having to have marquis run the point when they are out or jason want's to stay at sg. Armstrong was pretty horrific offensively and running the team. But he was good at running and pestering people that's for sure.

To continue I also think croshure will be a better fit than keith was, mainly because I think that if they go to a dirk/croshere lineup he'll play much bigger and more physical that keith did. Dirk is always better when he can play alongside someone who is a little more physical.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 08-10-2006 at 09:14 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #49
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I'm actually thinking our rebounding will stay quite strong. Buck's a step down from Griffin, but AC's significantly better than KVH, and any minutes George takes from Stack at SF will provide a boost as well.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #50
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I think George definately has a purpose on this team. It may only be to add even more depth, but he still has a purpose. Do I think he's going to come in and be Dallas' number 2 go-to guy, no. Do I think that he will come in handy when J-Ho, Terry & Devin all go down with injurys simultaniously, abso-frgin-lutely! Better than having to pull players out of the D-League at the end of the season. I wasn't a fan of him either because, well.... he was a Laker. But face it, he can ball. Now he's one of the boys in blue.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #51
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c
I'm actually thinking our rebounding will stay quite strong. Buck's a step down from Griffin, but AC's significantly better than KVH, and any minutes George takes from Stack at SF will provide a boost as well.
I think you are right about AC and KVH. But buckner won't be the rebounder that griffin was I'm sure. It may wash out, hope so.

You could almost map the mavs advantage based on rebounds. If they were outrebounding a team 90+ % of the time they were outscoring 'em as well.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #52
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

George does have a purpose on this team, and he's a nice addition but I would agree with dude in saying that AJ and Buck are more significant contributions. It will be nice to have a solid backup for Jho and a lot of Finals experience from George though.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #53
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Buckner will likley be the player that contributes the most yes, Johnson is imo of the three the best overall player (and a steal), and George is an amazing player to have as an 8th option. The list should have had Johnson at the top because giving up nothing and gaining a starter quality guard is more impressive than signing free agents.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 PM   #54
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
Buckner will likley be the player that contributes the most yes, Johnson is imo of the three the best overall player (and a steal), and George is an amazing player to have as an 8th option. The list should have had Johnson at the top because giving up nothing and gaining a starter quality guard is more impressive than signing free agents.
Word. Well said.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #55
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c
Just out of curiosity, 5-0, let's say George comes in and plays quality defense (even looking at last year's numbers I see plenty of cause for optimism on this front) and rebounds at a rate that's been typical for him throughout his career (~8.5 per 48 as a SF), AND shoots 35% from three (that's the lowest percentage he connected on in any single year from 01/02 through 04/05). Would you start to feel better about him being more than an 11th/12th man on this team? Or do you just not like the guy's game and so wouldn't be satisfied with even those numbers?
If he comes in and plays solid ball i will be quite pleased. I dont really expect it but if he does i will be thrilled because it will help the mavs. I actually was a george fan when he first came into the nba and I was quite sad to see him suck so bad last year. That said anything he contributes will make me happy. My feelings toward george arent the same as Ape's feelings towards damp. I dont dislike the guy personally or anything and I dont see anyway he turns out to be a negative. I just got tired of hearing that dirk couldnt be the mvp last year because his roster was "stacked". I am quite certain that that will come up again this year and devean George will be used as an example of the amazing talent dallas has. Im just pointing out that he was one of the scrubs that played with kobe last year and will now be one of the stars that plays with dirk both according to the same media. I just wanted to call BS before it actually happens because i know that it will.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #56
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I just got tired of hearing that dirk couldnt be the mvp last year because his roster was "stacked". I am quite certain that that will come up again this year and devean George will be used as an example of the amazing talent dallas has. Im just pointing out that he was one of the scrubs that played with kobe last year and will now be one of the stars that plays with dirk both according to the same media. I just wanted to call BS before it actually happens because i know that it will.
That's actually a very good point 5-0, and it sucks that something like that has to be true with the media nowadays.