Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

I just started reading the re-cap of "The Lie" and it finally kind of sunk in...I don't know....I'm still feeling kind of like a remedial, short-bus, special needs kind of watcher of lost, so maybe this has been discussed before...

Why the hell did the Oceanic 6 need to lie to protect the left-behinds? Ostensibly, they're lying to protect the L-Bs from Widmore, but that's nonsense...this pretext for the lie doesn't hold a bit ofwater....not only is it unnecessary to lie to protect from Widmore because the island is somewhere else in space/time, but also because Widmore knows damn good and well that they're lying. IOW, it's no use to lie to Widmore, it's unnecessary to lie to Widmore....why the lie?

hmmm....

I guess what i'm saying is that maybe "THE LIE" is not the Oceanic 6's faux story per se, but rather "THE LIE" is that they're lying to protect the L-Bs when in fact they're lying for some heretofore undisclosed reason....

....and in re Hurley's guilt...maybe Hurley's not in on the real lie, and that's why he just can't understand why they're lying...and that's why he's the one asking the questions...
Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Why the hell did the Oceanic 6 need to lie to protect the left-behinds? Ostensibly, they're lying to protect the L-Bs from Widmore, but that's nonsense...this pretext for the lie doesn't hold a bit ofwater....not only is it unnecessary to lie to protect from Widmore because the island is somewhere else in space/time, but also because Widmore knows damn good and well that they're lying. IOW, it's no use to lie to Widmore, it's unnecessary to lie to Widmore....why the lie?
IMO, the idea of lying is to protect the island from being exploited, and not necessarily the survivors.

Wasn't that was the sole purpose of Locke telling Jack to lie once they had returned home (in the Season 4 finale)?

But either way, Jack is just about every character with a strong personality's b*tch (Ben, Locke), because he is arguably the most easily manipulated character on the show.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
IMO, the idea of lying is to protect the island from being exploited, and not necessarily the survivors.
Why would those 6 want to protect the island? They don't believe in its mysterious powers like Locke, Ben or Widmore do.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
IMO, the idea of lying is to protect the island from being exploited, and not necessarily the survivors...
whether it's the island or the left-behinds, the point is the same...

a) Widmore can't find the Island because it moved, not because they're lying;
b) Widmore knows they're lying;

the notion that they're lying to keep Widmore from exploiting the island makes no sense.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
Why would those 6 want to protect the island? They don't believe in its mysterious powers like Locke, Ben or Widmore do.
I don't know about that...I believe all of the survivors have some sort of hunch that the island has mysterious powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
whether it's the island or the left-behinds, the point is the same...

a) Widmore can't find the Island because it moved, not because they're lying;
b) Widmore knows they're lying;

the notion that they're lying to keep Widmore from exploiting the island makes no sense.
I'm coming from the perspective that they do not know Charles Widmore even exists. How could they? (correct me if I'm wrong here)

They're simply lying to protect the island from being exploited by anybody.

When Locke asked Jack to lie, it was specifically for purposes of protecting it (as it was a place for "miracles")

Referring to your part b), won't Widmore only know that they are lying if he was the one that planted the fake Oceanic 815? If he wasn't the one that planted it, he might not necessarily know that they are lying.

Anyways, I myself am quite perplexed by this whole thing--just trying to type out my thoughts.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
They're simply lying to protect the island from being exploited by anybody.
My problem with this ^^^ is simply that Hurly is absolutely right -- there's no need to protect the island by lying because the island can protect itself by hurling itself through space and time. I mean....if I knew that the island could up and move itself 15 years into the past or change oceans or something, I wouldn't feel terribly compelled to tell a story to keep anyone from finding the island.

A more plausible reason I believe is that they're lying because people would think they're freaking nuts -- this was brought up when Hurly was arguing that they shouldn't lie.

But the thing is, I don't get the slightest sense that this is motivating any of them to lie in the least -- the only reason they (jack as I recall) pushed this reason on Hurly is because he was trying to push Hurly's hot buttons ('you crazy fat bastard, if you don't lie it's back to the looney bin for you').

Tags
best show ever, best show on tv, excellent television, lost stubby, lost! lost! my precious!, wait - i'm lost