Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Because a license plate that says "Native Oklahoman" would just suck ass.

SAN ANTONIO - Texans now have one more choice when it comes to finding the perfect license plate.

The "Native Texan" plate was officially unveiled Friday in San Antonio.

For an extra $30, drivers can adorn their bumpers with images of the Alamo and the San Jacinto Monument set against a Texas flag background.

Texas DOT
"Finally we have a license plate for very special people -- native Texans," said Elaine Milam Vetter, historian general of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, which operates the Alamo and other historic sites around the state.

But don't worry about digging out your birth certificate to prove your eligibility. Anyone in the state with a car can buy the plate, though Vetter -- who was issued the first plate to recognize her effort in creating it -- expects the public to police itself.

"I can't imagine anyone who's not a native Texan buying it," said the seventh-generation Texan, who counts Texas independence figures Ben Milam and Collin McKinney among her ancestors.

Also Online
Texas DOT Special License Plates

According to 2000 census data, nearly 13 million of the state's 20.8 million residents were born in the state.

The DRT will receive $22 from every plate sold to use for upkeep at the historic sites the organization oversees, and for education programs in Texas history.

"This is another way to raise money from the people of Texas," said state Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, who introduced the legislation to create the new plate.

Vetter said it costs the DRT about $5 million a year just to operate the Alamo. The vast majority of that money now comes from gift-shop revenue, she said.

Along with the Alamo, the DRT's properties include the 19th-century French Legation building in Austin, the J.B. Wells house in Gonzales and the Cradle, a small structure in Galveston where the DRT's founders began to organize the group.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online at: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....78082fe2.html
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2003, 03:46 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Because a license plate that says "Native Oklahoman" would just suck ass.

cool..i'll get one
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:34 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw this on the news tonight. I may consider it too.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:51 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I will probably get one. Anything to make the damn Yankees upset.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:09 AM   #5
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I want one that says "Native Oklahomans just suck ass."
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:02 PM   #6
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

i think the other states should offer "native texan" plates. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

my dad was in the military, so i was born out of state... can i still be a native?
Old 09-06-2003, 03:04 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Because a license plate that says "Native Oklahoman" would just suck ass.

I say you can smiles.....

You know, I am relieved that all my kids were born in Texas. My company was talking about moving me to PENNSYLVANIA a couple of years ago. I probably would have quit, but still scary to think about it.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

i used to sympathize (as a kid) with people who had to be born in other states - nothing to be proud of!

(i'm not so bad now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] some other states are okay.)