Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-23-2016, 01:22 AM   #1
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Dirk, Parsons, Wes, Dwill, JJ, Devin, Powell, Anderson I feel are almost locks for various reasons- contract, asset, core, etc. So I'll take the over on that one.
Not that I think it'll happen but the only silver lining I see in that that ludicrous JJB contract is he can be stretch waived as its a four yr deal.

And if one more person says "but the cap explosion!" I'm gonna lose my shit. That extra 7mil(my memory numbers may be off?) or so given to Wes and JJB that we'll be lacking this summer is going to be huge.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:06 AM   #2
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Not that I think it'll happen but the only silver lining I see in that that ludicrous JJB contract is he can be stretch waived as its a four yr deal.

And if one more person says "but the cap explosion!" I'm gonna lose my shit. That extra 7mil(my memory numbers may be off?) or so given to Wes and JJB that we'll be lacking this summer is going to be huge.
Yeah I also doubt they stretch JJ. And out of the guys I listed only Dwill is less than a "lock" due to him most likely wanting more than his player option. I do think he wants to stay and looking at the pg market only Conley, Clarkson, and Jennings are guys that are near or above his level(not going to count rondo obviously). Clarkson is restricted and plays for LA so idk what to make of him. Conley will require significantly more money and I'd much rather have Dwill than Jennings. So I think the two sides stay together personally. As for the Centers I'm not confident any of them return. No idea what Zaza's market will be but he fits IMO what a lot of teams would like to have and I think we pursue DH12. McGee can't crack rotation now, so I'm not confident he returns. Salah barely plays as well and we just took a flyer on David Lee at the 5 not the 4 so clearly RC isn't enamored with him(especially in conjunction with Powell playing ahead of him some nights). IMO if Salah or McGee is here next year it would mean we failed in free agency(again).

--Edit--
Yeah that extra money is gonna prevent us from something I'm sure, whether it means renouncing someone to get a player or not having enough to get quality bench players which we sorely need.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 02-23-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Not having extra cap space is what surprised me when Mavs chose not to trade Felton, and keep both JJ and Harris. I thought that if Felton stays, at least one of them goes.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

McGee should be playing a lot more IMO. Yeah, he makes mistakes, but he can do things no other big man on the roster can come close to. What's the problem Rick? It's not like our defense is going to get any worse. As much as I hate to say it, any time Dirk us on the floor, we're going to be at a disadvantage defensively. I'd rather take my chances with McGee at this point.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
McGee should be playing a lot more IMO. Yeah, he makes mistakes, but he can do things no other big man on the roster can come close to. What's the problem Rick? It's not like our defense is going to get any worse. As much as I hate to say it, any time Dirk us on the floor, we're going to be at a disadvantage defensively. I'd rather take my chances with McGee at this point.
Rick is doing a lot of weird things with our bigs. He didn't even give Mejri a look until about 25 games into the season when McGee was out most of that time and Zaza was starving for some relief.
McGee has looked decent nearly every time he's played but then several games of DNP for no apparent reason.

Now they sign a PF who can't play D at all but will play Center along side of Dirk who doesn't play much D either.

Powell shows promise and is only 24 but Rick has no interest at all in developing youth.

I'm completely convinced that Rick has no interest coaching guys who have not reached the peak in their career.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any "advanced stats" they like to share regarding McGee and his effect on various lineup configurations? Not my strong suit

Just a cursory glance shows a per of 21.09
Good stats per 36. Prorated to something like 17-13-2.5

Last edited by mac222b; 02-23-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
Javale McGeeber

Javale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to all

Quote:
Anyone have any "advanced stats" they like to share regarding McGee and his effect on various lineup configurations?
Yes. With 99.3%per48, I destroy any lineup configurations.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Answer: Dirk Nowitzki and David Lee at the 4 and 5 on defense

Question: How do you convince a 21st century NBA team to stop shooting three-pointers because they get a shot from inside 3 feet from the basket whenever they want one.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
Answer: Dirk Nowitzki and David Lee at the 4 and 5 on defense

Question: How do you convince a 21st century NBA team to stop shooting three-pointers because they get a shot from inside 3 feet from the basket whenever they want one.
Take a look:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...-shot-blockers

It all makes sense now.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Take a look:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...-shot-blockers

It all makes sense now.
Might as well say defense isn't in Mavs' DNA.
17th in points allowed should indicate a change of philosophy is needed.
Keep this up and a new change of DNA will be needed.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Might as well say defense isn't in Mavs' DNA.
17th in points allowed should indicate a change of philosophy is needed.
Keep this up and a new change of DNA will be needed.
DNA is not something that can be taught -- it's about ability, not philosophy.

You can't make a gourmet meal with shit ingredients.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

He just selected another "ingredient" with the no defense gene. It fits his stated philosophy.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
He just selected another "ingredient" with the no defense gene. It fits his stated philosophy.
Rick Carlisle does not sign players -- that's Donnie and Cuban's job.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #14
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:

Think you miss the point....no two coaches or two GMs have the same DNA.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #15
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Think you miss the point....no two coaches or two GMs have the same DNA.
I think you missed the point -- Rick can't make players who don't play good interior defense play good interior defense... If he had 2011 Tyson Chandler the strategy would be 100% different.

It's not a philosophical problem, it's personnel problem.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #16
Underdog

David Lee played 25 minutes tonight, Zaza only played 8... Lee ended up with Zaza's typical production: a 14/14 double-double.

Is it the system?

Last edited by Underdog; 02-26-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:35 PM   #17
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
David Lee played 25 minutes tonight, Zaza only played 8... Lee ended up with Zaza's typical production: a 14/14 double-double.

Is it the system?
Only one way to find out. #CV3at5
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #18
mxr2000

mxr2000 is a jewel in the roughmxr2000 is a jewel in the roughmxr2000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Is it the system?
We played better with David Lee on the Flour for the Smallball this made me understand why we need Kmart on RC SB system..
mxr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #19
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:

Is it the system?
I'm convinced it is and the reason I'm changing my stance on Dwight Howard.
If guys like Zaza and Lee can put up those types of numbers imagine what Howard would do.

The Mavs could use that as a selling point to him which could very well revitalize his career and bring Mavs back into contention.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for Dwight Howard. He could put up 15-12 in his sleep here.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #21
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I'm all for Dwight Howard. He could put up 15-12 in his sleep here.
I've been critical of Rick's style of play this year but I'd love that system with Howard here in addition to or instead of Zaza. Love Zaza and want to keep him here if at all possible but Ricks system needs an athletic defensive beast center to man the middle. Chandler and Howard are perfect for Rick's system.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #22
mac222b
Diamond Member

Howard's going to get $25m from some team. Too many teams with cap space to expect him to take much discount. It's a question of how they value him. Signing Howard would effect depth.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #23
Underdog

Quote:
Howard's going to get $25m from some team. Too many teams with cap space to expect him to take much discount. It's a question of how they value him. Signing Howard would effect depth.
If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that depth doesn't mean squat when your starting 5 has glaring holes in it.

"A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse!" -Richard III... I'd sacrifice anyone (or everyone) on our bench for a legit starting center.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-27-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #24
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Just as it was a few years ago, if Howard wants to come to Dallas, the front office has to welcome him with open arms, flaws and all.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #25
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Just as it was a few years ago, if Howard wants to come to Dallas, the front office has to welcome him with open arms, flaws and all.
Only after Horford turned them down
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #26
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Only after Horford turned them down
I like Horford and his versatility to play both center and PF and he looks like a viable 3pt threat this season for the first time. Impressive that he's added that to his his arsenal at age almost 30. He's at 34% on 176 attempts. Last season, his previous high attempts wise, he had 36 the entire season. His rebounding seems to be trending down...

It'd be tough to turn down such a skilled big man that's also a great locker room guy for the likes of Howard and Hassan- though they probably have bigger upside and might fit better next to Dirk.

I don't see Horford coming here but if he did you could have a nice bigs rotation with Al, Dirk, and guys like Zaza and Meijiri. Powell could be shipped for a pick or cap space if necessary as Dirk and Horford would eat all available PF minutes.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:21 AM   #27
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Yeah right, I highly doubt Dwight is going to consider Dallas. My assumption on summer free agency would be him going to like Boston or some east team.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #28
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Yeah right, I highly doubt Dwight is going to consider Dallas. My assumption on summer free agency would be him going to like Boston or some east team.
@JohnnyNBA: "Dwights people reached out to Dallas to see if they would be interested in a max deal this summer. Dallas said no."
He must have some interest in coming here.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #29
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
@JohnnyNBA: "Dwights people reached out to Dallas to see if they would be interested in a max deal this summer. Dallas said no."
He must have some interest in coming here.
Wasn't this before Dan Fegan got axed?
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #30
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
Wasn't this before Dan Fegan got axed?
Yes, and I imagine that will severely hurt our chances at landing him, but I have to think Dwight told his people to inquire about Dallas' interest in him this summer.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #31
rimrocker
Diamond Member

I don't know that much about Horford but if he's becoming a 3pt shooter he'd probably be more suited as a replacement for Dirk in Rick's system and we'd still need to find that defender/rebounder/rim protector type center.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #32
Underdog

@espn_macmahon: David Lee expressed appreciation to Celtics staffers who helped prepare him to hit the ground running in Dallas by putting him through a boot camp of sorts after he fell out of Boston's rotation. "They challenged me for six weeks to get in the best shape of my life," said Lee, who expected to change teams via trade or a buyout. "I tried to do that." Lee cut his diet to essentially proteins and vegetables and worked out under the supervision of Celtics trainers two or three times per day. He has averaged 13.5 points and 11.5 rebounds during the Mavs' two-game winning streak.