Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

View Poll Results: Who/What will you be cheering for?
Lakers 34 33.01%
Celtics 30 29.13%
Just a seven game series 15 14.56%
Not even going to watch 24 23.30%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #561
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
That's how it works with the media (and in this case the fans too). They build you up to tear you down. I don't think Kobe ever compared himself to Jordan but because he's about the same height and plays a similar game, it's his cross to bear.
Agree. Kobe has gone on the record and begged not to be compared to MJ..."Let me be me"...yet the comparison's continue.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #562
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Agree. Kobe has gone on the record and begged not to be compared to MJ..."Let me be me"...yet the comparison's continue.
My comparison with C. Ronaldo was indeed wrong. Kobe is arrogant and i don´t like him but he absolutely is not that dumb. And maybe in a decayed torso - there is somewhere a good heart...sometimes
Old 06-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #563
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

This will not actually impact Kobe's reputation in the long run.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #564
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
I am most definitely sure of that.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #565
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Depends on what happens from here on out. If he goes on to win a title then it won't. If he never makes it back then this will definitely be a black mark on his legacy.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #566
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Great win Celtics. James Posey is one heck of a basketball player. I never thought anyone could do that to kobe in crunch time. That man needs a raise. Him and Bowen keep getting it done at any age. Celts was huge on that back line and PJ Brown can still play at his age. They had to play defense and they did. Pierce was simply great and i never knew he was this good and i always knew Garnett was and he showed it.

Not many teams can stop the Lakers penetration but they did. Kobe was so frustrated and Posey guarding him so tuff, at times he would just jack it up from 35 feet because that is all Posey would let him have. Kobe is great and even shooting 35 and 40 footer's he is dangerous but not like driving for layups and dunks.

Bynum needs to come back and the Lakers need to pick up a Gino pg, Parker, Harris, Chris paul, Williams from Utah type pg. To where it will make it easier for Bynum, Gasol, Kobe and even a couple 3 point shooters, to drive and kick. Fisher is good but they need a young penetrater. Great win for the Celts and they did what i didn't think they could do, shut Kobe down in the clutch. Great defense guys.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 PM   #567
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

The Celtics did to Kobe what the Pistons did to Jordan back in the 89 and 90. The Pistons completely focused on MJ and dared the rest of the Bulls to beat them. Two years in a row MJ's team mates let him down. Kobe played well enough to win but with little support from the rest of the squad but the Lakers went down in flames just like the Bulls in 89 and 90. When the rest of the Lakers step up like the Bulls did in 91 they will have more success. The problem of the Lakers is they do not have the personnel with the same defensive mindset of the starting suporting cast of the Bulls.

IMO the Lakers are not going to go out there and find the missing piece, the current rosters has to commit to becoming better players. Gasol nees to spend most of the summer in the weight room and Bynum is going to have to come back healthy and be a presence in the middle.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #568
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOutWest
The Celtics did to Kobe what the Pistons did to Jordan back in the 89 and 90. The Pistons completely focused on MJ and dared the rest of the Bulls to beat them. Two years in a row MJ's team mates let him down. Kobe played well enough to win but with little support from the rest of the squad but the Lakers went down in flames just like the Bulls in 89 and 90. When the rest of the Lakers step up like the Bulls did in 91 they will have more success. The problem of the Lakers is they do not have the personnel with the same defensive mindset of the starting suporting cast of the Bulls.
It wasn't just teammates - Jordan stepped his game up as well... MJ was still pretty young when the Pistons put the clamps on, but he eventually figured out how to beat the Jordan Rule and went on to sweep the Pistons in the '91 Eastern Conference Finals before winning his first ring...

Kobe has no excuse for getting locked down... Sure, his teammates need to step up, but when they don't, Kobe (like Mike) needs to throw down 40+ points and hope his team shows up the next game...

Sure, Pippen/Grant/Cartwright/Armstrong/Paxson is a better supporting cast than Gasol/Odom/Fisher/Radmanovic/Walton (hell, you could toss Bynum in there too)... BUT look at the teams each cast had to overcome:

90-91 Lakers - Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Byron Scott, Sam Perkins, Vlade Divac, A.C. Green

07-08 Celtics - Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, James Posey, Kendrick Perkins

Kobe will NEVER be like Mike!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #569
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
It wasn't just teammates - Jordan stepped his game up as well... MJ was still pretty young when the Pistons put the clamps on, but he eventually figured out how to beat the Jordan Rule and went on to sweep the Pistons in the '91 Eastern Conference Finals before winning his first ring...

Kobe has no excuse for getting locked down... Sure, his teammates need to step up, but when they don't, Kobe (like Mike) needs to throw down 40+ points and hope his team shows up the next game...

Sure, Pippen/Grant/Cartwright/Armstrong/Paxson is a better supporting cast than Gasol/Odom/Fisher/Radmanovic/Walton (hell, you could toss Bynum in there too)... BUT look at the teams each cast had to overcome:

90-91 Lakers - Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Byron Scott, Sam Perkins, Vlade Divac, A.C. Green

07-08 Celtics - Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, James Posey, Kendrick Perkins

Kobe will NEVER be like Mike!
I don't think MJ figured out the "Jordan Rules" as much as the rules did not work once Pippen/Grant/Cartwright/Paxson started pulling their own weight. I do think Kobe could and SHOULD have done more at the games at home. I think he went off for 38 in one game but I was really disappointed in his inability to close out game 4. MJ would have found a way to win that game after his team mates could not hold on to a 24 point lead.

Kobe is not as good as MJ, Kobe does a few things better but overall MJ has a more complete package and 6 rings which put him above Kobe. Kobe is not MJ but he is the closest thing we will probably see unless LeBron decides to play consistent defense. If LeBron were to become a very good defender he would be better than both Kobe and MJ, the guy is amazing. Since MJ's retirement there has not been as good a back court player as Kobe, the challengers came and went, Carter/T-Mac/Wade/etc.., only King James has the ability to surpass Kobe and possibly MJ IMO.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #570
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Celtics did to Kobe what the Pistons did to Jordan back in the 89 and 90.
No they didn’t. The Pistons kicked Jordan’s ass in the late 80’s. You can’t play defense like that on perimeter players anymore.

The other thing I’d point out is that those battles against Det. were Jordan’s first taste of big time playoff basketball. Kobe’s been there, done that and even been shut down before (Tayshun Prince - 2004).

I’m hearing a lot of this “oh, the Celtics threw the kitchen sink at Kobe”. I didn't see it. They played defense and he settled for a lot of jump shots. Hell, I think they forced they ball out of Joe Johnson’s hands more than they did Kobe’s.

Quote:
Kobe played well enough to win but with little support from the rest of the squad but the Lakers
You have a very liberal definition of well enough to win. The MVP and unquestioned best player on your team shooting 40% is not playing well enough to win in my mind. Now they could have won if his teammates carried him but it’s not supposed to work that way.

Kobe underperformed on the biggest stage of his career and he should be called out for it.

Last edited by dirno2000; 06-19-2008 at 10:03 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #571
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

It's not Kobe's fault his teammates didn't score 40 points to win Game 6...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #572
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kobe underperformed on the biggest stage of his career and he should be called out for it.
Choker.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #573
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Good Job Boston~ Next Season lakers!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #574
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703
Dammit Horse!

Next Season MAVERICKS!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #575
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Quote:
No argument here but I would not call it a choke. Lakers choke for sure and the Celtics had a lot to do with that.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #576
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703

god dammit horse.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote