Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trade: Najera back in Dallas for Humphries/Shawne

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=4810449
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

wow...I like Najera and I guess he and Hump do similar things. But then why not keep Hump since hes younger?? I liked Hump...

...and wasn't Sean Williams talented?? (the NJ Williams)
Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

ummm. why? hump is better than najera. is this a set up for a bigger trade or something?
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
young_gunner

young_gunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i think its because najeras contract is not guaranteed next year.
but i dk about humphries contract/
young_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

great news. VIVA NAJERA!!!!! can't wait to have him back, even if he doesn't play. Probably done to get rid of non-existent Shawne Williams
Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they brought him in just in time for the Los Mavs promo.

They needed to get rid of shawne williams and najera gives the same type of game that humphries does. I like humphries better also, but he might get some playing time which would be good for hump. Tim Thomas is going to start taking his minutes I think.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

A trade that doesn't really matter imo unless you like seeing Najera on the bench rather than Humphries.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

What an awful trade. It doesn't even save us much money. Hump was actually solid. For those of you who haven't seen Eddie in awhile, he is literally one of the worst players in the NBA. No reason to make the bench even shorter to save next to nothing.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

It's all part of a bigger plan to land Lebron by the TDL
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hump has a 3,2Mio player option, he wont walk away from that.

Najeras 2 years left are non guaranteed. Guess it was a money move to save some LT next year.

And it opens a roster spot, maybe they like to bring back Voskuhl as insurance or preparing a bigger trade.

Last edited by sefant77; 01-09-2010 at 12:45 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
jcm28

jcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
What an awful trade. It doesn't even save us much money. Hump was actually solid. For those of you who haven't seen Eddie in awhile, he is literally one of the worst players in the NBA. No reason to make the bench even shorter to save next to nothing.
I dont like the trade either, but I hope that this leads to a bigger trade soon (as someone stated earlier).
Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #12
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

I have no clue how this has any implications towards a future trade. Especially considering apparently Gooden isn't a trading option to this FO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #13
41N

41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light41N is a glorious beacon of light

and there he is back, dirks personal haircutter...
i liked hump, hope he will get some major minutes in jersey...
41N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #14
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Humphries was underrappreciated here by Rick Carlisle (as is Beaubois). Hopefully Beaubois isn't next to get traded for someone close to retiring. Gooden is our last line of big men now. Ouch.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #15
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Well whatever is coming after this, clearly the FO is prepped to bring in another big guy. Can't imagine they'd trade away a productive player like Humphries in what is basically a salary dump if they didn't have a plan to bring in someone else to bolster our already thin frontcourt.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #16
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, not real deep with bigs now. Damp/Dirk/Gooden

TT can play the 4, but he's not a real "big". Najera is a joke if he's healthy. Another center would be nice.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #17
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

Najeras 2 years left are non guaranteed. Guess it was a money move to save some LT next year.

And it opens a roster spot, maybe they like to bring back Voskuhl as insurance or preparing a bigger trade.
Now I wouldn't mind having Voskuhl as an insurance at center. I hope sth like that was the thinking of the FO to do this trade.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #18
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

well it did free up an extra roster spot
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #19
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

This is an average day in Mavs' land: stellar win against the Spurs...... but then we lost Humphreys.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #20
young_gunner

young_gunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past

wasnt sean williams waive by the nets. maybe dallas goes after him.
young_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #21
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

+1
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #22
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner View Post
wasnt sean williams waive by the nets. maybe dallas goes after him.
Sean Williams was waived by the Nets.

Let me repeat that, cause it just sounds good in my ear as I read it.

Sean Williams. Was waived. By the Nets.

I don't think credentials like that are going to land you a job in the NBA. You played for a team that won 3 out of 36 games in the season. And they didn't think enough of you to keep you in there. Look at the guy's face:

I mean, his face literally is saying "F*** it." Why would we ever want any part of that?

Last edited by bernardos70; 01-09-2010 at 01:58 AM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

wtf....

Where is thig to tell me what I think of this deal?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #24
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
wtf....

Where is thig to tell me what I think of this deal?
Laughed aloud.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have liked to have seen Humphries remain in the rotation but if RC wasn't going to use him I can't fault Cuban for wanting to save half of Williams' salary and all of his tax dollars.

Plus that Najera contract could be a big part of a S&T this summer if that's the direction we decide to go.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #26
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Hopefully JJB and Najera won't try to sell each other any illegal leopard for their car seats. It's against league rules.

"Santa Maria! Jesus! It's Leopard! Illegal Leopard!"

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 01-09-2010 at 02:40 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #27
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

How long til we can flip Eddie?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #28
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...if this trend continues...

Ahh, yes...this trade reminds me of the good ol' days...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #29
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

young for old?

traded this: Kris Humphries (age 25)
named Mr. Basketball in the state of Minnesota, and state player of the year by the Minneapolis Star Tribune and College Basketball News.Was one of 10 finalists for the 2003 Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award, averaging a double double in his final three seasons, averaging 25.7 points, 11.4 rebounds and 5.0 assists a game as a senior.

for this: Eduardo Najera (age 33)
Najera played college basketball at the University of Oklahoma, in Norman, Oklahoma, from 1997–2000, becoming a major star there. He helped the team to four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances during his college career, as well as finishing in the school's all-time top ten in nine statistical categories. Before being drafted into the NBA in 2000, Najera received rave reviews from scouts, who boasted on Najera's quick first step and extraordinary rebounding ability.

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 01-09-2010 at 09:17 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #30
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

The only way I'm happy about this is if it's a precursor to another deal that improves the talent level of the team.

Then again, Humphries appears to be completely out of the rotation, so it probably only matters if Dampier or Gooden get hurt.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #31
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

The question may only have been: Is Humphreys $7 million better than Singleton? That's the money saved by this deal next year.

Even if you spend a million to bring in a back up center, you are still way ahead.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #32
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk must've really wanted that haircut.

What's Nick Van Exel up to?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 01-09-2010 at 10:31 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #33
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer View Post
The question may only have been: Is Humphreys $7 million better than Singleton? That's the money saved by this deal next year.

Even if you spend a million to bring in a back up center, you are still way ahead.
Good point. Singleton isn't a 5, but neither is Humphries, really.

Still need another center for the playoffs, same as before.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Dirk must've really wanted that haircut.

What's Nick Van Exel up to?
A bit more serious question: what's Shawn Bradley up to? He could come in and give us 10-15 mpg right now.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #35
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been one to fault Cubes for saving a little money here and there. He spends so much, you can't criticize him for making a value move every once in a while.

But this frustrates me. And really I guess I should be frustrated at Carlisle, not Cubes. Carlisle plays Gooden and sits Humphries no matter the matchup, no matter how either is playing. For some inexplicable reason, Gooden is depended on and Humphries is not, even though Gooden has been quite bad when taking the whole season into account.

But in the end, Humphries wasn't playing, and Cubes is spending while most other owners are killing themselves to shed money. I really can't fault him for saving some cash here. It's not like he gave away two first rounders to accomplish this (ala Phoenix).

And he actually did acquire a contract that has the potential to be valuable in a trade this summer.

I really hope a useful big man gets waived soon and we can use that last roster spot.

Obviously the people paying attention already know this, but just to nip the ridiculous discussions earlier on in the thread: This trade has absolutely nothing to do with the court. It's financial.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #36
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
But this frustrates me. And really I guess I should be frustrated at Carlisle, not Cubes. Carlisle plays Gooden and sits Humphries no matter the matchup, no matter how either is playing. For some inexplicable reason, Gooden is depended on and Humphries is not, even though Gooden has been quite bad when taking the whole season into account.
Watching the games, I've gotten frustrated a few times this season when Gooden was playing poorly because I felt like Humphries could have been given a chance to contribute. But the reality is, bench players (which both of them are) are inconsistent. And if you have to choose one of them to be your backup 5, I think Gooden is the better bet. He's got more offensive skill, and he's the better rebounder and defender of the two. Sure, he's a bonehead, but that's why he's on the bench.

None of this changes what I've said repeatedly (and I believe you agree): this team needs another center to seriously contend in the playoffs. Nobody fancy, just somebody who could give 15 mpg and who has the size to defend the rim and larger centers. I think Gooden does just fine against teams that don't have big centers (like Denver, Phoenix, San Antonio). It's the teams like the Lakers and Cavs that scare me if we don't have some more bulk.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #37
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Can we get Jake Voskuhl in here now?

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #38
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Can we get Jake Voskuhl in here now?
To be honest with you, that was my initial thought -- that they would just use the extra roster spot to sign Voskuhl.

That'd be better than nothing.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #39
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

As an aside, I can't believe we're 39 posts into this thread, and nobody has mentioned Murphy.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #40
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
To be honest with you, that was my initial thought -- that they would just use the extra roster spot to sign Voskuhl.

That'd be better than nothing.
Would there be some kind of "rule" or "waiting period" into signing Jake as a FA? There's always something that has to get into the way..

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote